Considering KB2 2009 RL...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile Considering KB2 2009 RL...what do you think?

I am considering buying a 2009 RL I found with 200k miles. Great CarFax history, basically one owner (briefly a fleet vehicle at the beginning), no accidents, regular maintenance (about 90% at Acura dealership), regular oil changes, brake fluid and transmission changes, non-smoker vehicle, and almost clockwork dealer maintenance. Found out that owner got oil change the day before trading it in (called the Acura dealership from CarFax), and turned down doing timing belt at dealership (I imagine he decided to trade it in and get something else rather than doing another timing belt change). Therefore, that would be the first thing I did after buying it! Tires have probably 30% left. Clean interior and exterior, good color combination, manuals, floor mats, OEM wheels with some curb rash, and thats about all I know. I have gone through the CarFax in detail and see no red flags. Given they averaged 28,000 miles per year and regular maintenance, I imagine (and hope) that the car has primarily highway mileage and is in good shape. I will take it to my local trusted mechanic for an inspection (the car is not local so I can't do this beforehand) and had assurance that I can return it if anything unexpected shows up, so they are confident in its condition and I can see why from the service history.

I know these 2009 (and 10, 11, 12) RL's are super rare, as I think only about 2000 of these KB2's were sold in the US in 2009. Are there any particular issues or concerns with these to keep an eye out for in 2009? Anything likely to be needing replacement at 200k miles (I know at this mileage its hard to guess, but didn't know if there was something that could be predicted). I know its fundamentally the same as KB1, but it was a significant mid-model change. It seems like it is just incremental improvements (except for the slightly larger engine, changed exterior and refreshed interior, variable exhaust valve timing, etc...) and this would be a pretty darn sorted car from everything I know about it (5th year of the 2nd gen RL).

What would be a good price for this given what I know (regular maintenance, needs timing belt, tires at 30%, etc...)? It seems like too good of an opportunity to pass up on, even with the high miles...my current RL was a great deal because everybody was afraid of it at 150k miles, but it has been a great car.

Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
All of the maintenance records do help, it would give me more peace of mind. Check to see if you can find any recent records on big maintenance and repair items like motor/trans mounts, radiator/cooling system, cooling fans, control arm/ suspension parts, axels, bearings, and rack and pinion/steering parts. Definitely get the timing belt done asap if you decide to buy it.
​​​​​
They are solid cars, especially since by 2009 Honda/Acura had most if not all of the RLs gremlins ironed out. But 200k miles is still a lot and will need a lot maintenance if it hasn't already been done.

I would say $6-$7,000 is a fair price, if there are no major issues. Personally I wouldn't buy it unless I could get if for $5,000, but I would consider that a steal. Even though you may need to give it a lot of attention, once you replace those items they should last another 100k + miles.

Also keep in mind you are always taking a gamble with used cars. Even if everything has been replaced, you can still have major issues sooner than expected. Especially at 200k. With that said I'm at 215k on my 06 and I am hoping to hit 300k.

Last edited by RL_Coastin; 12-25-2016 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cdroadwarrior (12-25-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Red face

Originally Posted by RL_Coastin
All of the maintenance records do help, it would give me more peace of mind. Check to see if you can find any recent records on big maintenance and repair items like motor/trans mounts, radiator/cooling system, cooling fans, control arm/ suspension parts, axels, bearings, and rack and pinion/steering parts. Definitely get the timing belt done asap if you decide to buy it.
​​​​​
They are solid cars, especially since by 2009 Honda/Acura had most if not all of the RLs gremlins ironed out. But 200k miles is still a lot and will need a lot maintenance if it hasn't already been done.

I would say $6-$7,000 is a fair price, if there are no major issues. Personally I wouldn't buy it unless I could get if for $5,000, but I would consider that a steal. Even though you may need to give it a lot of attention, once you replace those items they should last another 100k + miles.

