Tire pressures for snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Tire pressures for snow

Looks like we池e in for a pretty decent snow storm hitting this Thursday in the Northeast. I値l be out and about in it with my RDX. Still gotta go to work! So, I知 curious, does anyone adjust their tire pressures for better snow performance? I believe running tire pressures higher will give better cut and grip in the snow. Others think decreasing pressure improves available traction. What do you think?

And yes, I know dedicated snows are the best way to go but I知 really pointing this inquiry to those running all-seasons, all season.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Definitely higher pressures are better than lower pressures.

The increased pressure will reduce the size of the contact patch that the tire makes with the ground. That sounds like a bad thing, but in reality it causes the tire to sink deeper into the snow and actually make contact with the road. A tire with low pressure will increase it's footprint and act like a set of snowshoes keeping the vehicle floating on top of the layer of snow.

A tire with higher pressure also spreads out the tread blocks, so that snow trapped in the blocks can be more easily thrown out by centrifugal force as the tire rotates. When that part of the tire once again touches the ground it can get a better bite on the snow.

The optimum tire pressure is more trial and error. I am running 37 PSI with dedicated winter tires, and it produces a mildly jarring ride. I think if I had standard all-season tires I might go even higher and sacrifice ride quality for safety.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Another vote for higher pressures in snow for all the above aforementioned reasons. Lowering tire pressure makes your RDX better in the sand though.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:33 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Plenty of good info here. I actually thought low pressure was better for snow. Now I know the right answer. Thanks.