Fog light mod (Alternate version)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
hey when i didnt use the diode my car would stay on til i turned the lights off...weird huh? pretty cool though, kind of like a turbo timer for my naturally aspirated car lol
Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen-
Where did the lip kit go?!
LOL, the glare from the lights is masking the front lip kit....its still there lol...my palm centro camera doesn't deal well with glare

the OEM lip kit is more obvious on the corners and not so much right in the front
Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, I don't see myself using the fogs w/o the parking lights. When I go out to move my car at night, w/ my old car I would just turn on the parking lights then the fogs...so how would I do this? Sorry if I've missed anything..too many posts to read through.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Ackniculous One

this mod still allows you to use the fogs with parks if you want...i like the fogs alone for a daytime running light setup...the hid fogs and low position of the lights give the car a nice look coming down the road. There is the older version that required use of the park lights to use the fogs without headlights, but this version is much better.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
okay, so i did the mod and now for some reason the green light wont turn on... fogs turn on and everything but the green light doesnt light up....
Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by mestizoracer310
In my opinion, I don't see myself using the fogs w/o the parking lights. When I go out to move my car at night, w/ my old car I would just turn on the parking lights then the fogs...so how would I do this? Sorry if I've missed anything..too many posts to read through.
so why would it be so hard to jus flick on the parking lights when u turn the car on?...i did the new mod and i leave the fog button on so when i turn my car on they turn on instantly and if i have to i jus turn my parking lights on too...but like Uncle Jitty said, it looks sweet with jus the fogs on and no other lights on..i had my cousin drive my car around the block so i can see how my car looks and i wet my pants..
Old 03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
03 ABP tls

Originally Posted by ZEUS'O3TL
so why would it be so hard to jus flick on the parking lights when u turn the car on?...i did the new mod and i leave the fog button on so when i turn my car on they turn on instantly and if i have to i jus turn my parking lights on too...but like Uncle Jitty said, it looks sweet with jus the fogs on and no other lights on..i had my cousin drive my car around the block so i can see how my car looks and i wet my pants..
hahha X2 i really like this mod
Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Instructor

LOL @ Zeus...I guess I'll just do it. Fawk it. And I have seen those new RDX's with fogs only and I do admit...it does look good...
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
...i had my cousin drive my car around the block so i can see how my car looks and i wet my pants..
You'll grow out of it
Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYDesi80
Second, I often forget to turn the fog light switch off and when I lock and unlock my doors the dam fogs blink on and off. And since I have HID's thas unnecesary wear on the Ballast. So this mod would eliminate that problem too. To me its, the way to go!! Good Job Bxscig!!
So let me double check this, I mean no offence. I too added HID's to my fogs and I keep forgetting to turn them off. I'm afraid it'll burn out my ballasts. So with this mod, I can leave the fog switch (and the headlight switch too) in the on position...and use my remote to (un)lock the doors and not have the fogs turn on/off w/ the rest of the lights? I like having my headlights turn on at night when I go to the car....
Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZN.M3NACE
okay, so i did the mod and now for some reason the green light wont turn on... fogs turn on and everything but the green light doesnt light up....
If everything else works...I'd say the bulb blew out.. it's an easy change. Pop the switch out of the dash and on the side of it there are two screw covers - if memory serves the top one has the bulb that you want - take it with you to the dealer to get the correct replacement.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Hey Hondanutty, sorry to hijack this thread but you're not online at this moment and I can't PM you...

How loud is your car w/ the intake resonator box removed?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Drifting

So let me double check this, I mean no offence. I too added HID's to my fogs and I keep forgetting to turn them off. I'm afraid it'll burn out my ballasts. So with this mod, I can leave the fog switch (and the headlight switch too) in the on position...and use my remote to (un)lock the doors and not have the fogs turn on/off w/ the rest of the lights? I like having my headlights turn on at night when I go to the car....
If you leave your headlights on with the fogs on with the car off and when you unlock your door and open it, both will turn on.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

LOL @ Zeus...I guess I'll just do it. Fawk it. And I have seen those new RDX's with fogs only and I do admit...it does look good...
i use to turn my parking lights on with the fogs at first but then when i saw the RDX rollin like that i started doin it to becuz it looks mean...

