FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'

Old 08-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will get a better picture. The plug you are referring to is black and does connect to a senser next to the drain plug.

There are two larger pigtails from that same harness both are grey. One goes to the range switch (in the background over my hand). It's the one I am holding that I cannot find a connection for.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

ok, another try. Here is a picture of the wire harness out of the car. on the right side of the square in the mat, there are two large grey connectors. One goes to the Transmission Range Switch. Is there a reference to determine what the other hooks into? (FWIW, i do not have TL-S)

Old 08-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
That connector doesn't plug into anything. It just clips onto the metal bracket right above that other gray plug in your picture (to the right of your thumb with the different color wires going into it).
The following users liked this post:
pbeck66 (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Thanks what I thought (by process of elimination). Thanks. Searched for several hours, could not find any reference to it online.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Ok, put everything back together this weekend. Replace lower ball joints (I had damaged one boot) and the struts while I was in there. Filled it up with fluids and let sit overnight. One of the axles is leaking (small drip / drip). I felt both "seat" but apparently did not get it flush. So I get to break the wheel assembly apart again (yeah). One of the days I am going to get to drive it again - lookinig forward to it.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:48 PM
7th Gear

Using dexron lll in TL-S

So I used dexron lll in my 02 tl-s and a week or so later my tranny stared fin up so if I 3x3x flush with dw1 since they don't make z1 any more will that save my tranny or is it to late?? Dealer put its second tranny in @200,000 there 263,000 now so next is av6 swap
Old 08-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 1,015 Likes on 866 Posts
Damnnn Dexron III? More likely the trans is toasted, Dexron III is not compatible with our Trans and if the Trans was on its way out dexron III help it die sooner.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:39 PM
7th Gear

Using dexron lll in TL-S

So I used dexron lll in my 02 tl-s and a week or so later my tranny stared fin up so if I 3x3x flush with dw1 since they don't make z1 any more will that save my tranny or is it to late?? Dealer put its second tranny in @200,000 there 263,000 now so next is av6 swap
Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Damnnn Dexron III? More likely the trans is toasted, Dexron III is not compatible with our Trans and if the Trans was on its way out dexron III help it die sooner.
idk if it was. It should have had at least another 40,000 left in it.e every 100,000 it would go out , so it not worth trying to flush it out. Should I just av6 swap I don't want to if I don't have to found 07 with 58,000 for $990 and 6 months warranty and another 07 with 140,000 for $690, but actually doing it is what 16hrs?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 PM
7th Gear

And it was dexron lll for imports.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:27 PM

Get the AV6 for sure! the one with the least miles if possible.. Also check the dipstick for burnt ATF or very black neglected ATF... You want the one with the newest ATF (Possible the best maintained one).
Dexron III is not compatible with Honda Trans, Totally different Additive Packages. For trouble free maintenance use only Honda OEM DW-1.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:45 PM
7th Gear

Get the AV6 for sure! the one with the least miles if possible.. Also check the dipstick for burnt ATF or very black neglected ATF... You want the one with the newest ATF (Possible the best maintained one).
Dexron III is not compatible with Honda Trans, Totally different Additive Packages. For trouble free maintenance use only Honda OEM DW-1.
So I shouldn't even waste 100+$ on flushing with DW-1? And as for the AV6 where can I find diagrams I can see the one in the other av6 swap convo?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Sami Mohamed Shabaan
So I shouldn't even waste 100+$ on flushing with DW-1? And as for the AV6 where can I find diagrams I can see the one in the other av6 swap convo?
Cant see*
Old 08-26-2016, 07:55 AM
9th Gear

Well I'm going to buy a 07 accord 3.0 v6 automatic transmission today after work to put in my 04 3.2 automatic acura tl. I hope I've got all the I do right since the transmission shop is dragging their feet and haven't took mine out yet. The guy at the shop said the only way it would work is if the numbers on the trannies match, but idk what the hell he's talking about. I know my trans is a BDGA BETA and the accord is a BAYA, but it's the same thing basically. I've posted a couple times about this and tried to get confirmation that I'm buying the correct part, but haven't gotten a reply so hopefully this works because I can't afford to buy two. I've done the research and I'm about 85 percent that I'm doing the right thing. If anyone who knows about this can chime in and confirm what I'm doing is right I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 AM
9th Gear

