How Do You Change the Center Console Shift Bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How Do You Change the Center Console Shift Bulb?

I have an 02' Type S and the shift light in the center console went out. I also noticed that the driver's side heated seat light switch also went out.

Any links or quick overviews on how to swap out these bulbs?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I changed mine out. It was a bit tweaky since I'm not a big DIY guy. Easy tho. See the below rough guide that I got from somewhere, perhaps this site ( thanks to the author ).

Went to the local Honda dealer and got the bulb, socket and bulb if needed...cheap, a couple bucks.

I THINK the only tools I needed was a flathead driver and maybe a needle nose plier to gently remove and install the bulb.

True, They suppose to light up. If you ever clean that area, you can lift up the black plate, then the silver part that cover the shifter lights. After you lift off those two pieces you'll see the one piece that have the "P,R to D1". Lift that part up and you'll see one bulb that suppose to light up the whole letters. Take it out and put it back in and see if it comes on, if not bring the bulb the the dealer and tell them where it came from and you want to buy one. Easy work. Everthing is just popping up plates to get to the bulb.

I hope this is a bit of help, and good luck.....the console looks SO much better lit, LOL

Cheers,
Mike
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrayman
I changed mine out. It was a bit tweaky since I'm not a big DIY guy. Easy tho. See the below rough guide that I got from somewhere, perhaps this site ( thanks to the author ).

Went to the local Honda dealer and got the bulb, socket and bulb if needed...cheap, a couple bucks.

I THINK the only tools I needed was a flathead driver and maybe a needle nose plier to gently remove and install the bulb.

True, They suppose to light up. If you ever clean that area, you can lift up the black plate, then the silver part that cover the shifter lights. After you lift off those two pieces you'll see the one piece that have the "P,R to D1". Lift that part up and you'll see one bulb that suppose to light up the whole letters. Take it out and put it back in and see if it comes on, if not bring the bulb the the dealer and tell them where it came from and you want to buy one. Easy work. Everthing is just popping up plates to get to the bulb.

I hope this is a bit of help, and good luck.....the console looks SO much better lit, LOL

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks. I had some work done at the dealership last year and asked the service manager about swapping the bulb and he gave me some sob story about how much work is involved and that the labor cost would be too much. I then asked him if I could do the work and he recommended that I not try to.

This is the same guy that told me that the OEM shocks will never wear out and that I should not consider aftermarket alternatives.

My biggest gripe against Acura is that when the car is out of warranty, they tend to treat you like a second-class customer so I stick with my credo of using dealership service departments only when the car is under warranty and to use a private, trustful mechanic when the car is out of warranty.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
yeah, the center console was an hour's labour or more plus tax at my local Acura so I investigated it and found it simple enough for me to try.

Sadly some dealers and stores have that attitude. I went to my local dealership to find out some info on my TL just after I bought it, and was not really helped out. Didn't want to know kinda scenario....went to another province on biz, took it by that dealership and was treated like family. The same info was on both dealers' systems I would imagine......

If I was in a bigger tax bracket, I might use a dealer more, but like you rely on a great local shop to take care of me.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol, you guys are right. I too asked my dealer if they could change the shift bulb after an oil change (back when I first bought my Tl) and they told me it might cost hundreds to disassemble the cluster, so I should just leave it. I said GTFO, and thats what brought me to AZINE. I especially think that because our cars are older some dealers give a shat.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by suspaction
Lol, you guys are right. I too asked my dealer if they could change the shift bulb after an oil change (back when I first bought my Tl) and they told me it might cost hundreds to disassemble the cluster, so I should just leave it. I said GTFO, and thats what brought me to AZINE. I especially think that because our cars are older some dealers give a shat.
That's exactly the cause. They have a bunch of in warranty cars lined up that they can add on repair services and then bill back to Acura.

They just don't want to spend the extra time working on older, out of warranty models. Sure, they like the quick dollar for an oil change, but any type of serious mechanical work, they would rather pass on.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by suspaction
Amazing the amount of crap these guys pass onto unsuspecting car owners.

Per the advice above, I swapped out my shift bulb today at a whopping cost of $3.20 plus the gas to/from my local Honda dealer. For the record, the bulb part number is 35505-692-003. It is a 14V, 1.4W bulb. Below are some pics. It took less than 5 minutes total to disassemble and then reassemble.

Hopefully, this thread will help someone in the future with the install or at least save them from the dealership screwing them over.

The
The following users liked this post:
wrayman (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
shoulda bot an led
Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
shoulda bot an led
What is the comparible LED bulb available? Brand, part number?

The original halogen bulb lasted 11 years and 200K miles so that's pretty good.

Last edited by MSG C5; 07-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
t5 LED, i got mine on ebay, it's really cheap, so price should not be an issue