Lexus NX instead of an RDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Lexus NX instead of an RDX

Anyone else out there who is waiting to see what the Lexus NX is like before getting an RDX?
Attached Thumbnails Lexus NX instead of an RDX-13-10-03-lexus-nx-rendering-mag-x-2.jpg  

Last edited by johnrh; 03-03-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
If I didn't have my RDX and could afford to wait, I would wait for sure. Just to see what it will offer, how it will be priced and the look of the interior.

But I don't regret the RDX at all....
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting anyways. I wonder if it won't be similar size to the Buick Encore (ie too small). I do want to see interior and pricing but as I said, I think the RDX will likely be a better choice for me. . .
Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I always wondered why Lexus did not have a RAV 4 Variant. That said, the RX 350 is more sized with the RDX, just more upscale and the MDX is larger.

I would expect the Lexus is going to be more costly than the RDX. I would like to see it however. Everytime I cross shop the Lexus with the Acura, the bottom line is a comparably equipped Lexus is always much more than the Acura. I remember I wanted the last Gen, ES350 and if I wanted Navi and the better stereo we were looking at over $50,000 CDN. I passed and bought another MDX for much less. The truth of it for me is I prefer the drivers car the Acura is over the floaty drive of the Lexus.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ You are right about the drive/handling of the Acura's over Lexus....that being said I haven't driven the latest IS/GS and not sure if they have improved their driving dynamics.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I am waiting. If the Lexus is priced right and Acura doesn't add the "nice to haves" of led lights, collision warning, blind spot, etc... I will be serious about the Lexus.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's funny. Back when I bought my first RDX in 2007 I was checking out the Lexus RX, but it was too big for me. I asked the dealer if Lexus was planning to build a smaller version of the RX similar to the RDX, and the saleswoman told me they were planning it for the following year (2008).

It's a good thing I didnt hold my breath waiting for it. LOL
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The RX is sized right between the RDX and the MDX. The new NX is the size of the RDX and I expect it to be a little more expensive. I'm helping a friend in her search for a new car and she has settled on either a MDX or a RX and she is leaning towards the RX. I've driven both I have to admit the RX has great power when I floored it and is much quieter over bumps. The MDX seemed a little iffy in the revs and the shifting when I floored it but the RX just felt solid. Pricewise, I assumed it the RX would be at least $4-$5k more but they were within $1500 similarly equipped and Lexus is dealing more on the RX right now so I think it would actually be cheaper than the MDX. She's going to buy soon so we'll find out.

The NX, I read, is supposed to have a turbocharged 4cyl which would be a first for Lexus as far as I know. By the time my RDX is 4 years old I may just be interested in looking at the new NX because it should have at least one year under it's belt by that time. I also wouldn't be shocked if Lexus didn't extend the RX out to include a third row so it would compete straight up with the MDX.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by johnrh
Anyone else out there who is waiting to see what the Lexus NX is like before getting an RDX?
Not exactly waiting; but our lease is up in July '15, so we will have some studying to do. Bit of a chance we will buy out our RDX at lease-end, especially if DW keeps hitting things and putting extra miles on it! Need a vehicle with some capacity for bikes and the higher driving position, so most of the compact UTEs will work...will the NX be TOO compact? We shall see.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
It sounds like Europe might get the Lexus sport ute first with a 2.5L NA I-4+electric motor for 178hp. A NX200t F Sort to follow with 2L turbo good for 240hp.

I'm having a hard time getting use to the new Lexus grill. The front view of the concept vehicle would freak me out in the rear view mirror looks like it could suck you into another dimension.

http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/02/09/2...ious-variants/

Old 03-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Racer

From what I understand the new NX will be based on the RAV-4. The RAV-4 is larger than the CR-V so it only makes sense that the new NX would end up being as large or maybe even larger than the RDX. Only maybe an inch here and there but all the same larger. It seems when they "uplevel" a vehicle it becomes larger just like the RDX is larger than the CR-V on which it is based.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Racer

it was announced this morning that the production version will debut at the Shanghai auto show on Apr 20th. That stinks since the NY Auto show is the same week. It may mean that the US will get it later than Europe / Asia.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by geocord
From what I understand the new NX will be based on the RAV-4. The RAV-4 is larger than the CR-V so it only makes sense that the new NX would end up being as large or maybe even larger than the RDX. Only maybe an inch here and there but all the same larger. It seems when they "uplevel" a vehicle it becomes larger just like the RDX is larger than the CR-V on which it is based.
I was doing some research on this. The RX350 is around 190in, The RAV4 is 180, the RDX is 185, the MDX is 195. The CT200h (which I have read could be another chasis lexus might consider) is 172in. I saw a "mule" of it on the fast lane car site, it looked a little smaller than an X3 and a Q5 (both are around 183in).

