View Poll Results: What 1 Most Luxury/Tech Option Is Missing From Your New RDX?
Panoramic Roof
3.33%
Front/Rear Parking Sensors
9.17%
Forward Collision w/ Lane Departure Warning System
3.33%
Radar or Adaptive Cruise Control
5.83%
LED Daytime Running Lights & LED Tail Lights
13.33%
20” or at least a 19” Wheel Option (Seriously Acura?)
2.50%
Blind Spot Monitoring System
20.00%
Around View 360 Camera Monitor System
3.33%
Power Folding Mirrors
10.00%
Built-In Rear Seat DVD or Blu Ray Entertainment System
0.83%
Adaptive Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps
5.00%
Air-Cooled Ventilated Front Seats
12.50%
Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel w/ Entry/Exit
5.00%
Automatic/Power Pedals
0%
Heated Steering Wheel
3.33%
Adjustable Suspension
0%
115-Volt Household Power Outlet w/ Built-In Air Compressor
0%
Rear Moving/Adjustable Reclining Back Seat
2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

What 1 Most Luxury/Tech Option Is Missing From Your New RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What 1 Most Luxury/Tech Option Is Missing From Your New RDX?

I recently purchased my RDX, and aside from a few minor issues, I’m really enjoying the car so far. However, as this is my first Acura/Honda product, I do wish the car had some features/options many of the competitors in this class either include as standard or at least offered in their product line. I understand Acura employed some cost-cutting so the new RDX resulted as the “value option” priced much less compared to other vehicles in this segment like in the RX350, Q5, SRX, GLK and X3, but what’s disconcerting in my opinion is that cars like the new 2013 Honda Accord has several tech features (lane departure, blind spot, LED headlights & DRL’s) that Honda’s supposed premium/luxury brand division, Acura, doesn’t even offer on the RDX.

Seriously Acura? For real?

So I wanted to see for those that own the 2013 RDX, if you could have just one feature/tech option not currently available on the 2013 Acura RDX, what would it be? And for those owners that elected to pass on the Tech Package, if this package had included one additional option that potentially may have swayed you, what would that be? (If you passed b/c of price, then I guess this doesn’t apply.)

And as somebody that drives with the sunroof open all the time (and I mean all the time player), I really wanted my next car to have a panoramic roof. And since I’ve never owned a car with one, I was really looking at the GLK, Q5, X3 and SRX offerings. But ultimately I decided on the RDX although I had to compromise on the panoramic roof.

So I wondered how you fine folks on Acurazine felt. If you could have just one, what tech feature is missing from your RDX? And who knows, this may be a reality in future iterations of the car.

