Audio at Acura tl s 2003 dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Audio at Acura tl s 2003 dissapointment

Evidently those Bose system have dedicated woofer but send low tone signals to non woofer speakers too and it make a lot of noise in speakers. For difference of my infiniti i30 97 that I sold before two weeks that had woofer at every speaker, Bose to. Another story is why manufacturer insist at Bose that is not a high quality system. One problem can be my mp3 player is not capable to send signal properly. Maybe that crossover system that suppose send signal properly do not work..

Last edited by bbsitum; 10-25-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
yes.

upgrade the system then!
Old 10-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

So low quality sound is standard at those TLs? Maybe I call to early, will check how radio work, maybe is problem in MP3 player incapability to send signal properly.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by bbsitum
So low quality sound is standard at those TLs? Maybe I call to early, will check how radio work, maybe is problem in MP3 player incapability to send signal properly.
you do know that the car is at least 17 years old, right?
what is the point of questioning how things were when it came out???

if the sound is sub-standard to you, then YOU need to come up with a solution to fix that.

either by upgrading components, or trying a different source...because it may be the MP3 player
Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
sounds more like you need a ground loop isolator issue.

i'm sorry but sounds like there's a bit of a language barrier because your posts are incredibly incoherent.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
YES 2nd Gen TL has horrible stock sound system, hands down, no questions asked I mean... It has a Cassette Player that wont ever be used again and a 6 slot CD Changer that will eat your CDs if you let it to. If you want better sound system you have to spend $$$$...

But why do you need a stereo when you have that J32A2 Symphony?
Old 10-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Switched to listen fm radio and all suddenly 2 driver side speakers work and they not work when I listen to tape (mp3 player through tape). And sound is clear at all 4+1 speakers. And it is way enough quality for my car. Clearly not comparable to home surround system but I do not mind. I guess need to clean connector especially if it is separate from radio connector. Abut CD stack I do not mind as for me CD is ting of past. I need clear sound through tape and will clean connector or bring another head unit from junkyard if need.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I call this tread off. It was my cassette adapter. I have sound in all 4+1 speakers and sound is clear, way enough for my need.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
You should have said that first... But even then it is a terrible system when working fine.. Horrible Lows, Inexistent Mids. and Embarrassing Highs with that remarkable muffled sound and pulled sound stage..
It is one of the worst stock sound systems I ever heard... My 2G MDX Stock system blows it out of the water hands down. That is why one of the first mods to the TL was a full overhaul to the Sound System.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Well Bose system and low sounds do not go together. I know it as in last 12 years (Acura Legend, Infiniti I30) I listen to it.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Two weeks lather same problem. Both left speakers do not work when listen to tape, actually tape adapter but work when listen to radio.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Disregard this again. It is Mp3 player bad. Put in cassette tape and speakers work.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Disregard this again. It is Mp3 player bad. Put in cassette tape and speakers work.
dont mean to bump a old thread in which you already found a solution to, but, a few months ago a had a similiar problem after going through 3 cassette tape adaptors. The first 2 were dollar store tapes and sounds quality was pure shit. One of my guys told me to buy the monster adaptor, i was like hell no its damn near 30 bucks!!! But i broke down and bought it, it sounds like my car has a new sound system installed! People get in my car and say "damn Rob, what size subs u got back there" i say none bro, stock bose system😁😁.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roblee23
dont mean to bump a old thread in which you already found a solution to, but, a few months ago a had a similiar problem after going through 3 cassette tape adaptors. The first 2 were dollar store tapes and sounds quality was pure shit. One of my guys told me to buy the monster adaptor, i was like hell no its damn near 30 bucks!!! But i broke down and bought it, it sounds like my car has a new sound system installed! People get in my car and say "damn Rob, what size subs u got back there" i say none bro, stock bose system😁😁.
I went along years through all cassette adapters that exist. Including Monster. Best is Phillips. I agree that adapter make huge difference.
Now problem is NOT MP3 player - twist again. What happen when I put tape in head have enough of message because is designed to read data from tape. When I put adapter I would need a clean head, because now is metal to metal contact. I know it is not my Sony mp3 player because I checked this time with my smartphone and same problem. So my guess now is I need to clean tape head. Hot I can do it.
What is way to connect mp3 player to stock head unit over wire. I do not want wireless, I'm audio enthusiast, I need pure quality of sound.
Btw even chip Sony dedicated mp3 player is vastly superior to smarthphone in sound quality.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
get an aftermarket head unit with aux built in
Old 12-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Harper
get an aftermarket head unit with aux built in
This is more than likely the best bet, Im planning on going with a pioneer built in screen when that time comes, but for now im using the monster cassette tape. Which still sounds great nearly 3 months later, but is making noise at times from the tape player.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

