VCMuzzler II Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
VCMuzzler II Experience?

Has anyone installed the VCMuzzler II to their RDX and can report the pros and cons to the system?

Im not sure how damaging cylinder deactivation is to the engine. But if I can prevent any vibration damage, or oil loss by giving up roughly 1 mpg fuel saving then it may be worth it.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Really...? No one has any experience with this on their RDX? I've seen this on the forums for the Accord, Odyssey, Pilot, and Ridgeline. No attempts on the RDX?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Perhaps Acura has improved the system? I can't even feel when the VCM kicks in/out. The device you're asking about may be a solution in search of a problem, at least for the RDX.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
princelybug (03-05-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
I've driven a Pilot ('14) with the VCM issues, and could understand why the "muzzler" would have value. But living with a '15 RDX for 2 years and almost 19k miles so far, I've never encountered any issues similar to what the Pilot did for my limited driving times. So I don't really see the value for adding this to the RDX.....

andy
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
The Acura version of VCM is pretty good. The transition from 6,4, to 3 is very smooth. Who knows how it will age but 5 years and 70k later, it's still good.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by musty hustla
The Acura version of VCM is pretty good. The transition from 6,4, to 3 is very smooth. Who knows how it will age but 5 years and 70k later, it's still good.
Is it that we have a better (Acura version) of the VCM? Or that we have better (Acura priced) adaptive engine mounts so it feels smoother. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'd rather not have to deal with replacing some expensive engine mounts in the future and potentially shorten the life of the engine.
Only time will tell. On a side note I use to have a 2013 RDX and could definetly tell when the VCM kicked in, very noticeable vibration. I now own a 2017 and can hardly feel any changes. Wonder what upgrades they added or what settings changed over the two versions. I'm aware they changed from 6,4, to 3 on the 13-15s to 6 to 3 on the 16-17s.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by alexderaven
Is it that we have a better (Acura version) of the VCM? Or that we have better (Acura priced) adaptive engine mounts so it feels smoother. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'd rather not have to deal with replacing some expensive engine mounts in the future and potentially shorten the life of the engine.
Only time will tell. On a side note I use to have a 2013 RDX and could definetly tell when the VCM kicked in, very noticeable vibration. I now own a 2017 and can hardly feel any changes. Wonder what upgrades they added or what settings changed over the two versions. I'm aware they changed from 6,4, to 3 on the 13-15s to 6 to 3 on the 16-17s.
Great to hear that Acura has reduced the VCM-linked vibration in RDXs. I had to ditch my 2013 FWD RDX because of 2 reasons: VCM vibration and bad [apparently unfixable] highway vibration (that could or could not be related to the VCM; I did not wait to find out); there were several things that I did not like in this vehicle but that I could live with, but these 2 vibrations were too much ...
Old 03-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by alexderaven
Strange, because we have both the 14 and 17 and I never notice the cylinder deactivation / activation. The 17 seems smoother, but that may be an age thing.