(I purposely left out Acura’s SH-AWD feature found in the previous gen RDX since SH-AWD is proprietary to Honda/Acura. I wanted to poll owners on features/options that are also offered on other competitors.)
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one thing not on your poll is the non height adjustable passenger seat ,this would be at or near the top of my list
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mww50
one thing not on your poll is the non height adjustable passenger seat ,this would be at or near the top of my list
Agreed! Another thing.. the new Ford Escape has more features than our RDX... Panaramic roof, parking assist, etc. Although I had to laugh, a fully loaded Escape is the same $36k sticker as a Non Tech AWD RDX... Who in their right mind would pay $36k for an Escape... I'd take the non tech RDX anyday for the same $$. 1yr longer warranty with Acura.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Have to say, I'm not sure what the attraction is for many of the tech features like lane departure, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, collision warning, parking sensors, 360 camera, self parking.... all suggest a driver that isn't maybe driving, that can't park a car or gauge distances, doesn't know how to use mirrors or can't be bothered to see if they're about to drive into another vehicle? If this was the size of an Escalade, then maybe the 360 camera would help dock the thing, but the RDX is a pretty tidy package, has the rear camera and tilts down the side mirror when in reverse. Other items like adjustable suspension or rear seat entertainment or reclining rear seats fly in the face of Acura's identified target demographic -- empty nesters and DINKs, no one is going to be spending much time back there or taking the thing to the track. 20's and LEDs...Honda/Acura is staid and conservative. Power folding mirrors?....I'd say the power liftgate was borderline....for the number of times I move the mirrors, I can handle physically doing the honors. Could be me but I think the appeal of the RDX is that it has the features that you need and enjoy day in and day out. Powerful engine and smooth transmission, untouched by others at the same pricepoint, bullet proof engineering and reliability that Cadillac, Audi, BWM and Mercedes will never match, technology that maximizes fuel economy (cylinder deactivation), keeps the cabin quiet (active noise cancellation), the road smooth (dual mode shocks), the driver safe (blue tooth phone and music, voice options), let's you see (HID headlights that rock!), keeps the car on the road (AWD that addresses what 95% of us need while driving on paved roads), etc. Add in the right size, not to small, not to big, and one of the lightest CUV's around that helps on braking and handling. I'll handle all the duties that involve being engaged behind the wheel. My choice then would be the 115 volt outlet, although that is readily addressed with an after market power inverter ... or the big roof.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
One other thing...picture the wiring harness and computer system for say an Audi that has all these wish for features...and then picture owning the car longer than the warranty period....say ten years....hope you know a good mechanic!!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculldog3
Have to say, I'm not sure what the attraction is for many of the tech features like lane departure, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, collision warning, parking sensors, 360 camera, self parking.... all suggest a driver that isn't maybe driving, that can't park a car or gauge distances, doesn't know how to use mirrors or can't be bothered to see if they're about to drive into another vehicle? .
Had to chuckle and make sure I didn't write the beginning of that post.

After 3.4 years and 56K miles in the Volvo XC60 containing many of those above mentioned features, I can say I don't 'miss' any of them. I am happy to have the rear camera and tilt down mirror. I do miss the power folding mirrors as we use them regularly in our own garage(tight fit). What the mirrors REALLY need would be puddle lights. Nice to be able to light up the outside of the vehicle as one approaches in the dark. We've had at least 5 Volvos with that feature. The 'pull the stalk for 30 seconds of headlights' would be a nice feature...don't want that all the time. Don't know what the LED fixation is, either; although I was surprised when I changed a stop light in the Volvo and found it was essentially the same bayonet design as in my vehicles back in the '70s.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Advanced

I feel your pain on the passenger seats, however for the poll, I wanted to focus more on luxury/tech features.

It is clear that Acura cut corners on many basic areas (for a luxury/premium brand) like on the pass. seat height, rear vents, cheap-feeling material on shifter/steering wheel, hard plastics in the interior/doors, interior ABC pillars, etc.) so that they could include luxury niceties like push-start and the power liftgate all the while keeping the price down to around $40k flat. While comparably equipped cars are priced thousands more. I mean Acura even charges extra for the rear cargo cover that comes standard on the 2013 Honda CR-V. Seriously Acura? Also, like the poster mentioned above, a fully loaded Ford Escape runs $36k. And even a fully loaded Kia Sorrento MSRP's nearly $38K. Can you believe that?
Originally Posted by Sculldog3
Have to say, I'm not sure what the attraction is for many of the tech features like lane departure, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, collision warning, parking sensors, 360 camera, self parking.... all suggest a driver that isn't maybe driving, that can't park a car or gauge distances, doesn't know how to use mirrors or can't be bothered to see if they're about to drive into another vehicle? If this was the size of an Escalade, then maybe the 360 camera would help dock the thing, but the RDX is a pretty tidy package, has the rear camera and tilts down the side mirror when in reverse. Other items like adjustable suspension or rear seat entertainment or reclining rear seats fly in the face of Acura's identified target demographic -- empty nesters and DINKs, no one is going to be spending much time back there or taking the thing to the track. 20's and LEDs...Honda/Acura is staid and conservative. Power folding mirrors?....I'd say the power liftgate was borderline....for the number of times I move the mirrors, I can handle physically doing the honors. Could be me but I think the appeal of the RDX is that it has the features that you need and enjoy day in and day out. Powerful engine and smooth transmission, untouched by others at the same pricepoint, bullet proof engineering and reliability that Cadillac, Audi, BWM and Mercedes will never match, technology that maximizes fuel economy (cylinder deactivation), keeps the cabin quiet (active noise cancellation), the road smooth (dual mode shocks), the driver safe (blue tooth phone and music, voice options), let's you see (HID headlights that rock!), keeps the car on the road (AWD that addresses what 95% of us need while driving on paved roads), etc. Add in the right size, not to small, not to big, and one of the lightest CUV's around that helps on braking and handling. I'll handle all the duties that involve being engaged behind the wheel. My choice then would be the 115 volt outlet, although that is readily addressed with an after market power inverter ... or the big roof.
I would have agreed with everything you've stated about not needing and the uselessness of all the safety tech options before I owned a car with some of them, but eventually came around after actually having some those features in previous cars.