Originally Posted by totaledTL
You'll grow out of it
NEVER!!!..:devilgrin...i park my car in front of my job so everytime i look out the window i see this beautiful 03 AM jus staring at me...

be carefule with that bro...ur putting strees on the ballast and then all of a sudden.....bye bye to the ballast...
Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i use to turn my parking lights on with the fogs at first but then when i saw the RDX rollin like that i started doin it to becuz it looks mean...
that's how i roll - not because i saw the rdx, but because it looks mean. i have 3000K hids in the fogs and it looks very mean imo. if my car is on, so are my fogs no matter day or night.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
that's how i roll - not because i saw the rdx, but because it looks mean. i have 3000K hids in the fogs and it looks very mean imo. if my car is on, so are my fogs no matter day or night.
...yea my friends always comment to me about my 3K HID fogs..they say how come when u look at it head on they look white but their bright ass yellow on the ground...i tell them its a mystery..lol..
Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 AM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
haha - i still have the yellow rb film, so it always looks yellow. i never run the parking lights without heads - i hate the way the orange corners clash with the yellow fogs.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by '03TL-S
If you leave your headlights on with the fogs on with the car off and when you unlock your door and open it, both will turn on.
Even with the alternate mod completed? Oh, btw I picked up the ATM Add a circuit and noticed they don't carry diodes. Guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow and try Radio Shack.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
I also roll w/ my fogs on almost 24/7...mainly when I have my daughter in the car. I'm thinking of getting 6000k bulbs for non-rainy/messed up weather conditions...
Old 03-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Drifting

Even with the alternate mod completed? Oh, btw I picked up the ATM Add a circuit and noticed they don't carry diodes. Guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow and try Radio Shack.
Yes even with the alternate mod because your headlights are on.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Is there a way to access the white/red wire without taking out the switch itself? I still haven't had a reason to pull it out...
Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Instructor

N/M. Didn't realize how easy it was to remove the lower dash cover. Alternate fog mod completed.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Ok, ran into a problem...now my SRS and CEL lights are on. There's an OBD2 reader at work and I could easily clear that tomorrow during my next shift. The SRS is what's going to bother me...I unplugged the fuse, put the fuse (for the added circuit) with the HHH (add a circuit) like the instructions said. Put the key in and pressed the fog switch. Nothing. So I swapped spots on the HHH for the fog mod. Still nothing, with thhe exception of the D5 light flashing at me. I then put both fuses into the HHH and the fog mod works fine and the D5 light doesn't flash at me anymore, but now those SRS and CEL lights are on.....is there a way to clear the SRS light w/o a computer?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

u mustve turned on the car without everything connected...i did the same thing...here u go...thanx to Kris i held on to this jus in case...
http://www.geocities.com/myintegra96/srs.html
Old 03-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

remember that pic shows two yellow connectors so make sure u use the smaller one...i learned the hard way
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Instructor

u mustve turned on the car without everything connected...i did the same thing...here u go...thanx to Kris i held on to this jus in case...
http://www.geocities.com/myintegra96/srs.html
Yup, I did. It took a couple tries to figure out how to get the mod to work...then I needed to get gas and that's when I noticed the CEL and SRS lights were on. I was mad, and I have had to reset the SRS light in another car that I had but forgot how. Thanks for that info!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Just got done resetting the SRS light. Thank you so much for that link! It took 5 tries before I did this:
Took a REALLY long speaker wire and stripping the insulation on both ends. Then from the comfort of the driver's seat I did it in the first shot.

