LKAS question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
LKAS question

When the LKAS system is activated, I see in the dashboard the warning when the car drifts into another lane; however it does not steer by itself to bring me "hands free" back in lane.
Is there another setting I need to engage other that pressing the MAIN and the LKAS buttons?
Old 08-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I don't find the system works extremely well, but it does work well enough that I can take my hands off the wheel for the time it takes to open a can of pop/soda.

Does the system work even occasionally for you, or never at all?

When the system is engaged, do you see the 2 vertical columns of dotted white lines in the MID?. Are the boxes hollow or solid white?.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This isn't a self driving car, as it states it's just an assist, nudging the wheel so you stay in your lane. That being said make sure the LKAS is also enable and not just the lane departure warning.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I don't find the system works extremely well, but it does work well enough that I can take my hands off the wheel for the time it takes to open a can of pop/soda.

Does the system work even occasionally for you, or never at all?

When the system is engaged, do you see the 2 vertical columns of dotted white lines in the MID?. Are the boxes hollow or solid white?.

the vertical lines are hollow.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by alexderaven
This isn't a self driving car, as it states it's just an assist, nudging the wheel so you stay in your lane. That being said make sure the LKAS is also enable and not just the lane departure warning.
Both the warning and LKAS are enabled.
Does the LKAS work in the same manner as in the RDX? On an an RDX loaner I drove for a couple of days, the car would steer by itself for about 20 seconds at a time. Not the case with my RDX.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:45 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalin
the vertical lines are hollow.
If you see the lines but they are hollow, then the LKAS isn't tracking the lanes. It's tracking and steering if the lines are solid.
However, if it's not tracking then it should not give you a lane departure warning.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Pro

If the lines are hollow, it means the system is turned on, but the camera does not see any lane markings on the road which it can follow.

Is the view of the camera obstructed by anything on the windshield?

Are you driving on roads that have painted lane markings?. The system will not work on gravel roads or roads without at least a clear center line.

And yes, your RDX should behave like the loaner RDX.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to be going a minimum speed, which I believe is 45 mph. Also, if the camera cannot detect the lane lines, the system will automatically disengage. You also cannot keep your hands off the wheel longer than some period. There are a number of other circumstances in which the system will not engage:

http://www.erinmillsacura.ca/acurawa...ystem-LKAS.htm
Old 08-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rolf65
You have to be going a minimum speed, which I believe is 45 mph. Also, if the camera cannot detect the lane lines, the system will automatically disengage. You also cannot keep your hands off the wheel longer than some period. There are a number of other circumstances in which the system will not engage:

Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) | Erin Mills Acura - Proudly serving the GTA and its surrounding communities
The speed is probably the issue as I tested on smaller highways and around the 40-45 mph range. However in the occasions that I did see the warning on the dashboard, I did not feel the steering wheel centering the car.
I will retest this coming week.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Racer

Both the warning and LKAS are enabled.
Does the LKAS work in the same manner as in the RDX? On an an RDX loaner I drove for a couple of days, the car would steer by itself for about 20 seconds at a time. Not the case with my RDX.
Sorry, I meant loaner MDX.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the MDX works differently. I also had a loaner MDX and it seemed to do more self-steering than my RDX, but I haven't turned on the LKAS in the RDX very often.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Is it just me, or what is up with having to press the steering wheel button to engage the lines everytime you start the car. To me it should be automatic.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:16 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I am in the camp of minimal assists. I turn it all off when I drive. I like the blind spot monitor, but the beeping on the LKAS drives me nuts.I much prefer to drive the car myself. My girlfriend loves the system though.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ I'd agree for now any drive less than an hour the lkas is more of a distraction until I learn the system better.

I can't wait to try the system on CA-5. 400mi straight shot SF to LA-divided highway 2-lanes each side...lots of big rigs and cars of various speeds.
my buddy drives this route regularly and says his rdx lkas with the cruise and braking functions on reduces a lot of driver fatigue.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 PM
Advanced

Used the LKAS and ACC on a 180 mile highway drive over the weekend. Amazing. Such a less stressful drive. I can see risks from complacency from over-reliance on the car, however. I caught myself taking my attention from the road.

