Help please!! Iphone 4 suddenly not working with 06 RL

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please!! Iphone 4 suddenly not working with 06 RL

I have a 2006 RL. About 7 months ago I bought the Iphone4. I had no trouble pairing it to the car and all worked well. I made calls, received calls, no trouble.

A few days ago I tried to pair a new garage door opener to the car. That isn't working either, but that is another issue. In trying to pair the garage door opener one of the steps I was told to do (and did) was to wipe out the homelink memory. That isn't supposed to have anything to do with the handsfree, but I put it here because it might have affected something.

Shortly thereafter suddenly my phone wouldn't work. I was no longer paired. It might not have anything to do with the garage door opener thing. Anyway....

I went through the steps to pair the phone and here is what happens:

Press button and said "phone setup"
Then press button and say "pair"
I then put in the four digit code.
The phone asks for the code and I enter it.
The car finds the phone and says please name your phone.
I then try to name the phone and it gives me a beep and kicks me out of the system without the phone being paired.

I have done this at least 20 times. Every time it "finds" the phone and says it is paired but as soon as I try to name it and press the button again it kicks me out. I have tried not naming the phone, I have tried not pushing the button to name the phone, I have tried sitting there for 15 minutes to see if the car will eventually accept it. Nothing. I can get through all the steps except the last one.

I called Acura and now they are telling me that the Iphone4 is not compatible with the Acura RL and never was. Wellllll.....it DID work fine for 7 months.

They are now telling me I need to spend the money to get the newer Iphone4S model if I want to be able to use the handsfree on my car.

Does anyone here have anything I might try, or is it possible anyone knows of something that Acura can fix to make this work? Because of course, the dealer is telling me "too bad so sad for you" (ok..that might not be an exact quote, but it sure conveys their meaning.)
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Not that it'll help but my iPhone 4 worked fine until I upgraded to the iOS5 when it stopped displaying the numbers for incoming calls. I deleted it and re-paired it a few times and while the numbers still don't display, the phone works (and pairs) fine otherwise.

You may want to find someone else with an iPhone 4 and see if you can pair theirs. That way, at least you'll know if it's the phone or the car.

LL
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to pair my husband's phone and that wouldn't work either. So, in a way, it is the car. Something has happened. It worked fine, but now doesn't. But, according to Acura, the past 7 months when it worked just fine couldn't have happened and I must have been living in an alternate universe, because here on planet earth, the phone never could have been paired....ever. And since the car never could have been paired, they won't look for any reason it isn't working now.

Now, I have seen many people on this forum even, talking about how they had an iphone 4 and it worked just fine with their car.

I had my husband upgrade to the new operating system to see if that would help since the new iphone4s supposedly works, but that didn't help either. Thanks for letting me know your experience though.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
My iPhone 4 has always paired one way or another. The most effective way is to have the BT on before turning on the car as sometimes it doesn't pair if the BT isn't on yet. However, there is a HF command to pair a phone. It is either "pair" or "find" and is used the same as "call". This will prompt the car to search for available BT devices.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
my iphone 4 links fine to my RL, and my MDX. as does my wifes iphone 4.

maybe it's not the phone.. are you having problems if you try to link another type of phone?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM
2005 RL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try a hard reboot by disconnecting the battery for longer than just a couple of minutes. The tech had my battery off for around an hour to work on my seat. When he reconnected it my bluetooth began working 100% again! We had tried a 2 minute reboot before without luck, so I'm sure that time was a factor. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Time is definitely a factor. 10-15 min should work fine.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Jennifer,
I can confirm that the iPhone 4, running iOS5 works fine with the car for handsfree, but won't let you import contacts, but otherwise works great. I wonder if there's some correlation with the people having problems and the the version of the navigation software they're on? Maybe they don't have anything to do with one another, but it's a possibilty. That said, It's worked for me with 4.13b, 4.81, and 4.A2 nav discs.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
To the OP - wonder whether your fobs got unpaired when the homelink memory was wiped
Does the MID display Welcome Driver 1 or 2?
If not, try re-pairing the fob