New rear wheel bearings - dash is lighting UP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
New rear wheel bearings - dash is lighting UP!

so I just installed new Detroit Axle rear wheel bearing assemblies in my 05 RL. Not the first time I've installed these. The install was a little time consuming, but not very difficult so long as you have the right tools. Anyway the install went totally fine. No problems I can think of. Put it all back together, started up the car and now I'm getting almost all the common sensors going off. VSA, SHAWD, Brake System, ABS, AFS and even TPMS. I hooked up my OBD2 port tool and app called "BlueDriver". Basically all four corners are complaining. I would have thought maybe the left or right rear was going wonky. I'm also getting a droning hum sound from the rear at 45mph now. I spoke with Detroit Axel. They confirmed the model assemblies I have are correct for the 05. I cleared all the errors just to see if they would come back, which of course they did. So now my 05 is 2wd that moans! Battery is a Honda, not a even a year old. I might disconnect the battery and reconnect, but I'm not optimistic.

Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I've had similar things happen but it was usually because I forgot to reconnect a speed or ABS sensor when I took apart the hub. Reconnecting and resetting solved the problem. Are you sure you reconnected all the sensors?
Old 11-01-2018, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Pretty damn sure, but now not so sure. I mean, for this job you don't even need to disconnect them. The wires are out of the way and the nub of the sensor in the hub doesn't really touch anything. I had even gently cleaned it, just like last time, with a q-tip because it had a fine layer of road gunk on them. Maybe they work better with road gunk on them I wanted to pull the sensor out at the time, but it seems like it's stuck in there. I'm going to pop the wheels off just to get a good look in there, yet again. Maybe the orange clip up on the back of the fender well is just barely loose or something. Really frustrating.

On the plus side, this OBD2 BlueDriver device and mobile app are really good! It pulled up old alerts I had in the system from ages ago. And you can email the full report back to yourself in PDF format.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Yea speed sensors seem to be the reason below (suggested threads), 'wheel speed censor posted by BearCat.

Also, those sensor that look like the AFS sensor on the read left, i dunno if these are the speed sensors. Maybe the new positioning threw them off?

Also, you said "moaning"... Could it be like below, the bearings need resetting?

I also know when you change something in the wheels, sometimes the angle speed sensor also triggers all those lights, and one needs to reprogram the steering angle sensor.

It seems starting with 'resetting' the bearings until there's no more physical "moan", and once gone, doing a reset. I think it was disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes (some also suggested putting the + & - cables together once off the battery to let all the electricity discharge) then reconnect.

Best shots i got so far.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
My first thought is you forgot to reconnect the speed sensor?
Old 11-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Hey guys, I ended up pulling both assemblies off again to get a good look around. Wanted to make sure nothing went sideways after the install. The bearings themselves looked fine. I went ahead and pulled the speed sensors this time. Wow, they were both covered in a crusty corrosive material that had to have been there for some time already. Replacing the bearings must have somehow tripped them. I cleaned them up and reinstalled everything. Gave it a good, long test drive at a range of differing speeds and all but the VSA sensor have cleared! Error code is stating it's unplugged. I don't even know where this is! Time for another forum search

Stay tuned for a full write up on wheel bearing replacement...I've only done it about about 10 times at least (not all this car). Lost count. Just takes a couple special tools, an afternoon and patience.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:17 PM
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Any luck on the VSA sensor? I'm having the same problem with my front end. I replaced the front wheel bearings with original Acura OEM bearings and now VSA and ABS lights will not turn off. I replaced the passenger side ABS sensor with a new, Acura OEM sensor and still the lights stay on. Cleared codes with a Snap-On scanner tool and VSA and ABS warning lights come back on as soon as vehicle is driven ten feet. Ugh. Not sure what to do next...
Old 07-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Sorry for such a late reply!
I was able to reliably clear all the lights except the VSA light. It's extremely predictable though. Once I drive approximately 200 yards, the VSA light pings on. I could idle the car all day and night, and the light won't come on. I could put the car in gear and wait for hours, and still the light won't turn on. When I pull out of my driveway, I can accurately predict when the light will trigger. It's very much a specific driven distance trigger, at least in my case. I've read on other car forums it's possibly related to a faulty speed sensor, which are mounted in to each wheel bearing assembly (they look like a small black tube, approximately 3/8" diameter by 2" long with a wire that snakes back up through the inner wheel well and a small set-screw holding it in). I've been living with it for now. After changing jobs last year I haven't had the time to go back and see about replacing the speed sensor. It maybe that when I cleaned the road grime and corrosion off, as I was replacing the rear wheel bearings, somehow I damaged the sensor, though I was super careful when I cleaned them. I also don't know if it's the left or right rear. When I pull the sensor data via ODB2 it doesn't specify (that would just be too helpful!). I suspect the left rear since that sensor was heavily gunked up at the time. Now that things have settled down job-wise, I hope to get to replacing the sensor before the summers out. Oh, and I had written up a good "how to" for replacing the wheel bearings at the time, but completely forgot to pull it off my old work laptop when I left my last job :-( I can probably whip up another one. It's really not that difficult. In terms of tools, it's the usual suspects. Floor jack, jack stands, a few metric sockets, a six inch extension and a socket wrench with a flexible head on it to help snake through the backside where the bolts to the bearings are located. I honestly think changing out the headlights is more of a pain!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:55 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by swake457
y. I'm also getting a droning hum sound from the rear at 45mph now
I think I may be having that same issue. I was thinking it was road/tire noise. Can you describe it more please? Did it go away after you replaced the bearings?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 PM
Instructor

I had thought tires at first, so I rotated them. But no change. Ultimately replacing the bearings in the rear did resolve the odd droning sound I was hearing. It's seemed to be a rotational sound, not a constant drone or hum. But I couldn't really feel it through the car. So I had someone else ride in the car with me and asked if they could get a sense for where the sound was coming from. They agreed it seemed to be the rear.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am curious what symptom besides droning sound did you notice that leads to replacing wheel bearings? Are they like change brakes that need to replace in pairs?

Last edited by acura_fantacy; 07-02-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by swake457
I had thought tires at first, so I rotated them. But no change. Ultimately replacing the bearings in the rear did resolve the odd droning sound I was hearing. It's seemed to be a rotational sound, not a constant drone or hum. But I couldn't really feel it through the car. So I had someone else ride in the car with me and asked if they could get a sense for where the sound was coming from. They agreed it seemed to be the rear.
Thanks for the info, I think I may having the same issue....WIll check it out this weekend...
Old 07-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Racer

Update. It was my rear tires. Worn down to steel belts on inside of tires. Passenger side way worse than drivers side. Looks like an alignment is waaay overdue. 2 new tires on rear made a massive difference in ride and road noise (duh).