I think the NX200t will be similar sized to the RAV4, maybe with an extra inch or so. I was worried it would be closer to the CT200h which would be way too small for my needs. If it is similar sized to a RAV4 and priced close to the RDX (+3kish) I'd probably choose it as my next car.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
I have been in both the new CRV and RAV4, and I don't see where one is bigger than the other.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I've been closely watching the NX as well, but I won't seriously consider it until it's confirmed that Toyota has modified the Rav4's chassis sufficiently to pass the offset crash test.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...lunks/2510365/
Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I have been in both the new CRV and RAV4, and I don't see where one is bigger than the other.
We are talking exterior size not passenger volume. The RAV-4 is wider, longer, taller and heavier than the CR-V. Passenger volume for both is 101 cu ft. When vehicles are close in size it's almost impossible to tell which one may be a little bigger without a tape measuring. My point was that the new Lexus NX will most probably NOT be smaller than the RDX but very close in size or larger if anything. And I didn't even insinuate that the RAV-4 was a size larger, but just inches. But the fact remains that it is larger.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its cool that lexus is bringing competition but I would rather have my V6 RDX that the 4 cylinder turbo in the NX. turbo's are a dog in hot weather and they burn gas like a lancer evo in the city.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLACK RAVEN
Its cool that lexus is bringing competition but I would rather have my V6 RDX that the 4 cylinder turbo in the NX. turbo's are a dog in hot weather and they burn gas like a lancer evo in the city.
The 2 liter ecoboost in the escape gets 22/30 mpg. I'd expect something similar out of the NX if it comes in similar size (which I'd expect it to).

The more I more I read and see about it, the more I think this is going to be a smaller RX. I hope they offer a non F-sport version (I basically drive to work and take road trips so I have no desire to pay the price premium for a "sporty" lexus).

My guess: around 180in length, styling very similar to current RX350 with a rear like a hatchback IS. I'd like it if they transplanted the dash from the RX instead of the IS (I like the screen covered for glare).
Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Racer

We discuss sizing but from what I have read the NX will be:
- about 182 inches long (size of the Rav 4)
- about 70 to 71 inches wide (size of the Rav 4)
- only about 62-63 inches tall (Toyota Venza height)

The RX and the RDX are about 65 inches tall so the NX is for a person who wants an SUV but not a big SUV. Most production cars are around 58 inches tall so it is about 4-5 inches taller than a car but still 2-3 inches shorter than a true SUV. I guess it is a true CUV.

If someone is in the market for a 182 in SUV where using the full amount of hauling space is needed then the NX may not be a good choice vs. an RDX, Rav 4, Escape, or CRV but if someone wants a higher vehicle that is about 182 inches and has a few extra inches of space than it may be a nice vehicle.

The shorter height also may help eliminate cannibalizing customers. The fear would be that a person who typically buys an RX switches to the NX. While it may happen, it is truly a different class of vehicle. The marketing plan may be to get the car buyer who may need a little extra space to step up to this CUV. The BMW X1 is 60 inches tall and the new 2 series has a version that is 61 inches tall. In general not many vehicles are between 60-65 inches. Most are either 58 inches tall (cars) or 65-66 inches tall (SUVs). This may become a nice niche for Lexus with a tweener vehicle. I think BMW and Mercedes made a mistake with the X1 and GLA where those vehicles are only 60 inches tall. If they added a couple of inches of height it would segment the vehicles better from being a wagon to a true CUV.
The following users liked this post:
GoesByFish (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

I agree with you 100%.

For me, I am currently driving a Hyundai Tiburon. I am a goalie in ice hockey and although my tiburon will (barely) fit my gear with the back seats down, I'd like something in the luxury class with a little more space and I don't want to drive a wagon (I'm a 34yo guy with no kids).

Originally I was drawn to the Q5 but reliability was a factor more than upfront price (I'm ok paying 40k for a car but I'd rather not have pricey maintenance issues). Thats what drew me to the RDX. It is possible that the NX might be an even better fit.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I'd hard consider the RDX as an SUV. I look at the RDX as more of a Hatchback. Personally, I would not want a four-cylinder turbo engine in my vehicle, so the NX is out for me.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GoesByFish
The 2 liter ecoboost in the escape gets 22/30 mpg. I'd expect something similar out of the NX if it comes in similar size (which I'd expect it to).

The more I more I read and see about it, the more I think this is going to be a smaller RX. I hope they offer a non F-sport version (I basically drive to work and take road trips so I have no desire to pay the price premium for a "sporty" lexus).

My guess: around 180in length, styling very similar to current RX350 with a rear like a hatchback IS. I'd like it if they transplanted the dash from the RX instead of the IS (I like the screen covered for glare).

Cruise on over to the Ford Escape boards. They are not getting anywhere near that mileage. Ford overstates mileage on every car.
Gen4MDX (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Cruise on over to the Ford Escape boards. They are not getting anywhere near that mileage. Ford overstates mileage on every car.
I checked fuelly, looks like 23-24 combined. I'd be happy with that considering the RDX in FWD is 23ish FWD.