Also keep in mind you are always taking a gamble with used cars. Even if everything has been replaced, you can still have major issues sooner than expected. Especially at 200k. With that said I'm at 215k on my 06 and I am hoping to hit 300k.
Great! Thank you! I have tentatively talked the owner down to $5800 and it took a lot to get there....I can't get them any lower. I am going to try to get more info from the dealership, but it will take some work. Except for the timing belt at the very end, the CarFax says a lot of "recommended maintenance completed", so I don't have the detail, but everything seems to point to the owner doing whatever the dealership recommended, so I am hoping and assume there is nothing major "hanging out there". I will get a much better sense when I see it, inspect it, and drive it. Also, I plan to have my local and highly trusted Japanese-specific independent mechanic do a detailed inspection...if anything severe shows up, I will return it unless it is worth it to fix it right away.

I definitely appreciate and agree with your thoughts on this, and go into the risk of the high miles with open eyes. But for $.10 on the dollar and dealer maintenance from one owner until now, its about as good as I could get for that price and miles, especially for such a rare one. Given that $5800 is the "floor", do you think that would still be a good deal? I think its been a hard sell with so many miles, just like my 2006 RL...which turned out to be an extremely solid and well maintained car with 150k. Given that most of the 2009 RL's with a lot lower miles are selling for $10k to $15k, I could basically buy salvage transmission, engine, and differential from Ebay and have them installed and still be in good shape (even in a catastrophic work case scenario). I can get an engine for $2k, transmission for $1K, and rear differential for $500 (all for 09 to 12 RL's on Ebay as of today). Just doing some worst case planning! Recently I haven't been putting a lot of miles on my 06 RL, so its not a commuter car for me and I could toy with it. If it is in rougher shape when I drive it and inspect it, I will walk away.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Instructor

I think you have the right mind set about the car. Even at worst case scenario, replacing the drivetrain will get you another 200k + out of the car. As long as you plan on keeping it, its worth the cost. And who knows, hopefully it hits 300k with no major issues. I think $5,800 is a good deal, make sure you get something in writing that says they are willing to fix the car or take it back if anything goes wrong with it.

I like the 09 facelift, plus you get a bit more HP. Id like to hear some more opinions, curious to hear what others think.
cdroadwarrior (12-25-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Surely the Acura dealer would print out the service history for you. They did for me when I purchased my 2011. I agree with a previous response, concentrate more on suspension/steering components and motor mounts. They are costly repairs, and with that mileage some are likely to need attention soon if not recently replaced. Mine had the torque converter replaced at 78000 miles and that is one of the few known weak areas. The engine won't give you trouble and trans/differential should be good if they had fresh fluid changes pretty regularly. I'm at 132000 with just maintenance, but I'm holding money aside for shocks and lower control arms for when they need it. I think it's a good price if it checks out well, make sure they isn't any shudder shifting gears and so on. Despite the miles it's only going on 8 years old so if it was taken car of like I think it could be a legit sale.
cdroadwarrior (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by grappler171
Surely the Acura dealer would print out the service history for you. They did for me when I purchased my 2011. I agree with a previous response, concentrate more on suspension/steering components and motor mounts. They are costly repairs, and with that mileage some are likely to need attention soon if not recently replaced. Mine had the torque converter replaced at 78000 miles and that is one of the few known weak areas. The engine won't give you trouble and trans/differential should be good if they had fresh fluid changes pretty regularly. I'm at 132000 with just maintenance, but I'm holding money aside for shocks and lower control arms for when they need it. I think it's a good price if it checks out well, make sure they isn't any shudder shifting gears and so on. Despite the miles it's only going on 8 years old so if it was taken car of like I think it could be a legit sale.
Thanks again! I was able to call and get a lot more info from the dealership that serviced the car during 95% of its life. Extremely regular oil changes, differential and transmission fluid changes, brake services, cabin air filter changes, coolant, etc. From everything I have seen and heard, everything that was recommended to be done by the dealership was done without exception, except for the timing belt before it was traded in at a different dealership. A few of the more "notable" items are as follows (different from the basic services done regularly):

1) In 2014, a VSA light came on and the Steering Angle Sensor was replaced and initialized the sensor...problem went away.
2) in 2014, the pillar had some water leaking and the windshield moulding was fixed in the body shop
3) In 2012 a software update was done
4) In 2016 the airbag recall was done.

...other than that, it is all extremely regular fluid, brake, filter and alignments.
There was a little additional work done at a few other places that shows up on the CarFax...going to see what I can find out.

