Considering KB2 2009 RL...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by robscharp05

Very nice RL! It looks absolutely beautiful, inside and out! Those are 18 inch wheels? Are the 18 inch wheels the same design as the 17 inch wheels? They look very similar to my 17" wheels. Also, are you sure it was a Tech Package RL? If they priced it higher for having the Tech Package, you may want to get a little money back. A HUGE number of the listings I have seen mis-list the Tech package. Most RL's (at least 2006's), are listed as Tech Package without it, and mine was listed as not having it but did actually have it. The base RL has so many tech features that I think most dealers and sellers just assume that they have the Tech package. From my understanding of it, in 2006 there were only 2 packages/configurations. The Tech Package had ACC/CMBS and the PAX wheels/tires (which were not a good thing to still have on your car). From the pictures, the front grill and steering wheel indicate a non-tech RL. The 2006 Tech RL has a plastic block on the front grill instead of the RL circular badge without the plastic block around it, and it also had an extra ACC button on the lower right steering wheel spoke and an extra CMBS button on the upper right side of the instrument cluster. Either way, an absolutely beautiful RL in spectacular condition! Infinitely better than the 2009 that we both checked out! Great job!
The following users liked this post:
Ratheruneeq (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Not many cars look so striking in so many colors like the RL does.... The celestial silver of course, that white has always been a neck breaker on the RL and the nighthawk black pearl.... Hell even the redondo red has shocked me on this car on a few occasions, its really just a testament to its timeless design which in some cases is reminiscent of the legends in terms of timelessness.

Congrats! You look young too, you got yourself a beauty, this car will teach you a lot if you let it. It's an effortless cruiser. Treat her right and she will return the favor tenfold.
cdroadwarrior (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Thank you! Haha, I read up on the Tech package thing, and its actually just a base but for some odd reason they listed it as Tech. Which yes would've been tech for 2007 (lol) but not for 06 considering you get real wood, AFS, and NAVI, on the 07 Tech package, but comes as std. on 05 and 06 models. Quite confusing, I don't know why they make it so confusing but they do. The car absolutely unbelievable! Just turned over 45k miles.
cdroadwarrior (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you! Haha, I read up on the Tech package thing, and its actually just a base but for some odd reason they listed it as Tech. Which yes would've been tech for 2007 (lol) but not for 06 considering you get real wood, AFS, and NAVI, on the 07 Tech package, but comes as std. on 05 and 06 models. Quite confusing, I don't know why they make it so confusing but they do. The car absolutely unbelievable! Just turned over 45k miles.
They do make it very confusing! The first year (05) there were not really any options, 2006 there were two options, and then it grew after that! For 06 and later, the PAX system was a curse and fortunately my car had it removed/recalibrated by the previous owner...dumb luck on my part!....the PAX system led to lawsuits and $800/per tire prices if you could find them. The ACC/CMBS is a great system, but it is also a mixed blessing (from my personal experience)...any parts that are specific to that system are like finding a needle in a haystack...or extremely expensive because you can't find them used nearly as easily as the non-Tech.

As I learned more about these RL's and looked online more (after buying mine, which happened to be a Tech), I saw that 75% or more seemed to be listed as "tech" (because the base has so much standard!), and then probably 75% of the Tech's were not identified as Tech's....you really have to know the minor details to know the difference, and the definitions of this are relative to the years as you so aptly pointed out!

Your RL is absolutely spectacular! Again, congrats! You got a flagship/tank/amazing car in almost-new condition for the cost of a maxed-out-Civic...couldn't ask for more than that!
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by cdroadwarrior

As I learned more about these RL's and looked online more (after buying mine, which happened to be a Tech), I saw that 75% or more seemed to be listed as "tech" (because the base has so much standard!), and then probably 75% of the Tech's were not identified as Tech's....you really have to know the minor details to know the difference, and the definitions of this are relative to the years as you so aptly pointed out!
I remember noticing the same thing, most Tech RL's aren't even listed as such!!
Old 01-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 08 has 186,000 miles. I've done one timing belt, 2 sets of tires, 1 set of rotors/pads, one tranny flush, one windshield, 2 wipers,and a million oil changes/ air filter changes. I also pay to have the headlight covers buffed once a year.

It still runs great and I regularly get 27-30 mpg on the highway. These cars really are incredible and I did a ton of research before I bought. If anyone is looking, I saw a few good mileage ones on the Denver CL.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
By the way it is a 2006 w/ Tech package in premium white pearl, and parchment interior. Came with the optional 18in chrome wheels, and badge deletion. Purchased it at Mungenast Acura of St.Louis for $17,350.
Congrats! What is the mileage on the car?
Old 01-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rl015
Congrats! What is the mileage on the car?
Bought it at 44,8xx, now has 45,080 on it. It is like getting into a brand new car every time I open the door.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Bought it at 44,8xx, now has 45,080 on it. It is like getting into a brand new car every time I open the door.
Very nice... this car is really hard not to love... may not be perfect, but heck, they got really close to perfection
By looking around what I am able to find, do you think the price was bit high for year/mileage... was there any other choices in your area?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
FYI, if it was a tech package, it would have a CMBS shield logo on the grill. It would also have a CMBS button to the left of the tach, right above the AFS button.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Very nice... this car is really hard not to love... may not be perfect, but heck, they got really close to perfection
By looking around what I am able to find, do you think the price was bit high for year/mileage... was there any other choices in your area?
I think it was a little high, but there was only three second gen RL's for sale in all of the St.Louis area. I compared to the Chicago area and there was only a few thousand in difference. I was willing to pay the extra price, they flushed all the fluids and gave it a nice detail before I picked it up not to mention the dealer gave me a very enjoyable experience.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

I think it was a little high, but there was only three second gen RL's for sale in all of the St.Louis area. I compared to the Chicago area and there was only a few thousand in difference. I was willing to pay the extra price, they flushed all the fluids and gave it a nice detail before I picked it up not to mention the dealer gave me a very enjoyable experience.
I hear you... limited selection in the region plays definitely a big role, because there is "what if" .... you come to Chicago, possibly not like it, what then... Make sure to take care of it, and she will take care of you!
My suggestion would be to get suspension checked, engine mounts and front steering rack eith tie rods (both inner and outer) somewhere around 70-80k miles...
My 06 had known recall issue where PS fluid was slowly leaking, and this ruined steering rack on the longer run. Suspension definitely can ruin tires, push engine mounts more, so these may come your way in the next few years... but with 40k, you are set good for at lease 3-4 years
Old 02-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Advanced

I hear you... limited selection in the region plays definitely a big role, because there is "what if" .... you come to Chicago, possibly not like it, what then... Make sure to take care of it, and she will take care of you!
My suggestion would be to get suspension checked, engine mounts and front steering rack eith tie rods (both inner and outer) somewhere around 70-80k miles...
My 06 had known recall issue where PS fluid was slowly leaking, and this ruined steering rack on the longer run. Suspension definitely can ruin tires, push engine mounts more, so these may come your way in the next few years... but with 40k, you are set good for at lease 3-4 years
Planning to get a 160 point inspection soon. Would that be covered under the inspection??
Old 02-07-2017, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

go to search engine (google) and search for Acura 150-point inspection. First link will be PDF listing what is included in it.