Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Dash Cam

I wanted to share this but been so busy. Still can't find how to insert video clip here so here is the link.

Few month ago, I got in a fender bender.
However, the other driver who made illegal right turn who fled the scene told cops & insurance company false information saying I took off on them after hitting them. She claimed to have witness saying they saw the whole thing and will testify against me.

What really happened was shown in video, I chased the B*TCH down and found out she had no license or registration. I did call 911 and they told me if no one was hurt, just exchange information.

Luckily, I had the dashcam to prove-it and forwarded to my insurance adjuster.
She told me that this video has made her day and will put end to all investigation, not to mention other party and witness will now face criminal charge for false testifying + leaving scene of accident.

Get your dash cams guys!!!
deductible alone could pay for this as well as insurance hike for many years!!!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a bi*ch! You are very lucky that you recorded everything on camera. I also liked the picture quality of your cam
Old 11-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Nice. Well done.

This is why I also have a dash cam as well. Too many idiots/liars in this world.

Also, I'm looking into getting rear cam as well to complete the package. But I'm too cheap to go for 1 of those high end dual-channel ones like you have installed. Maybe I'll get a better front cam (currently I have the G1W) and then move the G1W to the back window.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nist7
Nice. Well done.

This is why I also have a dash cam as well. Too many idiots/liars in this world.

Also, I'm looking into getting rear cam as well to complete the package. But I'm too cheap to go for 1 of those high end dual-channel ones like you have installed. Maybe I'll get a better front cam (currently I have the G1W) and then move the G1W to the back window.
They are not that expensive anymore.
For cost of 1 deductable + insurance hike, it will pay for itself!!!

If anyone in Boston area is interested, I can help! lol.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benzine
What a bi*ch! You are very lucky that you recorded everything on camera. I also liked the picture quality of your cam
quality is very important.
what's the purpose of camera if you can't recognize plate number or evidence???
This has at least saved me from 3 incident already.
living in the city with liars and idiots who doesn't know the rules/directions don't help either.

best thing with this is that it's so discrete, you can't tell unless you really look carefully.
sits right behind my rear view mirror.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
So awesome. Love seeing deceptive assholes get their just desserts. She deserves to get fucked by criminal charges...

Care to share which camera you got?

Edit: NVM read your youtube description

Blackvue DR650GW-2CH

Exactly the one I'm looking to get
Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Oh the good ole Mass Ave bridge.. LOL!

The lane you were in to turn is now blocked off by posts and is a designated bike lane (gay). Can't believe she really kept going as if nothing happened!

I'd be interested in getting a dash cam, but am in the process of trading my car in. So I'll be in touch with you soon.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
"What really happened was shown in video, I chased the B*TCH down and found out she had no license or registration. I did call 911 and they told me if no one was hurt, just exchange information."

You should've said it was a hit and run. That's a criminal offence and they would send a cop car to chase her down.

True story:

I have a dashcam and won a court case because of it. I rear ended a lady, my fault, but it wasn't even a fender bender. Didn't even crack the paint on my BMW's bumper. She sued claiming back injury and her car's rear-end was demolished.

During the discovery of facts she showed a photo of her car with the rear end completly demolished. My lawyer was stunned because she already saw the dashcam footage. So she turns around her laptop and presses play. Then she questioned:
- Why is your client's car demolished when my client's dashcam clearly shows no damage as her car pulls away?
- Why is your client claiming back injury when the dashcam footage clearly shows your client walking around her car after the collision?

I should clarify that after she got out of her car we pulled into a mini-mall to exchange papers. She then called her husband who told her to fake an injury. She then called 911 to report an injury and she faked a back injury getting into an ambulance. At the time I didn't mention to the cop that questioned me that I had a dashcam. Didn't want the cop to seize it! Much better to get the footage to my lawyer instead!

End result was the case was tossed out and her own insurance company is suing her for fraud so they get back the money they spent on their lawyers. I have no idea what happened after. My case is close and I've moved on.

