RDX Sales Figures & Best time to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
RDX Sales Figures & Best time to Buy

I saw this website which breaks down the number of cars sold by month and by year. It looks like Acura can coast through the rest of this year and still break the record for most number of RDXs sold in a given year. Based on previous year sales numbers, it also looks like December is when they record the highest number of sales per month. I'm guessing either A. people just like to purchase vehicles during the holidays or B. manufacturers and dealers will heavily discount their vehicles to meet their sales goals.

Enjoy and feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Acura RDX Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yeoyes
I saw this website which breaks down the number of cars sold by month and by year. It looks like Acura can coast through the rest of this year and still break the record for most number of RDXs sold in a given year. Based on previous year sales numbers, it also looks like December is when they record the highest number of sales per month. I'm guessing either A. people just like to purchase vehicles during the holidays or B. manufacturers and dealers will heavily discount their vehicles to meet their sales goals.

I've been monitoring the same site and while they(Acura) may very well break records with the RDX this year, did you notice for the second month in a row, it appears sales have went down significantly?
Sumoto
Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by sumoto
I've been monitoring the same site and while they(Acura) may very well break records with the RDX this year, did you notice for the second month in a row, it appears sales have went down significantly?
Sumoto
Might just be due to the tail end of the 2015s being cleared out.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Might just be due to the tail end of the 2015s being cleared out.

Entirely possible. They had a sales spurt in May which I figured was due to 15's and 16's both on the lot with incentives for the 15's and new model enthusiasm for the 16's. I've noticed several dealers in my area are now getting low on RDX's so perhaps pickings are slim.
sumoto
Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
inventory is a problem right now with the RDX.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Although the sales have dropped for the 2nd consecutive month they still beat all of the other cars except for the Audi Q5 in the luxury compact SUV segment; and are up 29% over July 2015.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
inventory is a problem right now with the RDX.
Yep, I waited over a month for my 16 RDX to arrive
Old 08-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sumoto
Sumoto
I'd say it's just the market correcting itself. The people who were borderline on making a purchase probably pulled the trigger as dealers were more eager to negotiate a deal. Sales seem to peak during the summer months followed by several months of hoe-hum sales followed by another peak towards 4th quarter.

This is just my speculation, and that being said, I'll probably wait until November or December to see if I can negotiate a deal on a '16 Advance with AWD for $40K (including destination/regional fee) before TTL.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great site. Thanks for sharing.

Historically, year-end is said to be the best time to buy. Dealers have to make month-end, quarterly-end and year-end targets come December. All equates to motivated dealers.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cho24
This is a great site. Thanks for sharing.

Historically, year-end is said to be the best time to buy. Dealers have to make month-end, quarterly-end and year-end targets come December. All equates to motivated dealers.
What I also like about the site is that it updates every month!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Instructor

August sales figures have been updated. Looks like sales numbers have slipped for 3 continuous months. I'm hoping for $40K + TTL for a '16 AWD Advance by the end of this year. If numbers keep slipping, I'm thinking my odds will only increase.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Instructor

September sales figure updated. Slowest month since January for US.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

For whatever reason, it looks like the numbers are dropping. Perhaps now's your chance to negotiate a great deal on that 16 AWD Advance soon.
Sumoto

Last edited by sumoto; 10-01-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Comparing each month's year-over-year sales (e.g., Sep 2014 versus Sep 2015), you'll see that RDX sales are up quite nicely, and have been trending up for some time. So Acura is doing something right on their SUV's.

I interpret the two peaks in annual sales to be the result of highly motivated sellers. The first one occurs somewhere in Jul-Oct each year and would seem to coincide with ending incentives to move any leftover prior year inventory.

