No heat for rear passenger '17 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
No heat for rear passenger '17 RDX

On a recent road trip in Maine, I could not get any heat to the back seat passenger even with the fan on high. A lot of complaints. The RDX should offer heated rear seats as it does in Canada. My previous RLX had great heat and ac for the rear passenger. Anyone have any way to fix this ?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
There are aftermarket kits to add heating elements to seats. You can do it yourself or bring it to a shop that installs these things.

Champion? Seat Systems | Seat Heaters, Seat Cooling, Massage Seats, Heated Seats | Vehicle Seat Comfort
Old 12-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
You should have underseat heat vents so I am not sure what is up with that. You can also direct heat to the rear passengers through the rear center console vents since you have a '17. The rear seats should certainly have the heating elements as even the lowly Hyundai Tuscon offers rear heated seats on its Limited model.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I'm confused in terms of what the complaint or issue is. Is it about not having rear heated seats or is it about air coming out of the vents? If it is the former, I agree, a Hyundai elantra and kia soul (sub 14k cars have rear heated seats) but if it is the latter, you have to have the air blowing on your face to come out of those rear vents in the center console. There is also under seat vents as mentioned, those come on when you have the air directed at your feet.

Honestly though, the fact that some SUV's in 2017 don't come with rear air vents is a joke (a.k.a toyota rav4)...but that is a topic for another thread haha.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
did you have the heat split between defrost and floor?
Old 12-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
My '17 does fine getting heat to the back seats via the underseat vents to the back. If you have it on auto, the flow is only fair to the back. When you force the air to the floor vents via the controls and turn the fan up, plenty gets back to the rear. Auto is not perfect and requires assistance to get the system to do what you want, especially since the interior temp sensor seems to be up front.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:44 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Operator Error

Originally Posted by R. White
On a recent road trip in Maine, I could not get any heat to the back seat passenger even with the fan on high.
This may be redundant but just make sure the vents are adjusted to show the display arrow pointing to the floor (set manually if necessary). All the heated air will be forced through the floor vents (under the front seats for back seat passengers...go check) and your back seaters will be toasty warm.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Good tips for getting heat. When it warms up I need to experiment with the A/C in the back as well.

i was so proud of myself when I stumped my super-knowledgeable sales person when I actually knew what the two little cover plates below the rear center vents were for. Heated rear seat buttons for the Canadian market.

Last edited by CanTex; 12-25-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Again, I have to say, I can't believe how many people I have ridden with who blast the heat continuously from the dash vents and/or the defrost vents, baking my eyeballs into white powder while my feet freeze....
Old 12-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Found the OP's question interesting, as I was concerned taking another couple on a trip to the NHMS (New Hampshire motor speedway) to see the Gift of Lights a few weeks ago. Was the first time I took my '15 RDX on a trip with a couple in the back seats, with outside temp of -4 F. I had the setting on floor , and the rear seat passengers found more than adequate heat to the rear for the entire trip (and we actually were surprised it was as cold as it was outside, as it was a balmy +8 F when we left our house :-) . Would it be good to have the center console vents like the '16+ does? Yes. And would it be good to have rear-seat heaters? yes - especially if getting into a stone-cold car. But for general rear passenger comfort, the front-only heating/cooling system seems to work well in the RDX...

andy
Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
During my recent oil change visit, I discussed the lack of air coming out of the vents in the back of the console. The answer was that there is no fan in that system. The air is somehow pushed out at a low volume. Another thing to check on the next vehicle.