Idk Is why it says BETA stupid auto correct!!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaTLowner
Well I'm going to buy a 07 accord 3.0 v6 automatic transmission today after work to put in my 04 3.2 automatic acura tl. I hope I've got all the I do right since the transmission shop is dragging their feet and haven't took mine out yet. The guy at the shop said the only way it would work is if the numbers on the trannies match, but idk what the hell he's talking about. I know my trans is a BDGA BETA and the accord is a BAYA, but it's the same thing basically. I've posted a couple times about this and tried to get confirmation that I'm buying the correct part, but haven't gotten a reply so hopefully this works because I can't afford to buy two. I've done the research and I'm about 85 percent that I'm doing the right thing. If anyone who knows about this can chime in and confirm what I'm doing is right I would really appreciate it.
I'm not too familiar with the 3rd gen TL, but from what I understand it's possible to swap a 3rd gen tranny into a 2nd gen (which nobody does due to 3rd gen trannies failing I assume?), so the AV6 swap should work as well. The transmission model doesn't have to match, we are all swapping from the B7WA to the BAYA. It just has to be one of the three shaft 5-speed autos.
IndianaTLowner (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:24 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
I'm not too familiar with the 3rd gen TL, but from what I understand it's possible to swap a 3rd gen tranny into a 2nd gen (which nobody does due to 3rd gen trannies failing I assume?), so the AV6 swap should work as well. The transmission model doesn't have to match, we are all swapping from the B7WA to the BAYA. It just has to be one of the three shaft 5-speed autos.
I thought so. The guy at the shop is probably just saying that because he doesn't want to do it. Also, it's been super hard to find this tranny I just went to pick one up and one of the mounts were broke. Thanks though man, I'm gonna keep looking and I'll keep putting updates on here.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:30 PM

AFAIK a 3rd Gen Auto swap isn't popular because the TL Trans is more Expensive than the AV6 (Since the Accord is more Mainstream),
SuperGreg (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 06:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by IndianaTLowner
I thought so. The guy at the shop is probably just saying that because he doesn't want to do it. Also, it's been super hard to find this tranny I just went to pick one up and one of the mounts were broke. Thanks though man, I'm gonna keep looking and I'll keep putting updates on here.
Probably so, did you provide him with all of the documentation on how to do the swap? And about the mounts, it doesn't matter, your existing mounts will work. When I picked up my AV6 they had just cut the mounts right through the rubber.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:25 PM
7th Gear

AT COUPE or SEDAN 3.0L (NOT HYBRID)

Teardown:
It doesn´t matter if it comes from the Coupe (Cpe) or Sedan (Sdn).
It must be AT obviously as MT = Manual Transmission.
And it cannot come from the Hybrid which also was an option with the 3.0L Engine.
Engine must be the 3.0L (V6).
So where can we get documents on the swap so when I do the swap I have reference.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

Ok, have everything installed. FWIW, the hardest parts of this swap has been the auxiliary portions that are not required but I wanted to do anyway while I was in there (back motor mount, struts and replacing the lower ball joints (fun primarily because this is first time I have replaced one).

I have a p series (non S type) so steering is a little stiffer (I would say noticable) but it is not bad and I would call it sporty& tight feel.

Anyway, it shifts smooth and no warning lights / codes / leaks. The only issue is the park, neutral and 5th gear drive is about a half click off when switching gears at the shifter (engagement is a little rough and the gear indicator lights in the dash do not light when shifter is in the correct spot).

Since I did not think to mark the position of the range switch before removal - I am assuming this is the issue. I see the range swtch (where connects at the tranny base) has a slotted hole for adjustment. I am assuming the process will be to move the range switch around in smallish increments / tighten / then check for correct positioning (ignitiion on / engine off) from inside. Will report back when I have this completed.