For example, I first thought parking sensors were unnecessary and a waste of money. But after actually using them, it's a pretty interesting feature. Especially when you can creep up on a wall/car or whatever in front/back of you and just go by the beeps. My old car beeped faster as you got closer to a certain point so you knew exactly the right distance and also was adjustable. Also, driving a car with the 360 monitor, it made parking or just plain situation awareness a breeze.

Yes, you can definitely do all these things competently without the need of these tech features, but I think it just adds a bit more convenience and ultimately luxury to the vehicle.

Last edited by Al Bundy; 01-22-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CoachRick
Had to chuckle and make sure I didn't write the beginning of that post.

After 3.4 years and 56K miles in the Volvo XC60 containing many of those above mentioned features, I can say I don't 'miss' any of them. I am happy to have the rear camera and tilt down mirror. I do miss the power folding mirrors as we use them regularly in our own garage(tight fit). What the mirrors REALLY need would be puddle lights. Nice to be able to light up the outside of the vehicle as one approaches in the dark. We've had at least 5 Volvos with that feature. The 'pull the stalk for 30 seconds of headlights' would be a nice feature...don't want that all the time. Don't know what the LED fixation is, either; although I was surprised when I changed a stop light in the Volvo and found it was essentially the same bayonet design as in my vehicles back in the '70s.
I think the LED tail/DRL complaint probably appeals more to the 30 ish or so under demographic that are likely to modify/personalize their vehicles. I've come to this realization after buying my RDX coming from the Infiniti G37 forum. The LED issue is probably the number 1 or 2 complaint on MYG37.com.

For me, LED tails/DRL's and larger wheels would be 1a and 1b on my list of wants behind the pano roof. I personally feel the RDX needs a more aggressive look and larger wheels and LED DRL's/tails would help accomplish that. Everytime I see a new Audi or Benz with LED DRL's, I can't help but stare each time. However, I do agree that not all LED treatments look/work and are not everybody's cup of tea.

I do agree with you on the puddle lamps. Definitely nice to have. I had them on an old Lexus (swapped them out for white LED's) and they helped a great deal at night, especially when it's pitch black. I should have listed them on the poll next to the folding mirrors. Good looking out.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 AM
Instructor

Those parking things are useless imo. I once saw a colleague with a new BMW show me how the parking sensors worked (it was supposed to stop the car on its own before hitting something) and he smashed right into the light pole he was backing up into to show how the feature worked.

hahaha
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by QN52
Those parking things are useless imo. I once saw a colleague with a new BMW show me how the parking sensors worked (it was supposed to stop the car on its own before hitting something) and he smashed right into the light pole he was backing up into to show how the feature worked.

hahaha
I think your friend is a knucklehead for demoing the parking sensors on a pole. Never used it like that. Only larger structures like walls or other cars.

