SRS after collision

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS after collision

Hello all,

I was involved in a minor crash the other day that caused my seat belt tensioner to deploy. From my research, it appears that I have to replace the seat belt, the front impact sensors, and the SRS unit, in addition to body work.

After being quoted 2600$ by the dealer, I have a few questions:

Is 2600$ a fair estimate?
Can any of these components be reset instead of replaced?
Does anyone know a cheaper alternative to the dealer to buy these parts?
Has anyone done this work themselves, and how much of a hassle is it?

Thanks for reading and god bless.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I never understood why people took their cars to dealers after accidents. Take it to a reputable body shop. Was the accident your fault? If not, call their insurance company stat. If it was, do you have comprehensive or collision insurance? I am willing to bet it would be cheaper to pay the deductible (assuming less than $1000) and take the premium hit than it would be to pay out of pocket.

In any case, the dealer should be the last place to go for a collision repair.

Last edited by oo7spy; 09-25-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You must not have comprehensive if you are asking this question. Yeah, go to a body shop, but the parts count will add up quickly. Don't expect a huge discount. Let us know what they say. I wish someone would plow into mine! Not really, I don't want to get hurt, I use my body for work.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by brboy
Hello all,

I was involved in a minor crash the other day that caused my seat belt tensioner to deploy. From my research, it appears that I have to replace the seat belt, the front impact sensors, and the SRS unit, in addition to body work.

The SRS is not for the DIY. That is a specialized sysrem and needs specialized skills and tools. Especially if you are R&R air bags.. Unless you have a through understanding of the SRS System, you sould leave it to the professionals.

One can literally make a "Fatal" mistake in less than a second.

The fact that you're asking these questions tells me you have no idea what you're getting into. I would suggest you leave it alone.
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by brboy
Hello all,

Responses in order from above...

1.May be a bit high but anything SRS related is very expensive and since we dont have pics of the damage and if that cost includes body work thats likely not that high. Prices climb very quickly now adays on work due to the sophistication of cars.
2. NO
3. You can buy the parts at discount Acura dealer and see if your shop will install that way your sure to get new OEM parts
4. DONT do it. At your age you have a long life ahead of you this could compromise that if done without the skills. It doesnt take much to make your day into a very bad day. I have been working on cars for over 20years and I wont even think about messing with this stuff. I was ultra paranoid just replacing air bags on my new steering wheel ensuring system had no power and had a friend skilled in it to do it with me.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I just replaced the OPDII system and senor. They quoted me $2000.00 initially.....I called HC and got them to pay for the majority of it because I only have 27,700 miles on my 04 Acura RL.....having someone band aid fix it (paperclip) to remove the light is a joke and your system will not deploy! Don't monkey around with this....