Front end "clunk" when braking, accelerating and decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front end "clunk" when braking, accelerating and decelerating

Ok, I’m getting a light “clunking” noise from the front end. BUT, the weird thing is when and how it happens. It will do this when I brake, accelerate and sometimes even when I just let off the gas. It’s as if something is shifting back and forth slightly. It will only do it once each way. Meaning if I pump the brakes it won't repeat it until I stop and accelerate to "shift" it back

I checked out as much as I could and everything looked fine so I took it to the dealer who also could not find anything wrong. They claim to have retorqued everything and said everything was tight and in good shape. Told me the problem was to intermittent to diagnose.

So, I’m lost! Any ideas what this could be??

I’m thinking of trying another dealership or a front end shop.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mmmmm well since dealer checked it, i was going to say either ur endlinks or the tophats for the shocks...

if ur mechanically inclinded, jackup the car, and tugg on everything, mainly the endlinks to see if its broken
Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
here comes the snow!

same problem here, i wouldnt say its a loud clunk but i can definately here it from inside the car. i noticed it happend when taking off and deccelarating, then i also noticed it always happens when im turning at slow speed.

haven't taken it in to the dealer yet, i'm brizoke. let me know what you find!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MurdaZ
mmmmm well since dealer checked it, i was going to say either ur endlinks or the tophats for the shocks...

if ur mechanically inclinded, jackup the car, and tugg on everything, mainly the endlinks to see if its broken
Checked out the end links and they're tight. Just like everything else.
This is so frustrating.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sfont012
same problem here, i wouldnt say its a loud clunk but i can definately here it from inside the car. i noticed it happend when taking off and deccelarating, then i also noticed it always happens when im turning at slow speed.

haven't taken it in to the dealer yet, i'm brizoke. let me know what you find!
Mine doesn't ever do it when turing.

When or IF I get this figured out, I'll post it here.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

when my endlink was broken, i heard it on turns and inclines, and sometimes on accel/decel.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
check the front and rear motor mounts from under the car- for fluid leakage
Also - not sure if 02 still has this- look for vacuum line to the motor mounts!
Some years- have vac boosted mounts that stiffen on hard throttle application!
Look for loose or broken vac lines or ends of line slip off easily- they need to be tight

Do the old school motor mount test with friend-- foot on brake and gas in gear- wheels bloked- you safely at the side of the car- watching for engine movement as its revved and put in and out of gear
Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^ how much should it move? i heard an inch is the max it can tilt up
Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Look for loose or broken vac lines or ends of line slip off easily- they need to be tight

Do the old school motor mount test with friend-- foot on brake and gas in gear- wheels bloked- you safely at the side of the car- watching for engine movement as its revved and put in and out of gear

My engine moves a little under load, but not much. Probably about the "normal" amount.
I also don't hear the clunking sound when doing this.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
very very little is the normal amount- hydraulic filled mounts with some having a vac boost!!! they remove vibration but dont allow movement
If you have over 60k miles it may be broken
stop by the dealer and ask them to show you this same test on another car of your year
Old 08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

very very little is the normal amount- hydraulic filled mounts with some having a vac boost!!! they remove vibration but dont allow movement
If you have over 60k miles it may be broken
stop by the dealer and ask them to show you this same test on another car of your year
Thanks for the info. I'm headed back to the dealer with it today, I'll bring this up and see if they can look at mine and maybe show me on another car.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

I am having the same issue.
My mechanic replaced all engine mounts and front right axle. but that didn't solve the issue.
I am planning to take it to the dealer, but according to Jeff, the dealer won't be able to find the issue.

