Thinking of buying..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We availed of that 1K financing promo (goes towards downpayment) for financing, last month. Do get Costco pricing but as we found out some dealers gave us much better deals than that pricing. Do keep us posted.
The following 2 users liked this post by kst123:
AuburnCa (12-09-2016), CanTex (11-24-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 07:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for the RDX! I put the back seats down and my pups absolutely love the whole back area. It's a great all around vehicle, very comfortable and stretch out roomy! I can't imagine having both stuck in our is250.
The following users liked this post:
AuburnCa (12-09-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Comfy; yes it seems that the LED fog lights are a must!!

Dobbiewah and KST123; all the dealer's I've called have said there are no incentives including financing incentives. grrrrr.

BUT.. I did get a quote from the Serramonte dealer for $40,000 + T&L. And.. the Elk Grove dealer (closer to me and they have the red, which is what I'm leaning towards), said they'd honor that price.
That's lower than the Costco 42,516 ($100 over invoice) deal. Those don't include the LED headlights. I wonder if it's better to have them installed elsewhere after purchase?

Taking a little break from car shopping. My mother-in-law is ill and we are heading up north to help her. Maybe there will be more deals in January.
Stay tuned.......
Old 11-21-2016, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
That $40k price sounds sweet...especially if they have the color you want....with my $1k incentive, your deal is still better....

Keep us informed!

Good Luck and hope for the best for the M-I-L!
AuburnCa (12-09-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by AuburnCa
Comfy; yes it seems that the LED fog lights are a must!!

Dobbiewah and KST123; all the dealer's I've called have said there are no incentives including financing incentives. grrrrr.

BUT.. I did get a quote from the Serramonte dealer for $40,000 + T&L. And.. the Elk Grove dealer (closer to me and they have the red, which is what I'm leaning towards), said they'd honor that price.
That's lower than the Costco 42,516 ($100 over invoice) deal. Those don't include the LED headlights. I wonder if it's better to have them installed elsewhere after purchase?

Taking a little break from car shopping. My mother-in-law is ill and we are heading up north to help her. Maybe there will be more deals in January.
Stay tuned.......
As previously mentioned the fog lights are really more of an aesthetic feature than a true must have. You can buy replacement LED H11 bulbs and put them in the stock units(for less than $20) which match the headlights perfectly rather than spending 500 bucks for the OEM LEDs. You can install the OEM units yourself if you simply must have them.
AuburnCa (12-09-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I put in the Morimoto fogs. But, I was anal about putting in LED lighting everywhere I could. I have never used the fogs and had them on just to see that they worked.
AuburnCa (12-09-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I drove yet another one yesterday from the same place and... it didn't shake - yeah!! So it must be the tires even though it didn't feel like it in the others.

I am now leaning towards getting the RDX. There are still a few considerations. I'm not sure if I should post a new thread, but I'll just continue here. Admins; please let me know if I should move it.

RDX vs Lexus NX:

Pros: bigger engine. V6 vs V4 w/ Turbo. We drive in the hills a lot.
More room: Lexus doesn't have a lot of cargo space relatively speaking and I like to be able to fit my (small) bike in the car or pack it fully when we go on trips.
Navigation screen is recessed. Lexus's is out in the open and hence get's glare in the sun.

Cons: Side mirrors: these rotate down when backing but only one at a time vs both. Our driveway is steep and it's easier for me to use my mirrors rather than the rear view camera to make sure I don't hit the house or my husband's car.
Seats: Lexus sport seats are more comfortable and fit me really well. Have you found they get softer as time goes by? This is a pretty big issue.
Lights: the LED lights don't rotate when you go around a curve, do they? How about the optional LED fog lights?
Steering wheel: this is minor, but irritating that it's not a power telescoping wheel.

Looks: I didn't like the Lexus NX Fsport at first, but it's starting to grow on me. The Acura looks nice but unremarkable. This isn't that big of an issue though.
Lastly, is there anything else that I need to know about the RDX that you haven't liked in yours?

