NYC Autoshow - 2016 Tucson and Sorento take-aways

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
NYC Autoshow - 2016 Tucson and Sorento take-aways

Must say, VERY impressive. The upcoming generation Kias and Hyundais are really stepping up their game. If packaged accordingly, the top of the line models match/exceed Acura fit and finish.

I thought we were all set on the RDX, until I sat in a loaded 2016 Tucson. Burgundy leather, 31 cubes of cargo, full length pano roof, 400+ watt stereo, and all of the safety bells and whistles. Needless to say, it certainly looks better than the RDX. Pricing has not yet been released, but I would think a loaded Tucson will not exceed $35k. Overall, the airyness of the cabin was the big game changer, as the RDX lacks a pano roof, and the cabin is a bit cavernous. If we end up waiting until July, we may go with this.

As for the 2016 Sorento. They had a limited version with checkered/perforated Nappa Leather, and all of the goodies. Granted it came out to $45k...unless I was totally fooled by the nappa seats and inserts, if someone covered up the Kia badge on the steering wheel, you would think the car was $60k+. No joke, these seats belonged in a highly optioned BMW/Merc.

...and the same goes for the Optima, with top of the line finishes topping at at the mid-to-high $30k sticker. Felt nicer than the TLX.

All said, the Korean brands really opened up my eyes, as Acura is starting to fall off the chart as my go-to reliable premium brand.

At the end of the day, I have found that panoramic roof options are one of my most favorable features in a car. Acura is lacking in this regard, and it seems like they need to offer more to win me over...

Guess the big take-away is that if you are capable of overlooking the badge (many are not), then there really is little reason to not be driving a Kia or Hyundai for a luxury:value perspective. As the brands make more strides in the marketplace as being more "premium", the pricing is only going to get more competitive. Get in now while you can. It almost feels like the costs of premium Kias/Hyundais are being subsidized until they gain more acknowledgment.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-14-2015 at 09:37 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ThermonMermon:
bzb123 (04-14-2015), HotRodW (04-14-2015), rbreeze (04-14-2015), TacoBello (08-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Kia's Nappa Leather, found in 2016 Optima:

Sorento rear cabin:

2016 Tucson:

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-14-2015 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rbreeze (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, I too was waiting on the new RDX release, but thave been really impressed by what Kia/ Hyundai have come out with recently. I'll be looking at the Sorento Limited along with RDX. Must admit Sorento looks significantly better on paper with way more features for the money. Plus, dispite the Kia's top end models being priced in the mid 40's, I'm guessing the Kia dealers will be more willing to cut a deal than Acura.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I'd wait to drive one before you make up your mind. The steering/suspension is where Hyundai/Kia have always been behind and nothing I've read indicates that has changed drastically. Beauty is only skin deep.

Big discounts are needed because the resale after 5 years is horrible.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

yes, they are offering discounts on the highly optioned models. A good $3k+ off. Which is pretty surprising, since it is a new release.

Back to my point, I think they are stressing the market with higher and higher price points to make themselves more known as a premium brand (or at least something that could be optioned out to be premium). While the value is still there, at $40-$50k, IMHO, the overall market is not. Their sticker prices may approach $50k for image purposes, but I am sure large discounts could be easily had.

A limited, 2-row, AWD, fully optioned 2016 Sorento is about $47k, and could likely be had for low $40ks...right inline with a 2016 RDX Tech. In all reality though, the 2016 Tucson is more inline with the RDX size (but with more cargo), and an apples-to-apples equipped vehicle could probably be had in th low to mid $30ks. The Sorento is closer to the size of an MDX.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-14-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
I'd wait to drive one before you make up your mind. The steering/suspension is where Hyundai/Kia have always been behind and nothing I've read indicates that has changed drastically. Beauty is only skin deep.

Have you driven a '12+?