This is annoying little issue. It doesn't affect the performance though.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im having the same issue with my 07 type S. I'm gonna be stopping by the dealer soon so I'll let you know if they find anything on mine (even though theyre different cars it should be the same problem) Its like a single tick every time you hit the gas or let off of it right?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
I have the same issue. and the creaking too. It happens accel, braking and bumps. all at slow speeds, no high speed sounds. Im starting to think its mounts for the clunk. and the creaking, well im lubing stuff up since i dont see or feel anything thats broken.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get a clunk every now and again. I cannot pin point it to anything, I am suspecting motor mounts.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Take it to another garage. Apparently they miss something!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
here comes the snow!

if one of these vacuum lines were to come lose and i was standing right by the car when it happened, would i hear anything?

about a month ago i swapped out stock wheels for some newly aquired rj inspyres. i jacked the car up witha hydraulic jack and swapped wheels one by one. after finishing the last wheel and releasing the pressure from the jack and bringing the last wheel down to the ground i heard a very weird noise that kind of sounded like air was coming out of something and it wasnt a tire. Almost sounded like an air compreesor. this sound lasted for a few seconds. Ever since then this clunking sound has been non stop.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by sfont012
if one of these vacuum lines were to come lose and i was standing right by the car when it happened, would i hear anything?

about a month ago i swapped out stock wheels for some newly aquired rj inspyres. i jacked the car up witha hydraulic jack and swapped wheels one by one. after finishing the last wheel and releasing the pressure from the jack and bringing the last wheel down to the ground i heard a very weird noise that kind of sounded like air was coming out of something and it wasnt a tire. Almost sounded like an air compreesor. this sound lasted for a few seconds. Ever since then this clunking sound has been non stop.
Sfront012 did you ever find the problem and solution?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 AM
2nd Gear

Help!!!!

Hi There,

I am experiencing the exact problem that Jeff H described. Couldn't be anymore similar.

Did anyone end up finding a solution or the cause of the clunk!?????
Old 04-19-2016, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by thatdudenucci
Hi There,

I am experiencing the exact problem that Jeff H described. Couldn't be anymore similar.

Did anyone end up finding a solution or the cause of the clunk!?????
did you read any other post than the original? motor mounts
Old 04-19-2016, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear

I have done a lot to my car. I have metal motor mounts all around to get rid of the stupid vaccuum ones that Acura used originally.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
I also have the same problem, recently doing a caliper change noticed on the passenger side while shaking the wheel back and forth I heard the clunk from right behind the wheel. Axle or wheel bearings sound like the culprit to me. Since I replaced the axle last year, wheel bearings? Can anybody else say that`s the problem?
Old 11-20-2016, 07:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New to posting. This is an old thread, but JeffH, did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing that, and I believe it is not the engine mounts. Had the exact same sound (a slightly buffered THUNK!) when accelerating (I accelerate hard, seldom light). I really don't hear it when decelerating, but I'll pay more attention to see if it does. If it does, it's very slight compared to the acceleration THUNK.

I had the same thing on the right side, but that was a much more severe KATHUNK. This sound sounded like an engine mount had completely broken (I once had a mount break on a late 60s muscle car, and the power steering pump cover wing nut punched a dent into the hood) I previously had a shop put a knee on the right 4 years prior after catching a curb on the right front coming down a curvy drive. The shop apparently did not tighten the bolt at the bottom of the control arm of the knee assembly enough (the A-frame equivalent, at the bottom). The nut had come all the way off, and the bolt backed out almost completely, allowing the control arm to lose stability. They got this re-tightened, and no kidding, about a month later, the left side started giving me a similar sound, though nowhere near as intense.

I have also checked everything briefly, and will do a more intense search this week. Any suggestions from your issue years ago? I'll check the engine mounts, but very seriously doubt that's the issue.

PS, plain Jane 2006 Acura TL, 178,000 miles and going strong--putting new NGK Iridium plugs in this week. Hope to get another 100,000 miles more out of it.