Again, thank you in advance. It helps to have this forum here for such a big decision!!
If it is on your radar...insurance costs and maintenance were higher on all the Lexus models that I was comparing against the RDX.
AuburnCa (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

I'm back! At least for a little while. And I've driven the Acura a couple of more times and also sat again in the Lexus Nx AND drove the Audi Q5. The Q5 is a beautiful car but the price is more than the Acura and that's the one without all the bells and whistles. The model that does have everything is way out of my price range and it still doesn't have all of the technology. I also hate the idea of how much it would cost to maintain. So the Audi is out. Then I sat in the Lexus and went across the street and sat in the Acura. The Acura has won out. The Lexus is really small, but more importantly, the visibility for me is not nearly as great as the Acura. Honestly, the Acura is much more like my 2005 Lexus RX330, and I love that car.

Ok, so I'm going to buy the Acura RDX!!!
BUT... then my dear husband showed me a picture of the upcoming 2018 RDX. Looks like there will be quite a few changes.
Does anyone have an opinion about this? (I know you do!) Would you buy today or hold out for the 2018?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:03 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
I'm back! At least for a little while. And I've driven the Acura a couple of more times and also sat again in the Lexus Nx AND drove the Audi Q5. The Q5 is a beautiful car but the price is more than the Acura and that's the one without all the bells and whistles. The model that does have everything is way out of my price range and it still doesn't have all of the technology. I also hate the idea of how much it would cost to maintain. So the Audi is out. Then I sat in the Lexus and went across the street and sat in the Acura. The Acura has won out. The Lexus is really small, but more importantly, the visibility for me is not nearly as great as the Acura. Honestly, the Acura is much more like my 2005 Lexus RX330, and I love that car.

BUT... then my dear husband showed me a picture of the upcoming 2018 RDX. Looks like there will be quite a few changes.
Does anyone have an opinion about this? (I know you do!) Would you buy today or hold out for the 2018?

Thanks!
If you can wait, why not? Then you can either get the 2017 at lower price or grab the 2018 at today's price. It's probably a half year wait.
AuburnCa (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks!
The 2nd gen RDX is pretty long-in-the tooth, almost 6 years old at this at this point. I would wait, or else look for a good deal on a CPO 2013-16 and save thousands, and bump up in 2-3 years. This is likely to prove a very reliable car. The 2017 is still a great car and ya, you could probably get good deals.
AuburnCa (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:52 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Glad that you've decided on the RDX after looking at the competition (like we all did....nothing makes as much sense as an Acura at that price point). Now if you really like the latest and greatest you should wait for the next year model to be released. You should see it and decide if you want to buy it at dealer's price (without any incentives) or get the current RDX with big discounts. If I were you I would wait, this would avoid any potential buyer's remorse you may have with the new car buy. If you are spending 40 grand, why not get the best which will stay new for longer time and will have potentially better technology. Remember you are buying a car for the next ten years or so (unless you like leasing or switching cars).
Did you say you saw the picture of the new RDX...? I think I missed that somehow. In case anyone has a link can you add it please. Thanks.
AuburnCa (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Ugh.. yes that's what I thought. I've been looking for so long my family is laughing at me now, for being so indecisive. They're gonna love this :P
Old 12-10-2016, 08:43 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
My advise is that if you really "need" a car now, then you can rent it for the time being. A monthly rental for a midsize car / SUV will be about the same monthly premiums if you were buying. But you have the flexibility to stop anytime you want compared to leasing. Some dealers will allow you to break leases but you end up losing a lot of money anyway. The other advantage of renting is that you can switch to different cars of the same class every month and try out all the competition available. I found it very useful when I had to rent a car for few months. If your already have a car which you are planning to trade in , then keep chugging along for some more time. In my experience, once you have a desire to buy a car and you have the money/ resources, people generally find it very hard to postpone it and end up buying whatever is available at that time. Yes most people are somewhat impulsive while buying cars. So make an excuse to yourself / family that you are short of money and need to postpone it for a year or so. . Good luck.
AuburnCa (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Ugh.. yes that's what I thought. I've been looking for so long my family is laughing at me now, for being so indecisive. They're gonna love this :P
We're getting real close ourselves. We're selling our '13 RDX Tech to my son as his '08 BMW 328i is this close to $6K to $10K worth of engine work. He's off to CarMax to dump it next weekend.

in our case my wife likes the current RDX for familiarity, no surprises, no further learning required. I'm trying to get her out to drive the Buick Envision because they're offering 16% off MSRP on '16 models, and just sitting in one at the Fort Worth Auto Show with a sales consultant I can see it checks every box on my list. But it's a Buick. (I told my sons when they were teenagers that if I ever came home in a Buick it was basically all over for me and they should just take me out behind the barn and shoot me.)