There is no indication yet that engine mount or suspension has been worked on, but I will try and track that down.

Given the mileage, is this cause for concern that it hasn't been done, or is a 2009 RL without this being done basically mean it will need to be done? I know it depends, but I didn't know if this was by itself a red flag. Do the engine mounts have a generally defined lifespan in these RL's, or is it just increasing risk as time goes on? How long do the shocks tend to last? I know in BMW's and some of the german cars the rubber pieces in the suspension degrade pretty linearly and can be pretty expensive. My 2006 RL with 165k miles (I believe) still has the original shocks and engine mounts and it drives perfectly fine.

Most of the other 2009's are significantly more ($9k to $15K), but I know it is a risk, but the price this is at seems to make the risk potentially worth it (especially given the rarity of these cars). I really like the color combination as well...it is the Silver Jade Metallic color (exterior) and black interior.

Are there any "tricks of the trade" for me to evaluate the engine mounts/steering/suspension when checking out the car and driving it? I have kind of a quick turnaround with it (its 4 hours away).

Again, thanks for all of your help!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Advanced

I called the dealership to have their tech look at the engine mounts/suspension/shocks, etc. Its not ideal to have them look at it (conflicting incentives), but they have been very honest thus far and they have a good reputation overall. Will see what they say. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by cdroadwarrior
I called the dealership to have their tech look at the engine mounts/suspension/shocks, etc. Its not ideal to have them look at it (conflicting incentives), but they have been very honest thus far and they have a good reputation overall. Will see what they say. Thanks!
Their master tech inspected the engine mounts, shocks, suspension, and drove the car again to confirm that everything that was suggested was evaluated. Again, I realize that it is the "fox guarding the hen house", but it is more than nothing. I will look in detail when I get there and will walk away if anything doesn't seem right.

Thanks again to everybody! Any further insight/suggestions are very much appreciated. From the service records, the previous owner was more diligent than I am about brake/trans/differential fluid changes!

Given the VSA/ABS modulator that I replaced thanks to to this group that cost $165 instead of $2500 + 2 hours labor at the dealer (thus saving almost half the cost of this 2009 RL), this RL almost seems worth $5800 in parts and as a 2nd vehicle to tinker with (assuming it is in the condition I hope and believe it is in). The next closest 2009 that I found was about $10,000 and it had 135k miles, but had a salvage title due to hitting a deer. Now I am just rambling:-)

Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Being a Michigan car, two areas of concern would be rust (the RL's seem to be corrosion resistant) and steering/ suspension. I lived in metro detroit for 10 years and my General Motors company car's usually had some pre-mature suspension and steering issues after 50k miles. I had a 2006 RL that I purchased with 4k miles and drove to 173k in metro DC. I think the current owner whom I know has just under 250k on it. The car still looks almost new inside and out. That car I had the propellar shaft replaced at 90k under CPO warranty. I did have a lower control arm replaced along the way. Never used any oil. An almost perect car. My 2012 RL I purchased 2 years ago at 25k miles. I now have 83k on it. Zero issues. Acura dealer changes the oil every 5k, regular transmission and differential fluid changes. No oil consumption. Just drove it down to Florida from metro DC. By comparison my mom has a 2015 S550, my dad a 2014 CLS550. Those Mercs have a lot more swagger, but I much prefer driving the RL and the RL is a much less complicated car to drive. The RL is also more reliable than their Mercs. IMO the 2005-2012 RL's are among the most reliable near luxury sedans and also very satisfying cars to own. Personally I think $5800 is a good price. What color?

