Paint chip repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint chip repair

Anybody had any experience using the Dr. ColorChip touch up paint chip repair
package? Have seen a lot of ads. in car mags., but no followup comments by users. At $40 to $60 bucks...seems expensive.
Thanks!!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I have used this product.

Overall it gave me better results than using a a touch up pen. Larger chips are still noticeable but I don't have the touch up globs that would need wet sanding. My RL is OBP so the chips and road rash shows, especially when wax residue fills the chips.

I think it is a decent product to address minor chips, 'freckles' and road rash if you do not want to do traditional touch up painting and sanding. It is easy to use and I used very little of the amount the kit comes with (I ordered the smallest size). It does a decent job masking minor chips, but it does not fill them and make them flush with the surrounding clearcoat - perhaps multiple applications might accomplish this. But it does blend better than touch up pens without leaving noticeble blobs which would require sanding. The color match was good, but again, I only had tiny chips to address.

I used it over a year ago, and it has held up well.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 AM
2005 RL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks TampaRL as I was wondering about this product also.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Is it worth the effort Tampa? I have the CGP and the road rash is really evident. It's hopeless trying to fill it in with a pen.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Is it worth the effort Tampa? I have the CGP and the road rash is really evident. It's hopeless trying to fill it in with a pen.
Hey Hawks,

I think it is best on rash. Depending on how much rash 'freckles' you have, you can use the dab and smear method or smear with a cotton cloth. Then you blend it with a sealer that also blends with the clearcoat. I think it would do nicely on CGP. For me, I no longer have those obvious white spots from the rash and some of the chips I filled. Even using a touch up pen you will wind up with raised spots that can be more unsightly than the rash and chips. I am not skilled in sanding and blending, so this product worked for my satisfaction and $40.

It is not perfect and I did not find it up to the flawless restoration they project....but it was reasonable for the cost and ease of use.

If you Google on it you will find plenty of pro and con reviews on it and YouTube video demos. One of the most accurate I found on the Lexus IS forums.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:29 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I may have to try it. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes this is a 5 year old thread, I searched a lot and still have a question: I purchased OEM touch up paint, and am ready to use it on my many chips on front hood and bumber, scratches on sides, et al, but do I also need to find a clear coat to spray on after touching up? and if so, what clear coat is the best?

Go ahead and flame away, it's an internet forum, I can take it...
Old 05-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Thanks for finding this thread instead of starting a new one.

When I used the OEM touch up paint on my wife's '09 Civic, I found the spot to look dull compared to the surrounding paint. That's likely because I didn't apply any clear coat. If you can find an easy way to apply clear coat, I would recommend it, but I would caution you to do so carefully in a manner that doesn't cause different textures between the repair and the original paint. It seems plausible that if there was some texture differences, you could use some rubbing compound to smooth it out.

Good luck, and report back with results.
The following users liked this post:
RLifer (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Larger chips are still noticeable but I don't have the touch up globs that would need wet sanding.

I think it is a decent product to address minor chips, 'freckles' and road rash if you do not want to do traditional touch up painting and sanding. ...It does a decent job masking minor chips, but it does not fill them and make them flush with the surrounding clearcoat ... But it does blend better than touch up pens without leaving noticeble blobs which would require sanding.
I think Tampa summed it up here... if you have large areas this is not a solution... if you want to touch up small chips it will work.

Larger chips/scratches may look worse with out some sanding/polishing.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
You can buy clear coat in a brush application, same way you use it to brush on touch up paint.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:44 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
I have purchased and used Dr Color Chip on 4 of my cars plus my sister's new Audi. The results have varied widely depending on the car and color.
I drive my own cars avg of 40k miles annually, so paint chips and road rash are common.
Best results were on my new 2012 White Diamond Pearl Kia Optima. Dr Color Chip does some special formulation for the WDP and it is a perfect match. The Kia dealer supplied WDP touch up came out stark white, where the Dr Color Chip filled the chip perfect and so was the color.
2003 Lexus LS430 in Millenium Silver I had some years back also worked well. Color match was almost perfect.
2013 Honda Civic in Crimson Pearl (dk red metallic). Decent results but color match and fill were not as good as on Kia. The hood had a lot of road rash with 57k miles when I sold the car a few months back. I was able to color the chips fairly well, but I think the factory paint on the Honda was so thin, that it was almost impossible to successfully remedy the road rash. Most of the Dr Color chip would wash away during the "sealer" process, no matter how careful I was.
Sister's 2015 Audi A3 in Monsoon Gray. I was the 1st customer they had for Monsoon gray (very surprised). Color was off a bit, had a blue tint to it. I got better results from Audi touch up tube (1 nasty door ding that chipped paint).
My current daily driver, a 2012 Acura RL in Forged Silver (silver with a hint of blue). Apparently I was their 1st customer for this color and the 1st kit they sent me was way off. It was very blue. I called them and they were very nice. They confirmed we both had the correct color code. They had me send them the Acura touch up paint and they custom blended the Acura Forged Silver based on my sample. The color match is much better, but I am hard pressed to tell if the Acura paint works better or the Dr Color Chip.
It just my guess, but I think the Kia had a thicker factory paint and that lent itself for a better touch up with Dr Color Chip. I traded the Kia in at 1.5 yrs and 45k miles and the dealer used car mgr could not believe there was even 1 nick in the car. There were actually several on the front end, but the Dr Color Chips worked so well even a pro was fooled.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
There's another kit product called "Langka the Blob Eliminator" that's probably pretty similar to the one discussed in this thread.

The heart of it is a rubbing compound that seems to contain a solvent that acts on touch-up paint but not OEM paint, so you can use it as directed to get rid of the oversize "blob" of paint that surrounds the cavity you filled, for a more level and less conspicuous repair. It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job although it requires a bit of elbow grease.