Really I guess the deciding factor will probably come down to: used 2013 FWD RDX tech (which I guess will be around 30k when I'm shopping) vs NX200t (maybe 40k for optioned non-fsport).
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Racer

Who knows if the NX will even come in F-Sport or not? The NX will probably be a little bit bigger than the RAV-4 just like the RDX is a little bit bigger than the CR-V. It's not rocket science.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Yep, I can confirm this.
BLACK RAVEN (03-08-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

NX Teaser

Lexus released this teaser of the NX in advance of it's debut at the upcoming NY Auto Show. I still can't stomach the massive grille.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Lexus released this teaser of the NX in advance of it's debut at the upcoming NY Auto Show. I still can't stomach the massive grille.

Until pricing and more details are released it is tough to compare. The 2015 RX information is out on Edmunds. I expect the NX to be 3-4k below the RX but that may still price out into the mid 40k range when fully loaded. Since fully loaded includes tech that the RDX doesn't offer it won't be an apples to apples but my guess is that the RDX with an Advanced package would be in a similar price range.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I always wondered why Lexus did not have a RAV 4 Variant. That said, the RX 350 is more sized with the RDX, just more upscale and the MDX is larger.

I would expect the Lexus is going to be more costly than the RDX. I would like to see it however. Everytime I cross shop the Lexus with the Acura, the bottom line is a comparably equipped Lexus is always much more than the Acura. I remember I wanted the last Gen, ES350 and if I wanted Navi and the better stereo we were looking at over $50,000 CDN. I passed and bought another MDX for much less. The truth of it for me is I prefer the drivers car the Acura is over the floaty drive of the Lexus.
Things have changed, the newer Lexus are not floaty anymore. I have driven a few. Some have complained they are too firm ,LOL! They ride nicer than the acura. My RDX that I just got rid of, rides like a 10 yr old domestic car, esp over bumps/imperfections.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I am looking forward to checking out the NX, I am currently very disappointed with Acura at the moment, but there is always the upcoming TLX and we can only hope for a RDX with Advance pkg
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I think we need to be cautiously optimistic about the TLX and while I am somewhat confident that it will look pretty good when its revealed (not as good as the prototype), its the reliability that I am the most concerned about....suspension noises, transmission and electronics could be the 3 biggest problems with the TLX. I am going to sit on the side for at least a year IF I ever to give Acura another try.

As far as the RDX, I think the MMC will bring a higher trim option with more technology in it but I would highly recommend you stay away until the rear suspension noise is solved once and for all. Now if you live in a warm climate, then it will not be a show stopper for you.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, you can officially cross the NX off my list. In a word, Ewwwwwww! They even screwed up the interior. Evoque fighter my a$$.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Those links don't work. Here are some more. One of these is a Hybrid, the other is the 'F-sport' trim. They certainly are not tame. Probably need to see them in person to really get the feel for them. I think they look nice. LED head lights, a new turbo engine, likely ventilated seats. I like most of the interior. But it may be kind of pricey. But I think the features on this car will make the RDX look kind of lame.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Summer is Coming

Some more Pics..

Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Summer is Coming

And some more....

I like this interior.... well that aluminum trim is a little more than I would have put in. But at least it is a nice satin. I wonder if it is real or plastic.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

It sorta checks all the boxes (nav, panoramic sunroof, nice interior finish) but it doesn't resonate with me. I don't like how the nav looks like an add-on, it looks like it will be on the small side (I thought it would be RAV4 size).

I will wait to see it in person and test drive but it has dropped down the list. . .
Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Summer is Coming

More Pics....

Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Summer is Coming

Nx 200t

Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by wildeklave
I am waiting. If the Lexus is priced right and Acura doesn't add the "nice to haves" of led lights, collision warning, blind spot, etc... I will be serious about the Lexus.
Good luck finding a Lexus with all the goodies. I seriously looked at a GS last year and what a mess the way Toyota/Lexus bundle options, you might as well order form the Chinese smorgasbord menu. Toyota/Lexus turned me away years ago with the difficulty finding a car equipped the way I wanted it because they break up the options into so many pieces.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
What is it with the trend for uncovered cup holders, I hate that, takes away from the sleek flowing lines of the interior.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Racer

here is another link with information. I will look at it in the NY Auto Show (if it is on display). I like the exterior look. Very sharp. The pricing is what scares me.

An IS250 AWD starts at around 39k MSRP. With options it is $46k. When I priced out the ES it was about 2-3k more.

Based on the IS to ES example the NX may run close to 50k when optioned up. The fully loaded RX is right around 50k so maybe taking a couple of thousand off and you are still in the high 40s.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...YORK/140409828

Quick Reply: Lexus NX instead of an RDX