Dash Messages RL CMBS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Messages RL CMBS

Hey,

I'm still learning my way around the forum. But I've been reading several people on here are having identical or similar issues to what I am and were having. My car is 2011 Rl Cmbs(previously had a Cl 6 Manual). First, ever since about a month ago the car would blast warnings on the dash, CHECK TRANS, CHECK ACC, CMBS, AFS, and ARBGS. I dug through some treads and had ppl who have the same things, or similar things. These messages seem to be a coomon prob, but im not sure at the moment. Now ever since about a week ago, the car started to give the CHECK AFS message every time you turned the car on. The other messages stopped, so I take the car to the dealer they say they are going to replace the "stroke sensor". I'd had no idea what that was, but the tech told me it was a sensor on the rear suspension that auto levels the lights. Under warranty part is ordered and installed. Then I drive the car home, and bam the Check every system in the automobile comes on. The messages return! So I turn the car and drive it right back to the dealer, I show the tech. and he drives it into the bay to hook up the scanner. He comes out and tells me he cleared the cars systems, and the DTCs he found were random and everything seems to be functional; all this work at the dealer was done last thur. So he tells me to book an appointment, which was yesterday. Yesterday now, I pick the car up from the appointment and they tell me SAS or Steering Angle Sensor is bad. They say apparently their is a bulliten for similar messages caused by the SAS, so the part is on order, no charge thanks to the extended warrenty I have.

Now, ever since last Thursday, the first time I brought the car in and drove it back because of the tons of messages. The tech cleared the system, since then I hadn't ever got a message, which makes it 6 days. My question is, what is the SAS sensor and what does it do? And does anyone have a fix for the issue, my battery is brand new? Also when the messages come on the AFS blinks, the ACC and CMBS lights stay on and the D trans blinks green. What do these blinking lights and messages mean? Pls help, and any info. will be appreciated. Pls give me a rundown of what the different lights, especially Transmission D means, and what the messages mean?

Thanks,
Old 08-19-2015, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I am willing to bet your issue is a low battery and your dealer is wasting their time and your money. The RL is notorious for eating through batteries, and an even remotely low voltage (one that may "pass" a battery test) can cause a slew of errors. There is even a TSB from Acura to the dealers regarding error messages on the RL that instruct them to reset the voltage by connecting the cables and then applying them to a known good voltage source.

Change your battery and go from there.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
I am willing to bet your issue is a low battery and your dealer is wasting their time and your money. The RL is notorious for eating through batteries, and an even remotely low voltage (one that may "pass" a battery test) can cause a slew of errors. There is even a TSB from Acura to the dealers regarding error messages on the RL that instruct them to reset the voltage by connecting the cables and then applying them to a known good voltage source.

Change your battery and go from there.
Done. Since the DTCs were reset last week no messages. Battery is brand new + SAS sensor is on order. So we'll see. Is their a way I can see the battery TSB or no?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I don't remember if it was posted as text in a thread or linked. I can try to search tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Exactly the same problem with my 2011 RL Advanced.
Replaced battery and error continues.
Dealer replaced the stroke sensor and error continues.
Dealer is now following the TSB which clearly states that the SAS is causing these errors and must be replaced.
Dealer has the SAS on backorder.
Replacing the SAS is the next step.
Please post the results after your SAS replacement.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a CMBS Failure message a few months ago. Dealer hooked up his laptop and rebooted the system. No issues since.

LL