Last edited by CadiGTi; 12-27-2016 at 09:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CadiGTi:
cdroadwarrior (12-29-2016), Ratheruneeq (01-30-2017)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Thanks! Very helpful! The exterior is Silver Jade Metallic (medium grey) and Ebony interior. I absolutely love the color combination. The car is just outside of Chicago. Very encouraging info! I think the mileage has kept it on their lot longer than they wanted and they are ready to move it. They sell a lot of high end cars so this isn't their core type of care. It's was originally $6900 and I talked then down to $5800...couldn't go any lower. With exception of timing belt, as far as I can tell a diligently dealer maintained car. From every source I could find $5800 is trade in value of car in average condition. With 2009 and later being so rare, it's hard to pass on. $5k value reduction due to mileage. Could replace engine and trans from salvage yard for less than that. 18" wheels look good with a little curb rash...but straight. Tires were Perelli that cost about $185 each on tire rack....so it seems previous owner didn't go cheap.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
If it turns out to be a good car and you really want to dress it up, Ron Jon makes some great looking wheels for the RL. If not, try and find a good wheel repair guy that can repair the curb rash. My 2012 had curb rash wheels from original lessee. The dealer had a local guy touch them up twice. They kept peeling so finally the dealer sent the wheels out for stripping and powder coating in original OEM finish. They came back perfect but I believe it cost the dealer $200 a wheel plus downtime which I think was over a week or 10 days. Nice color combo on the RL you are looking at!
The following 2 users liked this post by CadiGTi:
cdroadwarrior (12-29-2016), Ratheruneeq (01-30-2017)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
The shocks would most likely benefit from being replaced. They may not be blown, but they aren't what they are designed to be after 100k miles. I think shocks should be considered maintenance items on the same interval as the timing belt.
cdroadwarrior (12-29-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say pull the trigger on that 2009 RL. You will hate yourself if you don't get it. Get it and take your time bringing it back 100%.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Advanced

I live near Chicago so if u don't get it I will find it soon. Just saying.😬
Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Advanced

I live near Chicago so if u don't get it I will find it soon. Just saying.😬
Just got back from checking it out...a complete waste of a day! If you want to check it out or get it, here is the link and give me a call and I can give you a LOT of info: 2009 Acura RL Base Sedan 4-Door | eBay

Upon walking up to the car, saw it wasn't in nearly as good of condition as the exterior looked in the pictures. Then, I did a quick walk around of the car and quickly saw that there was a bulge/blister on the right rear tire. From what I know of tires, this is a big risk for a blowout/tire failure...not a good sign!

There was a VSA-112 error in the multi-purpose display. Then I pulled the following codes: 83-1 and 61-1. I just got done fighting the VSA/ABS problem with my 2006, and know how expensive it is, so this was a big red flag!

The trunk proximity and manual release when the car is unlocked didn't work...they tried to minimize this, but I even had spare batteries for the remote.

....and it keeps getting better!

I went through the paperwork in the glovebox and found an insurance claim document for the car being t-boned...it cost about $2500 to repair. Not severe, but not a clean CarFax or accident free as listed!

Also, it is listed as all services completed...except no timing belt, an outstanding VSA/ABS issue, etc...

And I was hearing a squealing/squeaking coming from the A/C.

Also, I noticed that when starting the car there was a lot more "jumping" and movement than in my 2006....I suspect this is the engine mounts I was warned about (and asked them to check out beforehand per this group). Again, this was minimized as well.

These issues were all either minimized or negated...very disconcerting.

Lots of high pressure sales tactics such as other customer's have offer's "in the works"...but the car has been sitting on the lot for 2 months.

Overall, I gained a HUGE appreciation for how good of shape my 2006 is and how much of a gem it is! This car wasn't a "disaster", but it is definitely a project that felt very "worn" in a lot of ways and had a lot of uncertainty.

If anybody else is less "gun shy" about this situation than I am, please feel free to let me know and I can give you more info on the car to help...especially anybody near Chicago. Just let me know.

Thanks to the group for so much good advice! Unfortunately, it was negated by a very misrepresented car.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Forgot to mention, as they drove me to the train station to head home, two separate VSA errors popped up actively (they said that their $15k scanner didn't find anything that my $150 scanner did and that nothing was active and that there were no codes....right....). The codes actively popping up doesn't support that! I think they just deleted the codes and something is actually going on. It may just be a wheel speed sensor, but yet another sign this car wasn't maintained like the records suggest.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
You definitely did your due diligence as a customer.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Sorry to say Im not surprised esp with that kind of mileage, its a car in search of its last owner. But you know the old saying; how do you know when a dealer is lying....their lips are moving!