Moral of the story: GET A DASHCAM! Just don't drive like an ass and self-incriminate yourself!
The following users liked this post:
iSeeYouTwo (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xc1097
They are not that expensive anymore.
For cost of 1 deductable + insurance hike, it will pay for itself!!!

If anyone in Boston area is interested, I can help! lol.
Less than that!

My deductile is $1000
My Dashcam was $150

It's a no-brainer!

The only issue I have is the wires. I just bought an RDX 2 weeks ago and want to install a dashcam. But it needs to be a clean install with no wires hanging. I'm going to have to go to a pro installer.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Advanced

quality is very important.
what's the purpose of camera if you can't recognize plate number or evidence???
On thing I do is say the licence plate number when something happens. My dashcam also records voice. So if I wear to be hit, like the OP's video, I'd chase her down and read out the plate number aloud. Then I'd call 911 while still recording.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
One thing my mother taught me about driving that I have always believed in was that you don't ever let anyone touch your car if you can avoid it.

Was she in the wrong? Yeah, but you were aggressive and you could have avoided that accident. She was clearly in front of you with her blinker on showing intention to turn. You speed up and let her hit you. Then you had to run her down, confront her, get insurance involved, dispute her claim, get your car fixed... because? Either you wanted to teach her a lesson or you weren't paying attention.

Good luck with your claim. Don't be surprised if you end up paying for part of it.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oo7spy
One thing my mother taught me about driving that I have always believed in was that you don't ever let anyone touch your car if you can avoid it.

Was she in the wrong? Yeah, but you were aggressive and you could have avoided that accident. She was clearly in front of you with her blinker on showing intention to turn. You speed up and let her hit you. Then you had to run her down, confront her, get insurance involved, dispute her claim, get your car fixed... because? Either you wanted to teach her a lesson or you weren't paying attention.

Good luck with your claim. Don't be surprised if you end up paying for part of it.
this case was already deemed 100% liability for other party.
trust me, if i knew she was going to hit me, i would've avoided.
I slowed to avoid contact but it was too late, otherwise i'd been in bigger accident with no good outcome.

was i driving aggressive? yes. did i knew she was going to make a turn? no as most people do not turn from middle lane which you aren't supposed to.

if i wanted to teach every retard on the road breaking rules, my car would be in pieces and would probably see more shop days then being on the road.
this is my 2nd claim since 2013, 1st claim being hail storm damage.
I do not like getting into accident whether my fault or not as it's more of annoyance as well as time consuming. on top of that, i get shitty rental car even with $60/day policy coverage which is not even close to RL
Old 11-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JACN
On thing I do is say the licence plate number when something happens. My dashcam also records voice. So if I wear to be hit, like the OP's video, I'd chase her down and read out the plate number aloud. Then I'd call 911 while still recording.
by default, i have voice off as record voice is illegal.
it's easy to turn voice on the dash cam in case i need to use it tho.

clear video/image is must especially when you leave your car parked on streets.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that I wasn't there. Your video just makes it seem avoidable. Glad you got full liability from her.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
Oh the good ole Mass Ave bridge.. LOL!

The lane you were in to turn is now blocked off by posts and is a designated bike lane (gay). Can't believe she really kept going as if nothing happened!

I'd be interested in getting a dash cam, but am in the process of trading my car in. So I'll be in touch with you soon.
so bike lane was middle lane in that video.
few weeks prior to that accident, a girl on bike got run over by 18-wheeler.
now they changed so the designate bike lane is on far right with poles dividing lanes.
i feel like this is more dangerous as bikers don't look for cars making right turn from middle lane now.
i bet in few weeks, city will change lanes again.
hit me up if you need to get dashcam installed. i've been doing as side job.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Less than that!

My deductile is $1000
My Dashcam was $150

It's a no-brainer!