The EPS is spot on. very easy to control, very precise. turn the wheel in the direction you want to go and the car follows. almost makes me forget its a FWD vehicle.

also, suspension is pretty awesome too. very sporty with its high performance dampers.

and the exterior styling is way better than most other manufactures.
TacoBello (08-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
^ ThermonMermon, thanks for posting your comments + photos re the '16 Tucson, etc. Good stuff.
While I plan to test-drive a '16 RDX w/Advance Pkg (Elite Pkg in Canada) sometime next month, I've decided to hold off making any buying decision on the '16 RDX until I see/drive the new '16 Tucson, expected to arrive in July. As well I'm waiting to see what the refreshed '16 Santa Fe Sport will be all about. The updated '16 Santa Fe Sport is expected to begin arriving at dealerships sometime in August or early September.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
The Tucson will, hopefully, have the 1.6 turbo with the 7 speed dual clutch trans like in Europe, wonder if it has paddle shifters too. It looks like the turbo engine is already detuned, only 175 HP as opposed to the same engine in the forte or the veloster that gets 201 HP, that already sucks. I like all the safety features and the 8" touchscreen. I still have my eyes on a 2013 RDX, no replacement for displacement it seems, everything now is 4 cyl turbo, but there's no performance behind it.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I have to agree that the Koreans have come a long way....I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent with 80 000 km and ZERO issues and that car has been through very harsh winters and wicked cold starts.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord

I've spent enough time in my brothers 2015 KIA Sorento to be able to say with certainty that the RDX rides like shit compared to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
justnspace (04-15-2015), rbreeze (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
The Tucson will, hopefully, have the 1.6 turbo with the 7 speed dual clutch trans like in Europe, wonder if it has paddle shifters too. It looks like the turbo engine is already detuned, only 175 HP as opposed to the same engine in the forte or the veloster that gets 201 HP, that already sucks. I like all the safety features and the 8" touchscreen. I still have my eyes on a 2013 RDX, no replacement for displacement it seems, everything now is 4 cyl turbo, but there's no performance behind it.
it does have the 1.6T and 7-speed. There is a recent article on Car and Driver. paddle shifters, I am unsure, but if that is the equipment combination, then likely.

REALLY like the Tucson. Curious what would be the better financial decision for a 5-year ownership cost.

$30k, CPO 2013 Acura RDX Tech
$35k (negotiated to $33k?), new 2016 loaded Hyundai Tucson

...clearly Hyundai will depreciate quite a bit. But factor in better financing for the Hyundai, better MPGs, regular gas, slightly cheaper maintenance...

May make more sense to lease the Hyundai...

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-15-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
I've spent enough time in my brothers 2015 KIA Sorento to be able to say with certainty that the RDX rides like shit compared to it.
if you can get past the badge, one would never know it's a "lesser" brand.

the '12 Kia sportage that I daily is made in Korea.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
it does have the 1.6T and 7-speed. There is a recent article on Car and Driver. paddle shifters, I am unsure, but if that is the equipment combination, then likely.

REALLY like the Tucson. Curious what would be the better financial decision for a 5-year ownership cost.

...clearly Hyundai will depreciate quite a bit. But factor in better financing for the Hyundai, better MPGs, regular gas, slightly cheaper maintenance...

May make more sense to lease the Hyundai...
^ Thermon, based on your having a pretty good look at the '16 Tucson at the NY Auto Show, what were your impressions of rear seat legroom and rear seat entry/exit? As good as the RDX? Note that I sent you that same question yesterday via private message - did you see it?
I think I'm over the '16 RDX - and I haven't even driven it yet! Concentrating now on the upcoming '16 Tucson and refreshed '16 Santa Fe Sport.
Thanks, Richard
Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Thermon, based on your having a pretty good look at the '16 Tucson at the NY Auto Show, what were your impressions of rear seat legroom and rear seat entry/exit? As good as the RDX? Note that I sent you that same question yesterday via private message - did you see it?
I think I'm over the '16 RDX - and I haven't even driven it yet! Concentrating now on the upcoming '16 Tucson and refreshed '16 Santa Fe Sport.
Thanks, Richard
sorry, dont really check PMs....

