Acura RL VS Competition 05-08

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Acura RL VS Competition 05-08

Hey Guys! New to Acurazine. What is the difference between a used RL and the completion (E Class/ M35/ GS). Will the RL have more repairs? (2005-2008)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by robscharp05
Hey Guys! New to Acurazine. What is the difference between a used RL and the completion (E Class/ M35/ GS). Will the RL have more repairs? (2005-2008)
This question is too vague.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by schen72
This question is too vague.

I think he means reliability wise. Though I agree with you. OP please clarify what exactly you are asking.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Also, the competition changed dramatically from 2005-2008 where the RL went from 1st in comparisons to almost last.
The following users liked this post:
TampaRLX-SH (01-27-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, I apologize for this thread, what i was initially wandering is, what is the reliability as well as how well the materials hold up compared mainly compared to an 03-08 Mercedes E350, 06-10 M35, and a GS300.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Such a generalization statement, but if you go off of statistics, I'm willing to bet:

1) GS
2) RL
3-4) E350 or M35
Old 01-24-2017, 02:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by dly89
From my understanding reliability wise and repairs, the GS is the way to go followed by the RL. The RL has a lot of nifty gadgets. I have to agree it was the star of the show during its first year or so until Infiniti and Lexus released there new offerings. From then on it was down the tubes, everything surpassed it BY ALOT. It then struggled to even hit the 5000 mark in 2008. I am still a little bit confused why It didn't sell. I've heard it from all directions that it was a bargain, also people say it was extremely overpriced. Yes the backseat is cramped also another reason. But on another note people debate rather it should have a V8 even though it only has a 6. It should have sold more, even without the much talked about V8, you don't really need a V8 in this size of vehicle of its class. Anyone like to elaborate??
IMHO It isn't the lack of a V8 that made it a sinking duck. It was the lack of a luxury badge (audi, bmw, merc..etc), coupled with mid-size sedan size, and the lack of a real presence. People that buy 7-series BMW's, and S-classes do so a lot of the time because they want to get noticed. The 05-08 RL looks incredibly small for it's size, it actually looks like a compact sedan to me (I don't know why either) but the facelift really helped to give it some more presence IMHO. I also feel that is why the RLX is doing so poor, 377hp and a 7 speed DCT is nothing to laugh at, but it looks so sedate that it gets passed on often.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

They made like two commercials for the RL and only aired them in 2005. They put their money on the TL and MDX and won the bet. The TSX didn't do too shabby either. Also, at the time, it was pretty difficult for someone to drop $50k on a car that wasn't BMW, Benz, Audi, or Lexus.

I think a V8 would've brought in some customers and detracted others. They would've needed both options, and the ROI on the RL was already poor.
projektvertx (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
They made like two commercials for the RL and only aired them in 2005. They put their money on the TL and MDX and won the bet. The TSX didn't do too shabby either. Also, at the time, it was pretty difficult for someone to drop $50k on a car that wasn't BMW, Benz, Audi, or Lexus.

I think a V8 would've brought in some customers and detracted others. They would've needed both options, and the ROI on the RL was already poor.
Yup the MDX is their bread and butter car around here, and rightfully so, I've always felt it's a great truck when I had it as a loaner and I've driven a lot of trucks in that price range. I can't drive anywhere nowadays without seeing at minimum one. Just in my 8 mile drive this morning,I saw 3 new ones... I'm honestly suprised they combined the TL and TSX markets, I always somewhat felt that TL owners were underwhelmed by the TLX and the TSX owners aren't really in the same price range with a TLX. Most people who are dropping 50k on a car expect recognition from the outside world, and the RL doesn't do that. When I had a rental Challenger (25k sticker), I honestly got more attention in 3 weeks then I ever have in my RL, granted it is a Challenger and it's designed to get attention...

Last edited by projektvertx; 01-24-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I think any of those cars will hold up well if you take care of it. The MB may require more expensive maintenance. My RL still looks brand new to some people because it is garaged.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Nothing better than the RL from 05-08.
TampaRLX-SH (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
You know what opinions are like -- everybody has one. Here's mine.

You've come to an RL forum, so you have to expect favorable opinions of the RL. As an RL owner, I won't disappoint.

