RL vs ALL

Old 09-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
RL vs ALL

Please put in your reviews contrasting other cars you own / replacement cars with your RL.

I saw a couple review videos last week on the RL, and they sort of ticked me off. So this morning I turned in my car to replace the rear door and paint, etc. I got a 2015 CX9 fully loaded as a replacement car (it was either that, or an ILX which I drove last week). It gave me an idea: It would be nice if everyone who owns another car, or got a replacement car, to come in and contrast it vis-a-vis their RL, and see, what exactly are we missing?

Myself i'm particularly keen on finding an equivalent TL and see how exactly for half the price, we could get pretty much the same car, does the same things, and better looking, as one of the videos claims. I even spoke with my dealer and will test drive an RLX to contrast.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 AM

So far what I've noticed in the 2015 CX9:

The quality forget about it, there's no comparison there. But in terms of little things, the sun visor mirrors slide out instead of flip out, definitely better. The rear view camera is better.

The navi screen is almost half the size of the RL, and the fact that its touch screen isn't a bonus at all. 1. given how small it is, and 2, it's dangerous! The wheel we got to control most options is surely better.

The USB audio creates playlists etc. BUT. My music on my USB key is divided into folders. We click on folder view, and voila. The CX9 jumbles up all the music files in one screen, which also takes time to read and scroll.

The Navi on the CX9 is Tomtom software. While I do find the RL's kinda old, the navi the stereo system, navi, USB, bluetooth, etc on that CX9 feels like playing with a child's toy.

I won't comment much on drive quality as this is a jeep like car and the RL is a sedan.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Electronics have no place in this thread. The 2G RL uses technology from 2004 with only the minor update of Bluetooth streaming added to the MMC. Any new car with a technology package will almost certainly be better than the RL can offer.

Furthermore, what value is there in comparing a luxury cruiser sedan to a full size cross-over?
The following 2 users liked this post by oo7spy:
justnspace (09-27-2016), projektvertx (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^i want to see him compare the same year RL vs a MB AMG model

that would be more interesting than grabbing old lady grocery getters.....
Old 09-27-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Electronics have no place in this thread. The 2G RL uses technology from 2004 with only the minor update of Bluetooth streaming added to the MMC. Any new car with a technology package will almost certainly be better than the RL can offer.

Furthermore, what value is there in comparing a luxury cruiser sedan to a full size cross-over?
Actually I did mention the electronics in an RL are way better.

Edit: This is an amateurish approach, not technical pro reviews. The kind of review where you contrast: would I be better off having that versus that, etc. Which options is nicer where. Sort of a general info kinda thingy.

Last edited by oo7spy; 09-27-2016 at 03:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^i want to see him compare the same year RL vs a MB AMG model

that would be more interesting than grabbing old lady grocery getters.....
I have an manual M5 and wouldnt even try and compare the 2 but I get what y'all are saying. Either one I drive puts a smile on my face but for different reasons
RL09 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 AM

^Indeed.

I'll paste this again: This is an amateurish approach, not technical pro reviews. The kind of review where you contrast: would I be better off having that versus that, etc. Which options is nicer where. Sort of a general info kinda thingy.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:48 AM

i mean, a CX-9

two completely different cars that one shouldnt even compare in the first place.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:50 AM

i mean, a CX-9

two completely different cars that one shouldnt even compare in the first place.
You did propose instead to compare the RL with M power and AMG.

What exactly are you trying to do here?
Old 09-27-2016, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Butt isnt that what the OP is doing?
comparing two completely different cars?!?!?

Yes and Im agreeing with you I couldnt compare the 2
justnspace (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by RL09
You did propose instead to compare the RL with M power and AMG.

What exactly are you trying to do here?
trying to get you to do something FUN, instead of boring old mom vehicles.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:55 AM

trying to get you to do something FUN, instead of boring old mom vehicles.
I seee.. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Yes and Im agreeing with you I couldnt compare the 2
I think M power, AMG, RR, Bentley, Aston Martin, Tesla, and some red italian cars to be the exception, not the RL.

