F-005: RL Top Display (climate control/clock/radio) display flickering..help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F-005: RL Top Display (climate control/clock/radio) display flickering..help!!

Hi All,

My top display in the RL is flickering at every bump in the road. By top display, I mean the one on top of the dash- for the climate control temp, radio, and clock displays. At times it will go nearly dark and I have to give it a nice whack to get it come on again. It seems like there is a loose connection somewhere.

Does anyone a) know what the issue is and/or b) know how to remove that top display/center channel speaker?

Thanks for the help!

Popular Reply

04-16-2012, 06:44 AM
db22
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I had the same problem and here is my solution:
The center channel speaker unit just pulls straight up on 4 clips, they are push fit and pushing up at the display will release the 2 facing you and you can get to the other 2 very easily by pulling the whole unit up. Once released, there are two connectors that need to be disconnected, one is for the display and the other one is for the speaker. Now you can take the unit to the bench and you will see a few plastic clips and/or screws that hold the display together. Now you need to disassemble the display so that the pc board is free. On the PC board you may see some corrosion or some dryed solution, the solution is usually from the bath in manufacture that dissolves the flux used in soldering. The soldering assembly is not very good on this unit and you will have to inspect with a magnifying glass all of the solder points for what is called a "dry joint". It is frequently easier to touch each soldering point with a soldering iron to get "flow". You may need to use a little solder on each point but make sure the solder flows. If you do not have any flux cleaner then iso-alcohol will work to clean the board after soldering.
If you do not feel profficient at soldering then you should find somebody that is to help you as one mistake could destroy the board and I think that I got quoted over $250. It's been a long time since I fixed mine but the problem never came back.
If you need any more details let me know and I will try to help.
Obviously check that the 2 connectors are mated correctly before attempting the above. If they are loose, which I doubt, then just reseat them. I would not bother with the fuse routine because fuses are binary: they either have continuity or they don't, I.E. they either allow current to flow or they don't.
The other test would be to pull the unit up at the display and see if you can "flex" or twist the unit with your hands to see if it blanks the screen or not. If the flexing creates the intermittent issue then I propose the dry joint solution.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,246 Likes on 4,857 Posts
Check the fuse first. Although it would not likely correlate to your whacking, it would correlate to the bumps.

For removal instructions, check out the service manual in the garage.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same issue, but the dealer couldn't "replicate" it so I will schedule another appt in the future.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 845 Posts
Its got to be as simple as a loose connection, but my concern would be why your car is riding rough enough to shake things loose like that.

Unless the GA roads are terrible.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Its got to be as simple as a loose connection, but my concern would be why your car is riding rough enough to shake things loose like that.

Unless the GA roads are terrible.
I'm living in Seattle, Washington now. The roads aren't great, but it's not harsh impacts I'm talking about. Just the general movement of the car will cause the display to go nuts. And it's driving me crazy.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well we know it's a loose connection either inside or outside the unit. I imagine getting to it is a nightmare. If you get there, you might as well replace it. Find one used or new? It might not be that expensive since it's so simple. If you're lucky it will have one harness on it and the problem might be there.check out the service manual, is there a diagram of the wiring harnesses?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shahram72
Well we know it's a loose connection either inside or outside the unit. I imagine getting to it is a nightmare. If you get there, you might as well replace it. Find one used or new? It might not be that expensive since it's so simple. If you're lucky it will have one harness on it and the problem might be there.check out the service manual, is there a diagram of the wiring harnesses?
So the biggest question is...how to access it? How do I take that center channel out and remove the display? I shudder to think that it might take removing half the dash
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

I will look through the service manual in the garage tomorrow, but my guess is that it is as easy a popping up the cover over the center speaker.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

