To fix or not fix and then sell

Old 08-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
To fix or not fix and then sell

My 2006 RL was just sideswiped by a hit and run in the parking lot. No note. Drivers door, passenger door, rear quarter, high up, above the rub strip, so it must have been a truck.

The deductible is $500, it will probably cost at least a couple of grand to fix. Is it worth it to fix and sell? The difference between good and fair in KBB is less than $500. Why take the hit on the insurance record if there is so little difference?

I have some BBS RS 19" wheels, but as far as I can tell, no new Acura uses that 5x120 bolt pattern except the MDX and the new RLX neither of which I am really enamored with.

I am going to guess if I sell the car, I leave A-Spec Suspension on, leave the exhaust on and just sell it with the original PAX wheels and tires, and try to sell the BBS wheels separately?

Any suggestions?

For 85K miles since new, it has been a great car, but I am thinking of downsizing a bit to get a mid life crisis car like maybe a WRX or GTI or R32, something smaller, lighter, faster.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Your first step is to get an estimate to determine the total cost of repairs and more forward from there. My experience tells me it always costs more to repair than you assume, and I had a few years under my belt as an insurance adjuster.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
You don't take a hit on insurance for someone else's fault. Were you set on selling it before the damage? If so, I would fix it and then sell. You are only going to get low balled with an entire side damaged. On the other hand, fresh paint on 3/4 of one side gives the impression of good maintenance.

The 4G TL uses 5x120 (edit: TLX does not). You could probably fetch a good price in the black market here.

Edit: it actually doesn't matter whether you were thinking of selling or not. Fix the car. That's what you pay into insurance every 6 months for.

Last edited by oo7spy; 08-05-2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Fixed incorrect advice
Old 08-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
You don't take a hit on insurance for someone else's fault. Were you set on selling it before the damage? If so, I would fix it and then sell. You are only going to get low balled with an entire side damaged. On the other hand, fresh paint on 3/4 of one side gives the impression of good maintenance.

The 4G TL uses 5x120, and I imagine the TLX does too. You could probably fetch a good price in the black market here.

Edit: it actually doesn't matter whether you were thinking of selling or not. Fix the car. That's what you pay into insurance every 6 months for.
Yup, what he said. Unless the car was already in such bad shape that you were going to junk it, that's what insurance is for. Last year, I paid my $100 comprehensive deductible to get the front end re-painted for rock chips.
The following users liked this post:
Ratheruneeq (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wtf... ^ You can pay a deductible to have your front end repainted for front end debris wear and tear? I mean it makes absolute sense because otherwise youre paying for insurance only to one day see it put to use via an accident.
I never thought of this type of use on an insurance. Very intriguing!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
total the car and sell me the bbs's!

I kid, No but as someone suggested. Never base decisions on assumptions and estimations. Get all your cards layed out and then weigh your options per what makes sense to you with complete clarity on the matter!
Best of luck!

P.S. i had that happen once to my old Acura Legend and fortunately the person was morally calibrated enough to leave their info on my windshield!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy

The 4G TL uses 5x120 (edit: TLX does not). You could probably fetch a good price in the black market here.

This is good advice.

Also it helps if you know any good bodyshops to bring it to. Obviously, you want to get it fixed right, but the price difference between some shops can be quite astronomical as well.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
i would absolutely LOWBALL you in order to get you to sell an otherwise perfect RL, just some cosmetic issues to take care of.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks

I will see about getting it fixed.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratheruneeq
Wtf... ^ You can pay a deductible to have your front end repainted for front end debris wear and tear? I mean it makes absolute sense because otherwise youre paying for insurance only to one day see it put to use via an accident.
I never thought of this type of use on an insurance. Very intriguing!
Yup, it worked out just fine. I paid my $100 comprehensive deductible and that's it. Just make a claim and say that some of the rock chips recently happened. The guy at the body shop (attached to an Acura delaer) said one guy brought all 3 of his cars to him to get the front ends repainted. I figure after all these years of paying premiums, I need to get something back. I even got a rental car for 4 days, as my policy includes it.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (08-08-2015)