hahaha
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Instructor

should have rear vents on there but i suppose thats such a std feature on so many cars now!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I never really understood these posts....Has anybody ever heard of the term "you get what you pay for"? This car bases at only 35K. (Which is still a $1500 price hike over 2012) If this car had all or some of the features, it would bring the price over 45K easily removing its value equation that makes it so special. The RDX is "built for the size of your life" If your life is "bigger" then get an MDX or a competitor's vehicle for 50K+. Ford needs to option out their Escape because what else do they have going for them? Their reliability is in the dumps, and that disaster they call "my touch" is downright awful. The Santa Fe is a Hyundai. (Enough said) Hyundai is not even up to the standards of Honda, let alone Acura. They need to have the gadgets in their cars to attract one to even look at them. Some uninformed car buyers buy them but the rest of the modern world can see right though the smoke and glass. With that said, rear air vents? Really? I can't believe that didn't make the list. I still don't get that one, lol. There should be another poll with this car with an "Advanced Package" with all of the above features for 45-47K and who would actually cough up the dough when push came to shove. This would bring the car into territory of the Q5, X3, GLK, etc. Though I am a die-hard RDX fan, I don't see myself or many others paying the same price as the Germans.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb 2 most important things for me....

....that would make the RDX a PERFECT vehicle are:

1) Passenger Seat Power Height Adjustment

2) Adpative/Dynamic Radar or Laser Cruise Control (possibly could be offered in an "Advance" trim like they do on MDX etc.)

Personally, I think the Radar cruise control is an UNIMAGINABLY useful item!!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madrye28
I never really understood these posts....Has anybody ever heard of the term "you get what you pay for"? This car bases at only 35K. (Which is still a $1500 price hike over 2012) If this car had all or some of the features, it would bring the price over 45K easily removing its value equation that makes it so special. The RDX is "built for the size of your life" If your life is "bigger" then get an MDX or a competitor's vehicle for 50K+. Ford needs to option out their Escape because what else do they have going for them? Their reliability is in the dumps, and that disaster they call "my touch" is downright awful. The Santa Fe is a Hyundai. (Enough said) Hyundai is not even up to the standards of Honda, let alone Acura. They need to have the gadgets in their cars to attract one to even look at them. Some uninformed car buyers buy them but the rest of the modern world can see right though the smoke and glass. With that said, rear air vents? Really? I can't believe that didn't make the list. I still don't get that one, lol. There should be another poll with this car with an "Advanced Package" with all of the above features for 45-47K and who would actually cough up the dough when push came to shove. This would bring the car into territory of the Q5, X3, GLK, etc. Though I am a die-hard RDX fan, I don't see myself or many others paying the same price as the Germans.
I have to respectfully, but strongly disagree with you. My life is not "bigger" as you mention. I am SINGLE AND can VERY WELL MORE THAN AFFORD to pay for the additional luxuries I want. A large 7-passenger vehicle like an MDX is a huge NEGATIVE for me. I can think of a million negative things of a larger vehicle from parking hassles to manuverability on small city streets. Unfortunately in this country the disgusting notion that bigger automatically equates to better permeates all of society.

That said, a couple of useful state-of-the-art safety and convenience features in an "Advance" trim, like "blind spot monitoring" and Forward collision/Radar cruise control is not too much to ask. And it would not raise the price by more than 2 to 3K at the most.

Acura purports to be on the "cutting edge" of technology and it is incumbent upon them to at least OFFER a higher level trim with the "gadgets" for someone who is able and willing to pay for it. One might even wonder if something is seriously wrong with some of their marketing people. They offer these things on the touring model of their "bread-and-butter" Accord, but choose not even to offer it on their LUXURY brand???

Acura has done some very STUPID things in the past (like the unrefined turbo-4 engine which I would not have touched with a ten-foot barge pole).
However, they seem to be slowly but surely coming to their senses. The introduction of a refined new V6 was a pleasant SHOCK to me!! (hint : luxury buyers want a ultra-refined, super quiet, high-low-end-torque engine with a linear-refined-power-delivery, in a so called "upscale" vehicle and not a "ricey" tractor-sounding "rubber-band-like-power-delivery 4-banger) They seem to have gotten the hint (better late than never).

Now, to be perfectly honest the shortcomings I mention above would not be deal-breakers, but it certainly would be nice to at least have the choice of opting for them. Considering their current path, I believe that they will likely offer these things probably in the next model year or two.