The second peak happens in December, and I'm hoping that is a sign that dealers are pushing units out the door to make their year-end sales targets. I'm putting my money on that one by waiting to shop seriously until the last week of December. Or maybe I'll start at end of Oct if the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Meanwhile, I agonize over color and trim level. Do I really need/want ventilated buns? Or a car that brakes for me? Geez, this is tough...
Old 10-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The ventilation is very nice.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Pro

And, IMHO, black interior is the only way to go. The other two are just too light and that two tone look has got to get old pretty quick.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dirleton
And, IMHO, black interior is the only way to go. The other two are just too light and that two tone look has got to get old pretty quick.
Not that it matters much but that's how I felt after checking it out at the dealership. Automatically ruled out the Blue.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Fully loaded has really nice features: you get the fog lights, cool unique rim design, all the sensors and cameras known to man. And yes the ventilated seats are awesome!!

Originally Posted by othermike
Comparing each month's year-over-year sales (e.g., Sep 2014 versus Sep 2015), you'll see that RDX sales are up quite nicely, and have been trending up for some time. So Acura is doing something right on their SUV's.

I interpret the two peaks in annual sales to be the result of highly motivated sellers. The first one occurs somewhere in Jul-Oct each year and would seem to coincide with ending incentives to move any leftover prior year inventory.

The second peak happens in December, and I'm hoping that is a sign that dealers are pushing units out the door to make their year-end sales targets. I'm putting my money on that one by waiting to shop seriously until the last week of December. Or maybe I'll start at end of Oct if the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Meanwhile, I agonize over color and trim level. Do I really need/want ventilated buns? Or a car that brakes for me? Geez, this is tough...
Old 10-02-2015, 09:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
Fully loaded has really nice features: you get the fog lights, cool unique rim design, all the sensors and cameras known to man. And yes the ventilated seats are awesome!!
Actually, there are lots of sensors and cameras that aren't available on the RDX that you could find on a - say - MB SUV.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Actually, there are lots of sensors and cameras that aren't available on the RDX that you could find on a - say - MB SUV.
Such as?
Old 10-03-2015, 07:19 AM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
^ such as 360-degree camera?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

That would be cool but the RDX already has a backup camera with 3 adjustable settings plus vehicle+pedestrian sensors all around the back and front of the car.

Does the Mercedes give you lane keep assist, lane departure warning, collision mitigation breaking systems, blind spot warning, rain sensing wipers, AcuraWatch, powerfolding mirrors, etc at a mere $4000 (Canadian currency) above the base price?

Does the Mercedes have variable cylinder management where at cruising speeds it shuts down 3 of the 6 cylinders to save gas? Does it have one of the most fuel efficient and powerful v6 engines? I'm averaging 9.5 to 10.5 L / 100 km fuel efficiency which is quite incredible considering the power you get out of this beast. Did you check the fuel efficiency of a v6 Mercedes?

Originally Posted by edmua6
^ such as 360-degree camera?
Old 10-03-2015, 12:42 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

That would be cool but the RDX already has a backup camera with 3 adjustable settings plus vehicle+pedestrian sensors all around the back and front of the car.

Does the Mercedes give you lane keep assist, lane departure warning, collision mitigation breaking systems, blind spot warning, rain sensing wipers, AcuraWatch, powerfolding mirrors, etc at a mere $4000 (Canadian currency) above the base price?

Does the Mercedes have variable cylinder management where at cruising speeds it shuts down 3 of the 6 cylinders to save gas? Does it have one of the most fuel efficient and powerful v6 engines? I'm averaging 9.5 to 10.5 L / 100 km fuel efficiency which is quite incredible considering the power you get out of this beast. Did you check the fuel efficiency of a v6 Mercedes?
Listen, you stupid little twerp, the RDX does NOT have pedestrian detection. Mercedes does - amongst a zillion safety systems that MB does better.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Pro

I guess the pedestrian sensors are only available in Canada
Old 10-03-2015, 04:53 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I guess the pedestrian sensors are only available in Canada
I was wrong. It has pedestrian sensors. If you hit a pedestrian just right then the inside airbags go off so you don't have to see all the blood and gore all over your windshield.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Read this report:

http://acuraofnorthtoronto.ca/news/2016+Acura+RDX+Brings+the+Heat+in+World+Debut+at+2 015+Chicago+Auto+Show/3451/

It mentions pedestrian detection.

