Acura 100 Month Battery Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Acura 100 Month Battery Warranty

Hi all...

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to collect on the 100 month Acura battery warranty?? I believe it's a 3 year replacement and prorated credit after 3 years.

My problem is... and I'm sure their marketing department counts on this... I don't have my receipt for when I bought the battery. I know I replaced it once (it's not the original battery that came with the car), but I can't recall exactly when and I don't have the receipt.

Normally, I'd let it go because I don't have proof that I bought it less than 100 months ago, but in thinking about it, my car is a 2006 and even if I had bought the battery in the year my car was manufactured, that would only be 5 years so far on the battery! So shouldn't I be able to get like a 40% credit toward a new battery??

Has anyone tried to argue this point with the dealer to try to get some kind of credit toward a new battery WITHOUT a RECEIPT? Do you guys think I have a valid argument and can get them to agree with me?

Just curious what your experiences or thought are...
Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the Warranty applies to the OEM battery, not a replacement battery.
That said, wherever you bought the replacement should have record of your purchase for whatever warranty was on the replacement.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by getakey
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the Warranty applies to the OEM battery, not a replacement battery.
That said, wherever you bought the replacement should have record of your purchase for whatever warranty was on the replacement.
No... the warranty applies to REPLACEMENT genuine Acura batteries as well. (replacement meaning, it was a genuine Acura part bought at a dealer and NOT the original battery that came with the car off the assembly line... but both are Acura batteries).

The battery itself has "100 month warranty" and the Acura logo on labels all over it. I paid cash for the battery when I bought it, so they didn't get a name and address for their records. I recall the receipt showing "Cash Sale" or something like that.

Last edited by Megatron; 08-22-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i spoke with 2 different acura dealerships regarding this. I have an 07 with a battery from 09. 1st dealership told me i could not have it replaced without receipt, which i dont have. 2nd dealership told me since my car was older than 4 years ( by 3 months) that they could not replace the battery even though the battery itself is less than 4 years old. Total BS
Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HKSmr2rbo
i spoke with 2 different acura dealerships regarding this. I have an 07 with a battery from 09. 1st dealership told me i could not have it replaced without receipt, which i dont have. 2nd dealership told me since my car was older than 4 years ( by 3 months) that they could not replace the battery even though the battery itself is less than 4 years old. Total BS
That's what I had a feeling would happen, but thought I would ask here for others' experiences first. Seems like a big marketing scam with that 100 month warranty claim!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I replaced my original 05 battery after 6 years and claimed the warranty but they told me that it only applied to the replacement so I got nothing. The new one was a little more money but the 100 mos warranty sold me because I now have a warranty that will outlast the car. Most replacement batteries have raised posts so the positive unit will not fit and after trying to save a few bucks I decided that it just wasn't worth it and went to the dealer.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I got a free replacement battery after the replacement battery in my MDX failed during the non-prorated portion of the warranty. I bought it at the dealer so they had a record of the transaction. Didn't need a receipt.

LL
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
the original battery was replaced by the dealer free under the 4yr/unlimited mileage warranty. They told me it tested low even tho I never had any problems with it. If I need a replacement it is on record when the first battery was replaced. I also have the service receipt.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Just dealt with this, today, when my 100-monther died after about 26 months. This battery was installed for "free" under warranty. This time, the dealer balked and said the warranty-service battery wasn't warranteed when it dies, so I had to pay $130 for the new one. This one is now back on the 100 month plan...

They did give me a cup of coffee, however.

3k to 100k...
Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
I too went through the same thing and initially had a hard time understanding the logic. I purchased the CPO 2005 a couple of years ago. It already had a replacement (OEM) battery in it. When it failed I was informed that it wouldn't be covered: because that's not covered under the CPO and/or extended warranty; it's been too long to attempt a claim that it was the original battery; and that since I didn't have a receipt...no dice.