So what is today best audio jack to add to existing Bose head unit. I went through old treads but they are from 2006. Is it Blitzafe man still always.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Blose

Any car stereo that is 10+ years old is subject to not sounding up to snuff. Speaker surrounds dry out and fail, heat and cold aren't an audio system's friend. Bose is notorious for making mediocre sounding, overpriced home, wearable and auto audio speakers. I would never choose to buy anything made by Bose. Most of what you're paying for is their hype and marketing. The system in my TL has muddy base and mostly midrange - nothing new here, but it's serviceable I guess if you don't mind fiddling with the controls. I'm constantly adjusting that muddy bass. Back in the 70s and 80s when audio stores were common, they saying among salespeople was, "no bass, no treble, mostly midrange - must be Bose." Still true today. Do yourself a favor before you ever buy a Bose product. Research the product and don't fall for the marketing hype. You'll save money and get better equipment. Same hold true for crap like Beats.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Well I finally googled my problem with cassette adapter and speakers working at only one side, or barely working at another side. I was surprised that it is actually very common problem. Head in tape deck and head in cassette adapter do not align properly. Problem is in cassette head azimuth. Cassette tape have flexibility and when I play it head get full signal. It is not case with adapter as it is steel at steel contact. It is advised at Internet to try push adapter, or reverse playing. Will see how it work. But from reading about it I figured that is cassette deck inferior way of playing music as that azimuth thing can not be done perfectly any way.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

So as I understand it do not worth bring another head unit from junkyard as I will not have that 5 digit number to activate it?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
Yes, that is correct.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So as I understand it do not worth bring another head unit from junkyard as I will not have that 5 digit number to activate it?
not true. as long as the head unit has the serial number up top, you should be able to call your dealer and they should be able to generate that 5 digit code from it.

you do need that serial number/sticker though.

fwiw: i don't find the sound system all that bad. certainly not what others are describing. and yes, you should have mentioned you were using a mp3->tape cassette dongle, as they are primarily the reason for low sound quality.

of course the TL's sound system could be improved, but again: it's not as bad as others are saying. yes the high/mid range needs work at higher volume, especially for older cars, but all in all: not bad.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Dont waste your time and money on another OEM headunit. Get a aftermarket radio with Aux in/usb etc. It will make life easier and it will sound better.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Is it this ting work properly? It is all across internet for 20?
Only US$17.96, For Honda Acura 6Pin Car 3.5mm Aux-in Audio Adapter USB - Tomtop.com

This one actually said it work at Acura TL 2003. Above one didn't say it. Probably I have to be careful. They look same but they are not.
http://www.tomtop.com/car-audio-video-installation-1647/p-k3948.html?currency=USD&aid=gpla&gclid=CjwKEAiA2Oz DBRCdqIyIqYaaqQoSJABeJZdituDH8CsDRNuJFnque0e2MaPzk r5X_elHpkokIOp3ThoCH0_w_wcB

Yeah upon closer examination they have different plastic socket. So carefully with it.