My aim here for building general knowledge what exists in each car among the list of what people mostly buy: a mazda 6 perhaps, C300+, 325, 528, A4, A6, etc. People usually get equivalent replacement vehicles.

More fun and general knowledge than anything professional.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:13 PM

I think M power, AMG, RR, Bentley, Aston Martin, Tesla, and some red italian cars to be the exception, not the RL.

My aim here for building general knowledge what exists in each car among the list of what people mostly buy: a mazda 6 perhaps, C300+, 325, 528, A4, A6, etc. People usually get equivalent replacement vehicles.

More fun and general knowledge than anything professional.
but that's the thing tho....

MOST cars today, especially the cars you listed ARENT going to be up to RL's snuff
they're going to echo the CX-9 review....
Old 09-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Take 2. I cleaned up the vast majority of posts that have nothing to do with the thread topic. This isn't Ramblings or 3G Ramblings. There is no 2G RL Ramblings, so don't bother putting shit here that doesn't pertain to the thread. Yes, we can have fun, make jokes, and enjoy our time here, but members are also allowed to create threads that you think are dumb, irrelevant, or pointless. If you think a thread here is any of those things, don't post in it.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually I did mention the electronics in an RL are way better.
Indeed you did. I missed that.

Should this thread evolve the way you hope, I hope that responses keep the old technology in mind and just point out that new tech is obviously better. If it's worse, that's sad and probably could use explanation.

Last edited by oo7spy; 09-27-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:42 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Where's my post about liking Cadillac better?
Or are members only allowed to post if they own an RL?

In addition, there was plenty of discussion on the likes and dislikes of the various years RL.
You deleted a lot more than the childish banter that the OP egged on...and then post that you hope it "evolves" in the direction OP hoped when he helped get it where it needed clean up and lock?

Please answer the 2nd question, I'd be glad to post my opinion my current car vs the previous Acuras I've owned (not RL, to be clear, but RSX and TL, enough to form an opinion on drive and tech).
J.
TacoBello (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

What does your Cadillac have to do with the RL? This is the RL forum. The thread title is "RL vs ALL". The opening sentence is "Please put in your reviews contrasting other cars you own / replacement cars with your RL."

Thats what this thread is about. Keep it on topic. Shit changed after some members couldn't stop antagonizing others. Some members want to be like Fuck Joe and see who they can call out until they melt down in Ramblings. If you want this place to go back to normal, then cut the shit.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Take 2. I cleaned up the vast majority of posts that have nothing to do with the thread topic. This isn't Ramblings or 3G Ramblings. There is no 2G RL Ramblings, so don't bother putting shit here that doesn't pertain to the thread. Yes, we can have fun, make jokes, and enjoy our time here, but members are also allowed to create threads that you think are dumb, irrelevant, or pointless. If you think a thread here is any of those things, don't post in it.
Sooooo why was my post deleted that strictly pertained to the 2G RL and wasn't at all controversial and was in line with the original topic?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

You mean the post where you said the 2009+ RL/RLX is the most boring car Acura ever made? There's no comparison there. That is just you showing up to 2G RL and stating how much you don't like its looks.

I saw the post in 3G Ramblings saying, "You got the thread closed. Good job gents." That's the shit I'm talking about. Taco, thoi, Joe and Justin are consistently the only 4 members running around AZ causing other members grief. J seems to join in because he forgets he's not in 3G TL. It's fucking annoying to a lot of people, and it has the attention of a lot of mods. Y'all think it's cute, but you look like idiots to everyone outside of your clique.

I stated what happened and what needed to happen. This isn't up for debate, and I'm not going to close this thread again because y'all want to argue what belongs and what doesn't. If it continues, I'll put in a request for a ban.

