New RDX owner, initial impression with images

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:21 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New RDX owner, initial impression with images

Hi All,

After much thought and consideration, I chose to purchase a 2017 base RDX in modern steel metallic with ebony interior on Saturday. To be honest, I think I knew more about this car then the salesmen. (Been on this forum for a month reading everything...) I got a great price on the vehicle and it was hard to pass up. The dealer was able to do $4850.00 off the sticker price and the car came out to 35,014 out the door. And, the bank was even able to offer 0.9% apr which sounded too good to be true. Another dealer in my area wouldn't event budge on a 2016 base RDX with 10k miles and a listing price of 32,000.

Here are some of my other observations so far:
1) Where do you put your loose change??? The only place I can think of right now is the cell phone charger area in front of the shift knob but maybe in a small container. In my previous car, I tossed the coins in the ash tray and that worked out well.
2) Right now, I'm averaging 16.5 mpg with about 50% city driving/highway driving. A bit disappointed with this and I'm hoping this improves with less aggressive driving.
3) My car has the gap that people spoke about from the dashboard and the gauges. No big deal to me though
4) As my new family car, I think it has a great balance of space and acceleration is very nice. (My plan is to get my wife a tesla model 3 so we have the best of both worlds)
5) The LED headlights are so sexy and bright. The all white lights in the interior are a nice touch. I also appreciate the sleek design of the key fob.
6) My cell phone magnet mount doesn't stay on very well on the drivers side right vent. I would usually close the vent that my phone is connected in front of so that cold/hot air doesn't blow on the back of my phone but I'm sad that I can't close this vent. Does anyone else have something similar for their cell phones? I do not like those dashboard/window phone mounts
7) I also didn't realize that the windows come tinted already. This was nice

On my to buy/to do list:
Purchase all weather floor mats
Purchase a trunk cargo cover + cargo tray
Purchase a sun shade
Install fog lights
Attached Thumbnails New RDX owner, initial impression with images-rdx4.jpg   New RDX owner, initial impression with images-rdx2.jpg   New RDX owner, initial impression with images-rdx3.jpg   New RDX owner, initial impression with images-rdx1.jpg  

Last edited by lt8d; 03-13-2017 at 11:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lt8d:
Comfy (03-18-2017), TSX69 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Hopefully yours doesn't have the bugs that plagued my car initially.

Your idea about a change box is a good one as there isn't a great place for it otherwise. Mileage will vary a lot based on driving style. In town is a lot lower than highway - obviously. I highly recommend having your front door windows tinted to match the rears. Looks very clean. 25% is what you need. No idea about the cell phone holder. Someone else will chime in I am sure. A clear bra is also recommended if you are on the highway often. I love my all weather mats. It will save your interior.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
IT,

Do an online search for "cup holder ashtray." There are dozens of them. There are also "cup holder coin organizers." As long as you don't frequently need both cup holders in the center console they're a good alternative.

Cheers!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We got our base RDX a month ago, got the all season mats and rear cargo tray in the deal, got the rear cargo cover from here: Genuine OEM 2013-2017 Acura RDX Rear Area Cargo Cover (Black or Tan!) | eBay
Old 03-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the cell phone holder, if you are not using the CD player, then you could try the one that plugs into CD vent. My wife uses it in her TSX and loves it. In fact, it's the same brand as you are using now. I have not tried it in the RDX though.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Great and practical review
Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have had several Acura vehicles and think the RDX is a very good car, especially for the money. I note you bought the base. I have had the base rental and the Elite, which I have and Tech which my wife has is a nicer vehicle for many reasons. I liked my 14 RDX so much I got a 17.

I have priced the Lexus and Audi and they simply cost too much. Count me as very satisfied with my RDX's.
The following users liked this post:
romer (03-15-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Lost in translation

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Gas mileage on my '14 base FWD began improving at about 15k miles.
I have never reset the B tripmeter, which now reads 27.0 over the span of 28k miles.
My driving covers about 90% freeway, although frequent stop n' go traffic and occasional hilly terrain.
City driving definitely brings the metric down. My wife's plug-in Prius always gets 55mpg or better, no matter what.

