Need advice: 2016 RDX or 2015 TLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need advice: 2016 RDX or 2015 TLX

Hello All:

I have been lurking on the RDX and TL/TLX boards for a few years, but thought i would finally post and get some advice. Members from both boards have really provided me much more insight on the Acura brand and the its various models.

My 2003 TL (base)(bought new in May 2002) is slowly reaching its end with me.

A quick background on my TL:

My original went out in March 2013 with 128k; new transmission cost $4k per Acura dealer, but Acura kicked in $2k...so total cost to me $2k). Acura warranty on 2nd trans is 3yr/36k...i have 151k now...however, will probably need new tires in the next 8 months and new brakes 10 months.

I really like the look of the new Acura lineup especially the 2015 TLX and 2016 RDX. Since my 2003 TL was the base model, I would like to really upgrade with some bells and whistles on either TLX (SHAWD Adv) or RDX (AWD Adv or Tech with AcuraWatch). I've watched a number of videos reviews on both cars.

Don't know yet whether i will buy new or CPO. I have driven both cars and yes the SHAWD seems to hold the road better. I do like the feeling of the RDX sitting a little higher than a regular sedan.

Should I buy new or CPO for either model (noting the fact that CPO 2016 RDX may not be available until early 2016)? Current TL is prob worth $3k and not liking the fact that I may need to put in close to $2k for tires and brakes in the next 10 months. Would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Thanks.

Fairfaxgator
Old 07-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Can only speak for the 16 RDX. We have had it two weeks and just know we got the right vehicle for us. Wife really likes how you sit higher and have a better view then our accord. Good luck in your decision
Old 07-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Cruisin'

Puma Jim thanks...

What is the trim level on your RDX?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
I got the advance package
Old 07-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Cruisin'

Other than the ventilated front seats, 18'' wheels, and fog lights are there any other differences between the Tech with AcuraWatch vs Advance model? What made you choose the Adv over Tech/AcuraWatch?

Do agree with some that the 17'' wheels seem a bit undersized for the new RDX.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Fairfax, it boils down to what you want and need out of a vehicle...

RDX: have young kids, more commanding view of the highway, need the cargo space, like the SUV design, etc.

TLX: better gas mileage, performance, handling, don't have kids (or have older kids), don't need the cargo space, like the sleek sedan design, etc.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I've thought about both the RDX and TLX. Driven the V6 Advance and I4 tech TLX's a few times, but not recently. Drove the 2016 RDX Advance on Friday.

The RDX is a very nice CUV, but I realized as nice as it is, I'm just not a CUV type of person. A preference really, nothing fundamentally wrong with it. Just didn't feel right in it.

The TLX is for me. I really like the driving position, I like the quietness of the interior, I like the features and yes the value of the total package. BUT... the transmission thing really bugs me. I plan to keep my next car for many years so I don't want to deal with transmission issues after spending over $40K on it. So I'm waiting for the 2016's and see if there is anything that officially puts a bow on this issue and resolve it once and for all. I've waited nearly 9 years for a new car, I can handle a few more months.

If Acura can't fix it by then I may look elsewhere, but nothing else is on my radar right now. CPO 3-series is a possibility. At least I wouldn't expect the 3-series to be reliable. It can only surprise me. The TLX can only let me down.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
As mentioned depends on your situation and driving style.

If you have a needs like cargo capacity and/or family then the RDX would be a better choice. But if you don't have those priorities then go with the TLX sedan... as it is a much more fun car to drive.

Personally for me, my wife has a CUV so when the time comes to move on from my TSX, I will most likely get a CPO TLX SH-AWD Advance..
Old 07-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Go with what makes you happy.

I have a 3G TL which is fun to drive, my wife has the RDX Advance model. We've been taken the RDX on the long trips now, but I just don't get the same sense of enjoyment. The RDX has a good ride, good visibility, and has all the safety features, but just doesn't induce spirited driving in me.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Acura did me a huge favor by dumbing down the driving dynamics of the TLX compared to my 4G TL, so I'll be holding on to her for a long time. We just traded our 2010 MDX for the 2016 RDX AWD Advance. Didn't need the space of the MDX anymore and the MPG was atrocious. Only had the RDX for a month but I have no complaints thus far.

There is no comparison between the RDX and my '12 TL SH-AWD. I'm usually reminded by my body shifting and the evil stare of my girlfriend that the RDX doesn't corner like the TL...
Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
We have a similar scenario in our house. Back in the fall of 2012 the wife wanted the new RDX, and we went to the dealer and she drove the RDX, and then on a whim drove a SH-AWD TL. She immediately forgot her RDX desire and picked up a left over 2012 TL SH-AWD and has been in love since then - to the point that she's buying it out at lease-end this October. Shortly after that I needed a new car, and compared the RDX to the MDX, and while the RDX would have fit my needs, they had killer lease deals on base model MDX's that I ended up taking. Long story short, I didn't like the MDX after driving it for a couple of years, and leased an RDX AWD Tech this spring - one of the last 2015's before the 2016 came out.