As db22 mentions, I couldn't find a non-OEM battery that would fit (even though several parts stores swore they would...I tried two and gave up). Ultimately I purchased an OEM and installed it myself.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballinger
Just dealt with this, today, when my 100-monther died after about 26 months. This battery was installed for "free" under warranty. This time, the dealer balked and said the warranty-service battery wasn't warranteed when it dies, so I had to pay $130 for the new one. This one is now back on the 100 month plan...

They did give me a cup of coffee, however.

3k to 100k...
So when is it warrantied? I would have argued the heck out of that. There are not too many other cases than a battery dying to cause it to be bad. The dealer will always try to get away with whatever you will let them.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
what does it cost to get the battery at the dealer? mine is still working.. but the last time I washed my car and left the radio going while I was washing.. the battery ended up dying and I had to jump my car... I didn't have the radio going THAT long... so I suspect my battery is on it's last legs... and will probably need to be replaced soon.

my car is an 06 w/ 55k miles. I believe my battery is the OEM unit.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
What makes this battery so special that you can only get it at the dealer? Couldn't you find one at Interstate Battery?

I had a new battery installed by the PO that I shouldn't worry for a while if its going to die.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Pro

On a side note about batteries, does anyone know if the dealer will take back ANY car battery for the core charge? Or does it have to be the same sized one that you bought?

I'm asking because I have an old Honda Civic battery that is in WAY worse shape than the RL one I just replaced. Just wondering if I can bring them the Civic battery to get my core charge back so that I can keep my old RL battery to try to revive it? (the Civic battery is about half the size of the RL battery!)
Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

You can buy a drip charger and do it yourself at home. I'm sure every auto parts store has one.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I would relay my experience with this. 1) I bought a 2008 TSX in January 2009, CPO with about 12,000 miles. 2) Original battery failed in February 2011. Dealer replaced it for free under warranty (the car's warranty, not the battery's). 3) Battery started failing again exactly two years later, February 2013. I call the dealer, and I'm told that even though the battery says "100 month limited warranty" on it, the battery has no warranty left. "Those labels are confusing, but it's not covered", I'm told. I look up the warranty booklets available on Acura's website, and it says "Replacement batteries obtained from an Acura dealer will be replaced if defective at no cost during the first 36 months." I call Client Relations for an explanation. I'm told that even though I "obtained" (key word -- their word) the battery from an Acura dealer, I didn't purchase it, so it's not covered. Apparently their definition of a replacement battery is one I paid for myself, not one that replaced an original battery under warranty. But the warranty documentation says nothing about this. It says "obtained", not "ourchased." The battery I have IS a replacement battery, and it was "obtained" at an Acura dealer, so as far as I'm concerned they should replace it. If they aren't going to replace a replacement battery replaced under warranty, their language should say that "replacement batteries PURCHASED BY THE CUSTOMER at an Acura dealer will be replaced at no cost", not "OBTAINED". They tell me that to escalate this further, I would need to seek legal action. I go to Sears and pay for a new DieHard battery so I can keep rolling. I may file something with Better Business Bureau on this.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

I think this is the case no matter where you buy the battery.
Do you know for sure Sears will keep rolling it forward?
You could easily keep making the battery go bad just before 36 months is up
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

I didn't make the battery go bad. I was a little shocked at how quickly they did go bad, though. I've gotten at least 4 years or more from other cars through the years. I drive the car daily and don't put any special loads on it that I know of, and live in a mild climate. Anyway, the Sears battery doesn't have a 100 month warranty claim, and I purchased it myself, so it's much more cut and dried moving forward. I found out I could still go to the Acura dealer and get another 100 month battery, pay for it myself, and the 36-month free replacement (prorated thereafter) would apply, since I would be paying for the battery myself. But it would $160 installed vs. about $120 for the DieHard. I went with Sears this time. Hopefully the DieHard will last longer than 2 years. I keep every auto service receipt, so I'll know.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Cruisin'

Reading your message again, I see you thought I meant that I wanted to keep free replacement "rolling". All I was saying was that I literally wanted to keep "rolling" in the car -- that is, not get stranded, so I went ahead to Sears, which was convenient to my office, and got the battery replaced.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Safety Car