Originally Posted by ceb
Listen, you stupid little twerp, the RDX does NOT have pedestrian detection. Mercedes does - amongst a zillion safety systems that MB does better.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:56 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Well I guess Acura of Toronto are wrong, aren't they?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Well I guess Acura of Toronto are wrong, aren't they?
I researched this online, just like Rockyboy did for his mom's RDX. In any case, there is actually some basis for what the kid says. Pedestrian detection was mentioned in an earlier Acura press release for the RDX. However, whether it made it in the final version is unclear.

Acura | Press Releases Article | Acura.com

On the "Features" section of the Acura website for the respective vehicles, Pedestrian Avoidance is described as part of the CMBS for the MDX on the Acura website, but it is clearly not mentioned as part of the RDX version. I would suspect the information is found in the owners manual.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 10-04-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:06 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I researched this online, just like Rockyboy did for his mom's RDX. In any case, there is actually some basis for what the kid says. Pedestrian detection was mentioned in an earlier Acura press release for the RDX. However, whether it made it in the final version is unclear.

Acura | Press Releases Article | Acura.com

On the "Features" section of the Acura website for the respective vehicles, Pedestrian Avoidance is described as part of the CMBS for the MDX on the Acura website, but it is clearly not mentioned as part of the RDX version. I would suspect the information is found in the owners manual.
A very "pedestrian" version of pedestrian detection is included in the MDX (and possibly the RLX) under the so-called Acura Watch Pro (sometimes called Acura Watch Plus) but is not included in the RDX's Acura Watch.

This basic system merely detects any object in the way of the vehicle and it is unlikely to work when turning into a crosswalk for example.

The MB version (available in the 2016 version of the ML - the GLC) uses sensors, steering angle and so forth to detect the direction of travel and if there are moving objects that match the criteria of pedestrians and applies full braking power if necessary.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Pedestrian detection is mentioned in the RDX owner's manual.

I'd like to nominate rockyboy to be the test subject with my RDX. I'll post vids.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I'd like to nominate rockyboy to be the test subject with my RDX. I'll post vids.
Wait. Are you saying that I might be wrong? Say it isn't so.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Pro

He might not be tall enough yet to trip the sensors
Old 10-08-2015, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
best times to buy a car IMHO

1. end of month
2. end of production run at the end of the month
3. January as business is typically S L O W.

absolutely the worst time is when they are low on inventory
Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Pro

Always a quandary for those of us who want it NOW.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking for a RDX around holiday season, which usually is the best time to buy since dealer/manufacturer gives the most discount/incentive.
I have gotten as much as 16% off MSRP on a luxury vehicle before. Do you guys think it is possible with Acura RDX (with a MSRP of $44,000).
Old 10-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Pro

No. On a RDX Advance that would be almost a $7,100 discount. I doubt there is anything near that much margin available.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer quoted me sticker (online) for an RDX Advanced Pkg. AWD. Supply and demand I guess.

I told him I don't pay sticker and I am in no rush.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Pro

Market conditions make a big difference. Where I am the RDXs with Advance are sold before they are built. Discounts for most are minimal.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Market conditions make a big difference. Where I am the RDXs with Advance are sold before they are built. Discounts for most are minimal.
lol what? There's 5 sitting at this one dealer that you previously mentioned. This is the RDX we're talking about. For the most part, this is a very plain cookie cutter model. I mean look at the options and color choices available. Unless it's a small podunk town with minimal space, you should be able to negotiate a discount.

Florida might be the worst. I was rasslin' with Gettel Acura (Sarasota). They made a lot of noise about being $500 under MSRP on RDX Advance. When asked (and not until) they said their "Handling Fee" is $799. So --- if you want to pay $299 over MSRP Gettel Acura is the place to go.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:05 PM
Pro

I talked to (messaged actually) quite a few dealers - both coasts, north, south, etc. getting a feel for how things are done. I'm a thousand miles away from the dealer who has "5 sitting" and could not care less. I was referring to market conditions "where I am." If you need help with your reading skills please ask your mommy.

Last edited by dirleton; 10-10-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: RDX Sales Figures & Best time to Buy