The only issue I have is the wires. I just bought an RDX 2 weeks ago and want to install a dashcam. But it needs to be a clean install with no wires hanging. I'm going to have to go to a pro installer.
If you are in the area, i can help you as well.
done about 20+ of these so far.
most difficult part is installing with power magic plus which prevents battery from draining/dying.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Decided to watch it one more time since I couldn't watch it with enough attention to scrutinize it the first time. Go to 6-7 seconds. What do you see? Two cars turning, both with their blinkers on. What does the driver with the dash cam do? Speed up and get to the right of the second car.

You could've avoided that one easily or you weren't paying attention.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
so bike lane was middle lane in that video.
few weeks prior to that accident, a girl on bike got run over by 18-wheeler.
now they changed so the designate bike lane is on far right with poles dividing lanes.
i feel like this is more dangerous as bikers don't look for cars making right turn from middle lane now.
i bet in few weeks, city will change lanes again.
hit me up if you need to get dashcam installed. i've been doing as side job.
Do you have a link showing your dash cam setup/build?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Decided to watch it one more time since I couldn't watch it with enough attention to scrutinize it the first time. Go to 6-7 seconds. What do you see? Two cars turning, both with their blinkers on. What does the driver with the dash cam do? Speed up and get to the right of the second car.

Your defense is that if car #1 made illegal turn, it's right for car #2 to do the same?
Car #2 could've made wide turn to avoid me as well but decide to make sharp turn instead.
I really don't care on what others think at this point.
we can argue this on and on but it really makes no difference this point.
could accident have been avoided/prevented? maybe
- were you in the drivers seat with lighting condition? no
- does video shows same field of view/eye sight as driver does? no

What happened and matter is this.
- The B*TCH who hit my car and took off claimed to have witness lying.
- video evidence shows she's one who took off, who caused accident.

I get a insurance break for being a safe driver with no-fault accident & no ticket/moving violations.
I intend to keep it that way.

In state of MA, moving violation is +2 points, minor accident($2000) +4, DUI +5. Each point is 7% compound.
107%(1) 114.5%(2) 122.5%(3) 131%(4) 140%(5) 150%(6) 160.5%(7) 172%(8) 184%(9) 197%(10) etc.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Instructor

I do not have link showing setup/build.
I can take couple pix for you tomorrow on how it look from front/back & inside.
Wires are all hidden.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't have a defense because I'm not on the stand. I just said you could have avoided it. I can tell from the dash cam video that you shared that the way that you drive is aggressive, and I don't have much sympathy for people who put themselves in harmful situations.

Share your experience online, and expect to get feedback.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Instructor

I don't have a defense because I'm not on the stand. I just said you could have avoided it. I can tell from the dash cam video that you shared that the way that you drive is aggressive, and I don't have much sympathy for people who put themselves in harmful situations.

Share your experience online, and expect to get feedback.
as i said, point here is not how i was driving or not.
i wasn't asking for your sympathy either.
she blatantly lied on the accident and this clip saved my ass.

Witness vs. dashcam

I need to put flame suit on if I was asking people regarding how i was driving.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Or just grow a thicker skin, OP. Spy saw how it could have been avoided, gave you constructive criticism because you posted the video onto an online forum/ Internet. Like he said, you're going to get feedback from either perspective. Just take it as it is: feedback. If you think that's flaming, stay away from Ramblings.

Glad you're safe and dash cam helped of course, no one is discounting that at all.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Advanced

by default, i have voice off as record voice is illegal.
Must be a U.S. thing. In Canada, it's perfectly legal.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Advanced

And you would be wrong. The illegal right turn from the middle lane trumps OP speeding uo on the right lane. It doesn't matter if it seems wrong, the law is: YOU CAN'T TURN FROM THE MIDDLE LANE.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

What exactly would I be wrong about? That he could have avoided it?