Last edited by pbeck66; 08-28-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
Yes. Make the final adjustment at the range switch and you should be good to go.
pbeck66 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 11:24 AM
9th Gear

Ok thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get it worked on this week. I've had a he'll of a time finding a transmission. I finally got one right outside of Louisville and I gotta go down there sometime this week to get it. Another thing I want to do is fix the rear quarter panel since it has a dent then put a body kit on it. Anyone know where I can find one at a decent price? I will keep posting updates on here. Thank you all!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

Yes sir, range adjustment did the trick. A lot of work but got my car back. Thanks to everyone that pitched in to help this ameture mechanic.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:00 PM
7th Gear

I just finished the swap myself this weekend. Off and on it took me two weekends and a couple days after work. I've never removed a transmission before, but after doing some reading on here i decided to go for it! I don't know how it drove before (I bought it with a bad trans) but it drives great now. The replacement AV6 trans had borderline burnt oil with around 90,000 miles. I wasn't able to check out the transmission before buying, but I have a 6 month warranty. If it goes out I hope it's within the warranty period.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:02 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by B-rent24
I just finished the swap myself this weekend. Off and on it took me two weekends and a couple days after work. I've never removed a transmission before, but after doing some reading on here i decided to go for it! I don't know how it drove before (I bought it with a bad trans) but it drives great now. The replacement AV6 trans had borderline burnt oil with around 90,000 miles. I wasn't able to check out the transmission before buying, but I have a 6 month warranty. If it goes out I hope it's within the warranty period.
Did you buy it online? If so, where from? 90k shouldn't have burnt transmission fluid. AT least I wouldn't think. What all did you have to swap over from the acura trans and what year was your AV6? I'm buying an 06 so I'm wondering if the range sensor will be the only modification.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:03 PM
7th Gear

I bought a 07 transmission from a local salvage yard. There were two wiring harnesses on the accord trans that needed replaced with harnesses from the Acura, the range sensor and the harness that connects to two sensors just to the left of the range sensor. I swapped out the harness mounts off the accord that were different from the Acura. The are two brackets used to lift the transmission, and the front one will need to be from the Acura. The lifting mount holds a brace between the intake and the transmission.
Just a note on the rang sensor cover, there is extra plastic on the inside that hits the sensor before the bolts get tight. I just cut out the plastic that was hitting, also the top left of the cover needed to be trimmed. The Acura sensor sticks out farther.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Cruisin'

800 miles in and my swap is still going strong.

My engine is a little bit loud and I can't remember if it was always liek that... Ive done a lot of work to it in the past 3 months so it could be anything.

Just a quick question, I used Acura DW-1 Atf but I would like to confirm, will the generic atf that they sell at advanced for Honda vehicles trash these trannys?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:35 AM
9th Gear

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but the shop was dragging their feet and when they did get to my car they said it had two broken motor mounts so I had to have those replace also. Total cost is 800 for the tranny, 850 for the swap, new seals and fluid, and 250 for the motor mounts. The shop said the tranny I got was missing a lot of stuff so they had to take it from the old one. Since I've gotten the car back it's driven pretty good. 1st gear is a little weird, but idk is if it has anything to do with the tranny. I will post another update when I make the drive from Indy to fort Wayne on sunday.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:40 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used an engine hoist to support it while I removed the transmission mounts and sub-frame assembly. Then I lowered it to the ground and slid it out the front of the vehicle. I was working on a smooth surface concrete floor. Hopefully u will be too. And I used a jack stand to support the side of the engine that connects to the transmission. It worked flawlessly for me. By the way, it's been 2 years and I haven't had any more problems out of my car for a transmission.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:51 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Thanks for posting this valuable info to assist others who may encounter a similar issue with installing the "AV6" donor tranny. By chance, do you know the TC's model #..... and if it's cross-referenced the same # as any other year of 2nd Gen TL's ?

More than likely the reason different torque converters were used in the 2000 model TL's, was because of being the first year that Acura introduced the 5 speed AT vs the '99 TL model's older carryover 4 speed tranny.