Times like this I wish I had a momentary push button "tool" to make it easier...plus have it long enough where I'm not looking up and down (between looking for the flashing light AND pushing the clip back into the connector "properly" so it takes it.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Rich
I want to do the same to my wifes 03 tl??????where do i find these two wires? under the hood or under the steering wheel ? do they work and turn off and do not flash when you lock the car with fob? how about if i ask one mmore question? how do i replace the led on the fog lite switch/
thanks and let me know what ever will help me do the car
Is this country great or what
sonny in san antonio
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by sonnytris
Rich
I want to do the same to my wifes 03 tl??????where do i find these two wires? under the hood or under the steering wheel ? do they work and turn off and do not flash when you lock the car with fob? how about if i ask one mmore question? how do i replace the led on the fog lite switch/
sonny in san antonio
You can find it in the bunch of wires under the steering wheel. They may flash considering if you do this mod or the one when you just tap the wires. For the fog light switch I think it is a neo wedge bulb? Someone correct me if I am wrong about the bulb.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Rich
sonny in san antonio
Do this,

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=32

Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Rich
sonny in san antonio

the two wires ur talking about are right behind the the actual fog siwtch...really easy to get to...the newer fog mod doesnt flash with the parking lights...with the new mod u can leave the fog switch on and they turn on without having to have the parking lights on which IMO looks nice...i have HID in my fogs so if i were to do the older mod and forget to turn the switch off i wouldve at some point blown my ballast when i would arm/disarm my alarm...heres a pic of mine with the newest fog mod...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

I just replaced my 03 tL headlite assembles and also install the new sylvania HID (137 each) thru Advance Auto.....they look great especiall with the almost new glass on the headlites but ..................
I now want to do what you have helped others do???????if I start this project could I count on you answering some questions before and during the project??/
God Bless And Thanks
Is This Country Great or What
Sonny
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Ackniculous One

^wait, what did you pay $137 for?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

^wow u got raped on the bulbs for 137 each but if u got them then u got them already....couldve gone with our vendor Excelerate for 109 for both bulbs shipped....but on to the fog mod....look closely at the pix and the Diode(part) becuz when u go to radio shack they have a shit load of them
Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Intermediate

mod complete!!! the splice didn't work, I had to peel away the insulator and wrap the wire around that and tape it until I get the right splice tape will work!! Other than than great mod took me a bit longer cause I really don't know how to use a solder gun. Today was a crash course in how to's.......LMAO Thanks for an awesome mod will post pics ASAP
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM
10th Gear

Hello everyone. I did this mod to my TL but without the add it circuit. I spliced a wire going to the fuse box (2nd to last on the right side) I think it was a yellow wire. The first time I connected the wire directly to the white wire on the Fog light switch and turn on my headlights all the lights on the dash use to turn on and act like the keys were in the car. I connected the diode to only allow the electrical current to flow to the fog light switch and not from it.

It's working perfectly fine here, only turns on when the key is in the ignition, and/or when the headlights are on. my question to you guys is. What is the benefit of having the add-it-circuit? can I encounter any problems later on by connecting it the way I did?

Thanks for your help.
BTW: This is my first post, I just got my 2g TL about 2 weeks ago and the posts on these forums are very helpful.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

...welcome to the forums....and the best advantage of the add-a-circuit is that you dont need to have your parking lights on with the fogs....it looks hella nice that way especially near dawn....and the other thing this protects is in the event something goes wrong you have that extra fuse to protect any electrical problem if something goes out.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^What he said. Fuses are ur friend when working with anything electrical in a car. Its mostly just for safety. And for $10 total for the mod..def worth it for me. But it's ur car so do what u want man..if it works for u and ur not scared anythin will short then leave it.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Zues..how are those 5000k on output? I wanna go with the Phillips 85126+ and I've read they look like 5000k...I like the stock output and don't wanna lose light..even tho I have already cuz of the age of my bulbs (stockies)
Old 07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply guys, I will put the fuse on it. I initially left it the way I did because I did it on the 4th of July and my local AutoZone closed early, I was only able to go to radioshack to get the diode, I didn't feel like waiting to get the mod done

Quick Reply: Fog light mod (Alternate version)