Last edited by vicpai; 01-26-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Pro

Getting back to the LED rear lighting; the more I see them, the more they look like cheapie attempts at 'style'. The XC60 has great tail-lights, IMO; but many of the 'dotted doo-dad' tail-light designs out there just look cheesy.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi Vicpai,

You probably already know this but the V6 in the RDX is not "NEW", they pulled it off the Honda van and refined it a little bit for the RDX.

A new V6 would have a Direct Fuel Injection Technology - now that is new .

All said, the V6 purrrrrr just fine in the RDX.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vicpai
....that would make the RDX a PERFECT vehicle are:

2) Adpative/Dynamic Radar or Laser Cruise Control (possibly could be offered in an "Advance" trim like they do on MDX etc.)

Personally, I think the Radar cruise control is an UNIMAGINABLY useful item!!
I agree. I've never used one before, but the concept is very desirable to me. I hate having to constantly change cruise control speeds on long trips. I wouldn't use it every day, but when I have to travel for work, it would be a major plus.

Last edited by blSwagger; 01-26-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vicpai
I have to respectfully, but strongly disagree with you. My life is not "bigger" as you mention. I am SINGLE AND can VERY WELL MORE THAN AFFORD to pay for the additional luxuries I want. A large 7-passenger vehicle like an MDX is a huge NEGATIVE for me. I can think of a million negative things of a larger vehicle from parking hassles to manuverability on small city streets. Unfortunately in this country the disgusting notion that bigger automatically equates to better permeates all of society.

That said, a couple of useful state-of-the-art safety and convenience features in an "Advance" trim, like "blind spot monitoring" and Forward collision/Radar cruise control is not too much to ask. And it would not raise the price by more than 2 to 3K at the most.

Acura purports to be on the "cutting edge" of technology and it is incumbent upon them to at least OFFER a higher level trim with the "gadgets" for someone who is able and willing to pay for it. One might even wonder if something is seriously wrong with some of their marketing people. They offer these things on the touring model of their "bread-and-butter" Accord, but choose not even to offer it on their LUXURY brand???

Acura has done some very STUPID things in the past (like the unrefined turbo-4 engine which I would not have touched with a ten-foot barge pole).
However, they seem to be slowly but surely coming to their senses. The introduction of a refined new V6 was a pleasant SHOCK to me!! (hint : luxury buyers want a ultra-refined, super quiet, high-low-end-torque engine with a linear-refined-power-delivery, in a so called "upscale" vehicle and not a "ricey" tractor-sounding "rubber-band-like-power-delivery 4-banger) They seem to have gotten the hint (better late than never).

Now, to be perfectly honest the shortcomings I mention above would not be deal-breakers, but it certainly would be nice to at least have the choice of opting for them. Considering their current path, I believe that they will likely offer these things probably in the next model year or two.
I get what you're saying, especially given the new Accord Touring has many standard features that the RDX does not have, etc. I can agree with that. I just wouldn't hold my breath. They want to keep the price down on this car for it to be the "Value" winner of this segment, i.e. fully loaded at 40K. That is where their marketing team chose to max out the price of this car at. Plus, most people, maybe not you personally, but the general public, will say to themselves, "For that price, I'll just get an MDX" Its a better car with better AWD, and similar gas mileage (2014 model projected EPA) and I'll just keep it optioned low. (Let's just agree to disagree) I do agree, however, that over the next few model years that some of these features will slowly make their way into the vehicle as they become more mainstream and expected. When I turn in my car in 3 years, I expect it to have more features in order for me to get another after my lease is up.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 Acura led the pack with must have things that you could dream about in other car for the price. Acura just vacated where Hyundai is in their last generation cars. Some may ever say they have caught and passed Acura

Hyundai/Kia combined is still playing caught up to honda but moved ahead in world sales in 2012. Hyundai alone is 4 spots behind Honda in world sales.

They have used lots of bell and whistles to get where they are and it has worked for the most part. I love my 2006 TL but wouldn't go out on the limb about how far ahead honda is ahead of Hyundai/Kia. Acura is still many ways considered mid-lux. Still nothing to toot its horn about especially since it can't seem to make a flagship car people would consider buying in descent numbers.