Last edited by bbsitum; 01-15-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

So I bought that thing in above link. Connected to empty port. Sound would be good if I would not hear my car noise in speakers too. Engine, even alarm bip when car do not drive and key is on. Somebody say it is solution -
Amazon Amazon
. Do anyone have same problem with auxiliary jack adapter?
To another guy with similar problem "What you have here is know as ground loop. You need a ground isolator for your aux cable like this one".
From that amazon link "
  • Eliminating Buzzing Noise : Completely eliminating the buzzing noise, caused by ground loops which happens when the audio source and the speaker use the same power source) in some car speakers / home stereo systems when using the Bluetooth receiver."
I can see it happening but why seller of auxiliray jack didn't warn about this possibility.

Last edited by bbsitum; 02-10-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

This is explanation https://www.lifewire.com/whining-noi...x-input-534592.
Even walmart and best buy selling "ground loop noise isolator". Hope this problem will go soon.

Last edited by bbsitum; 02-10-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I post new tread in Audio part of forum in hope to get more knowledge about this ground loop problem.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Well "ground loop insulator" show up and it didn't work. Failed case. It is important for other to know. Auxiliary audio jack do not work at g2 acura tl. Engineering come in play, something about speakers using same power source lie auxiliary jack. Well 30$ at head. New head unit here we come.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Dont waste your time and money on another OEM headunit. Get a aftermarket radio with Aux in/usb etc. It will make life easier and it will sound better.
Well I had to lost 30$ to learn it. Well someone need to explore auxiliary jack route.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Found this
"Hate to disagree with you...haven't found a TL with aftermarket HU that has better SQ then my stock HU with zapco amps and digital processing. Talk about control: time alignment, phasing, more eq options then any after market HU i've seen. With a 3 way front stage, I can tune one speaker at a time...Laptop connectable from front seat listening position, etc., etc., one of these days all the West Coast TL audio nutz can get together and compare...I've listened to a lot of competition level audio cars, and changing the TL Stock HU is the very last thing I would ever do...

If I stop getting trophies in the competitions I'm in, then maybe I'd reconsider, but there is a whole list of other things I would try first.

I forget who started the thread, but I appreciate his honesty. He likes the bells and whistles of the aftermarket HU's, that's way cool. But when start saying after market HU is the key to the best SQ it is way more complicated then that my friend..."
Here https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-3g-tl-747353/ comment #25

This comment by same guy. He is in some audio competitions.

"I don't understand why people replace the stock HU/Navi....a complete waste of money. You can get better sound quality, volume, keep all functionality, etc... using 1 or 2 aftermarket amps, after market speakers, and eq.
I'll be at a small car audio meet this Sat. in the Bay Area if you want to hear what is possible with stock hu."

Last edited by bbsitum; 02-17-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I decide to try little more to eliminate that f ground loop till look for another solution.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Can I try to disconnect that blue connector that is, I guess, for CD, so my external jack will not compete for power with head unit CD. I ask instead of try because I need to take apart it again. My external jack is connected to left most socket. Big blue one is for CD but I guess now for speakers too (to many wires) and white one is power connector? Yup question do not make sense any more as signal from mp3 player need to go through head unit CD to be in speakers.
" I was told by Crutchfield it can't be done on 2003 models but 2004 and later models can." It is from another tread. My question if anyone at forum use auxilliary jack adapter for g2 tl wit success. I didn't find no one so far. I can go blue toot route but want be sure route 1 do not work.
Attached Thumbnails Audio at Acura tl s 2003 dissapointment-rad-39101-s0k-a22-l2-1100-map.jpg  

Last edited by bbsitum; 04-28-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Probably will buy that blitzsafe, hopefully will work.
/forums/f47/present-day-options-aux-audio-input-99-tl-91534/
Why I have feeling that I'm talking with myself in this tread. Good again, can follow my line of thinking. Will take apart console this time and keep it apart till sure problem is solved. If need be for months so will be.