Good luck in your search you now have a ton of good info if you decide to pursue another one
Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 AM
Advanced

I'm sorry to hear it's not as great as it seemed. I'm willing to bet they bought it auction and paid more than they should have. I think it was traded in at an Acura dealer and they sent it to auction because it wasn't worth them putting the money into it. I thought this was at an Acura dealer so I'm sure it didn't pass their standards for resale. If I knew it was at Jidd Motors I wouldn't have told you don't go, but I would have let you know to be more skeptical. I'm glad you passed on it. $5800 isn't low enough with unknown vsa issues and possible motor mount breakage. I may go see it just for yucks but I doubt it lol. What was wrong with exterior and interior?

Last edited by grappler171; 12-29-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added to text
Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased a 2009 Tuscan beige metallic tech RL with CMBS with 75k miles first thing it needed was a torque converter that the dealer covered under extended warranty and now it's leaking oil through the oil pressure pump getting covered under warranty but this thing needed a lot of work New tie rod ends leaking power steering line and the dealer just did my timing belt tensioner and idle pulley 1100 dollars on that my warranty is running out and I'm scared that it will mess up and I'll have to pay a huge chunk to fix. Have any of you guys had similar issues
Old 12-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Cool

I'm sorry to hear it's not as great as it seemed. I'm willing to bet they bought it auction and paid more than they should have. I think it was traded in at an Acura dealer and they sent it to auction because it wasn't worth them putting the money into it. I thought this was at an Acura dealer so I'm sure it didn't pass their standards for resale. If I knew it was at Jidd Motors I wouldn't have told you don't go, but I would have let you know to be more skeptical. I'm glad you passed on it. $5800 isn't low enough with unknown vsa issues and possible motor mount breakage. I may go see it just for yucks but I doubt it lol. What was wrong with exterior and interior?
Very reassuring and helpful! The CarFax shows it was transferred to JIDD motors the day after the last service when the owner declined to do the timing belt, so I assumed he just traded in elsewhere rather than take a hit on not doing the timing belt and trading in at a dealership where they knew this.

The issues that I saw with the exterior were as follows: curb rash more than expected on wheels, a dent on the right side roof and another on the upper side of the roof, a scrape in the plastic molding on the right hand side, a scrape on the rear view mirror, a crack in the grill chrome "smile", one of the two exhaust pipes is bent in slightly, the plastic on the rear trunk seemed to have a little space above the latch (I am wondering if this allowed water to get in and is causing the latch/proximity issues), a few quarter/nickel sized chunks of paint missing on the hood, and the blister/bulge on the right rear tire (must have been a huge pothole or some impact to separate the sidewall). Thats what I can recall...I am sure there was more.

Onto the interior: Overall pretty decent. The power steering wheel, sunroof, and rear sunshade all seemed to be a little slow (and the rear sunshade "caught" the first time). With more use, they seemed to "free up" a lot. A few nicks and scrapes on the leather, but pretty good. Non-smoker vehicle. All window switches worked. Passenger side front map pocket doesn't stay shut.

The A/C seemed to work and I checked it for pressure, which seemed good. Compressor was squeaking a little bit, which they said was a cover. My guess is they just sprayed something on it to make it go away temporarily.

Trunk only opened from indoor switch, and about 50% of the time with the key. The rear latch never worked, either with proximity or with the car being unlocked.

The car was T-boned (maybe in a parking lot?) and couldn't have been too severe...$2500, but NOT on the carfax...in the glovebox:-)

Windshield looked good. Headlights and foglight looked good. Engine seemed a little noisier than my 2006....slight ticking or something...maybe valves...hard to tell. Steering and brakes seemed fine, and suspension felt good. Engine seemed OK, but from what I read, it was supposed to be a little quicker and faster than my 2006...actually seemed slower.

If you or anybody wants to pursue it, please get in touch with me as I have a LOT more service history and other info that I collected, and could give you more info on it. Only request is that if you do buy it and get a great deal on it and it turns out to be a great car, don't tell me
Old 12-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Sorry to say Im not surprised esp with that kind of mileage, its a car in search of its last owner. But you know the old saying; how do you know when a dealer is lying....their lips are moving!

Good luck in your search you now have a ton of good info if you decide to pursue another one
Agreed! If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is! I saw they were playing a lot of games there, especially (multiple times) saying that they had other people ready to purchase the car. They even did that when I walked away...said that somebody else was ready to buy it for $6500, so I wondered why they came down $300 more for me with somebody else ready? Then today I got a message that they would still honor the $5500...it keeps getting sketchier and sketchier!