This is not a knock in anyway on the RDX, but lets keep it within focus
The last generation Escape help its own against the CRV and in many way now compete with another Ford now smaller, Edge.

"Misinformed buyer" the Kia Sorento has fooled quiet a few buyers, and so will the Santa Fe if capacity doesn't get in the way.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I get what you're saying, especially given the new Accord Touring has many standard features that the RDX does not have, etc. I can agree with that. I just wouldn't hold my breath. They want to keep the price down on this car for it to be the "Value" winner of this segment, i.e. fully loaded at 40K. That is where their marketing team chose to max out the price of this car at. Plus, most people, maybe not you personally, but the general public, will say to themselves, "For that price, I'll just get an MDX" Its a better car with better AWD, and similar gas mileage (2014 model projected EPA) and I'll just keep it optioned low. (Let's just agree to disagree) I do agree, however, that over the next few model years that some of these features will slowly make their way into the vehicle as they become more mainstream and expected. When I turn in my car in 3 years, I expect it to have more features in order for me to get another after my lease is up.
Yes the loaded Accord touring at 36k is pretty impressive. The bar is now sat very high for Acura. Its definately on my list as a replacement vehicle for my Chevy Equinox.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Advanced

It looks like the just announced next gen 2014 Acura MDX as well as the new Acura RLX both will have Acura's "Jewel Eye" LED's. I wouldn't be surprised Acura incorporates the LED treatment eventually to rest of their product line, including the RDX, probably when it's due for a refresh in 2015 or 2016.

I think it's about time since the majority of the luxury car brands like Audi, Benz, and Lexus are incorporating LED DRL's into their cars. I just read that Infiniti will also add it to their Q50 (G37 replacement) next year.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...ROIT/130119899
The following users liked this post:
RDXinNETX (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found Front/Rear Parking Sensors and Blind Spot Monitoring System to be two of the most important safety features missing from the new RDX.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Rear AC vents. Without that, I would not even consider it especially for an Acura. It's kinda embarrassing actually. I expect all cars (except maybe econo boxes) to have this feature.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by de-pro
I found Front/Rear Parking Sensors and Blind Spot Monitoring System to be two of the most important safety features missing from the new RDX.
Hmmm...I had BLIS for 3.4 years and never really used it. In six months in the RDX, I don't miss it one bit.

No offense, but calling a parking sensor a 'safety feature' is a little disconcerting.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

it is for the safety of your rear bumper

No offense, but calling a parking sensor a 'safety feature' is a little disconcerting.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by de-pro
it is for the safety of your rear bumper
Touche'
Actually, if you try hard enough, you can back into a pole or mailbox post without setting off the sensor. Same for backing over a curbstone or similar. Love the camera, don't really care about the sensor.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Ditto
Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by honda_nut
Rear AC vents. Without that, I would not even consider it especially for an Acura. It's kinda embarrassing actually. I expect all cars (except maybe econo boxes) to have this feature.
Many more cars than you think still don't have this feature. A nearly $60k Mustang GT500 doesn't have this...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Al Bundy
It looks like the just announced next gen 2014 Acura MDX as well as the new Acura RLX both will have Acura's "Jewel Eye" LED's. I wouldn't be surprised Acura incorporates the LED treatment eventually to rest of their product line, including the RDX, probably when it's due for a refresh in 2015 or 2016.

I think it's about time since the majority of the luxury car brands like Audi, Benz, and Lexus are incorporating LED DRL's into their cars. I just read that Infiniti will also add it to their Q50 (G37 replacement) next year.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...ROIT/130119899
I don't like the LED DRL. I think they look ugly, my opinion. It is imitation of Audi that started this a few years back. The other issue is that Acura and Honda should offer an on off switch for their DRLS, like Lexus/Toyota does. In an Acura/honda you can defeat the DRLS by pulling the fuse at least. There are certain times you don't want DRLS on. They are not a law in many places. Some places they are.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Instructor