The rear seat entry/exit may not be as good as the RDX, as the RDX has a pretty boxy cutout. The Tucson rear seat legroom seemed a bit better, and the cargo volume is up to 31 feet, so larger than the RDX there too. If you look up the outgoing Tucson on Cars.com, they have a bunch of baby seat tests. The Tucson was one of the few CUVs that did not require moving the front passenger seat forward to accommodate a rear-facing baby seat. Considering the 2016 Tucson has grown in length and wheelbase, I am sure it is probably close to class leading in rear space. The interior is really borderline mid-size. I spent some time in the backseat, and it felt very roomy with adequate knee room (I am 6-1") and would have no problems sitting in the back for a road trip.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-15-2015 at 12:28 PM.
rbreeze (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

2016 Hyundai Tucson | car review @ Top Speed

The 2016 Tucson is larger than the outgoing model, with more passenger space and available cargo volume. The 2015 Tucson offered 101.9 cubic feet of passenger space and 25.7 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats up and up to 55.8 cubic feet with the rear seats folded flat; the new model improves to 102.2 cubic feet of passenger volume, 31 cubic feet of rear cargo space and a maximum cargo capacity of 61.9 cubic feet.

2016 Tucson vs 2015 RDX
102.2' passenger volume vs 103.5'
31' rear cargo vs 26.1'
61.9' max cargo vs 61.3'

Interior dimensions for seating have not been released yet for the 2016 Tucson...
Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced

2016 Hyundai Tucson | car review @ Top Speed

The 2016 Tucson is larger than the outgoing model, with more passenger space and available cargo volume. The 2015 Tucson offered 101.9 cubic feet of passenger space and 25.7 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats up and up to 55.8 cubic feet with the rear seats folded flat; the new model improves to 102.2 cubic feet of passenger volume, 31 cubic feet of rear cargo space and a maximum cargo capacity of 61.9 cubic feet.

2016 Tucson vs 2015 RDX
102.2' passenger volume vs 103.5'
31' rear cargo vs 26.1'
61.9' max cargo vs 61.3'

Interior dimensions for seating have not been released yet for the 2016 Tucson...
^ Thermon, thank you for your response and info regarding rear seat entry/exit and legroom.
Re interior dimensions, I just found the 'Specifications' as well as 'Features & Options' word files for the '16 Tucson at the hyundainews.com media website. Here's a link to the specific webpage where you can download each of the files: 2016 Hyundai Tucson Documents
Old 04-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

^ Thermon, thank you for your response and info regarding rear seat entry/exit and legroom.
Re interior dimensions, I just found the 'Specifications' as well as 'Features & Options' word files for the '16 Tucson at the hyundainews.com media website. Here's a link to the specific webpage where you can download each of the files: 2016 Hyundai Tucson Documents
Cool. Thanks. Just did a quick comparo. They are pretty much identical.

Legroom and headroom, front and back, are all within one inch of each other for the 15 RDX vs 16 Tucson.

The only material differences -

Tucson has bigger trunk - 31 ft cargo vs 26 ft
Tucson has slimmer shoulder room - 57.1' F / 55.1' R vs 58.7' F / 57.1' R (so the RDX has an extra two inches of shoulder room in the rear).

...keep in mind the addition of the pano roof majorly contributes to the airyness of the Tucson cabin over the RDX.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-15-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Cool. Thanks. Just did a quick comparo. They are pretty much identical.

Legroom and headroom, front and back, are all within one inch of each other for the 15 RDX vs 16 Tucson.

The only material differences -

Tucson has bigger trunk - 31 ft cargo vs 26 ft
Tucson has slimmer shoulder room - 57.1' F / 55.1' R vs 58.7' F / 57.1' R (so the RDX has an extra two inches of shoulder room in the rear).

...keep in mind the addition of the pano roof majorly contributes to the airyness of the Tucson cabin over the RDX.
I did some dimension comparisons as well, creating a spreadsheet for the limited number of small/midsize CUV's that interest me at this point.
The interior dimension numbers for the '16 Tucson (vs the RDX) are very impressive - especially considering the Tucson's overall exterior length is 7 inches less than the RDX.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Safety Car

I did some dimension comparisons as well, creating a spreadsheet for the limited number of small/midsize CUV's that interest me at this point.
The interior dimension numbers for the '16 Tucson (vs the RDX) are very impressive - especially considering the Tucson's overall exterior length is 7 inches less than the RDX.
Yup, the new Tucson, and RDX are kind of in niche of their own within the class, size-wise.

If you want a laugh, go look at the NX. The front seats are cockpit-style and the trunk was a joke. You could find more versatility in a small sedan. Lexus is basically steering families up the waterfall to their many other offerings (RX/GX/LX).