My current RL was completely different. It was another high mileage car that was sitting for months with nobody appreciating it. It had CMBS, had barely been cleaned, and it had the AFS error. When I drove it, it was clear it was well taken care of, including the service records. I bought it on a Saturday (I was flying out of town for work the next day), and then had my local trusted mechanic look at it when I got home. He did the timing belt and a post-purchase inspection. Said "this car has obviously been cared for". Other than the VSA/ABS modulator issue and AFS, it has been rock-solid reliable. The only positives out of this experience is the great discussion with this group (as usual!) and appreciating my 06 RL so much more!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MSW 6SP
You definitely did your due diligence as a customer.
Thanks! I tried my best...I don't think they were expecting somebody like me at all. After the quick test drive they wanted me to just sign the paperwork and be on my way.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I believe the RL will be the last example of a Honda tank. It is a solid car and considering it was the vehicle launching SHAWD, it was pretty bullet proof. In many ways I miss my RL. The smoothness of the engine, the noticeable VTECH thrust and a reliable (if not luxo slow) tranny. I view the RL as the pinnacle of the traditional car engineering. And the SHAWD TL a close second (even better with the manual). Now you won't find many examples of premium sedans that are loaded up with driver aide nannies, start - stop tech (and irritation), VCM (you CAN feel it engage / disengage), electric steering and various other safety / efficiency tricks that can detract from a smooth engine, chassis, and a weighted vehicle. Moving to my Sport Hybrid has no regrets, but it was a change in what I expect a car to do.When I shopped a replacement for my RL (a long struggle) - I found that very few premium sedans were still 'old school'. You want a powerful V6 or V8 without start / stop or VCM, you may find you looking at Genesis (criticized for NOT having the leading edge tech - in the engine anyway). And if you like Honda double wishbone suspension - the RL (and RLX) are the last Honda product to offer this. McPherson struts are now the norm.

The RL is a noble car and it's smoothness and refinement was much overlooked in the market. I never gre tired of the RL and there is part of me that wished I had kept mine as a second ride. I equate the RL as a fine precision mechanical watch and the new rides more an Apple Watch. The new cars may do a lot more, but for pure driving the RL is a car that satisfies in comfort and excitement in the twisties. (for it's class / type vehicle). If you have one in good shape, repair it, replace the cosmetic parts that wear and run it till the cows come home.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 12-29-2016 at 02:16 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
cdroadwarrior (12-29-2016), MSW 6SP (12-29-2016), oo7spy (12-29-2016), projektvertx (12-29-2016), Ratheruneeq (01-30-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
If you have one in good shape, repair it, replace the cosmetic parts that wear and run it till the cows come home.
That hits home for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by MSW 6SP:
cdroadwarrior (12-29-2016), oo7spy (12-29-2016), projektvertx (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Very Well written.

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
I believe the RL will be the last example of a Honda tank. It is a solid car and considering it was the vehicle launching SHAWD, it was pretty bullet proof. In many ways I miss my RL. The smoothness of the engine, the noticeable VTECH thrust and a reliable (if not luxo slow) tranny. I view the RL as the pinnacle of the traditional car engineering. And the SHAWD TL a close second (even better with the manual). Now you won't find many examples of premium sedans that are loaded up with driver aide nannies, start - stop tech (and irritation), VCM (you CAN feel it engage / disengage), electric steering and various other safety / efficiency tricks that can detract from a smooth engine, chassis, and a weighted vehicle. Moving to my Sport Hybrid has no regrets, but it was a change in what I expect a car to do.When I shopped a replacement for my RL (a long struggle) - I found that very few premium sedans were still 'old school'. You want a powerful V6 or V8 without start / stop or VCM, you may find you looking at Genesis (criticized for NOT having the leading edge tech - in the engine anyway). And if you like Honda double wishbone suspension - the RL (and RLX) are the last Honda product to offer this. McPherson struts are now the norm.