The RDX AWD with Nav is $40k, the MDX with NAV is $47k. The gas mileage (2013 EPA) is far worse on the MDX. 21 vs 27 highway, hug diff. Performance the RDX is faster than the MDX. Sorry, but define better car? in my test driving the MDX is larger and doesn't handle/drive as well. The 3rd row is a joke on the MDX, there is very little room behind it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by danmangto
I don't like the LED DRL. I think they look ugly, my opinion. It is imitation of Audi that started this a few years back. The other issue is that Acura and Honda should offer an on off switch for their DRLS, like Lexus/Toyota does. In an Acura/honda you can defeat the DRLS by pulling the fuse at least. There are certain times you don't want DRLS on. They are not a law in many places. Some places they are.

For me, it all depends to me on the type of LED DRL. If it's the spaced "pearl necklace" type that you see on cars like the Kia Sorrento or even the Lexus IS, then yes, the look is off. But when it's a thin strip of light (which it seems more cars are going to on cars like the new Hyundai Santa Fe or the announced new 2014 Infiniti Q50), it sets off the vehicle. I also like the how Mercedes has their LED DRL's in place of where they used to have their fog lights. The redesigned 2014 MDX will have this type of setup. Ultimately, I think some vehicles get it right and some don't.

However, like it or not, LED DRL's will be on more and more cars as time progresses moving forward. I personally think the RDX needs LED DRL's badly. The dirty yellow halogen DRL's on our cars aren't cutting it. I've already pulled the fuse on mine....
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Once Again Al Get's It Done

Brother Al like mis amigos CoachR, WX & COguyAFret'd you nailed it w/ your assessment of the current state of LED DRLs that are done right. I also appreciate the reminder to disable my fugly yellow DRL fuse.

Rock on brother & keep preaching the faith to the unwashed masses.
Al Bundy (03-21-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish the poll had one additional selection: No additional luxury accessory missing...
Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Odd no one mentioned rain-sensing wipers. After all, many other Acura products have them. I can certainly do without them myself, since they seem to need some "help" from time to time anyway.

I wish the RDX had some basic stuff like passenger seat height adjustment and rear AC vents, but when it comes to more "luxury" stuff, I'm in favor of power tilt-away steering wheel, heated steering wheel, air-conditioned seats, and proximity sensors.

You can keep your adaptive cruise control and annoying lane departure warning.

That said, the RDX is a nice compromise between the good stuff and a reasonable price point. How about making some of these things options?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

I think it is a major omission on the base model not to have fog lamps as standard. At $34,000 it appears to be the only vehicle at that price range without them being included. I note that the Honda CRV, mid range model has them as standard at $25,000. I see plenty of cars and SUV's as low as $18,000 with them. And to get them added on at the dealer involves a ridiculous amount of labor...the entire bumper assembly needs to be removed along with a lot of other parts.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 PM
10th Gear

I think that the biggest omission is not having a high end speaker/stereo system installed at the base level. My old 2003 Toyota 4Runner had a JBL system that was better than what's in my base RDX.
bigwavedave (06-05-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DeMAN
Yes the loaded Accord touring at 36k is pretty impressive. The bar is now sat very high for Acura. Its definately on my list as a replacement vehicle for my Chevy Equinox.
Not sure if your talking about Canada, but the Accord touring loaded up here in the States tops out at $32-33k, not $36k. That's a big difference.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't believe so many people want blind spot monitoring. Just look over your should before you make a move like one does on a motorcycle
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Maybe for 2015 they will have the base, tech, and then a new advanced version.

The base can be as it is now (with minor performance improvements). - maybe $200-500 more
The Tech will be similar to tech now with the upgraded headlights and daytime running lights. - maybe $200 - 500 more than current tech
The advanced can include all the other bells and whistles that the Audi's, Lexus', and Mercedes' offer (basically all the items listed above including the bigger tires). Can also throw in 10 free oil changes and other required maintenance services for the 1st 2-3 years. - maybe $1500-3000 more than tech version.

Also think they should create a hybrid version with the Accord Hybrid engine (may be the same as the ILX hybrid is using)