Checked out the Hyundai newsletter. it looks like you could get virtually everything (inc. the sound system and navi) with a standard Limited Trim...sans HIDs and the pano roof...the pano is a standalone option, and the HIDs require their one package offering for the Limited trim (the ultimate package). The Ultimate Package has HIDs, also the pano roof, then all of your safety nannies, ventilated fronts, and heated rears.

I am thinking $30k for the base limited, plus $2k for AWD, then $2.5k for the Ultimate Package, getting to $34,xxx (under $35k). So $35k will get you every box checked. At least my thoughts/hopes. Luckily, the new Santa Fe is not out yet (with all of this tech), so the current Santa Fe pricing should keep a reasonable pricing ceiling for the newest gen. Tucson.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-15-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Yup, the new Tucson, and RDX are kind of in niche of their own within the class, size-wise.

If you want a laugh, go look at the NX. The front seats are cockpit-style and the trunk was a joke. You could find more versatility in a small sedan. Lexus is basically steering families up the waterfall to their many other offerings (RX/GX/LX).

Checked out the Hyundai newsletter. it looks like you could get virtually everything (inc. the sound system and navi) with a standard Limited Trim...sans HIDs and the pano roof...the pano is a standalone option, and the HIDs require their one package offering for the Limited trim (the ultimate package). The Ultimate Package has HIDs, also the pano roof, then all of your safety nannies, ventilated fronts, and heated rears.

I am thinking $30k for the base limited, plus $2k for AWD, then $2.5k for the Ultimate Package, getting to $34,xxx (under $35k). So $35k will get you every box checked. At least my thoughts/hopes. Luckily, the new Santa Fe is not out yet (with all of this tech), so the current Santa Fe pricing should keep a reasonable pricing ceiling for the newest gen. Tucson.
^ We went to have a look at the NX a few weeks back, and yes we did laugh! 'Cockpit-style front seats' is right (we felt really cramped/shoehorned in there), and the cargo area is incredibly small, especially in consideration of the vehicle length (182.3 in). I guess most people who buy the NX are wooed by the Lexus nameplate and the 'love it or hate' it polarizing styling. I suspect the NX will not age well. It's not a vehicle for me, and neither is the similarly styled all-new '16 RX.

I agree with you on your U.S. price estimates for the '16 Tucson. My/our vehicle short-list consists now of three vehicles - the upcoming refreshed '16 Santa Fe Sport (SFS) w/Ultimate Pkg, the '16 RDX Advance/Elite and the '16 Tucson w/ Ultimate Pkg. I'll be test-driving the RDX in a few weeks time when the first shipment of '16 RDX's finally reach Acura dealers here in s-w Ontario. I won't make a decision on what vehicle I'll buy until I see/drive the '16 Tucson in July and learn the details of the refreshed '16 SFS that's due out in late summer.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Safety Car

^ We went to have a look at the NX a few weeks back, and yes we did laugh! 'Cockpit-style front seats' is right (we felt really cramped/shoehorned in there), and the cargo area is incredibly small, especially in consideration of the vehicle length (182.3 in). I guess most people who buy the NX are wooed by the Lexus nameplate and the 'love it or hate' it polarizing styling. I suspect the NX will not age well. It's not a vehicle for me, and neither is the similarly styled all-new '16 RX.

I agree with you on your U.S. price estimates for the '16 Tucson. My/our vehicle short-list consists now of three vehicles - the upcoming refreshed '16 Santa Fe Sport (SFS) w/Ultimate Pkg, the '16 RDX Advance/Elite and the '16 Tucson w/ Ultimate Pkg. I'll be test-driving the RDX in a few weeks time when the first shipment of '16 RDX's finally reach Acura dealers here in s-w Ontario. I won't make a decision on what vehicle I'll buy until I see/drive the '16 Tucson in July and learn the details of the refreshed '16 SFS that's due out in late summer.
thanks. if you hear of any updates for pricing release/build website on the tucson, let me know.