The RL is a noble car and it's smoothness and refinement was much overlooked in the market. I never gre tired of the RL and there is part of me that wished I had kept mine as a second ride. I equate the RL as a fine precision mechanical watch and the new rides more an Apple Watch. The new cars may do a lot more, but for pure driving the RL is a car that satisfies in comfort and excitement in the twisties. (for it's class / type vehicle). If you have one in good shape, repair it, replace the cosmetic parts that wear and run it till the cows come home.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3.2cls6speedmt:
cdroadwarrior (12-29-2016), Ratheruneeq (01-30-2017), TampaRLX-SH (12-31-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Damn I was really hoping you would get a solid deal on this car. I am glad you didn't get screwed, atleast it was a great learning experience. Hopefully whoever buys it does their homework and gets a smoking deal on it. Sounds more like a $4000 car with all the issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by RL_Coastin:
cdroadwarrior (01-01-2017), projektvertx (12-30-2016)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Agreed! My first RL was a local buy, and even without a pre-purchase inspection (due to flying out for travel the next day), it seemed too solid to pass up...it was just a solid 2006 RL, with ACC/CMBS nonetheless! Post-purchase inspection verified the car was solid and had been "obviously taken care of" by my trusted Japanese care specific independent mechanic. I was probably emboldened by what the dealer said and the independent research and records I found on it. Seeing the car in person, it wasn't an obviously taken care of car...quite the opposite. In addition to the T-bone accident, I think it had been hit in the rear and/or side in more minor ways, due to a bent exhaust and other cosmetic issues, not to mention the blister on the passenger rear tire, trunk unlock problem, VSA codes, A/C compressor squeak, engine mount issues at startup (thanks to the heads-up from this group!) etc. Looking at it afterwards, it is pretty clear there was a lot of photoshop work done on the listing picture. There were several paint chips and other things that I confirmed in person that are not seen in the listing pictures...somebody did some "makeup" to the pictures to minimize the blemishes. I don't think I would ever buy anything that wasn't local or require a full day of travel to look at. I am just glad I went with my instincts!

I have even more appreciation of my 2006 RL...it seems so sorted and well maintained compared to the 2009!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Ahh. Yes. I found this exact one on Autotrader. Only living 80 or so miles away from the suburbs, I thought how bad could this be. So i drove up and checked it out, once again still there, pictures are such a lie! It needs almost a complete overhaul in my opinion. For my expectations the amount of work to make it flawless would be as much as just getting a 2009 with 20-40k miles.
cdroadwarrior (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by robscharp05
Ahh. Yes. I found this exact one on Autotrader. Only living 80 or so miles away from the suburbs, I thought how bad could this be. So i drove up and checked it out, once again still there, pictures are such a lie! It needs almost a complete overhaul in my opinion. For my expectations the amount of work to make it flawless would be as much as just getting a 2009 with 20-40k miles.
That is so reassuring that you thought the same thing and that I wasn't crazy! They were going to give it to me for $5500 after I identified the blister on the tire and the accident history (as well as the timing belt not being done...which I confirmed with the original dealer...but they reassured me that it was done), and I still had a few second thoughts when I walked away from it...so glad you thought the same thing! When did you look at it? From the listing, I really thought it was a very well maintained car from everything they said and from the pictures. Very different in person, wasn't it? Looking back at the pictures, there is clear photo-shopping. What did you notice about the car? The way the car rocked at startup felt like the engine mounts were shot, lots of cosmetic issues, extensive curb rash on wheels, trunk didn't work right, blister on tire, VSA error, squeaking A/C, and a collision repair invoice in the glove box that I am sure has "disappeared" now (despite being listed as a clean carfax). I "kind of" get the impression they didn't inspect the car at all. It just felt very "worn out"!

From the description and pre-research, it looked solid mechanically and cosmetically, and needed a timing belt. Thought it had solid maintenance history except for the timing belt. Expected just a timing belt and to have a solid 2009 RL...not what we found when looking at it, was it!

Overall, it was a very sketchy situation...I feel concern for whoever buys it, especially if they don't know much about cars. The dealer was very dismissive of the sidewall blister, VSA, accident history, and timing belt needing to be done....all of which could lead to an accident or a real expensive series of repairs.