I understand that you did not make the battery go bad. I'm just saying if you could keep rolling the 36 month warranty forward, a person could make it go bad to play that game.
No place is going to do that. If you buy a battery with a 36 month full replacement warranty and it goes bad after 2 years, they will replace the battery, but you will not get another one for free if the replacement only lasts another 2 years.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chrisgreencar
Reading your message again, I see you thought I meant that I wanted to keep free replacement "rolling". All I was saying was that I literally wanted to keep "rolling" in the car -- that is, not get stranded, so I went ahead to Sears, which was convenient to my office, and got the battery replaced.
ok - get it now
put previous reply before seeing thi
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

No worries -- this whole battery warranty vs. car warranty thing is confusing!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Pro

I have a new way to deal with this now... I have an Acura and two Hondas that use the same size battery. I just buy one and keep the receipt on it and use that to get a replacement when one of the others go bad. They were all purchased at a 2 year staggered time frame, so there is always one going bad at around the 2 year age mark. We the customer can play their games too.
The following users liked this post:
wackjum (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Interesting technique! But I only have one car with this battery size. Thinking further about this, it dawned on me that they are probably giving out used batteries for this "replacement" program, at least for those like me that got it for free under the new car warranty. That would explain why they're only lasting 2 years! Because really, that's a little short based on my past experience with automobiles.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

the RL eats batteries. I have a 2005 and I'm on my 4th
1st lasted 3 years. Ineglected to read car warranty, so I purchased replacement at auto store. This 2nd one lasted 3 yrs as well. Then 3rd one lasted less than 2 yrs and I got a free replacement based on battery warranty from parts store.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Cruisin'

Resolution

Good news for me... I placed a report last week with Better Business Bureau about this, just to see what would happen.
Acura called today and offered to reimburse me for the battery I bought last week. I'm very pleased, although I do feel slightly guilty. I understand their policy, but the warranty documentation does not clearly state it, at all. I would have accepted a partial refund, but it's great that they are willing to cover it completely. Squeaky wheels get grease :-)
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 AM
9th Gear

I'm running into the same problem with my 08 TSX. I took it in Dec 09 for a recall, dealer tester battery and told me they replaced it since it tested bad even though I didn't have a problem. Had another dealer replace it 2010 since it was barely cranking. Replaced again in 2011 same reason by another dealer, no problem. Today, by battery is dead as a door-nail after 3 weeks without cranking. Charged and ran for 30 minutes, won't start again. Dealer says it's not under warranty since it's not the original battery and since I didn't buy it myself. Service manager even told me it's not really fair since the Acura batteries are awful.

They should replace it since it's within the original 100 month period. I can see them not having a rolling 100 month warranty, but a two year old OEM battery failing is clearly a manufacturing problem.

Off to Sears.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
have your alternator tested too
Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
I appreciate the comprehensive info on the Acura battery's warranty. It seems to be an unusually good warranty.

But I'd also like to hear some opinions on the battery itself. Am I correct in gathering that a lot of members here think it's not just the car's appetite for batteries that makes the Acura OEM battery fail early -- that the battery itself isn't very good?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

IMO there are only a few companies making the cores and then they are packaged in fancy casings.

IIRC If the vehicle was made in Japan and still has the factory battery it is almost definitely a Panasonic.

If the battery has been replaced by the dealer or the vehicle was made in the USA, it is very likely a Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls batteries have two vent pods on top that have squared off corners. They'll also say "DO NOT TIP. KEEP VENT CAPS TIGHT AND LEVEL" on them. (AC Delco batteries made by Johnson Controls are an exception; their vent pods have no
writing on them at all).

Johnson Controls has a consumer website, AutoBatteries.com , which has some info about the Acura and Toyota OEM and replacement batteries they make. There is also a battery selector to find exact part numbers for specific vehicles.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Good info, Heavy. Thanks as usual.

So where do you shake out on this debate? Is it just that RL's eat batteries, or is it partly the fault of THESE batteries? And if so, is one make of the battery worse than the other?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I try to be more than a pretty face haha.

My opinion? Its neither, its in the sensors.

