Amazing Safety Features: HONDA SENSING

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Amazing Safety Features: HONDA SENSING

The All New Legend should also mean Acura RL.

Here is the story:
Honda Worldwide | October 24, 2014 "Honda Introduces "Honda SENSING" Advanced Driver-Assistive Syste"

Photo index:
Honda Worldwide | October 24, 2014 "Honda Introduces "Honda SENSING" Advanced Driver-Assistive Syste"

Drive safe...
Old 10-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
They're building a new Legend?!?
Old 10-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
They're building a new Legend?!?
by the look of image shown, it looks like JDM RLX.
hell, RLX is built in japan unlike rest of acura current line-up: ILX/TLX/MDX/RDX and soon to be NSX
Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Meh. I admire the technology but not necessarily the application, like most all other safety features making their way into the modern car. Common sense and driver awareness would prevent nearly all accidents if people exercised them on a regular basis. Don’t drink and drive, don’t drive tired, don’t drive aggressively in adverse weather conditions, don’t text/smoke/do your hair/argue with your kids/sip coffee while driving, pay attention to what’s happening around you, and so on and so forth. Accidents happen, but there's always a reason.

Such a shame we have to compensate for stupidity/apathy and make cars more expensive as a result. But it’s the world we live in now.

Last edited by RedRyder; 10-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedRyder:
a77 (10-24-2014), stagefoursurvivor (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRyder
Meh. I admire the technology but not necessarily the application, like most all other safety features making their way into the modern car. Common sense and driver awareness would prevent nearly all accidents if people exercised them on a regular basis. Don’t drink and drive, don’t drive tired, don’t drive aggressively in adverse weather conditions, don’t text/smoke/do your hair/argue with your kids/sip coffee while driving, pay attention to what’s happening around you, and so on and so forth. Accidents happen, but there's always a reason.

Such a shame we have to compensate for stupidity/apathy and make cars more expensive as a result. But it’s the world we live in now.
Amen!

"It's not my fault, the car didn't do it's job"!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Be a better driver

^Whole new slew of lawsuits, lol.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by xc1097
by the look of image shown, it looks like JDM RLX.
hell, RLX is built in japan unlike rest of acura current line-up: ILX/TLX/MDX/RDX and soon to be NSX
Only for the first year though (unless they changed their mind). The 2015 was slated to be built in Ohio along with the NSX. The yen is too strong compared to the dollar.

While I don't disagree with you, you will never eliminate human error. I take driving very seriously. I always prided myself on being accident free by my fault. However, I lost Legend #2 due to a mental lapse. You can say, "don't drive tired," but I didn't really have much choice. Take care of my family and take care of my job, or don't increase the risk of error. The passive features of my RL saved me from injury, but CMBS could have significantly reduced the injury my victim sustained. Humans aren't machines, and they do make mistakes regardless of how "stupid" you may think they are.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Only for the first year though (unless they changed their mind). The 2015 was slated to be built in Ohio along with the NSX. The yen is too strong compared to the dollar.

While I don't disagree with you, you will never eliminate human error. I take driving very seriously. I always prided myself on being accident free by my fault. However, I lost Legend #2 due to a mental lapse. You can say, "don't drive tired," but I didn't really have much choice. Take care of my family and take care of my job, or don't increase the risk of error. The passive features of my RL saved me from injury, but CMBS could have significantly reduced the injury my victim sustained. Humans aren't machines, and they do make mistakes regardless of how "stupid" you may think they are.
The problem, in my view, is these new safety features allow many to believe their own input/attention is now minimized/unnecessary.
They are intended as a supplement to your vigilance, not a replacement.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
The 2015 CRV Touring has most of these features. but not the last 4 (doesnt have low speed following). Lead car departure notification is a cool and useful if not safety related feature. Lane keeping assistance I am still playing with in the CRV. It is very clever but reliant on decent road markings. I am not sure I really see the benefit yet. But need more time with it. Why do I need help to stay in lane? Will see in time. My TLX will have it.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Be a better driver

I understand where you are coming from, and agree there will always be cases where there is error which results in a negative outcome. But I think if we all consistently and consciously made the effort more than we do now, there would be far fewer of these error cases that do occur. I am not sure the industry should not be catering to special/rare cases that could be far and few between if everyone on the road just did their part. And I don’t believe the answer is letting machines do the work for us. But I’m a purist, most people on the road aren’t.

I am not going to speculate on whatever you went through, I wasn’t there. But, I am glad you are alright.

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
The problem, in my view, is these new safety features allow many to believe their own input/attention is now minimized/unnecessary.
They are intended as a supplement to your vigilance, not a replacement.

Also a good point. Most people view driving as a daily task, something they have to do but do not care to do. There is a good chance people who see driving this way do not give it the full attention it deserves. I would hope just because someone drives a car packed with safety features, doesn’t mean they rely on it to save them. But functions like park assist, auto cruise control, etc are just conditioning people to be worse.

Clarkson made a point once about how people who don’t enjoy driving aren’t into it, and if they aren’t into it they won’t be any good at it. While of course people have to drive and not everyone is a car enthusiast, it makes good sense. But obviously it can’t work that way.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

I understand where you are coming from, and agree there will always be cases where there is error which results in a negative outcome. But I think if we all consistently and consciously made the effort more than we do now, there would be far fewer of these error cases that do occur. I am not sure the industry should not be catering to special/rare cases that could be far and few between if everyone on the road just did their part. And I don’t believe the answer is letting machines do the work for us. But I’m a purist, most people on the road aren’t.
But that is exactly what the purpose is, special, rare cases that don't happen often. They can be avoided if the car is intelligent.

In addition, there are a significant number of scenarios that are unpredictable and no amount of diligence can avoid them. In particular, I grew up in a rural area where I hit 4 deer in 3 years. A system monitoring road side activity can potentially reduce the risk of impact and damages in those cases.

I hear quite often that systems that can be exposed to take advantage of aren't worth implementing. Nearly every system in existence can be abused, but those circumstances are almost always the exception and do not outweigh the benefit of the system's intended use.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Be a better driver

^Deer and the like are more difficult, I don't disagree with you there. When I'm driving on a dark rural road at night, I slow down and I also keep it in mind that if I see something in the road, not to swerve. It would be better to hit it and let insurance fix the car than hit a tree or a ravine.

I'm not against every measure out there, it's just that there are too many, trying to compensate for too many things. Overall I just do not see it being worth the resources and cost to the manufacturer and consumer, just for those special rare "lowest common denominator" instances where the measure may or may not work.

I remember my grandpa always had deer whistlers on his '84 Cadillac Coupe deVille lol.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, have no worries. For as long as there are non-autonomous cars, there will be base trims and Toyota Yaris with manual windows. The extra is optional.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Be a better driver

Haha
Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While I do NOT want my car to drive for me, I think this is a great idea for helping with driver inattention, from run-of-the-mill distractions to drivers who nod off at the wheel.