Greg
The following users liked this post:
Samuel Wellman (07-22-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:20 AM
10th Gear

I finally figured it out

So geeked because this problem was driving me crazy. Let me get right to the point. Front positioned engine mount bolt is sliding about 3 to 4 mm. Wow! If yous I'd dirty with grease then the indicators will be there. Yo. Look closely to see the dirt and grease pushed away from when it jetted forward. When it moves back you see the shiny metal. See the little known. There that catches it from sliding even further. Wish they had one on both side huh. Gonna remove the nut and spray the whole thing with brake cleaner. Then torque the nut back and pretty sure that annoying sound will be gone. Tell me what you think after looking at your TL's.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:26 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Samuel Wellman
So geeked because this problem was driving me crazy. Let me get right to the point. Front positioned engine mount bolt is sliding about 3 to 4 mm. Wow! If yours is dirty with grease then the indicators will be there. Look closely to see the dirt and grease pushed away from when it jetted forward. When it moves back after accellerating you'll see the shining metal. See the little metal knob there that catches it from sliding even further. Wish they had one on both side huh. Gonna remove the nut and spray the whole thing with brake cleaner. Get is nice a clean and then torque the nut back and im pretty sure that annoying sound will be gone. Tell me what you think after looking at your TL's.
I will post a few pics to show you what I described.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:13 PM
10th Gear

Yup, that was it! The clunking is GONE. Now it takes a few weeks to drive and brake without the expectation of the clunk. So I found that the nut that holds the front engine mount was very lose. I took it off and cleaned it with degreaser. It cleaned up nicely and then torqued it a bit above the specification. As soon as I drove the car I knew that was the kulprit. I think my pictures are on my phone so will try to load them now. Gonna take a look at the other engine mount bolts and make sure they are tight too. Hope this help guys and gals. I know what its like to have that clunk you cant pinpoint. Your trying everything to isolate it and figure out where its coming from. Good luck and happy braking/accelerating.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:14 PM
10th Gear

See my post. I think this might help you.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
I have the same issue. and the creaking too. It happens accel, braking and bumps. all at slow speeds, no high speed sounds. Im starting to think its mounts for the clunk. and the creaking, well im lubing stuff up since i dont see or feel anything thats broken.
See my response below and sorry if i posted this wrong. Im new here and posting is a little complicated. Trial and error for a while.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

Clunck

Don’t know if you have solved it but I had same problem and turned out to be a exhaust mounting bracket that broke and exhaust was moving about bit of welding later problem solve hope it helps
See my response below and sorry if i posted this wrong. Im new here and posting is a little complicated. Trial and error for a while.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:27 PM
6th Gear

Similar sound

Yup, that was it! The clunking is GONE. Now it takes a few weeks to drive and brake without the expectation of the clunk. So I found that the nut that holds the front engine mount was very lose. I took it off and cleaned it with degreaser. It cleaned up nicely and then torqued it a bit above the specification. As soon as I drove the car I knew that was the kulprit. I think my pictures are on my phone so will try to load them now. Gonna take a look at the other engine mount bolts and make sure they are tight too. Hope this help guys and gals. I know what its like to have that clunk you cant pinpoint. Your trying everything to isolate it and figure out where its coming from. Good luck and happy braking/accelerating.

I have a 3rd gen 08 type s when ever im slowing down and then i press the gas it makes a like a thud or clunk sound , could it be the same problem?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Elviz Hernandez
I have a 3rd gen 08 type s when ever im slowing down and then i press the gas it makes a like a thud or clunk sound , could it be the same problem?
yes motor mounts
The following users liked this post:
Elviz Hernandez (05-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 09:59 PM
10th Gear

Clunk clunk

Originally Posted by Elviz Hernandez
Thanks for reading my post. I remember posting this and still have my 2000 TL with 378,000. I would look at the front mount for signs of sliding. See in my pics that area of no grease that gets polished away due to the movement. That's a good sign. Hey just tighten them up for good measure and then you can eliminate that as the problem, or maybe that solves the problem. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear

i to have that same clunk, thanks to all of you for the helpful information