The cars telemetry is sensitive to the point we think its failing but in reality its warning us that things aren't right... now it could be done in a very different method, like a "hey dumb ass change the battery" message.

Once a battery fails in our car it can maintain in a less complex system for a long time.

I demote mine to my boat or my trail rig.
The following users liked this post:
TonyCD (09-18-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
So, I'm having similar issues with the stealership. The only issue is that I DO have the receipt for the replacement battery.

The official warranty is as follows:
http://owners.acura.com/parts-accessories/parts

"Every Acura battery includes a 100-month limited warranty (when installed by an authorized Acura dealer), 3 years free replacement and a prorated warranty for the balance of 100 months."

Luckily for me, the I'm in month 35 of the 36 month free replacement :>)

Btw, I have an 2007 MDX Sport and a 2006 RL - both acura's have never made it 3 years with an Acura battery.....NEVER. They eat batteries like no other vehicle I've owned.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

So, what's your issue?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Well, the thread started out with concerns around the Acura battery warranty - what is and is not covered - lawyer-ese in the contract, etc etc

I was letting people know my situation.

The stealership was claiming not to have the receipt for work they did Jan 2011- which included replacing the battery. Some other's have noted that they weren't able to find theirs.

In my case, I had to go digging for the receipt - even though it should've been in their computers since they did the repair less than 3 years ago.

Once I provided that, they said it was covered.

I do believe without a doubt that the stealership was fibbing - and do it often. Luckily I keep my receipts. And have noted the actual warranty guidelines (that other's weren't sure about) in my above post. Plus, what is up with these 100 month batteries only lasting 1/3 their life!?!??!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

similar issue, happy ending.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kingofbytes, I hear your frustration. It sounds like your "stealership" is very shady. I have an 06 RL, when I took it in for some basic service they found the battery to be at the end of it's life with only one month left on it's warranty (original battery). They could have said nothing and I would have been in there 4-6 weeks later replacing it at my expense. I still have that second battery.
After 7 years I'm on my second battery still. So I'm not sure that all RL's eat batteries.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofbytes
Plus, what is up with these 100 month batteries only lasting 1/3 their life!?!??!
The 100 month thing is the prorated portion of the warranty, which is really just an incentive to get you to buy a new battery with them. You get a credit towards the purchase of your new battery based on the initial cost of the battery divided by how many months of the 100 months is remaining.

The prorated warranty is usually worthless. The real warranty a manufacturer thinks their battery will last is somewhere shortly after the "free replacement" period. If you have a 36/100 battery, 36 months is about what the manufacturer really thinks it should last for.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:33 AM
Instructor

I agree completely wackjum. It's a bit uncomfortable when wife's MDX and my RL are basically on an every 2.5yr - 3yr clip. Even if the warranty was 72 months - there's just something wrong with that.

Thankfully Acura warranties the battery for 3 years in full, but I'd truly rather have a battery go 5-6 yrs (and pay for it) than to have that point where my wife needs to call AAA every 2.5-3yrs because a "genuine" Acura battery dies very early.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofbytes
I agree completely wackjum. It's a bit uncomfortable when wife's MDX and my RL are basically on an every 2.5yr - 3yr clip. Even if the warranty was 72 months - there's just something wrong with that.

Thankfully Acura warranties the battery for 3 years in full, but I'd truly rather have a battery go 5-6 yrs (and pay for it) than to have that point where my wife needs to call AAA every 2.5-3yrs because a "genuine" Acura battery dies very early.
I don't have any specific experience with application in the MDX and RL, but you should look into the Optima batteries. They are AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries instead of the usual plates floating in acid battery that are common. The main advantage is that the acid is absorbed into a fiber material instead of sloshing around. This means vibrations and temperature stress on the lead plates won't affect them as much. I live in Houston, where the high temperatures kill batteries every 3 years like clockwork. I have a 5 year old Optima that is still running in one of my cars. The warranty is still 3 years on them, but I think at least 5 years is pretty typical for these.

They are expensive though. At least twice the cost of a typical battery.

Quick Reply: Acura 100 Month Battery Warranty