As such I drive both vehicles back-to-back - and can say that they both serve a specific, different purpose (as others have said). (Note - I've driven a TLX and feel that for this comparison, my TL experience is close enough to the TLX to make them interchangable). The RDX drives very well - for a small SUV. But it cannot keep up with nor drive nearly as crisply and enjoyably as the SH-AWD TL. But the passenger egress and storage in the TL pales in comparison to what the RDX offers. If we're taking another couple out to dinner, it's always the RDX we take. And if we're running errands, the RDX is much easier to use (egress, storage). But if you want to take a drive on a lazy sunday (or you want to commute in traffic that needs handling/accelleration), the TL/TLX is much more satisfying.

So you can build a case for either vehicle to be a good investment and great vehicle to have - but it's the HOW that you'll use it that should drive your decision.

Good luck - andy
Old 07-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2016 RDX AWD tech with Acurawatch. I really love the advanced safety features such as blind spot monitor, cross traffic monitor, ACC, lane watch and LKAS.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone for the input. Yes agree that it depends on situation and driving style. We currently have a Honda Odyssey Touring (2008) and that is the family hauler. I think I am ready to try a different driving style from my current TL and the RDX may fit that need.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:50 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Glad to see that you are getting somewhere in your decision. As has been said before, only you can decide what's the best car for you. Now if we are comparing features /tech for the money, sedans will always have more tech compared to an SUV/ CUV.
You are buying the RDX for a different ride style and practical reasons (compared to TLX) and as long as you are okay with it, it's a GO. .
Old 07-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

If you're considering the TLX, then be cautious of the 9-speed transmission. I had one and already traded it because I couldn't tolerate the rough/jerky 1-2, 2-3 shifts, and its a common problem. I also had a marked vibration between 65-80mph that couldn't be corrected.

In fairness, I had the same vibration in my old RDX, but none of that in my new one. Whichever one you choose, take it for a LONG test drive at all speeds to see if there are any problems.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

ALL:

Thanks for the input.

I went to the local Acura dealership yesterday (Pohanka; i bought my 2003 TL from them 13 years ago).

The salesperson provided a TLX SH-AWD Adv to test drive. She explained all the features. It definitely took some getting used to...all the tech, the shifter (or lack thereof), and the ride itself. Definitely felt the odd shifting between some of the gears...but not a game changer. The ride was extremely quiet.

I then test drove the 2016 RDX AWD Adv...well what I thought was the AWD version as i had explained to the salesperson i wanted to test drive the AWD versions of the TLX and RDX. Unfortunately, i found out about the non-AWD RDX as my test drive was over and I looked at the sticker and noticed that the RDX was NOT the AWD version...i pointed that out to the salesperson who apologized profusely. By this time I was there for over an hour...time to go home. Will have to go back and drive the RDX AWD Adv.

As far as the tech and the way the driver sits, the RDX felt pretty good. Will provide more comments when I drive the AWD version.

So my next question: is it worth it to get the CPO version of either vehicle (taking into account that CPO 2016 RDX AWD Adv probably won't be available until sometime early next year)? Will the discount CPO vs New be worth it?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fairfaxgator

So my next question: is it worth it to get the CPO version of either vehicle (taking into account that CPO 2016 RDX AWD Adv probably won't be available until sometime early next year)? Will the discount CPO vs New be worth it?
I think that's a question you'll have to answer yourself. Right now, it's not too hard to find Advance models priced at $2K below MSRP. I'm sure it'll be closer to $3~4K by the first quarter of 2016. If you can afford it, why not go brand new versus CPO?

What's your target price?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 rdx
Old 07-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by yeoyes
I think that's a question you'll have to answer yourself. Right now, it's not too hard to find Advance models priced at $2K below MSRP. I'm sure it'll be closer to $3~4K by the first quarter of 2016. If you can afford it, why not go brand new versus CPO?

What's your target price?
New = $38k-39k

CPO = $35k-$36k
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

New = $38k-39k

CPO = $35k-$36k
It seems you have done excellent research on the subject. But again the question comes back to YOU, what are YOU comfortable with. It'll be different for each individual.
For me, I will buy new if I can afford it. But equally if my budget is strictly 35-36K, then I won't have any problem buying a lightly used car. Anyway after the first month of usage (or rather after the new car smell is gone), the new or CPO won't feel any different. Or may be you should wait a little longer so that dealers are willing to negotiate a bit more on the new RDX.
Good luck.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Comfy
It seems you have done excellent research on the subject. But again the question comes back to YOU, what are YOU comfortable with. It'll be different for each individual.
For me, I will buy new if I can afford it. But equally if my budget is strictly 35-36K, then I won't have any problem buying a lightly used car. Anyway after the first month of usage (or rather after the new car smell is gone), the new or CPO won't feel any different. Or may be you should wait a little longer so that dealers are willing to negotiate a bit more on the new RDX.
Good luck.
Thanks Comfy.