On the NX, it just felt small and the smaller cargo area isn't helping. Aside from the styling, the major turnoff is that Corolla parts bin cruise control stalk. Hate that thing. Had it in our '07 RX350. When I wanted to Resume it would Cancel, and on and on.

So the '17 RDX Advance it will likely be, same black over parchment. Year end pricing is dropping it under invoice, and there's the $750 incentive to get the Honda Financial loan (we'd get it and pay if off at the minimum three months).
AuburnCa (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The re-designed RDX will more than likely have more features. That being said, until you find out what engine/trans combo it has, I would hold out buying a '17, and keep it in your back pocket as a backup, if you want the latest. When we were looking and found out the RDX was being re-designed for either '18 or '19, I looked further and saw much speculation about a small turbo 4 with a CVT, like the new CRV has. One of our tipping points in getting the '17 was the V6-A/T 6 spd combo. I heard Honda is phasing out the V6 from the Accord (similar, if not same V6), too. I've heard some good comments about the new 1.5 turbo in the CRV; however, would not personally want that size turbo and neither my wife nor I like CVT transmissions very much.

Now, if Acura comes out with their own performance turbo in the RDX that does the job (like a 2.5 or so....), and it had decent power mapping (small SUVish, not race car-ish), that could be interesting. It would, however, be a first year model, too. We bought a first year '17 Ridgeline, however, it was the Pilot engine/trans combo that had been around and was proven, so I wasn't really worried about first year issues... The current RDX has quite the proven powertrain.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.
AuburnCa (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Pro

OP, you seem committed to buying new. Looks like you are from No. Cal. There are many great deals on CPO RDXs around this area. Top of the line units with around 30K miles that are stickered 12-17K off the new car price. You could give it a try still under warranty while letting someone else take the depreciation hit.

If you are committed to the V6 and the 2018 offers a powertrain that you don't like, there will still be no shortage of high quality used 2016-17 RDXs out there.
AuburnCa (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. I agree with you all.

I don't have to have a car right this minute. And... there are not any incentives this month for financing or anything else for that matter so there's no reason to hurry. The best price I had offered was $40,300.
I'm a little disappointed just because I've spent so much time making this decision. BUT... I really want the latest and the greatest, if it works for me. I'd hate to get the 2017 only to find out that I like the 2018 better in just a few months!

One of the reasons I chose RDX over the others is due to the V6. If they change that, I will have to weigh closely what the other changes are so see if it's worth it.
If I like the new 2018 then I'll pay full price for it when it arrives (it still won't be more than the Audi!) and if not, then there still should be some 2017's w/ AWD, Advanced package that I can get at a deal, just maybe not in the color that I want.

CanTex.... enjoy your new car! When are you getting it?!
Old 12-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks everyone. I agree with you all.

I don't have to have a car right this minute. And... there are not any incentives this month for financing or anything else for that matter so there's no reason to hurry. The best price I had offered was $40,300.
I'm a little disappointed just because I've spent so much time making this decision. BUT... I really want the latest and the greatest, if it works for me. I'd hate to get the 2017 only to find out that I like the 2018 better in just a few months!

One of the reasons I chose RDX over the others is due to the V6. If they change that, I will have to weigh closely what the other changes are so see if it's worth it.
If I like the new 2018 then I'll pay full price for it when it arrives (it still won't be more than the Audi!) and if not, then there still should be some 2017's w/ AWD, Advanced package that I can get at a deal, just maybe not in the color that I want.

CanTex.... enjoy your new car! When are you getting it?!
Before Christmas, once my son writes me a check for the '13. With all this talk about Acura getting rid of the V6 and 6-spd for a 4 with that much-revered (Ha!) 9-spd, it is to our adavantage to go with the '17. It's hard to beat the smoothness and reassured acceleration of the V6. Plus that familiarity thing for my wife, who will be the primary driver.

As to the thought of renting a car, it's too long a wait for the '18s and since we summer in Canada, car rental companies take a dim view of taking their cars across the border for extended periods.