as for the santa fe, what i am hearing is a pretty underwhelming refresh, and almost no upgrades to the interior finish. chances are, come summer, if you were to hop in both cars (2016 tucson and santa fe refresh), you would think the sante fe was crap. the fit and finish on the tucson is in a different league. it wont blow you away, but you wont find yourself knocking on all the materials and second guessing everything inside, like you would the santa fe. im like helen keller when i get inside of a santa fe - touching/knocking/rubbing all of the materials, in desperate search to find something half way acceptable.

it may take a couple more years for the santa fe to have a complete revamp to get to where the tucson is. you may have buyers remorse with the refreshed santa fe. great things are coming for this car, just not on the refresh.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 04-17-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Advanced

thanks. if you hear of any updates for pricing release/build website on the tucson, let me know.

as for the santa fe, what i am hearing is a pretty underwhelming refresh, and almost no upgrades to the interior finish. chances are, come summer, if you were to hop in both cars (2016 tucson and santa fe refresh), you would think the sante fe was crap. the fit and finish on the tucson is in a different league. it wont blow you away, but you wont find yourself knocking on all the materials and second guessing everything inside, like you would the santa fe. im like helen keller when i get inside of a santa fe - touching/knocking/rubbing all of the materials, in desperate search to find something half way acceptable.

it may take a couple more years for the santa fe to have a complete revamp to get to where the tucson is. you may have buyers remorse with the refreshed santa fe. great things are coming for this car, just not on the refresh.
Thanks. Interesting stuff.
No problem - if I hear of any updates on the '16 Tucson I'll let you know. Suggest you send me your email address via PM.

Re the Santa Fe.. my wife and I test-drove a '15 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited (Ultimate) a few weeks back and came away really impressed. The main item (show-stopper for us) that the '15 SFS lacks is a 6-way/8-way front passenger seat with height adjustment. From my perspective.. if the refreshed '16 SFS with Ultimate Pkg gains a 6-way/8-way passenger seat along with a few safety/tech features that the '15 model lacks, then the '16 SFS will automatically be a winner for us, regardless of how underwhelming the rest of the refresh will be.

But then again.. there's this '16 Tucson that looks really good in photos, that after a hands-on inspection at the NY show you believe makes the Santa Fe appear kind of crappy. I appreciate the Helen Keller /litmus test you carry out on the interior of vehicles - I do much the same. Based on your findings the '16 Tucson could very well be the next vehicle for me (us). Assuming I like everything about the new Tucson, I think my only concern will be the smallish size of the vehicle, whether its overall length of 176.2 inches makes the vehicle too small (as compared to the SFS and RDX) in terms of appearance as well as general utility/practicality.
I look forward to seeing and driving the '16 Tucson when it arrives in July. I suspect the refreshed '16 SFS won't arrive before August, however we should learn the details of the refresh sometime before that.

Last edited by rbreeze; 04-17-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced

Link to pretty slick video (includes Hyundai Europe advertisement video) for euro-spec 2016 Tucson:

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=uREaDVCNePQ]Brand New Hyundai Tucson (2016) - Car-Media-NL - YouTube[url]

Last edited by rbreeze; 04-23-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Advanced

^ Hmm... I entered a faulty link/embed formula. Let's try that again...

Old 04-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
^ Hmm... I entered a faulty link/embed formula. Let's try that again...
I see they have outsourced their wheels to Honda.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:17 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
if you can get past the badge, one would never know it's a "lesser" brand.

the '12 Kia sportage that I daily is made in Korea.
Hyundai/Kia is to Honda as Samsung is to Sony. Yesterday, Samsung was a joke; today, Samsung is dominant with their Galaxy phones and TVs (where's Sony nowdays with consumer electronics?).

It's only a matter of time before Honda/Acura becomes a joke compared to Hyundai, if the Japanese continue to be complacent.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I see they have outsourced their wheels to Honda.
No, I don't think so - unlike Honda/Acura, Hyundai's recent wheel offerings are actually good looking. And they have no problem offering a proper sized wheel for a modern compact SUV (i.e. a 19 inch wheel).
Old 04-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav
Hyundai/Kia is to Honda as Samsung is to Sony. Yesterday, Samsung was a joke; today, Samsung is dominant with their Galaxy phones and TVs (where's Sony nowdays with consumer electronics?).