Yes, i have some time to wait...probably 8-10 months...before new brakes, tires, etc. Maybe dealers will still have a few 2016 RDX AWD Advanced around
Old 07-27-2015, 07:21 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Most of the time, Acura makes zero-to-min changes after the MMC. The +16 RDX will most likely stay the same for the 16-17-18 model years. The TLX is due for a MMC around the +17 model year and Acura has always been pretty tight lipped about any changes until an auto show. Most changes are cosmetic with a few tech updates; but, that was enough to make me wait until my +06 MMC TSX and +10 MMC MDX when I was looking (went pre MMC on my RDX because I like the styling better). Another good thing about +MMC Acura's is they usually get pretty solid by then with 2-3 years of TSB being addressed.

If you have time, I would wait until the MMC TLX is ready to come out to compared to the 15-16 models. By then, the 16 RDX will start to show up in CPO form along with +17 models. I usually keep my vehicles +150,000 miles and I rather wait to get what I want.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Most of the time, Acura makes zero-to-min changes after the MMC. The +16 RDX will most likely stay the same for the 16-17-18 model years. The TLX is due for a MMC around the +17 model year and Acura has always been pretty tight lipped about any changes until an auto show. Most changes are cosmetic with a few tech updates; but, that was enough to make me wait until my +06 MMC TSX and +10 MMC MDX when I was looking (went pre MMC on my RDX because I like the styling better). Another good thing about +MMC Acura's is they usually get pretty solid by then with 2-3 years of TSB being addressed.

If you have time, I would wait until the MMC TLX is ready to come out to compared to the 15-16 models. By then, the 16 RDX will start to show up in CPO form along with +17 models. I usually keep my vehicles +150,000 miles and I rather wait to get what I want.
Yes, agreed I do have some time and will wait to see if CPO RDXs show up in the next 8-10 months...
Old 07-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

UPDATE:

So things are changing in our household...my wife who primarily drives the family hauler (2008 Honda Odyssey Touring; 92k miles) is somewhat over it...things are breaking down (new alternator in May ($800), one sliding door is not working very well; and then on Wed (her birthday) someone swiped the rear bumper knocking out one of her sensors and scraping the bumper pretty good. No note left.

As a result, we maybe replacing the Odyssey first...with a more mid-size SUV...MDX is a bit pricey (even a CPO); like the new 2016 Pilot but want captains chairs in the 2nd row and they only come in the Elite model...Close $48k YIKES! new 2016 Sante Fe looks nice...

So thoughts...please.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
UPDATE:

So things are changing in our household...my wife who primarily drives the family hauler (2008 Honda Odyssey Touring; 92k miles) is somewhat over it...things are breaking down (new alternator in May ($800), one sliding door is not working very well; and then on Wed (her birthday) someone swiped the rear bumper knocking out one of her sensors and scraping the bumper pretty good. No note left.

As a result, we maybe replacing the Odyssey first...with a more mid-size SUV...MDX is a bit pricey (even a CPO); like the new 2016 Pilot but want captains chairs in the 2nd row and they only come in the Elite model...Close $48k YIKES! new 2016 Sante Fe looks nice...

So thoughts...please.
Three suggestions, none ideal:

Pilot EX has an msrp of c. $32k and is nicely tricked out. Maybe you can live without the cap chairs? But it's an all-new model, and will probably be close to msrp at this point.

Acura MDX starts at c. $44k, but is pretty lavishly equipped, plus discounts are available, making it more like 40k. For 8000 more than the Pilot it's a different level of vehicle.

Finally, and you and your wife are gonna dislike this, but maybe consider another Odyssey? It's of course been redesigned since you got yours, and the upper models have lots of nice features. More room than a Pilot or MDX, esp. for that third row. Big discounts are available.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Another very nice car in this class is the Nissan Murano. A friend of mine has it and I have been a passenger in it.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:28 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

UPDATE:
So things are changing in our household...my wife who primarily drives the family hauler (2008 Honda Odyssey Touring; 92k miles) is somewhat over it...
As a result, we maybe replacing the Odyssey first...with a more mid-size SUV...
It always happens like this. Whatever you plan or do, DW always gets the new car somehow . It has to happen. It's good in a way that you have time to decide your car selection until the next car purchase...or may be then the cycle would repeat itself .
Old 08-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Comfy
It always happens like this. Whatever you plan or do, DW always gets the new car somehow . It has to happen. It's good in a way that you have time to decide your car selection until the next car purchase...or may be then the cycle would repeat itself .
So true Comfy...so true...life gets in the way of dreams...:too cool:

And as the motto goes, happy wife...happy life!

I think what will happen is that we get my wife's midsize SUV in the next 2-3 months...i get my TL fixed and ride her off into the sunset...then get my RDX...

That being said, anyone shopped or have opinions on the Sante Fe (AWD/Ultimate) 6-seater with captains chairs? The 2015s getting heavy discounts as 2016s are showing up on the lot...
Old 08-01-2015, 11:24 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Or better yet, let her have the RDX, and you buy the TLX thereafter. Remember, this thread was about RDX or TLX. So you get to choose and enjoy both....

Regarding Santa Fe, you might want to check with "handfiler". I think he has gotten some experience with Hyundai/ Kia SUVs.

Last edited by Comfy; 08-01-2015 at 11:26 PM.