Flashing D5 and battery not getting a charge.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:34 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flashing D5 and battery not getting a charge.

Hey all,

So here's the story. I have a 2003 Acura TL Type-S. Just had a rebuilt tranny installed last August.

I got my car stuck in the snow the other night. I took me about 5 minutes to get out of the snow by throwing the car into drive and reverse until I got unstuck.

Started my car the next day and noticed the D5 was flashing on the dash. I drove it and noticed the car was stuck in 5th gear, it didn't shift into 5th gear it was just already in 5th gear when I started driving.

Drove it to the gas station, and it didn't start after fueling my car. Jumped it, it started. Drove back home and the car lost all power. So the battery isn't getting a charge.

Not sure how these issues are related. Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
Question Bad Day

Check the ground cables going from the battery to the transmission and to the body of the car, maybe there loose so wiggle them also check for corrosion.
If the problem persist with the D5 light check the connectors on the trans, if nothing unplugged then take it back to the shop that rebuilt it if the warranty is still effect.
I'll assume the CEL and TCS lights are on so if you can have it scanned it can give clues to better help you.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Wow that sounds strange. Best thing to do would be to get the code(s) extracted from the computer and go from there.
Rocking a stuck car by going from drive to reverse is never a good thing as it can really heat up the fluid and do some damage to the trans. ESP so on these fragile transmissions
Old 12-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Also forgot to mention check the ATF level with the engine warm and off on a level surface and pull the dipstick with the yellow loop by the battery, make sure to clean it and insert it back into the trans then pull to see the level, check that it is between the 2 dots.

The trans is in Limp mode, I believe its in 3rd gear and wont shift because theres a fault somewhere. Range sensor, Broken solenoid connectors or wires wont know until you can scan it for clues.
The following users liked this post:
Blaine97 (01-04-2014)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Welcome Blaine97 !!!
So just how much snow were ya stuck in and ya know that rocking between gears is not the best thing to do. Maybe the snow got lodged up underneath and caused one of the solenoid's wiring to become loose as ErickUa5 previously mentioned. Check the codes and around the bottom area of the tranny for anything out of place.

Not starting is rather strange, but check the ground from the battery to the tranny as that could cause issues. Have the electrical system load tested, as it may be a weak battery or faulty alternator ?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I've been having similar problems with mine. Can't figure out what's going on. Won't keep a charge and won't shift right. You wouldn't happen to also be having an electronic buzzing coming from the side of the transmission closest to the firewall would you?
Blaine97 (01-04-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Try to isolate the source of the "buzzing" noise.....as it may be a solenoid or relay hanging up or shorted.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM
9th Gear

Blackbeast, I do have that buzzing noise. It started the same time the D5 light started blinking.

Thanks everyone this all good stuff, I just literally finished replacing my alternator. I brought the old one to Autozone and they said it was bad. The transmission still isn't shifting right though.

I think you all are right that I may have a broken connection somewhere, it makes the most sense. I will have to check that out here shortly. Thanks again
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaine97
Blackbeast, I do have that buzzing noise. It started the same time the D5 light started blinking.

Thanks everyone this all good stuff, I just literally finished replacing my alternator. I brought the old one to Autozone and they said it was bad. The transmission still isn't shifting right though.

I think you all are right that I may have a broken connection somewhere, it makes the most sense. I will have to check that out here shortly. Thanks again
I just made a thread actually that you can check out to make sure it's the same buzzing. It's so weird that it started when the battery died the first time. How would you describe what happened to yours? Did you lose all gears?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey Blaine97, with the D5 flashing....have the codes checked. This may help to find the cause of the tranny problem, ya never know !!!
Try to isolate the source of the buzzing sound. Check all the grounds and solenoid connections.
Blaine97 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 05:40 PM
9th Gear

I didn't lose all the gears. I can shift through all the gears if I shift up from 1-2 thru D3, D4, and D5. But if Im at a full stop either at D3, D4, or D5 it wont shift through 1st, 2nd and so on, it just stays in high gear.

When Im in D5 I can drive at 60 mph with low RPM's so I would suppose that it is in 4th or 5th gear. I might add that the semi-manual position does not work anymore either.

My ground wires all look okay, I couldn't find any loose wires or broken connections of any sort. Im going to have to get the codes checked. I'm trying to avoid paying someone to fix it for me haha.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same type of problem, last week I came back from a trip to Minnesota, and the next day my car doesn't start, so I get jumped and it starts just fine. Everytime I would turn my car off it wont start back up, (it also doesn't click). Today I took the car to Autozone to have them diagnose the problem, they said I had a bad battery, which I bought a brand new one and had them install it that same day, same problem, still didn't start, and no clicking. The car only starts when I get a jump. Anyone know what could be the problem?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM
9th Gear

I installed a new alternator. The car should still run if the battery is disconnected when the car is running, I disconnected the battery and the car shut off. So my alternator is not charging the battery.

Does anyone know if the blinking D5 light is a result of this problem. Does the computer set the car in "Limp Mode" for a situation like this?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Blaine97
I installed a new alternator. The car should still run if the battery is disconnected when the car is running, I disconnected the battery and the car shut off. So my alternator is not charging the battery.

Does anyone know if the blinking D5 light is a result of this problem. Does the computer set the car in "Limp Mode" for a situation like this?
Do a bulb check! Does the battery light on the dash come on when you turn the key without starting the engine? Position 2, its by the check engine light.
If it does not thats why your having that issue with the charging system.
First work on the charging system then worry about the tranny after if it persist.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Question

Originally Posted by CorbinMB
I have the same type of problem, last week I came back from a trip to Minnesota, and the next day my car doesn't start, so I get jumped and it starts just fine. Everytime I would turn my car off it wont start back up, (it also doesn't click). Today I took the car to Autozone to have them diagnose the problem, they said I had a bad battery, which I bought a brand new one and had them install it that same day, same problem, still didn't start, and no clicking. The car only starts when I get a jump. Anyone know what could be the problem?
Check your battery post and terminals for corrosion also make sure they are tightened and clean on the inside.
Maybe thats why it starts with a jump since the terminals are clean on the outside they have a better connection.
Do the lights on the dash go away when you turn the key to start it without jumping it ?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

~ Hey Blaine97, have the codes read and then reset the ECU. The "flashing" D5 can cause a limp mode default, but not always. Get the code and maybe we can help. Our electronically controlled tranny's are very sensitive to electrical issues such as bad grounds and connectors.

~ Hey CorbinMB, check the battery terminal connections and also the grounds. The main ground to the tranny tends to go bad. Have the electrical system load tested at an auto parts store. This may help find the problem.