My two reasons to purchase a Acura over a Honda

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:11 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My two reasons to purchase a Acura over a Honda

While car shopping for the past few weeks, I had the opportunity to test drive the Acura RDX and the Honda CRV. For this comparison, I will only speak upon the differences between the Base RDX and the EX-L CRV as these are the 2 vehicles that I am considering.

Interior
Since Acura is a luxury brand, I expected to feel and see the quality workmanship and premium interior materials. Such as very soft leather, polished metal trim and elegant interior designs. For the Honda, I expected decent interior materials and more plastic throughout the interior. The base RDX comes with leatherette and the EX-L CRV is equipped with leather. The CRV's leather felt much nicer compared to the RDX leatherette. The materials for the dash,console, buttons seemed comparable for both vehicles. I was a bit disappointed in the RDX interior and impressed with the CRV interior since the CRV is a more affordable vehicle. I did however like the leather in the RDX with tech package but can not see myself justifying the extra cost. Conclusion: Tie

Exterior
Hands down, the Acura looks 10x better and the quality of the materials is noticeable to me. The jewel headlights look amazing and the construction of the vehicle looks solid. The CRV has more plastic and looks cheaper but also doesn't look too bad since they added LED taillights and Day time running lights. The rims of the CRV are the biggest turn off for me with the weird octopus design. Conclusion: Win for Acura

Technology
Honda takes this cake. In addition to all of the RDX features, the EX-L will include remote engine start, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, lane assist, a bigger screen and probably a few other features. These features seem nice but I can live without them. Conclusion: Win for Honda

Efficiency/ MPG
Since I live in Los Angeles and considering that I sit in bumper to bumper traffic almost every day, it almost makes no sense to purchase a vehicle with more than 200 horsepower. I mean where are you going to go? up to the next car 1 second faster? The RDX could have been more efficient in my opinion with a smaller engine like the CRV. The CRV had enough power to get up and go for me. The CRV wins with better MPG. Conclusion: Win for Honda

I'm still torn between both cars and I would essentially be purchasing the RDX for it's looks and the brand name. It's also hard to pass up the MPG, technology and more affordable price of the CRV.

For those of you that have compared both vehicles, is there something I'm not seeing or did not notice when comparing the interiors? Are my observations accurate?
Attached Thumbnails My two reasons to purchase a Acura over a Honda-cr-cars-inline-2017-honda-cr-v-pr-f-10-16.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Based on what you just listed as your "reasons" for buying each, it looks like the CR-V is better for you. RDX offers a number of things you can't really get in the segment as easily, like a V6 engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by kurtatx:
Comfy (02-19-2017), nist7 (02-19-2017), YeuEmMaiMai (02-23-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Since you are comparing the redesigned CRV to the old RDX, the issues are obvious. The interior design of RDX wasn't class leading even when fresh, but I still like the soft touch materials in RDX better than my Mercedes . Since lack of engine power / refinement or CVT doesn't seem to bother you, the CRV would be more appropriate and better in your situation.
If I were to choose between these two I would wait a year or two until the new redesigned RDX is available. The choices will become pretty clear then and these two cars won't be comparable for a while in any trim at that time.
P.S Get the CRV, there's nothing like a brand new design.

Last edited by Comfy; 02-19-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We looked at a lot of cars, Subaru Outback, CX-5, RAV4, CRV, Q5 and the RDX. Test drove top of the line 17 Touring CRV, interior felt cheap (even with leather) and felt gutless. Wife did not like the view out of the rear window, said it looked like a tunnel. Next stop was the Aura dealer, test drove a base model RDX and my wife really liked it. We're old and not impressed with either of the technology packages. Didn't care for the double infotainment screens either. An hour later we drove off with a dark grey 17 base model. My minor complaint is it could have a little more front leg room, but then its her car not mine, and we got a decent trade for her nine year old MX-5
Old 02-20-2017, 02:12 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really like the design of the RDX and feel that the style will still look good after many years. This is another one of my reasons to consider the RDX.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by lt8d
Thanks for the advice everyone. I really like the design of the RDX and feel that the style will still look good after many years. This is another one of my reasons to consider the RDX.
My wife really liked the style and look of the RDX when we were shopping. The buttery smooth V6 and 6 Spd A/T basically clinched the deal. She just didn't end up liking the power or CVT in the CRV. Went out to get her gas recently and ended up parking near a new CRV. The RDX, to her, had much more classic lines and this confirmed to her, once again, that she made the right decision when she saw them almost side by side. Style is a personal decision; however, I certainly agree with you that the RDX has a look that will continue to please after many years of ownership.