We've been retired for a while and are at an age where we need all the nanny systems we can get, so the Advance it will be.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CanTex
Before Christmas, once my son writes me a check for the '13. With all this talk about Acura getting rid of the V6 and 6-spd for a 4 with that much-revered (Ha!) 9-spd, it is to our adavantage to go with the '17. It's hard to beat the smoothness and reassured acceleration of the V6. Plus that familiarity thing for my wife, who will be the primary driver.

As to the thought of renting a car, it's too long a wait for the '18s and since we summer in Canada, car rental companies take a dim view of taking their cars across the border for extended periods.

We've been retired for a while and are at an age where we need all the nanny systems we can get, so the Advance it will be.
I'm not at that age, but still need all the nanny systems I can get too!
Enjoy your new car!
Old 12-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Pro

IF Acura moves to a Turbo I4 drive train, I'm going to trust that they will get it right. Acura seems pretty committed to solid HP/TQ in their SUV line-up, so I would watch for one with a few more, or similar HP to the current V6, but with more TQ. Hopefully with all important smooth power delivery. They will want the power train to be distinctive enough that people don't settle for the CRV. And I'm really hoping they bring back some of the fun factor - enough to make me give up my 1G.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kaputnik:
AuburnCa (12-13-2016), Comfy (12-13-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The V6 was the major factor in my decision to buy the RDX. The CRV, RAV4, Mazda, etc. just did not cut it. They ever monkey with that and they lose me for next time.
AuburnCa (12-13-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dirleton
The V6 was the major factor in my decision to buy the RDX. The CRV, RAV4, Mazda, etc. just did not cut it. They ever monkey with that and they lose me for next time.
I, like others suspect they may monkey with it. But it should be in a separate league than the cars you listed above. It better be. The 1G turbo to this day is way ahead of those.

I don't care what power train they use as long as they do it well. For me, Acura has to make it fun again to take the plunge

Last edited by Kaputnik; 12-11-2016 at 08:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kaputnik:
AuburnCa (12-13-2016), Comfy (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I, like others suspect they may monkey with it. But it should be in a separate league than the cars you listed above. It better be. The 1G turbo to this day is way ahead of those.

I don't care what power train they use as long as they do it well. For me, Acura has to make it fun again to take the plunge
I give Acura props on the 1G 2.3T. Yes it only had 240hp and 260lb/ft but it really was a modern piece of engineering and IMHO there is little to no lag at all. It still competes favourably to the modern turbos coming out of ford,audi, and the koreans in terms of power.
AuburnCa (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Hello,

I am currently car shopping and have narrowed my choices to the Acura RDX Advance (2016 or 2017) or the Lexus NX Fsport.

One of the things we noticed when we test drove the RDX is that it shakes on the freeway. This happened at both test drives, the salesman said he didn't feel it (huh?). It was two different cars, not the same one so we are a little concerned about going with the RDX. I haven't found anything on it online so thought I'd ask here. Have any of you had this occur with your RDX?

Thanks in advance!
Some dealers are terrible at playing with air pressure--for various reasons. I've picked up new cars with as much as eight pounds of air pressure variance among the four tires.
AuburnCa (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes...V6

Originally Posted by dirleton
So true about the V6. It was a key factor for me as well, and I didn't remember until I caught up on reading this thread.

I had a beefy LR3, V8...monster of a truck and oh-so-capable, but oyvay...the cost to maintain...not repair! maintain!...killed my enjoyment of the truck. I like fixing things, but I never wanted to take a chance with the LR3. Then, to balance out my carbon footprint, I purchased a Prius. A Prius is great on many levels, but the space in my head that owning one took up - constantly monitoring both engines - was exhausting. Priuses are a different kind of car ownership. Not to mention that the high voltage battery is one of the costliest necessities to plan for (because all batteries die) ... that was too complicated for me. I sold both and got a CRV, not expecting the 4-cyl to be a big issue. Four months later, I started putting a lot of thought and research into what I really wanted and what I really needed and struck a compromise between the two lists. But in the top 5 was V6.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
If you can afford them, my advice is that you look at the BMW X3 (MUSTs are: driver assistance pkg, lightning pkg and premium pkg) or Audi Q5

PS: I owned a 2013 RDX tech for 2 years and ditched it for innumerable problems
Old 12-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by colt427
Never experienced any shaking.
I dont know about recent models but I owned a 2013 model that was