This thread had every possibility of doing just fine until 3 members showed up and couldn't keep it on topic for their lives. You don't get to ruin other member's experiences for the sake of your own.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
dafuq is happening in here

04-08 RL FTW
Old 09-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
You mean the post where you said the 2009+ RL/RLX is the most boring car Acura ever made? There's no comparison there. That is just you showing up to 2G RL and stating how much you don't like its looks.
What's wrong with that statement? Looks are a matter of subjectivity. I love the pre MMC 2G RL as well and am not a fan of the newer look. We've talked in multiple threads, ramblings or otherwise about our feelings toward it. What's the problem with expressing our opinion in a thread labeled as RL versus the rest?
I saw the post in 3G Ramblings saying, "You got the thread closed. Good job gents." That's the shit I'm talking about.
yes I wrote that, what was wrong with that statement? Were you able to somehow interpret my intention in that statement? Here it was: wow.. You guys are treading in dangerous water because I know 007spy is a stickler for keeping ramblings in ramblings....great job "

Taco, thoi, Joe and Justin are consistently the only 4 members running around AZ causing other members grief.
I have yet to receive any warning from any mods regarding my behavior. Please do the needful and I will adjust accordingly.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

I stated the problem in your quote. Please reread what you quoted. Also, read the rules. "This forum is information based. We try to keep it that way. If you have nothing to add to a thread then do not post. People start threads here because they need answers. If you can't provide any input you are better off not posting." https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...d-them-789210/

Whats wrong with your remark regarding this thread is that you give no indication of your intentions. Some people will see this as fueling the fire, and your intentions become negligible when they act on that. Please, make yourself more clear next time.

I don't doubt you haven't received any warnings. You and everyone else reading can consider this thread a warning on this topic though. If you don't have information the OP is looking for in a model specific forum, you probably shouldn't post. You definitely shouldn't run up two pages of bullshit in a couple of hours. You can enjoy these forums and joke around, but this is not Ramblings or even Car Talk. There are rules here which keep things concise, helpful, and civil.

Finally, I should have stated from the get go that these discussions should be done through PM. I have no problem with transparency, but we have now hijacked this thread twice. If you have questions about a moderators actions, you should reach out to them through PM, not the public forum. Any more discussion here will be moved to a PM.

Last edited by oo7spy; 09-27-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

OP, you need to test drive the hybrid RLX. The PAWS drivetrain leaves a ton to be desired.

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
I have an manual M5 and wouldnt even try and compare the 2 but I get what y'all are saying. Either one I drive puts a smile on my face but for different reasons
Is there anything that is comparable between the two? Is there anything the RL does/has that's better?

Last edited by oo7spy; 09-27-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I had a rental Altima 2.5S when my RL got side swiped. There were 3 main things I noticed that I could compared to the RL or any car for that matter.

- The seats (fabric) in the Altima were very soft, but they had no support. The RL has wonderful seats for long cruises.
- The pedal response of the Altima was much quicker. I wouldn't doubt if it could beat the RL to 60 ft on the strip.
- The downfall of ^that was the engine had no refinement above 5K rpm. It just got louder and noisier.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 PM

I'm driving the RLX tomorrow not sure if its hybrid. i'll try and find that.

There's also a ton TLs for sale in many showrooms. I would like to drop by one and try that.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
The RLX hybrid has piqued my interest...
but it's out of my price range new.

Main reason it has is that Doc (Bob) drives one as a daily along with his V wagon and he seems to enjoy it.
The RL having had AWD all along was always a selling point to me...at one point I STRONGLY considered making the jump from a 3G TL to a whatever G the 04-08 are because of it, and the fact that it was the flagship car for the company. At the time, not being manual...and feeling like it might not be enough of an upgrade kept me from making that decision.

