Major Disappointment - No More Service Manuals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Major Disappointment - No More Service Manuals?

I have unsuccessfully been checking the Helm Inc. web site for the past year or so looking for the Service Manual for my 2014 RDX Tech. At first I thought it was a normal delay situation, perhaps Honda was allowing some time to make corrections and updates before publishing the manual, but recently I e-mailed Helm Inc. inquiring about availability and following is the answer I got:

“The Honda Service Manuals are only available online through Honda for download. Honda stopped printing the Service Manuals back in 2012. Please contact a Honda Dealer for the website”.

I then contacted Acura Client Relations and the agent there told me that manuals are no longer published, not even in electronic form, except that service information is available through Honda’s Service Express web site.

Well, Service Express charges you a minimum $20 for a one day subscription, so it is not cheap! I am in total disbelief Honda has decided to discontinue availability of Service Manuals to vehicle owners when this is an integral part of ownership for many people. I can see them forcing independent service shops to pay a fee to access information, or maybe even making the manuals available in electronic form only, but to put owners in a situation where they would have to spend what eventually amount to hundreds of dollars just to consult a service manual every time is just crazy.

Does anyone know whether the situation I have described above is in fact correct? I can see some advantages to Service Express since you could get the latest information, but heck charge owners a one time $150-$200 flat fee for lifetime unlimited access instead! There are some definite advantages to the proactive posture of studying the manual and knowing your vehicle ahead of time.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 PM
2006 Acura TL AT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ademello
I have unsuccessfully been checking the Helm Inc. web site for the past year or so looking for the Service Manual for my 2014 RDX Tech. At first I thought it was a normal delay situation, perhaps Honda was allowing some time to make corrections and updates before publishing the manual, but recently I e-mailed Helm Inc. inquiring about availability and following is the answer I got:

“The Honda Service Manuals are only available online through Honda for download. Honda stopped printing the Service Manuals back in 2012. Please contact a Honda Dealer for the website”.

I then contacted Acura Client Relations and the agent there told me that manuals are no longer published, not even in electronic form, except that service information is available through Honda’s Service Express web site.

Well, Service Express charges you a minimum $20 for a one day subscription, so it is not cheap! I am in total disbelief Honda has decided to discontinue availability of Service Manuals to vehicle owners when this is an integral part of ownership for many people. I can see them forcing independent service shops to pay a fee to access information, or maybe even making the manuals available in electronic form only, but to put owners in a situation where they would have to spend what eventually amount to hundreds of dollars just to consult a service manual every time is just crazy.

Does anyone know whether the situation I have described above is in fact correct? I can see some advantages to Service Express since you could get the latest information, but heck charge owners a one time $150-$200 flat fee for lifetime unlimited access instead! There are some definite advantages to the proactive posture of studying the manual and knowing your vehicle ahead of time.
From what i've heard, many automakers are trying to make it illegal to do your own work. The complexity of modern machines, inability to access manuals, increase in labor rates, and TOOLS that are specific to models, not just makes; all point to this goal, as well.

Honda makes $0 if they dont get paid.
From what i hear, majority of revenue is made in the service station of a dealership.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Pretty soon you will be essentially licensed users of motor vehicle belonging to the manufacturer even after paying full price. You won't own even a screw or bolt of the car since that intellectual property belongs to the manufacturer. .
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is old but I found this.
2012 Acura Auto Repair Factory Manuals & CDs
I wonder how independent shops get their data. I would be happy if I could get data on a brake job, valve adjustment, blower fan replacement, etc.