New style key fobs on earlier 2nd gen RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
New style key fobs on earlier 2nd gen RDX?

Hi there. My wife's TL and my RDX have the same sort of key fob, and they're not the highest quality, at least cosmetically. I wear my fobs on a lanyard on my belt loop, and even with silicone covers they start getting really nasty looking.

I noticed that on my son's '17 ILX they have these new and more robust looking fobs, and while at the dealer for an oil change yesterday, I noticed that the '16+ RDX's have the same new-style fob. These seem to be an upgrade in design and construction from the previous ones.

Which leads to my question. Anybody know if the new style fobs would work on a '15 RDX? I'd be willing to replace my fob with a newer style if I wasn't the guinea pig to try it out first :-) Curious if anyone knows the answer?

thanks - andy
Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I've put some thought into it a while ago. The thread is more than a year old and lost. It will be nearly impossible to get a dealer to arrange it. I mean the only option is buying the new key online and transplanting the internals to the new one and cut the mechanical key to the original. Online the new key retails for around $50-70. Just didn't feel like wasting that much money in case it didn't work. Size and shapewise they look comparable to me, so there is a good chance that everything may fit. If you want to be the guinea pig ...GO FOR IT.
Also I read somewhere that the engine immobilizer electronics are in the portion of mechanical key and not the transmitter part of key...not sure if its legit.... If true then the key swap may not work as well......
Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Thx for the reply. After some research it looks like the frequency that the old remote sends is different than the new one - so not sure they're interchangeable electronically. And I'm not really up for doing a "guts" transfer to a new-style case. So I ordered a couple of new silicone cases to cover the scarred one I have so it looks presentable. May need to replace with an identical one at some point....

andy