The RDX certainly lacks the panache of a Cayenne or Q5, but the savings over lifetime ownership pretty much pays for a nice annual vacation.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by lt8d
Hi All,

After much thought and consideration, I chose to purchase a 2017 base RDX in modern steel metallic with ebony interior on Saturday. To be honest, I think I knew more about this car then the salesmen. (Been on this forum for a month reading everything...) I got a great price on the vehicle and it was hard to pass up. The dealer was able to do $4850.00 off the sticker price and the car came out to 35,014 out the door. And, the bank was even able to offer 0.9% apr which sounded too good to be true. Another dealer in my area wouldn't event budge on a 2016 base RDX with 10k miles and a listing price of 32,000.

Here are some of my other observations so far:
1) Where do you put your loose change??? The only place I can think of right now is the cell phone charger area in front of the shift knob but maybe in a small container. In my previous car, I tossed the coins in the ash tray and that worked out well.
2) Right now, I'm averaging 16.5 mpg with about 50% city driving/highway driving. A bit disappointed with this and I'm hoping this improves with less aggressive driving.
3) My car has the gap that people spoke about from the dashboard and the gauges. No big deal to me though
4) As my new family car, I think it has a great balance of space and acceleration is very nice. (My plan is to get my wife a tesla model 3 so we have the best of both worlds)
5) The LED headlights are so sexy and bright. The all white lights in the interior are a nice touch. I also appreciate the sleek design of the key fob.
6) My cell phone magnet mount doesn't stay on very well on the drivers side right vent. I would usually close the vent that my phone is connected in front of so that cold/hot air doesn't blow on the back of my phone but I'm sad that I can't close this vent. Does anyone else have something similar for their cell phones? I do not like those dashboard/window phone mounts
7) I also didn't realize that the windows come tinted already. This was nice

On my to buy/to do list:
Purchase all weather floor mats
Purchase a trunk cargo cover + cargo tray
Purchase a sun shade
Install fog lights

This is a universal truth. Salesmen are trained in sales tactics, not product knowledge.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lt8d
Install fog lights
Congrats! I have had a 2016 for over a year now and I love it. It does a great job of being fun enough to keep me interested and practical enough to be a family vehicle. I just bought the foglight attachments here: 08V38-TX4-200A | Acura LED Fog Light Attachment (RDX) - Bernardi Parts as well as LED fogs from here: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...to-xb-led.html

I am excited to get them installed. I think it is the one thing the front was missing!

I bought the rear cargo tray which was necessary as the carpet back there is a little fragile. The OEM Acura one is cheap plastic but it works and I like the symbol in it.

Have fun!
Old 03-26-2017, 02:25 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Will the OEM fog lights fit the pre facelift (13-15 RDX)? Can anyone confirm that please. thanks.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Comfy
Will the OEM fog lights fit the pre facelift (13-15 RDX)? Can anyone confirm that please. thanks.
The link I listed above is for 2016/2017. I don't see the part for earlier models on their site. You could try calling during the week. They helped me find a remote starter part I couldn't find through their site over the phone. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For coin, I have a cup in the driver door cubby, works great, it's out of the way and no rattle.

This cell phone holder for the vent works great. Was initially hesitant to clip anything to the vent, but it's been great for a heavy blackberry. I have it in the vent on the right of the steering wheel, left of the radio. Nothing is blocked.
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Great summary!

I love the fact that you did your research and then purchased the car unlike some folks....buy the car and then complain about why the colour is not shiny or why the dash is so hard or why the lights are not bright and the list goes on and on. It seems like they just went to the dealer and picked the car up lol.

Enjoy the ride and your list of improvements is great!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 2014 with the Tech package.

For coins I pulled out the "insert" in the armrest between the driver and passenger. I pushed it (mild snug fit) into the area in front of the shifter. All the coins (and here in Canada we have $1 and $2 coins!) go in there.

In my 2013 Escape we used a beer cosy in the driver door cupholder. Held coins great too. Some odd looks in the parking lot though!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:10 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgsxr
I have a 2014 with the Tech package.

For coins I pulled out the "insert" in the armrest between the driver and passenger. I pushed it (mild snug fit) into the area in front of the shifter. All the coins (and here in Canada we have $1 and $2 coins!) go in there.

In my 2013 Escape we used a beer cosy in the driver door cupholder. Held coins great too. Some odd looks in the parking lot though!
that's a neat idea. I'll try it soon. Thanks.