Look, the OP was behind three cars on the bridge. As soon as the bridge ends, the first two cars want to turn right (looks like the third car does too). OP decides it would be a good idea to swerve over and floor it to get all the way up in front of the second car by using what is hard to tell is a lane. (It's a bike lane now. Wonder why.) Any reasonable, patient, good, defensive driver would have seen the people in front of them wanting to turn and wouldn't have rushed to get in front of them. Thus, the OP could have avoided it. Plain and simple.

The lady made a mistake (looks to be an honest mistake given the person in front of her), and she should have owned it. When she didn't, she made her second mistake.

Now, what would I be wrong about?

Last edited by oo7spy; 11-19-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Look, the OP was behind three cars on the bridge. As soon as the bridge ends, the first two cars want to turn right (looks like the third car does too). OP decides it would be a good idea to swerve over and floor it to get all the way up in front of the second car by using what is hard to tell is a lane. (It's a bike lane now. Wonder why.) Any reasonable, patient, good, defensive driver would have seen the people in front of them wanting to turn and wouldn't have rushed to get in front of them. Thus, the OP could have avoided it. Plain and simple.

The lady made a mistake (looks to be an honest mistake given the person in front of her), and she should have owned it. When she didn't, she made her second mistake.

look, there is no denying that i was driving aggressively.
but that doesn't give you reason to cut people off or make illegal turns.
i took the right lane as it's right turn lane which i intended to do and it's not my fault other drivers on the road do not know the road sign/rules.
if you see the road markings, where i moved to right lane was only break and after that is solid white line.

upon chasing her down, she claimed she had right away. wrong
i told her everything has been recorded and then she offered cash to settle. wrong again as it didn't sound right.
i asked for her license and registration and she said she doesn't have it. wrong #3. shouldn't be driving if you are not licensed.
i called police and explained situation and because there was no injured party, they didn't bother to come. she became disoriented the fact that i called police and start saying she's pregnant and her water broke when i don't see any water stain on her. she decides to take off on me. again! wrong #4
she tells insurance and police that she has witness & i took off on her after hitting her without giving any information. wrong #5

people really need to start paying attention to road markings and signs.

Last edited by xc1097; 11-19-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dash cams to the rescue once again. Glad to see you had one installed. Reminds me to get mine up and running. Love to see a build thread. Seems hard to hide the wires in my RL.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced

Doesn't matter if OP could have avoided it.

1 - Someone going in a straight line in his lane has priority. He's under no obligation to yield to someone making a lane change or a right hand turn.
2 - Making a right hand turn from a center lane, which isn't specifically marked for such purposes is simply illegal. Lady should've been charge with "illegal turn". And when that happens, you can bet any lawsuit regarding the colision would go in the OP's favour.

One reason I know all this is because it happened to a co-worker of mine. He was so pissed because he was being charged. He tried to sue the other driver and lost. It never even made it to court. Once his lawyer reviewed the case, he instructed him to drop the suit since it was unwinnable.

And as you've already read: OP won!

No matter what your personal feelings are regarding this, or what you may think is logical, like "he could've avoided it", the truth is the law is very specific about lanes changes and turns: It's up to the driver making the lane change or turn to make sure it's safe to do so. PERIOD!
Old 11-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
True story:

I have a dashcam and won a court case because of it. I rear ended a lady, my fault, but it wasn't even a fender bender. Didn't even crack the paint on my BMW's bumper. She sued claiming back injury and her car's rear-end was demolished.

During the discovery of facts she showed a photo of her car with the rear end completly demolished. My lawyer was stunned because she already saw the dashcam footage. So she turns around her laptop and presses play. Then she questioned:
- Why is your client's car demolished when my client's dashcam clearly shows no damage as her car pulls away?
- Why is your client claiming back injury when the dashcam footage clearly shows your client walking around her car after the collision?

I should clarify that after she got out of her car we pulled into a mini-mall to exchange papers. She then called her husband who told her to fake an injury. She then called 911 to report an injury and she faked a back injury getting into an ambulance. At the time I didn't mention to the cop that questioned me that I had a dashcam. Didn't want the cop to seize it! Much better to get the footage to my lawyer instead!