The center channel speaker unit just pulls straight up on 4 clips, they are push fit and pushing up at the display will release the 2 facing you and you can get to the other 2 very easily by pulling the whole unit up. Once released, there are two connectors that need to be disconnected, one is for the display and the other one is for the speaker. Now you can take the unit to the bench and you will see a few plastic clips and/or screws that hold the display together. Now you need to disassemble the display so that the pc board is free. On the PC board you may see some corrosion or some dryed solution, the solution is usually from the bath in manufacture that dissolves the flux used in soldering. The soldering assembly is not very good on this unit and you will have to inspect with a magnifying glass all of the solder points for what is called a "dry joint". It is frequently easier to touch each soldering point with a soldering iron to get "flow". You may need to use a little solder on each point but make sure the solder flows. If you do not have any flux cleaner then iso-alcohol will work to clean the board after soldering.
If you do not feel profficient at soldering then you should find somebody that is to help you as one mistake could destroy the board and I think that I got quoted over $250. It's been a long time since I fixed mine but the problem never came back.
Obviously check that the 2 connectors are mated correctly before attempting the above. If they are loose, which I doubt, then just reseat them. I would not bother with the fuse routine because fuses are binary: they either have continuity or they don't, I.E. they either allow current to flow or they don't.
The other test would be to pull the unit up at the display and see if you can "flex" or twist the unit with your hands to see if it blanks the screen or not. If the flexing creates the intermittent issue then I propose the dry joint solution.
The following 12 users liked this post by db22:
bluetl04 (01-24-2015), EL19 (01-10-2013), GiovanniRL (11-19-2017), HEAVY_RL (04-16-2012), jcsumlin (11-09-2015), Jerrod Mercer (10-11-2017), kcjohnnyboy (02-18-2016), MarkII (01-02-2022), mpbergeron (04-19-2018), oo7spy (04-16-2012), Paul Graham Milford (09-16-2016), Tryn2remaincalm (10-24-2021) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Great write up. With all the expensive displays on this thing and other complicated systems, I would not complain about replacing this unit even at $250! Can't our radios and other things be sent off of repair? Because $2300 is steep for a new radio. Changers often fail. I know the DVD computer in the back can be sent off and refurbished for $160.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

The radio yes, this display, no.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Damn db! That's the most serious post I have ever seen out of you!

What is your profession if you don't mind my asking?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Damn db! That's the most serious post I have ever seen out of you!

What is your profession if you don't mind my asking?
Post production systems and electronics engineering. And I promise not to be serious again!
The following 2 users liked this post by db22:
HEAVY_RL (04-16-2012), oo7spy (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry but one last serious bit:
If you try to resolder the PC board, I think that there is a surface mount IC for the driver display. That is where my problem was so it will aleviate the necessity for hitting all of the solder points if the solder for the IC looks a matte finish or looks crystalized.
The following 2 users liked this post by db22:
oo7spy (04-16-2012), thedream21479 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Usually when I start talking like that all I get back is .
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

He is talking about me... and its this smiley
Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Usually when I start talking like that all I get back is .

Simmer down you two....and stop running with scissors, soldering irons, or whatever....
Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '05 suffers from this as well. I just have to give the housing a little love tap to bring the display back. It's just another quirk I have grown to live with.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually, I was thinking more along these lines.
Originally Posted by RL Bose 2 ohm audio system question
I haven't replaced my speakers yet, but have a pretty good knowledge of audio engineering. Ultimately, db22 is right in that the only speakers YOU will be powering with the amp are the ones you are replacing, and you know that the rear speakers are fine with the factory amp. Therefore, you don't care how the factory speakers interact with your amplifier. Just make sure the speakers you hook up to the amplifier are within the load range of the amp.

Just for anyone's information though:
The amplifier is going to attempt to keep the amplitude of the voltage swing (signal) coming out of its mosfets (drivers) the same regardless of the load attached. Power = V*I, or = V^2/R because of Ohm's Law- V=I*R. Were V is your voltage (signal), I is the current, and R is your resistance (load). Therefore, the lower the load resistance (ohms), the higher the power you are going to get out of the speaker. However, the restriction to achieving ridiculous power by just lowering the resistance of the speaker is Ohms Law. Whenever the voltage remains the same, and the resistance is lowered, the current must increase by the same factor. The mosfets have a limited current driving capability, and when this is pushed, they will cause extreme distortion and eventually fail. Either because of current-overload protection in the amp, or essentially blowing up, they won't work temporarily or forever. If you match the resistance of the speaker to the acceptable range of the amp, you will be fine.

What is interesting is your last statement.