I think the GS, Infiniti M, and RL all should be reliable cars. The RL sold best in '05, and has been widely reported on this forum and elsewhere, it had more than its share of first-year bugs. That means, unfortunately, the year that's lowest-priced and easiest to find also is the most trouble-prone.

Even so, the basic engine and transmission and driveline mechanicals basically are very reliable and duraable, including the trick SH-AWD system that is the car's signature feature. It's a lot of the other toys that made most of the trouble. I'd also venture a guess that parts for the Japanese cars will be more affordable (and repairs more viable) than on the German ones. There's a reason why people say to buy Japanese and lease German.

The RL was somewhat underpowered and, in back, undersized for the class, but I'm not buying the party line that its overall quality became generally uncompetitive. As 007 suggests, its problem was more one of marketing. In a class where people pay more than they have to in order to signal status, the Acura had neither a respected luxury badge, nor a name that meant anything as its predecessor the Legend did, nor an impressively long wheelbase, nor the expected V8 and rear-wheel drive.

Another problem was across the showroom: the TL. The RL was so conservatively styled as to disappear entirely, because it was basically targeted at Japanese executive buyers and offered here as an afterthought. The TL was designed by and for Americans, amd naturally it was much more appealing to Americans with its bold, sporty look. And although the TL was a lot less substantial car, it appeared to be the same size, nearly the same equipment list, and $15,000 less. Because of all this, most buyers simply overlooked the RL entirely, which is part of what makes it such a compelling value as a used car (it's how I was lucky enough to attain mine).

The RL is not the fastest, nor the largest, nor the firmest car in its class. But upon close inspection, it oozes quality from its pores, and it is an unbeatable friend on long trips and in the worst conditions. Find a well-maintained one '06 or newer and you'll congratulate yourself for having the good taste and discrimination to buy it, for multiple years to come.
The following 3 users liked this post by TonyCD:
projektvertx (01-28-2017), robscharp05 (01-27-2017), TampaRLX-SH (01-27-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 05:42 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
Another problem was across the showroom: the TL. The RL was so conservatively styled as to disappear entirely, because it was basically targeted at Japanese executive buyers and offered here as an afterthought. The TL was designed by and for Americans, amd naturally it was much more appealing to Americans with its bold, sporty look. And although the TL was a lot less substantial car, it appeared to be the same size, nearly the same equipment list, and $15,000 less. Because of all this, most buyers simply overlooked the RL entirely, which is part of what makes it such a compelling value as a used car (it's how I was lucky enough to attain mine).
Very well phrased! To add to the quoted point, and this is somewhat irrelevant to the OPs point, I was told Honda pitted Honda Japan against Honda US to design the 04-'08 TLs. Our RL is what came out of Japan and the 3G TL is what came out of Ohio. Instead of scrapping the whole car, they just started loading the Honda of Japan car with features and what resulted was the 2G RL. That's why the RL somewhat failed to prove itself in the showroom when it sat next to the 3G TL in my opinion.
TampaRLX-SH (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
^^^ tis true...
Old 01-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
Very well phrased! To add to the quoted point, and this is somewhat irrelevant to the OPs point, I was told Honda pitted Honda Japan against Honda US to design the 04-'08 TLs. Our RL is what came out of Japan and the 3G TL is what came out of Ohio. Instead of scrapping the whole car, they just started loading the Honda of Japan car with features and what resulted was the 2G RL. That's why the RL somewhat failed to prove itself in the showroom when it sat next to the 3G TL in my opinion.
Giving credit where it's due for the phrasing, I believe I remembered/stole the "problem was across the showroom" phrase from the ubiquitous Michael Karesh of TrueDelta, who wrote that comment in his incisive RL review on Epinions when the car came out (I think you can still find it, but you have to look hard).

I recall seeing something similar about a Japan vs. US studio showdown. The American styling job was deemed the winner and thus used as the TL. I've always loved the looks of our RL's (I love the looks of the TL even more, truth be told). But if you look at another of my favorite luxury-sedan styling jobs, the Mercedes-Benz W211 E-class starting in 2002, the 2G RL looks awfully, awfully similar. If I were the suspicious type...