Although I don't LOVE the rear of the 09ish RL...I could see it looking cool with some modifications. I'm looking forward to reading other's impressions of it as well and how it stacks up against other cars in the same class.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
I do not have experience with other cars in the same class as the RL. But since the thread title is VS ALL, I guess I have some input to share. We are getting close to 2017, and I feel like the pre MMC RL still looks contemporary next to new models by other companies. That is assuming that the RL paint is in good shape, doesn't have chips on the chrome moldings or faded headlights. People stop to ask me if my RL is a new model, but that might be due to the modifications I installed. Of course the technology should begin to be outdated since the design is over a decade old, and a lot of AWD vehicles have torque vectoring now.
One aspect that really stands out for me is the design quality and reliability. Before my RL I owned a Jeep SRT8. Different class but both vehicles were $50,000 new. My Jeep had worn out buttons with blown bulbs behind the dashboard and instrument panel, the rear defroster stopped working, drivers side A-pillar leaked when it rained. I'm beginning my forth year with the RL and I haven't had a single thing go wrong. I seriously haven't spent a penny besides general maintenance. It would have been interesting to see how the general public reacted if Acura released the Mugen M1 version in the states.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Worst part of that comparison is that the RL commonly has all those issues.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote that out lol
Old 09-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

It's all good. I wasn't nullifying your comparison. It's just unfortunate that a good number of RL owners had the same sentiments you had with your Jeep.

$50k cars shouldn't do that.

Last edited by oo7spy; 10-03-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Try comparing the RLX to the Hyundai Genesis Sedan (now Genesis G80). The rear-wheel drive Genesis drives better, is more comfortable and has lots more features that the RLX for thousands less.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a 2011 acura rl, and am comparing my buddies 2015 Infiniti Q50S. I will point out the the pros and cons I noticed.

Acura pros:
Quieter cabin
Seats are more comfy
Nav while you drive
SHAWD
overall more luxury then sport
sunshades

Infiniti pros
MPG
More fun to drive feels lighter more agile
More power
Instant throttle response
overall more sport then luxury

Old 12-07-2016, 12:57 PM

I've test driven an RLX Sport Hybrid. Dealer said Apws do not exist anymore (sorry, i didn't know). All RLXs are Hybrid now according to him.

I like the car. Its a SHAWD so naturally drove great on snow with summer tires on. The finishing inside the car is great. New grooves and soft leather stuff. The warm steering wheel is a plus. they also added a sunglasses compartment!

The on screen display shows only the speedometer. No more stick to switch gears, and the knob is smaller, and further in. You have to extend your arm to reach it.

The screen is touch. still hate the touch screen idea.

One major drawback is when you wanna take a turn, and press the gas again, the car stalls. Even on Sport mode, it took it a bit to pick up. As if the darned battery is weak or something. My 09 u press the gas if flies off. That I found weird.

The trunk is the 2nd major drawback. Honestly, with a trunk that size (battery takes half the trunk away) I dunno why anyone bothers.

Overall, great car. Takes some getting used to. But I did not feel like this was wayy better than my car. Not at all. In fact, I believe a 6 speed tranny will be a better upgrade than towards an 8 speed one. too much. If I was loaded with cash, I'd still get an Elite 2012.

They got a white elite 2012 mint condition, Elite package, traded in last week. they sent it straight to Acura's auction. They "can't take the risk it'll sit there forever" No one buys them apparently.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
^Weird, I can still build a 2017 P-AWS on Acura's site... When I drove the Sport Hybrid last June, I remember telling my dad (who was on the test drive with me) that it was a more refined version of my car. They had eliminated a lot of the harshness from the 2G. Granted, the Sport Hybrid is 10 years newer, so that's almost expected. I'm personally not a big fan of touch screens in cars but that seems to be the way of the future with no end in sight, so I guess we have to get used to it... However, my biggest gripe with the Sport Hybrid was this: In Acura's attempt to remove the harshness out of the 2G, they removed part of the soul of the car. They removed the sheer road feel and road response which I like about the 2G. I was willing to deal with a more comfortable numb experience, but what really got to me was this: they made the steering electronic. As a result, the steering was WAY too numb for me, even in sport mode, and didn't give me the same road feel as a traditional system does. I'll still consider the RLX for my next car when the time comes and I will definitely revisit it, but I was a little disappointed at the time.
oo7spy (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 08:51 PM

It's probably a Kanata thingy. go to .ca i only saw sport hybrid there in tech and elite.