What do you think "better sound" is- loud or clean (not distorted)? IMHO "better sound" means the least amount of distortion possible at high volume. If you agree with me about this, then you would actually look for a higher impedance speaker, and put an amp behind it that can make it loud. The key to distortion is keeping the current range of the mosfets small so that they can accurately change the voltage at high speed. Since current goes down as resistance goes up with the same voltage, a higher impedance = better performance. Lower impedance = higher power. Decide how much "coin" you want to spend and look for the compromise between the two that will fit your definition of better sound.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by plastics
You lost me from the get go...but I was able to program my garage door opener with no problem.

Plastics
Originally Posted by db22
OK - Let me simplify it it - if you turn the volume control clockwise then the loudness should increase. If you turn the volume control the other direction then the volume should go down. If you don't like the sound then push the volume control.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (04-20-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Racer

Thank you so much for the help. I touched up the solders as you said and it's as good as new!!

You guys all rock!
HEAVY_RL (04-28-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
This just happened to me today. It is unusually hot here today - not sure if that contributed. It came back on after a couple minutes. I will have to keep an eye on it, but thanks for the instructions on how to fix!!
MarkII (01-02-2022)
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Thorough instructions db22! Will try this tomorrow
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently bought an used rl and it has the same issue. I took it apart just like the above post by db22 mentions, and since I don't have the tools to solder the bad joints, I took the board to the local computer repair shop and asked them to re-solder the joint at the end of the board. As some other post mention, if you look really close you can notice the difference between a bad or a dry weld and a a good one. The computer guy only re-solder the last one, He charged $30 (I thought it was a lot, but the risk was worth it), I came home and put it back together and everything works like new.
MarkII (01-02-2022)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Suzuka Master

welcome, and the 30 was well spent if its working.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Frodriguez
He charged $30 (I thought it was a lot, but the risk was worth it), I came home and put it back together and everything works like new.
The $30 was broken down to 2 cents worth of solder and $29.98 to know where to put it!
BTW- a lot of people say that, "I'm a big help"!
68gtxman (09-27-2020)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The $30 was broken down to 2 cents worth of solder and $29.98 to know where to put it!
BTW- a lot of people say that, "I'm a big help"!
Actually, He did no where to put the solder or what joint to solder. I told him which ones he should redo, based on the solution to the problem that your post suggested.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
2 cents worth of solder and $29.98 to know how to solder
Old 10-06-2013, 12:44 PM
10th Gear

I have an 2006 TL. The center speaker comes out as advertised but the display is still bolted to the dash. looks like 2 screws on either side of the display holding it in. Am I missing something? I can take the center speaker out but the display is still held in place. Thanks,
Old 10-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

sorry, we own RLs
Old 10-06-2013, 02:34 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy

sorry, we own RLs
Lol......don't I feel stupid!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

dont sweat it, I have no idea what your clock even looks like haha.

Good luck fixing it.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:20 PM
10th Gear

I just had this happen today in my 2006 RL. It was flickering, looking like matrix code, then would go back to normal. It was very strange. I'm glad I looked here to see what it could have been. It is back to normal right now, but it was just weird that it happened. It happened right after starting the RL and I was turning on my phone's bluetooth. I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it, but it was still weird.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has been doing this for a while and the dealership told me $1,100 to fix (due to labor/taking it apart). I laughed. Hard. I have a phone for the time and my body can tell if I'm hot or cold. LOL
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
seems to be when I play my music loud. loose connection? Anyway when I take the clock out and hold it up it does not happen so it must be from the vibrations. Havent found exactly where the problem is but ill keep looking.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:31 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
Sounds like a cold solder joint to me. Maybe try re-flowing the PCB boards if you're comfortable doing that.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:03 AM
2nd Gear

Well thanks to the info here, I have re-soldered two joints on my top radio info/time/climate display in my 2005 Acura RL since I had a similar issue with random flickering or off condition with the display. Hopefully this fixes my problem.

Solaris
Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear

Just a quick update, after soldering those two joints and putting everything back together, I have not experienced any flickering or the panel turning off.

Solaris
Old 02-07-2015, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

clock flicker

exactly what I needed on my 05 rl........thanks man
Old 10-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tigher1206
exactly what I needed on my 05 rl........thanks man

Sorry to revive this thread but I have the same issue... I have the unit out and board in front of me but can someone tell me or post a pic of which solder point is the one that is usually the cause... and once I do find it do I just touch the tip with the soldering iron to just get it moving again?

Quick Reply: F-005: RL Top Display (climate control/clock/radio) display flickering..help!!