Anyways, has anybody else experienced TC problems with the AV6 swap ?
Apparently, it may only affect the 2000 model year TL's.
i finished my swap and haven't had a problem out of it in the past two years. One thing though...since the AV6 did not come with a power steering pressure switch because it was only used on Acuras, my power steering pump whines at low speeds and idle when it's cold outside. During the summer when it's 80 and above u almost never hear it. I'm wondering if I change my power steering pump to one made for an 06-07 Accord that was designed to work without the power steering assist at idle and low speeds, if this would solve my problem. I'm thinking the gear ratios inside the pump are geared to compensate for the lack of assist. I will probably try it regardless but if anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:15 AM

^ This is because the TL-S uses a Torque Sensitive PS Pump with a Variable Vane..
TL-p uses a Speed Sensitive PS Pump which requires that smaller pump to give it an extra oomp at higher speeds..
Old 09-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
If the noise really bothers you, you could plumb the speed sensor back in, and tuck it out of the way. I did this on my daughter's car after I did the swap. Before I replaced the pump, I'd check part numbers, as I think they are the same. If you do put the speed sensor back in, the steering effort is much lower. I know some on the forum prefer the stiffer feel, but I liked the extra assist as does my daughter.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Pro

Hey guys I put together an entry on my blog outlining the whole process with links to resources. If you don't mind checking it out, let me know if I missed anything or got anything wrong. I was hoping to do this right after doing my swap but it's been a little while now so my memory is fading haha.

Havener Garage: The Definitive 2nd Gen Acura TL AV6 Transmission Swap Guide
Old 10-04-2016, 08:54 PM

Very nice write up!

Should also ADD that is recommended to get a New (Refurbished) AV6 Torque Converter.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Pro

Very nice write up!

Should also ADD that is recommended to get a New (Refurbished) AV6 Torque Converter.
Thanks, I did not get a new torque converter since my AV6 had such low miles (under 50K). Where is the best place to get the one? And should you get the Accord specific one or TL? I have read they are different.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear

Where to source transmission?

Hi, my transmission recently did the thing and I'm considering doing this, but I have a few questions:
1. How has this worked and held up for those who have done this swap?
2. If I do the swap, where is a good place to source the accord v6 transmission?
3. I live in St. Louis, MO. Does anyone know of a good transmission shop that would be willing/able to do this swap for me?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Thanks, I did not get a new torque converter since my AV6 had such low miles (under 50K). Where is the best place to get the one? And should you get the Accord specific one or TL? I have read they are different.

Damn you were lucky to get it with such few miles!! Got mine with 80K and I thought I was special

Many transmission shops will sell you the TC Alone, Just shop around any transmission shop.. Price is around 100-150 bucks for a Refurbished Unit, Advance Autoparts sell them http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...047%7CL3*16291

You must only use the ACCORD TC with the AV6! Using the TL Torque Converter with the AV6 will cause Catastrophic damage to the Transmission Bell.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-11-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by TrannyBrokeAmScrewed
Hi, my transmission recently did the thing and I'm considering doing this, but I have a few questions:
1. How has this worked and held up for those who have done this swap?
2. If I do the swap, where is a good place to source the accord v6 transmission?
3. I live in St. Louis, MO. Does anyone know of a good transmission shop that would be willing/able to do this swap for me?

1.- It was completely Plug and Play for me, Worked at the first crank without any Check Engine or anything like it was the original transmission!.
Trans ratios are the same as my TL-S original trans so no difference there, If yours is a TL-p (Base) then you will feel an improvement in 4th gear pick up.
The Torque Converter is also way more efficient in the AV6 which leads to a formidable amount of acceleration feel, The only bad thing is that TC lock up is a little aggressive probably because it does it faster by mechanical design and since the ECU of the TL was programmed for a different TC it might be the only missmatch so it might feel a little rough when the TC Locks up but it doesn't affect performance what so ever its just not very luxurious to feel it. That only happens in D5 if you Drive in SS you wont feel it for some reason.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
^ like Skirmich I had similiar results. Look on car-part for inventory of local junkyards with av6 trans. Has to be 06/07 non hybrid. I happened to find mine on CL. A local yard had an ad showing an 07 accord for parts with 70k miles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'