It will be interesting to see if there are any radical changes in the styling when the G3 comes out or if Acura stays the conservative course. I doubt they will push the envelope too far.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Doobiewah
It will be interesting to see if there are any radical changes in the styling when the G3 comes out or if Acura stays the conservative course. I doubt they will push the envelope too far.
There is a thread going on about the spy shots of new RDX and it looks like there are some big changes coming. Anyway I love my current RDX too much. .
Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
To me you are trying to convince yourself the RDX is for you even when your summary clearly favors the CRV. You will spend a lot more time driving the car than looking at the exterior. I would suggest you take a look at the Hyundai Tuscon in the Ultimate trim level as well. Good competitor to both cars, but has even more features available than either Honda/Acura product.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Upgrade to a higher trim of RDX then the tech is a tie too. now you're losing MPG but you got what you like..

There's one good convenience feature with the CRV that I like, which is the kick-start tailgate activation..
Old 02-22-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
To be fair you're comparing a new generation model (CRV) with the RDX which is on the last year before a major overhaul. It makes sense for the tech to be out of wack in the favor of the CRV.

Were I in your shoes I would wait (assuming you can) until the next gen RDX is rolled out. At that point you have more leverage in that:
1) If you want a 2017 RDX you can negotiate a better deal. We practically stole a 2016 CRV from Honda last Fall because they had to move them off the lots for the new generation CRV.
2) You can get a better price on the 2017 CRV as it won't still be in the BRAND NEW MODEL just rolled out phase.
3) You can decide if you like the next gen RDX enough to pony up the extra $$ to get it.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
It used to be that with Acura you got more power, more refinement, and more goodies at a better price than competing cars. Now a days, Honda gets stuff first and Acura is behind on their game.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just went though the same dilemma as you did. We really did like the CRV, however the big turn off for it us, was road noise, which you do not mention in your comments.
The RDX is much quieter, smoother and refined, and that's what we ended up buying.
One other consideration was that we decided to lease, and with the incentives on the Acura, our lease payments were actually less for what we believe to be a finer vehicle.
Good luck with whatever way you go!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:36 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by GrayBear
The RDX is much quieter, smoother and refined, and that's what we ended up buying.
!
That is very true and essentially the difference from it's Honda badged product, apart from the engine power. The OP's comparison seemed to omit this vital piece. For me these are the redeeming features of RDX which I enjoy every time I drive it.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

The OP should watch this too, but it may bias your decision further towards the RDX.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Funny, I was watching a review of the new CRV and it looks great and has a heated steering wheel. I cannot understand for the life of me why Honda gets these features 1st, other than they sell so many more Honda's and the competition is fierce to sell in volume, any advantage is mandatory. The new CRV is going to sell ton's. OMHO, it's nicer than the Escape and RAV4.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
They are feeling the pressure from the South Koreans.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Comfy
That is very true and essentially the difference from it's Honda badged product, apart from the engine power. The OP's comparison seemed to omit this vital piece. For me these are the redeeming features of RDX which I enjoy every time I drive it.
I did not notice loud road noise from the CRV, possibly because I was not looking out for it. I'm going to test drive the RDX once more this weekend before making up my mind. Is it also just me, but I am not fond of the design of the 2017 MDX front grille and would hope that the 2018 RDX does not have this design.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I did not notice loud road noise from the CRV, possibly because I was not looking out for it. I'm going to test drive the RDX once more this weekend before making up my mind. Is it also just me, but I am not fond of the design of the 2017 MDX front grille and would hope that the 2018 RDX does not have this design.
You can be nearly 100% certain that is the case. There are numerous spy shots of a camoed RDX or RDX mule with that new grille on it. Part of me is optimistic that they will design the vehicle around the grille vs slapping it on like they did with the MDX and TLX.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
The photo that has been on here (with the black draperies all over it and the grille visible) is actually an MDX to my eyes. The new grille is ultra-dull. I want my beak back.