RDX paradigm

Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
RDX paradigm

I have a 2013 MDX w/tech package and I love it.
Based on my fondness for it (and not liking the other alternatives in the segment) and wanting something a bit smaller I got a 2017 RDX Advanced. After driving it for 7 months, I simply did not bond with it.
The funny thing is that it does almost everything better than the MDX. It is more agile, more fuel efficient, better tech all around, easier to park, etc and yet I cannot say I love it. It is just OK. Why is that? Is it me or other forum members feel the same?
Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalin
Based on my fondness for it (and not liking the other alternatives in the segment) and wanting something a bit smaller I got a 2017 RDX Advanced. After driving it for 7 months, I simply did not bond with it.
The funny thing is that it does almost everything better than the MDX. It is more agile, more fuel efficient, better tech all around, easier to park, etc and yet I cannot say I love it. It is just OK. Why is that? Is it me or other forum members feel the same?
With all due respect and without trying to sound like an assole, it really is impossible for us to answer why you don't fully like your RDX. I will mentioned that I feel like (as is the case with all current Acura products) that the RDX lacks soul, it lacks that something that makes you attached to it (IMHO of course). That, and the MDX was a different animal, it was made to feel more luxurious and heavy, the RDX doesn't have that feeling. That might be why you don't like it very much, it lacks that substantialness present with the MDX.

EDIT: Conversely resale balue is the highest it will ever be today right now lol. If you can afford, sell it and get something you really like. 7 months is a fair shake.

Last edited by RDX10; 03-14-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
We have a '17 Advance and really like it. (The last time I used the term "love" for a transportation device was for our '93 Legend, before that my '60 Volvo 544 and '66 Corvair Corsa. That's it out of 31 total vehicles.) We had a '13 Tech before this one, so the transition to the '17 was nothing but positive. Yeah, it's not as sporty and or as planted as our '15 TLX 4-cyl. Tech but the RDX is a compact crossover that does everything really well. Just not with passion. Our expectations are being met and then some. Would we buy again? Absolutely!

We have three RDXs in the family: One son's '14 Tech, our old '13 that my other son bought from us, and our '17. All black. Strength in numbers?
Old 03-15-2017, 02:32 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I'm not feeling the current line-up in the sporty/handling departments and is one of reasons why I still have my 08 RDX and 11 MDX Adv. Waiting to see if the 3rd Gen RDX will add sh-awd back into the equation. Might have to look into the sh-sh-awd +17 MDX with sport+, magnetic suspension, and 7DCT if it ever comes available.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm not feeling the current line-up in the sporty/handling departments and is one of reasons why I still have my 08 RDX and 11 MDX Adv. Waiting to see if the 3rd Gen RDX will add sh-awd back into the equation. Might have to look into the sh-sh-awd +17 MDX with sport+, magnetic suspension, and 7DCT if it ever comes available.
Re: Not feeling it: That's why we have a TLX. Sporty/handling/fun (within reason - I'm a retired boy racer so no chances taken these days, please). The RDX is for utility and long hauls with a load, but with better ride and handling than most other crossovers (CX-5 excepted). When the TLX lease is up we're going to try to get by with just the RDX. We'll see how that works out.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
With all due respect and without trying to sound like an assole, it really is impossible for us to answer why you don't fully like your RDX. I will mentioned that I feel like (as is the case with all current Acura products) that the RDX lacks soul, it lacks that something that makes you attached to it (IMHO of course). That, and the MDX was a different animal, it was made to feel more luxurious and heavy, the RDX doesn't have that feeling. That might be why you don't like it very much, it lacks that substantialness present with the MDX.

EDIT: Conversely resale balue is the highest it will ever be today right now lol. If you can afford, sell it and get something you really like. 7 months is a fair shake.
I wasn't asking for the forum members to tell me why I don't love the car. I was asking if other forum members have the same feelings (or lack of thereoff) as I do.
Perhaps your explanation that it lacks a soul is part of the problem. Another poster below, in line with your comment mentions that the RDX does everything well but without passion. That also sounds right on the money, so I guess it is not just my perception.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
IMO, The RDX is an example of quirk-removal advanced engineering. That's why it lacks passion, or as I would prefer to call it, personality. Personality quirks on a vehicle generally end up being considered as flaws.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I think we all bond with our vehicles for good or bad. I've been a diehard Acura fan since 1993 when I got my 1st 94 Intengra GS-R. Yeah, I bonded with that car. It was the best thing I'd ever driven in that point of my life. Then I got a 2002 RSX Type-S (Integra replacement basically) and sorry, did not bond and traded that sucker in after 20-months. Then got a 2003 CL Type-S. Damn! What an awesome car and totally bonded. I still miss it to date. But, then I wanted to enter the SUV/CUV market and got a 2008 RDX. SH-AWD baby! Now, this becomes my favorite Acura. What a blast to drive but after 8 years it started to get a bit dated. Now I have 2016 RDX Advance. By far the best Acura I've ever had. Absolutely love it. Yes, definitely bonded.
Like many, I'm anticipating the 3rd Gen RDX and if SH-AWD is resurrected and what engine options and tranny will be available. Until then, loving my '16 RDX Advance!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
KBB came out yesterday with the best brands for value. This speaks to cost of ownership (e.g. Trade in value, mpg, maintenance and repair costs, etc.). Subaru won among popular brands and Acura won among luxury brands. It all depends on the definition of soul....
The following 3 users liked this post by romer:
Comfy (03-18-2017), Doobiewah (03-19-2017), Skidoor (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by romer
KBB came out yesterday with the best brands for value. This speaks to cost of ownership (e.g. Trade in value, mpg, maintenance and repair costs, etc.). Subaru won among popular brands and Acura won among luxury brands. It all depends on the definition of soul....
In my book soul has nothing to do with value, cost, etc. Like I said before, the RDX does almost everything well.
Soul for me are the intangible things that give the car a personality; that make you happy and proud of your the car. None of that is happening with my great value, decent looking, well equipped and fuel efficient RDX.
Heck, many years ago I had a V8 Ford Explorer that was a terrible value, gas guzzler that even gave me occasional electrical problems, yet I LOVED it! The same feelings with my extremely ugly V6 Camry station wagon. It would hurt my eyes looking at it and yet I loved the car!
Both cars talked to me at some level. With the RDX I have not started the dialogue yet...
Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
One thing Acura has going for itself is it can stand the test of time with its reliability and styling. Examples of this is when I look are other vehicles from the same model year as my 06 TSX and they didn't age as well. Acura's (sometimes) bland styling translate into forward thinking design that seem to get better with age. Even the older designs like the Legend, Integra, or CL look so much better today compared to the competition of the same model years.

Search this Thread