Rust on brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rust on brake rotors

My 2014 RDX has rust on the rotors (non-pad contact areas obviously). The first car to do this. Eventually, the rotors and holders will disintegrate. Anyone else with this rust?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
LOL, seriously?

Every. Single. Stock. Car. Has. This.

Brakes will eventually disintegrate? Yes, I'm sure the 3/8" thick iron will rust away in no time

sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, but like I said, every car has this happen. It's totally and completely normal. You can avoid it by buying aftermarket rotors that have the hub powder coated.. It looks good and keeps the rust away, but manufacturers don't do this because it isn't necessary, in terms of reliability or longevity, by any stretch.

If you think the brakes look bad, you won't want to look at your suspension arms. Eventually they'll be thoroughly covered in rust. Unless you're willing to powder coat your suspension and hardware, there's nothing you can do.

honestly, for the brakes to disintegrate, it'll take at least 60 years, and that's in a heavy moisture and salt exposed area of the country. You have nothing to worry about, I assure you!

if you want to keep things looking good, consider painting your brakes with high temp paint, or powder coating them (powder coating isn't cheap though).

best of luck and happy AZ browsing!

Last edited by TacoBello; 07-27-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBello
LOL, seriously?

Brakes will eventually disintegrate? Yes, I'm sure the 3/8" thick iron will rust away in no time

sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, but like I said, every car has this happen. It's totally and completely normal. You can avoid it by buying aftermarket rotors that have the hub powder coated.. It looks good and keeps the rust away, but manufacturers don't do this because it isn't necessary, in terms of reliability or longevity, by any stretch.

If you think the brakes look bad, you won't want to look at your suspension arms. Eventually they'll be thoroughly covered in rust. Unless you're willing to powder coat your suspension and hardware, there's nothing you can do.

honestly, for the brakes to disintegrate, it'll take at least 60 years, and that's in a heavy moisture and salt exposed area of the country. You have nothing to worry about, I assure you!

if you want to keep things looking good, consider painting your brakes with high temp paint, or powder coating them (powder coating isn't cheap though).
:Every. Single. Stock. Car. Has. This."

Nope. not. my. first. rodeo.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Team Owner

Where do you live? Like what state and/or city? That will have an effect.

This same topic has come up several times, recently, on AZ. I assure you, this is completely normal.

Manufacturers use cast iron for suspension and brake components, because it's cheap. While it may start looking ugly sooner than later, it will never lose it's functionality. I'm curious what other brands you've owned in the past. Maybe some higher end brands do coat their bits and pieces, but from the half dozen various Honda/Acura products I've owned, plus the easily 40+ Honda/Acura products friends and family have owned, this is completely normal and I've never come across either Honda or Acura coating their bits. The more we know about where you live (not your address, of course ), what you've driven, how new/old each vehicle was, the more accurate answer we can provide back.

Last edited by TacoBello; 07-27-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

It really just is surface rust. Over years, it starts to penetrate deeper, but you'll never suffer failure. I've driven the living hell out of 20 year old Hondas, that were rusted to death (with sweet, modded engines ), and never suffered a failure. I know of no one who has either. Otherwise, it'd be common place for old suspension bits to replaced eventually, but many people will roll on the same ones for the life of the car.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
me too

I have this also. I dont drive every day, so the car is static, sometimes 4-6 days in a row, most weeks.
I thought the lack of usage, was the primary reason that I see this. Mostly on the rear rotors

Originally Posted by gamini
My 2014 RDX has rust on the rotors (non-pad contact areas obviously). The first car to do this. Eventually, the rotors and holders will disintegrate. Anyone else with this rust?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by gamini
:Every. Single. Stock. Car. Has. This."

Nope. not. my. first. rodeo.
Yes, every single car made. All it takes is a car wash or a wet night to form.

Some wheels will show the rotors more so the rust is more visible but you can bet your last dime that ALL of your previous cars had this - you just didn't notice it.

If you don't believe that then you fall into one of the categories below.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
LOL, seriously?

best of luck and happy AZ browsing!
I am strongly considering some form of powder coating or high temp paint for my next vehicle. I know that the rust is completely surface rust and will not effect anything, but I am just that anal. I am that guy who owns a pressure washer and will wash his car every second day....
Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Yes, every single car made. All it takes is a car wash or a wet night to form.

Some wheels will show the rotors more so the rust is more visible but you can bet your last dime that ALL of your previous cars had this - you just didn't notice it.
If you don't believe that then you fall into one of the categories below.
I think the OP is right in noticing that the rust appears more on Acura than other premium cars. In fact I just conpared it with a Mercedes E class which has almost no rust at all (talking about the non contact areas) but the RDX has thick rust on the edges. Both cars are of similar age and use. It's a cosmetic issue for sure and could be addressed by one of the above mentioned measures. Mercedes surely uses a higher quality whatever so that there is hardly any rust at all.

Last edited by Comfy; 07-27-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:58 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
what are rotors made out of!?

IRON!

what is IRON susceptible of doing? Rusting! Ding Ding Ding Ding DING!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
These are right after a fresh wash

aftermarket rotors stoptech blanks

aftermarket rotors, stoptech slotted
Old 07-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
I think the OP is right in noticing that the rust appears more on Acura than other premium cars. In fact I just conpared it with a Mercedes E class which has almost no rust at all (talking about the non contact areas) but the RDX has thick rust on the edges. Both cars are of similar age and use. It's a cosmetic issue for sure and could be addressed by one of the above mentioned measures. Mercedes surely uses a higher quality whatever so that there is hardly any rust at all.
They probably have primer/painted the non-contact areas to minimize the rust.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Team Owner

I'm glad OP had much to contribute after his initial post

But apparently we are all dumb and Acura should be equal to, or better than Mercedes, at 50% of the cost.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
He traded it in
Old 08-02-2016, 11:07 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
He traded it in
What......? Traded it... Just because there is rust on rotors. Ha ha. Got the joke.