RDX Routine Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
RDX Routine Maintenance

My 2014 RDX has about 40,000 miles on the clock. I’ve taken it to the dealer about every 5000 miles for an oil change, as well as whatever else they suggested (other fluids, filters, tire rotations, etc.).

The last time I took it in, the service manager suggested that the throttle body and fuel injectors should be cleaned. At about $250 for both, I thought I’d do a little research to see if it was really necessary. (I’ve been very happy with the dealer, and I don’t think they’re trying to screw me. At least I hope they’re not.)

I tried to find the suggested maintenance schedule. As it turns out, the entire schedule seems to be tied to the “Maintenance Minder”, not mileage points.

So one of my questions is, how am I supposed to know when it’s time to do things like timing belt, coolant change, and all those other things that are usually recommended at a certain mileage? Do I just wait for the code to appear?

Second set of questions: Is the throttle body/fuel injector cleaning part of routine maintenance, or is that just a dealer’s way of making a few extra bucks? Has anyone here had that done? If so, did it make a difference?

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (01-07-2017)
Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
1) yes. the MID counts for revs, time, idle, etc. so, if dealer has been resetting oil life, it should be on the right track for the 105k mile service, with a service code of "4" on the MID..

Maintenance minder 4
6 Speed Automatic - Recommended service:
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace timing belt and inspect water pump*4
  • Inspect valve clearance
  • *4: If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or tow a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles/100,000 km.
  • Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
  • Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
  • Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.
Found here http://owners.acura.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=2014&model=RDX#mid^TB3H3EJNW
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 AM

2) it is the dealers way of making extra money. as the website... Acura Owners Site | Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits show NOTHING of throttle body cleanings!

p.s. it is not likely that your throttle body is clogged full of carbon debris.

it might have a light coating of carbon, but that will not impede air flow, unless a BIG CHUNK of carbon is lodged into the throttle body opening...

if I remember correctly, the throttle body opening is at least 70mm wide!
you will need a big chunk of carbon to block that.

and if that big of a chunk of carbon is lodged in the throttle body, that's the LEAST of your issues, as there might be more going on....

however, it is VERY UNLIKELY the throttle body is clogged. in all my years of working on cars, I have NEVER seen a throttle body clogged.
pilozm (10-08-2017)
Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM

if you use the correct fuel, 91+, it will have cleaners and detergents in the fuel.

and will clean injectors when fuel passes through.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all the info.

I had found the Maintenance Minder info on the Acura owners site as well as in the manual. As I said, I had been looking for a more "traditional" mileage-based schedule which would make service planning (for spark plugs, coolant, etc.) a bit easier than waiting for a code.

And, as I said, I was looking to see if cleaning the throttle body and fuel injection was part of the recommended service - which it does not appear to be. The service manager brought me out a dirty piece of paper as evidence that I should get it done. (He could have wiped up an oil spill off the floor with it for all I know.)
Old 05-06-2016, 09:09 AM

its based off 105k miles. thats when you should change the timing belt, spark plugs, etc.

BUT! since the MID is based off revolutions and idle time, IT will either be more conservative or aggressive than 105k miles.

for example; all highway driving at 1.5k RPM will net a longer period of time than lets say all CITY driving at 4k RPM

AND if you read the little fine print it says; if you live in a dusty or hot or cold region, you can change the timing belt early due to these conditions....

its really not that hard to plan for....

Last edited by justnspace; 05-06-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:13 AM

agreed with you, he could be showing you some other slimey greasy rag....
Old 05-06-2016, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
its based off 105k miles. thats when you should change the timing belt, spark plugs, etc.
Thanks. That's what I was trying to find. If that's the case, I will probably never have to do those services.

Is that info printed some place that I missed?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by davisinla
Thanks. That's what I was trying to find. If that's the case, I will probably never have to do those services.