Last edited by cdroadwarrior; 01-23-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Saturday, January 21. I totally agree, nothing about this car felt safe. I felt like it would just break down at the stop light. Starting from the when i got in the Engine made a weird noise on startup. Many of the small features did not work, the blister in the tire, as well as the door sensors for the proximity key on the passenger side did not work. Someone obviously drove the hell out of this car without showing any care to repair anything. It would be a great car if someone actually maintained it. Luckily there is about 40 RL's within the Chicago metro.
cdroadwarrior (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

Saturday, January 21. I totally agree, nothing about this car felt safe. I felt like it would just break down at the stop light. Starting from the when i got in the Engine made a weird noise on startup. Many of the small features did not work, the blister in the tire, as well as the door sensors for the proximity key on the passenger side did not work. Someone obviously drove the hell out of this car without showing any care to repair anything. It would be a great car if someone actually maintained it. Luckily there is about 40 RL's within the Chicago metro.
Interesting! I looked at it on January 28th. Definitely a "bait and switch" car. I didn't catch the passenger side proximity sensors not working...I only noticed the trunk proximity sensor not working. I found out that it was bought at an auction as one of the other group members suggestion...so the dealer didn't think it was worth fixing. It did feel very worn out. The rear power visor caught and the steering wheel power adjustment seemed to catch...like the owner had never used them even once. Same with the sunroof. Thanks for responding! I am re-assured that I did the right thing walking away from it! I wish I hadn't spent a very long day taking a train there and then back only to find the tired/worn-out/poorly worn car that we both found. Glad you were closer by! They were surprised that I had my own OBD-II scanner with me. I think it was hit in the rear as well, as the exhaust was bent up and the proximity sensor, in addition to the passenger side t-bone accident from the glove box. The weird noise on startup was strange...the entire car rocked. I immediately thought of the warning from this group about worn engine mounts. Onward and forward!
Old 01-24-2017, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Yea, you seem to catch more problems than me, I decided to just go with an 06 RL with 44k on it. Perfect car!
cdroadwarrior (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced

Yea, you seem to catch more problems than me, I decided to just go with an 06 RL with 44k on it. Perfect car!
Congrats! Sounds like a great car. I have a 2006 RL CMBS/ACC (bought with almost 150k miles on it..but very well maintained). Other than the AFS sensor and a persistent VSA/ABS modulator issue that I finally tracked down, its been flawless. Wow, that is really low miles! What are you going to do with the timing belt? I know low mileage cars that are over 10 years old can present a unique quandary with the timing belt. Not near the mileage limit of the belt, but the aging/deterioration of the belt over time represents some risk. I once considered an early Acura NSX that was really low miles, but the timing belt was about 15 years old (the original from the early 90's).
Old 01-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
For my expectations the amount of work to make it flawless would be as much as just getting a 2009 with 20-40k miles.
And even if you did, the whole rest of the car that hadn't yet failed would be a raft of components that had 200,000 unmaintained hard miles on them and were that much closer to failure. It's a machine, and from the sound of it, they just about used up this one.
cdroadwarrior (01-27-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Advanced

For now I am just going to let the Timing belt be for about another 20k miles then I will start looking into it, but I love it. I even get looks like "what kind of car is that" rolling down the highway (all badges are deleted except the Acura logos). It truly is one amazing car, the interior feels brand new, and the exterior looks like it just rolled out of the showroom floor. This was definitely a huge upgrade from my 2010 Volkswagen CC which was just falling apart mechanically (2 cylinders were misfiring, nav screen shorted out, and there was much gear slippage).
Old 01-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Advanced

By the way it is a 2006 w/ Tech package in premium white pearl, and parchment interior. Came with the optional 18in chrome wheels, and badge deletion. Purchased it at Mungenast Acura of St.Louis for $17,350.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Advanced

By the way it is a 2006 w/ Tech package in premium white pearl, and parchment interior. Came with the optional 18in chrome wheels, and badge deletion. Purchased it at Mungenast Acura of St.Louis for $17,350.
Very nice! Would love to see pictures (if you haven't posted them yet)!
Old 01-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I think you did the right thing letting it go. I would have run (fast) from it!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cdroadwarrior
Very nice! Would love to see pictures (if you haven't posted them yet)!