It's been a long time...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 02:59 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's been a long time...

Alright everyone I've been a part of the Azine community for a long time and kinda wanted to check back with the forums and see if I should make a comeback. So this is gonna be a long story but if those of you who opened up the thread and have time to spare here it goes.

So back in 2012 I had bought my first Acura that was a 2003 TL Type S. It was an anthracite metallic color with black interior without navigation. It had 123k miles when I bought it from the 1st owner. All the maintenance records were present that gave me no worries since it was a taken care of car at the dealer that it had been purchased at. So as time went my buddy that has a 99 TL that he converted to a 6mt out of a CL Type S let me drive his UA4 that blew my mind. It was a fun experience to drive a 6mt 2nd gen TL. After that I had thought about buying one and I did. I was motivated to do a 6mt conversion on mine. I had bought a lot of parts for the conversion and I was close to getting all the things necessary to make it happen. But sadly I had lost the motivation and sold all the parts. After a while of driving it, the trans was toast at 150k miles. That was a bummer. I ended up getting rid of it and bought a 2005 Lexus IS300. After a year of having it I had gotten into an accident that ended up becoming a total loss. Sadly I wish it wasn't a total loss because I loved that car to death. After finding out that the repairs were too expensive because they came out more than the value of the car I had just shut down and getting stressed out about not having it anymore. After the accident I had my eye on another IS300 in manual but it ended up getting sold pretty quick. Then another one came up in my sight but don't know if I should buy it or not since it has 178k miles and a few rust spots on it.

So now I'm stuck debating whether I should hop back in another 2nd gen TL and finish what I had originally planned for my 1st one. If I were to hop back in another 2nd gen TL I would be thinking about getting a 1999-2001 TL since that front end looks pretty nice if you do the housings black (which I have done for someone that came out awesome!) I would like to hear some of your inputs on what would be a good choice. Now note that is300's in manual are pretty rare and they are kinda priced pretty high up there since MANUAL. I do miss the sound of a J32 motor screaming with a nice exhaust setup a bit.

Thanks for reading this thread and looking to see what some of you have to say!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:17 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I think you should really look into a 3rd Gen... Since the TLX came out the 3rd gen has come down in price and fast, Perhaps it would be the wise move to up the ladder a little bit. Get a Base model with 6mt and it would be a great platform to start with TONs of aftermarket support.

That´s my 2c.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skirmich
I think you should really look into a 3rd Gen... Since the TLX came out the 3rd gen has come down in price and fast, Perhaps it would be the wise move to up the ladder a little bit. Get a Base model with 6mt and it would be a great platform to start with TONs of aftermarket support.

That´s my 2c.
I wish I could afford a 3G TL since funds are tight. I'm still waiting for insurance to send the check for the IS300 that I no longer own :/
Old 11-25-2015, 06:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I wouldnt get back into a 2nd gen TL.
if funds are tight, you're going to have to save for a replacement transmission.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich

That´s my 2c.
This is good advice. I may actually take this because I need to buy a car very soon.

You would recommend a Base 6MT over a type-S 6MT? Are the primary differences the same between the 2G and 3G S models?
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Obviously the TL-S 6mt is the best choice but is still expensive compared to the base model... If funds are tight the base model 6mt is the way to go... BUT if you can afford the TL-S? don't look back.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
I wouldnt get back into a 2nd gen TL.
if funds are tight, you're going to have to save for a replacement transmission.
Well I will have a decent amount of money left over if I was to buy one. But the goal would be 6mt on it so that the trans issue would never have to haunt me ever again.. I'm only 22 and the insurance on me alone on a 3G TL would be high. But then again the idiots my age in this generation that had ruined it for others including myself are to blame for my rates being high.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd say go for an Acura Integra GSR. Really cheap nowadays with tons of mod support and all parts are cheap, compared to Lexus parts which cost fortunes. My bro had manual IS 300 2003. Now he has Integra GSR, says it's just as fun.