I forgot to mention, the damned 2017 still has a flip sun visor mirror not slide

And yes, I agree with the wheel feeling more artificial. It felt like a higher end all electronic car indeed. I left there asking about that 2012 they just let go, and thinking i'll buy two of them, drive one and hide one; so i can drive it once the first one was dead, till kingdom come

The tiny trunk is a deal breaker for me.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
My wife's car is my backup car so I can speak from that perspective of what I miss in RL.

Recently RL was in for repairs for quite some time so I was driving '13 TL, Tech and I liked couple of things over my RL:
- Acceleration
- Push-Button Start... Not a huge issue, but push-button felt up to speed with what year we live in
- Backup Camera I actually got used to and definitely liked it.

Now:
First thing I was missing from RL while driving TL was lux fluffy comfortability because TL is bit more stiff, suspension is tuned differently which is understandable considering RL is level up. Now, this level-up model also has a factor of RL being 2006, and TL being 2013... so distinction between the two is still there - still different tiers
I should mention that my front seats in RL were re-upholstered and there was added padding that improved the fluffy feeling a bit

Second thing I missed was SH-AWD. Rainy / snowy days do get handled better by RL of course, while TL is a front-wheel drive and quite bit hp for FWD there is.

Third thing I was missing was turning headlights - not desperately, but I still noticed it was not there.

Everything else worked pretty much the same, but I am aware that these two are very similar cars
Old 12-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by jime
Try comparing the RLX to the Hyundai Genesis Sedan (now Genesis G80). The rear-wheel drive Genesis drives better, is more comfortable and has lots more features that the RLX for thousands less.
Can anyone explain to me why does Genesis and Hyundai cars overall drop in pricing so bad? Resale value is terrible... in addition to that, are there any comparable prizes and awards that Hyundai won in the last few decades (where we know Honda did)?

I might be wrong, it sort of comes to the personal preference, but comparing the test drive between the two cars does not really much tell the story about the car... Yes, the ride can be better, but I think that Honda/Acura history and experience brings much more to the table in terms of reliability, quality, etc vs Hyundai... I never owned Hyundai, but comparing apples and oranges sometimes does not make much sense to me...
Old 12-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
Originally Posted by rl015
Can anyone explain to me why does Genesis and Hyundai cars overall drop in pricing so bad? Resale value is terrible... in addition to that, are there any comparable prizes and awards that Hyundai won in the last few decades (where we know Honda did)?

I might be wrong, it sort of comes to the personal preference, but comparing the test drive between the two cars does not really much tell the story about the car... Yes, the ride can be better, but I think that Honda/Acura history and experience brings much more to the table in terms of reliability, quality, etc vs Hyundai... I never owned Hyundai, but comparing apples and oranges sometimes does not make much sense to me...

crappy brand recognition?
rlx015 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by rl015

I'll preface this by saying that this post has a lot of personal opinions it, so I guess take it with a grain of salt. While I acknowledge that Hyundai has come a long way since the '90's, where there cars where horrendous, I've always had an image of Hyundai as a car I wouldn't want. They don't stand out in my mind for anything other than possibly value? Your dollar goes a long way with them-so long as you're not keeping the car for over 5 years. Plus Hyundai (and Korean cars in general) have a brand image issue. I think a lot of people see it as like a Samsung TV, something that's really cool buying new because of all the cool tech in it, but not something I'd pick up off craigslist second hand... Again, all personal opinion...