Is that info printed some place that I missed?
no, it seems as if Acura removed ALL literature on this.

the First J-series engine was touted for its long (lifetime) timing belt change interval.

the 2nd generation TL 99-03 had in the owners manual - CHANGE belt at 105k or 7 years, which ever comes first.

the third generation TL 04-08 had the 7 years removed from literature.
so my 2006 TL is based off 105k miles and NO time limit.

the MDX's with the J35 engine also follow this pattern.

it looks like Acura is trying to make it easy on drivers, giving them a warning on dash when its time to be replaced instead of relying on mileage or years
davisinla (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 01:58 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

I had found the Maintenance Minder info on the Acura owners site as well as in the manual. As I said, I had been looking for a more "traditional" mileage-based schedule which would make service planning (for spark plugs, coolant, etc.) a bit easier than waiting for a code.

And, as I said, I was looking to see if cleaning the throttle body and fuel injection was part of the recommended service - which it does not appear to be. The service manager brought me out a dirty piece of paper as evidence that I should get it done. (He could have wiped up an oil spill off the floor with it for all I know.)
Sounds like he used to work at Iffy Lube.

One day a co-worker took his "new to him" Audi to Iffy Lube for service. They came out with a little piece of cardboard showing little drops of dirty fluid - dark green/brown for coolant, brown for transmission fluid and so forth. Problem is that Audi coolant isn't green and the transmission is a sealed unit without a dipstick - and no way to get a "drop" of transmission fluid.

Acura recommends against using additives - which my Acura dealership loves to push.

Here is a test assuming your car is under warranty. Since the throttle body cleaning isn't in the recommended maintenance FROM Acura (just from the dealer who needs to make another boat/house/car payment), then tell the dealer "I've been having a bit of a rough idle recently" to which he will respond "See, you need this cleaning, it'll fix it right up."

To which you respond "fine, since it isn't normal maintenance then it is clearly a warranty issue - please fix it under warranty."

If he balks, then call Acura and tell them your dealer won't fix a rough idle issue.

See my signature line
The following 3 users liked this post by ceb:
davisinla (05-06-2016), kfhughes (05-06-2016), Tim Finck (12-05-2019)
Old 05-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Thanks. You make a good point about the warranty issue.

In a few other chats I've had, I've yet to encounter someone who actually thought the cleanings were necessary.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting thread here...I was just wondering what upcoming services any service garage or dept might try to push on me...I'll probably fall for it unless I develop a healthy dose of OCD over my 2G now and fill my head with all things maintenance VS repair, necessary and unnecessary.

When I had a Prius, I read up everything I could on scheduled maintenance, because that's how I grew up, watching my dad...maintenance maintenance maintenance, every 3k to 5k depending on "old school" mfg suggestions. Interestingly enough, though, with the Prius, nowhere - N O W H E R E - in the literature is there EVER a mention of including periodic hv battery assessment ( the really really expensive battery in the hybrid ) along with other regularly scheduled maintenance items. Yet, it's a key system to the operation of the hybrid. And an occasional assessment could be the difference between stuck on the side of the road, needing an immediate $2000 - $4000 replacement OR a well-planned appointment for a $400 - $700 deep cycle (which gets the battery as good as new).

Has anyone ever really needed a cleaning for the throttle body and fuel injection and see a marked improvement in overall performance?

When I got my RDX, I noticed that the 60k service was missing from the history and expected to have the service done. It's Honda and not a Land Rover (LOL), so I knew it wouldn't be a big deal given the history of regular visits to the same location. At least I had a base line I could count on now that I own it.

So far, really liking the results of my research and finally pulling the trigger.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2013rdxbase
Interesting thread here...I was just wondering what upcoming services any service garage or dept might try to push on me...I'll probably fall for it unless I develop a healthy dose of OCD over my 2G now and fill my head with all things maintenance VS repair, necessary and unnecessary.

When I had a Prius, I read up everything I could on scheduled maintenance, because that's how I grew up, watching my dad...maintenance maintenance maintenance, every 3k to 5k depending on "old school" mfg suggestions. Interestingly enough, though, with the Prius, nowhere - N O W H E R E - in the literature is there EVER a mention of including periodic hv battery assessment ( the really really expensive battery in the hybrid ) along with other regularly scheduled maintenance items. Yet, it's a key system to the operation of the hybrid. And an occasional assessment could be the difference between stuck on the side of the road, needing an immediate $2000 - $4000 replacement OR a well-planned appointment for a $400 - $700 deep cycle (which gets the battery as good as new).