Last edited by bbsitum; 04-28-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Went to "Subzero" or so is name of professional shop that do only acoustic in the car. They wasn't capable to remove ground loop noise but collect 40$ any way. So verdict is can not be done in ours cars. What new head unit you would recommend for ours cars. So so far 40 + 18(adapter) + 15$(ground loop izolator) for nothing. Would be better to buy new head unit right away. Why I always feel like sort of trail blazer.

Last edited by bbsitum; 05-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Well I did what I said. Give to Best buy to install new head unit for me. Sony one 90$ 55W X 4. Work good. Paid for hands only 90$. Original price for hands was 65$ standard charge plus 60$ for wairing woofer but after job is done guy charged me 40$ less because I did made loose rear sit and console before job. This work properly and give me maximum that is possible from that acura tl Bose speakers. I have blootooth and can talk over head unit at my phone. I need not it. Will stick with mp3 player as it had bigger screen than one at head unit and it give me more song search capabilities. I think lesson from all of those is if is proved at internet that you can add external audio adapter you can go that route otherwise buy new head unit. Again if you think you can get most modern head unit installed for meh 240$ or so. Why than fight old units.

Last edited by bbsitum; 07-31-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Connected my mp3 player through audio jack first. I was capable to control mp3 player. But when I connect mp3 player through ubs to head unit all control of mp3 are lost and mp3 player behave like as it is connected to computer. Of course it is easier find songs at mp3 player screen (sony walkman) than at (sony again) head unit. My question if I connect my android phone to head unit will I be capable to control music from android phone? Guy at sony support said possible if compatibile. Guy who installed my audio said no way to control a mp3 player after is connected to head unit through ubs. To add dac in head unit is better than dac in mp3 player clearly and much more amplifiing is done. Therefore I like ubs route.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Put a few songs at my Android phone. Connected to car audio. I can control music from phone but sound is pathetic. In connection, from some reason, DAC from phone is used and that DAC is total crap. DAC from my mp3 player is just sligthy lower quality than DAC in my head unit. Probably a DAC from 1000$ phone is good but why I would need it if I have good DAC in head unit. Plus I do not need my phone be charged all time. So no smart phone connection do not work. Flash drive look like way. Mp3 player connected at jack or usb is resonable solution too. Smart phone is not for me.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Can not believe I went through all of this where solution was simple - new head unit and flash drive. Flash drive is easy controllable from head unit (Sony in my case). Why I post again in this tread? I ripped a few CDs to FLAC for difference of usually mp3 and wav. Sound is very good in flac at acura tl speakers and Sony head unit. I'm impressed. Probably complete flash drive will go to Flac. Try for itself. IMO flac sound good at ours stereo system. New head unit, old speakers and woofer, flash drive and flac, it is way to go here IMO.

Last edited by bbsitum; 12-19-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Hey bbsitum, I'm glad you found a solution that worked. I was upset at the lack of audio quality through the tapedeck adapter as well, but really liked the aesthetic of the original HU so I went a slightly different route.
I pulled the head unit and found the audio output pins from the tapedeck section, and soldered some wires to that. I then connected those wires to the corresponding channels on a bluetooth chip, which I connected to the power supply of the HU. I had to make a capacitor filter to get some engine sounds to stop coming through the bluetooth chip from the power source, and had to make a shielded cable for the audio connection (didn't HAVE to, but I didn't feel like driving to the store and I had everything I needed to DIY). Some messing around with grounding afterwards, and I've kept the stock HU aesthetic but with a modern bluetooth adapter. Sure, bluetooth ain't ideal in terms of sound but it blows the tape deck sound out of the water. Plus, the tape deck still works if I flip the bluetooth switch to off!
^ Just in case someone Googles for this and stumbles upon this thread.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I wrote up "rip to mp3 and wav". Should be written "rip to mp3 and wma". Wma is another loose coding from Windows, and wav is obviously lossless. I do not have experience with wav.

Quick Reply: Audio at Acura tl s 2003 dissapointment