It's only a matter of time before Honda/Acura becomes a joke compared to Hyundai, if the Japanese continue to be complacent.
Kind of agree. I was interested in SH-AWD TL advanced, but not overly impressed, gf is considering 16 RDX form her 14, but now is looking at 16 Tuscon to save a few grand. I am looking at Genesis possibly. And the 16 Maxima is very well optioned for the $40K mark, although that nose takes a bit to get used to.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:58 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
No, I don't think so - unlike Honda/Acura, Hyundai's recent wheel offerings are actually good looking. And they have no problem offering a proper sized wheel for a modern compact SUV (i.e. a 19 inch wheel).
This is what I meant...

Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
This is what I meant...

Those are indeed hideous. This should make it easier for me to sell my 19" Acura Accessory wheel tire package.
rbreeze (04-28-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Embedded link below to a new (April 30, 2015) Consumer Reports 'Quick Drive' video of the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

Last edited by rbreeze; 05-01-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Safety Car

Hyundai Tucson is now out, and the builder is now loaded on the website.

A limited, with ultimate package (basically checks every box) is $35k. That's a ways away from a $22k base model. Problem is, just to get leather, you need to step up to the Limited at $32k base. And if you want a pano roof (the only moonroof available) and HIDs, you need to get a $3k Ultimate package with all of the tech nannies. And boom, you're at $35k.

So the three things I want (leather, pano, HIDs), requires $13k worth of packaging/trim levels above the base $22k.

I would like to think that there would be $2k-$3k off in the near future. Who is going to pay sticker for a loaded $35k Tucson?

I mean you could get a loaded Forester or Outback for $32k. And even the faster versions (XT / 3.6R) get you to roughly the same price as the loaded Tucson.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 07-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
That Tucson steering wheel looks somewhat anti-ergonomic..

Depending on miles, Hyundai will likely be cheaper, but that's by design from both companies.

I can get past the badge but not the reliability (anecdotal and CR survey data.)

Unfortunately, reliability takes years to establish, but I'll let the early adopters test the waters
Old 07-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Instructor

(can't edit posts here?)

If you're leasing or dumping when the warranty is up, then reliability isn't much of a financial issue but still have to deal with the hassle of taking it in.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tmux
That Tucson steering wheel looks somewhat anti-ergonomic..
Actually, I was thinking it looks somewhat similar to the RDX. Not quite the most eye-pleasing.

Tucson:

RDX:

My favorite is the Mercedes ML. I love this buttery smooth wooden steering wheel:
Old 07-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Instructor

I'm used to having a hole at the bottom for 1-handed driving:

Now with my TSX, I have to decided which half to go to but not too bad. (My other hand is on the 6MT ok you dirty minds! Unless perhaps if a hot girl is in view.)

That Tucson, can't do much with the bottom middle hole, looks like there are some sharp edges too on the sides of the vagina. Buttons all bunched together, bet a thumb can't reach the corner ones so it's becoming like a keyboard instead of a gamepad.

ML looks nice though that bottom hole is really wide, might be doing some major sliding like a hockey goalie needing to defend a wraparound shot.

But, for me reliability is the biggest factor and Honda still has a buffer to chill on its laurels for a bit longer.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing that I can not get past with the Tuscon is the 175HP engine. Even though it is lighter than the RDX I have to believe that you will feel the difference in HP. To really compete with the RDX they have to offer an engine in the 240HP range,
Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by computer_man
One thing that I can not get past with the Tuscon is the 175HP engine. Even though it is lighter than the RDX I have to believe that you will feel the difference in HP. To really compete with the RDX they have to offer an engine in the 240HP range,
I don't think they're trying to compete with the RDX, but rather the likes of the CR-V, RAV4, CX-5, Escape and the like, and in that regard the engine they have used appears to be adequate.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree. It just seems that people on this forum are comparing the RDX to the Tuscon. I was just trying to show one major differentiation IMHO.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone shopped or have opinions on the Sante Fe Limited (AWD/Ultimate) 6-seater with captains chairs? The 2015s getting heavy discounts as 2016s are showing up on the lot...

Are there major differences between the fully loaded 2015 and the 2016?

Quick Reply: NYC Autoshow - 2016 Tucson and Sorento take-aways