End result was the case was tossed out and her own insurance company is suing her for fraud so they get back the money they spent on their lawyers. I have no idea what happened after. My case is close and I've moved on.

Moral of the story: GET A DASHCAM! Just don't drive like an ass and self-incriminate yourself!

Another great story/why a dashcam is so crucial.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Advanced

If you are in the area, i can help you as well.
done about 20+ of these so far.
most difficult part is installing with power magic plus which prevents battery from draining/dying.
I'm not in your area. I've only been to Boston once, nice town BTW. If you have details on what I need to get, I can talk to a local installer who could do it for me because I'd make it awful looking. And that would be a "crime" in my brand new 2016 RDX.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
All this incidents makes me want to get a dashcam now...lol. Glad you had the evidence to resolve the frivolous claim she brought on you.

Everyone drive safe out there during this busy holiday season.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Instructor

not the best pictures.
just took quick snapshot off of parking spot at work.

not sure if you can see the cam.
only way to tell is blinking led.

rear cam is even more difficult if you have tint.

view thru rear view mirror

this is most visible wire of whole thing.

and this is other spot you see little bit of wire.

hope this helps!
oo7spy (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Instructor

I'm not in your area. I've only been to Boston once, nice town BTW. If you have details on what I need to get, I can talk to a local installer who could do it for me because I'd make it awful looking. And that would be a "crime" in my brand new 2016 RDX.
front cam wires are routed thru headliner -> driver side a-piller -> fuse box
rear cam wires are routed thru headliner -> passenger side a-piller top -> b-piller top -> c-piller -> rear headliner

you will have bit of challenge due to rear being hatch.
any pro-installer should be able to figure out where and how to run the wires.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

There are also dome lights right there that have dedicated 12V going to them. You don't have to go all the way to the fuse box.

upon chasing her down, she claimed she had right away. wrong
[...]

people really need to start paying attention to road markings and signs.
I never said she wasn't wrong. I also agree that people should pay attention to those things.
Doesn't matter if OP could have avoided it.
Did I ever say it did?
Old 11-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Instructor

There are also dome lights right there that have dedicated 12V going to them. You don't have to go all the way to the fuse box.
Normal setup is with cigar jack plug.
I run with power magic plus, which gives you option to run 24/7 or other timed/voltage options.
In order for that, i need access to battery(constant power), accessory(limited power), and ground.
default setting is 6hr shutoff with voltage cutoff at 12v.
can be changed to run 6/12/18/24/infinite and 11.8/12/12.2/12.4/24/etc.

not looking into hacking dome lights either.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

It wasn't a suggestion for you since you are already hooked up. It was a suggestion for people thinking of where to run wires.

You don't have to go to the battery to get constant power. There are always hot fuses, and some of those power the dome lights. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to turn them on with the car off.

Also, "hacking dome lights" is just tapping wires. It's not a complex thing to do.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Instructor

It wasn't a suggestion for you since you are already hooked up. It was a suggestion for people thinking of where to run wires.

You don't have to go to the battery to get constant power. There are always hot fuses, and some of those power the dome lights. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to turn them on with the car off.

Also, "hacking dome lights" is just tapping wires. It's not a complex thing to do.
still needs to have access to more than 1 power source as if you had your dashcam on full time, you'd kill your battery.

it's not complex job but is more complex than accessing fuse box.

biggest mistake people make is not checking power/wiring for proper setup.
i've seen people with dead batteries number of times due to incorrect setup and blamed on product/battery.

if you have no idea what you are doing, just use cig. lighter plug, not hardwire method
Old 11-30-2015, 06:16 AM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
What dash cam are you using? The quality looks decent
Old 11-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 6.
ChocBoyWonder (11-30-2015)

Quick Reply: Dash Cam