Has anyone ever really needed a cleaning for the throttle body and fuel injection and see a marked improvement in overall performance?

When I got my RDX, I noticed that the 60k service was missing from the history and expected to have the service done. It's Honda and not a Land Rover (LOL), so I knew it wouldn't be a big deal given the history of regular visits to the same location. At least I had a base line I could count on now that I own it.

So far, really liking the results of my research and finally pulling the trigger.
Kinda, sorta

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ed-fyi-944361/
Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

Here is a test assuming your car is under warranty. Since the throttle body cleaning isn't in the recommended maintenance FROM Acura (just from the dealer who needs to make another boat/house/car payment), then tell the dealer "I've been having a bit of a rough idle recently" to which he will respond "See, you need this cleaning, it'll fix it right up."

To which you respond "fine, since it isn't normal maintenance then it is clearly a warranty issue - please fix it under warranty."

If he balks, then call Acura and tell them your dealer won't fix a rough idle issue.

See my signature line
I'm thinking of doing just this with our 13. Since getting a Leaf the RDX only gets driven a few time a week to work about 3 miles all under 25mph. It's developed a rough idle and strange hesitation after gear changes.
We've always used 92/93 octane in it but with 55k miles I'd like to see if this is covered under the power train warranty.
I'm pretty sure these are direct injection. Oops just checked and only 2016s are. I was going to say that fuel injector cleaner wouldn't do much but maybe it will help. I'll try that first.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by juice13
I'm thinking of doing just this with our 13. Since getting a Leaf the RDX only gets driven a few time a week to work about 3 miles all under 25mph. It's developed a rough idle and strange hesitation after gear changes.
We've always used 92/93 octane in it but with 55k miles I'd like to see if this is covered under the power train warranty.
I'm pretty sure these are direct injection. Oops just checked and only 2016s are. I was going to say that fuel injector cleaner wouldn't do much but maybe it will help. I'll try that first.
But there are only a few fuel injector cleaners that work - Technon and BG-44K are the ones most commonly used.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Interesting comments.

So here's another question:

The car is running just fine, getting the same mileage as always.

For those who feel the cleaners DO improve performance, should the maintenance be done at BEFORE there are any symptoms (at 40,000 miles) as preventative, or would you wait?
Old 05-07-2016, 12:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by juice13
You need to drive the car more. A 3 mile idle isn't good for your car.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Interesting comments.

For those who feel the cleaners DO improve performance, should the maintenance be done at BEFORE there are any symptoms (at 40,000 miles) as preventative, or would you wait?
No real need to do anything but a periodic bottle of BG-44K won't hurt anything other than your wallet.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
No real need to do anything but a periodic bottle of BG-44K won't hurt anything other than your wallet.
Thanks. Sounds like my plan.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Good thread, thanks!
Old 05-09-2016, 06:12 AM

Interesting comments.

another thing to note; is that premium fuels have cleaners and detergents in them!!!!

I agree with CEB that "additional cleaners" from the store are not NECESSARY!

and if your injectors are FOULED up, it means you're not using the correct fuel...

Ive torn down MULTIPLE acura engines. you know what Ive found? literally nothing, these engines run so damn clean!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 06:15 AM

your J35 is a derivative of my J32.

70k miles and that shit is clean as a whistle.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:54 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

another thing to note; is that ALL fuels have cleaners and detergents in them!!!! Top Tier brands have more detergents.

I agree with CEB that "additional cleaners" from the store are not NECESSARY!

and if your injectors are FOULED up, it means you're not using the correct fuel...

Ive torn down MULTIPLE acura engines. you know what Ive found? literally nothing, these engines run so damn clean!!!!!!!!!!!
Fixed it for you
justnspace (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Can always count on you, brother!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Can always count on you, brother!
Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
But there are only a few fuel injector cleaners that work - Technon and BG-44K are the ones most commonly used.
Just tossed a bottle of Techron in it. Will report back. Told the wife to door it a few times on her commute.