BTW, also got 32 mpg in my 2016 AWD RDX on the highway portion of the trip,
Old 08-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
If you want Autopilot, buy a Tesla. Reading the owners manual would help too.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Racer

LKAS update

A couple of days ago I was finally able to test the system and ended up disappointed. By no means I expect the car to drive itself, but I think that if the features are there, they should work. In the MDX loaner I drove, the system worked flawlessly. Either the RDX has a lesser refined version of it, or my system needs some sort of calibration.
Although it almost always warned about a lane drift, about 50% of the time, it would not self correct. I noticed that even when the system is engaged and the lines are solid, the car had the tendency to drive uncomfortably close to the left stripes. If the road curved more than slightly, it would drive straight into the other lane.
On the other hand, the ACC worked great. Do the brake lights turn on when the car brakes by itself?
Old 08-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Consider getting it checked out. As I say, mine worked well. I don't by any stretch consider it to be autonomous, but mine self-turned through moderately significant curves.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Instructor

A couple of days ago I was finally able to test the system and ended up disappointed. By no means I expect the car to drive itself, but I think that if the features are there, they should work. In the MDX loaner I drove, the system worked flawlessly. Either the RDX has a lesser refined version of it, or my system needs some sort of calibration.
Although it almost always warned about a lane drift, about 50% of the time, it would not self correct. I noticed that even when the system is engaged and the lines are solid, the car had the tendency to drive uncomfortably close to the left stripes. If the road curved more than slightly, it would drive straight into the other lane.
On the other hand, the ACC worked great. Do the brake lights turn on when the car brakes by itself?
did you notice the amber warning 'steering wheel' as you drifted into another lane?...
i noticed that happens if i wanted to drift into a unoccupied lane without a blinker or would you rather have to override the system to nudge it over?
The rdx system seems more subtle than the crv and RAV4 I tested...I'm hoping it will take time getting used to and I'll learn to appreciate the system being not in your face with abrupt changes, flashing lights and beeps.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Himecraig
did you notice the amber warning 'steering wheel' as you drifted into another lane?...
i noticed that happens if i wanted to drift into a unoccupied lane without a blinker or would you rather have to override the system to nudge it over?
The rdx system seems more subtle than the crv and RAV4 I tested...I'm hoping it will take time getting used to and I'll learn to appreciate the system being not in your face with abrupt changes, flashing lights and beeps.
The amber warning shows either left or right stripe lanes. There is also the steering wheel alert when the car senses that you haven't made any steering inputs for 20 seconds or so.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: LKAS. I am surprised that the government safety agencies allow any system where the driver can take his hands off the wheel.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by R. White
Re: LKAS. I am surprised that the government safety agencies allow any system where the driver can take his hands off the wheel.
^how about when the captain Is enjoying a cup of coffee flying across Kansas while on autopilot

Right now the feeling of driving hands free with LKAS reminds me of the first time I did so on my bicycle...scary daredevil.
total awareness of the system computer is the missing key when I read about autopilot accidents.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Advanced

It is a safety feature, it mitigates - to an extent - the current epidemic of distracted driving.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by R. White
In Canada they are encouraging the use of hands free devices. Over this long weekend the police are clamping down on drivers who are using handheld electronic devices. I guess the electric steering in our RDX is technically a handheld electronic device.

This LKAS system may just be the solution to all of our concerns.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I find the Lane Keeping option very relaxing when driving long distances on the highways. However, it does need good lane marking to engage/remain engaged. After I had the vehicle ('16 RDX Advanced) for a while, I discovered the instrument display where the Lane Keeping display white lines are bigger along with the cruise control setting. Much easier to see at a glance.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

I had 2016 MDX as loaner and noticed that LKAS works better than RDX. It vibrates the steering wheel and pushes right back into the lane automatically (not the annoying warning sound in the RDX), even without LKAS enabled from the steering wheel.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

IF the LKAS works more positively on the MDX, maybe it's partially because the MDX costs about 10K more. Going from zero on other cars, I'm quite happy with the system (especially the adaptive cruise control) on my '16 RDX. However, I find the LKAS especially doesn't keep up with the vehicle above 65 mph when the road curves. I treat the LKAS as an assist which allows me to monitor other vehicles better.

I would certainly be thinking of upgrading to an '18 or a '19 if it included some cameras that would aid in parking. I have little sense of what the wheels are doing when nearing aa curb while parking. The scratches on the wheels will verify that. Overall, I would rate the RDX as the best and most comfortable ride of any SUV I've owned.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

Someone asked on this thread if the brake lights come on with auto braking. I think they do, but would like to know for sure.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same issue. My LKAS on my 2016 RDX doesn't keep me in the lanes on the left side. When the road would curve right, the car would move outside the lanes on the left side. The LKAS system is activated and it sees the lane. Seems to be fine on the right side. Anyone have the same issue?

I've taken the car in a couple times and the dealer "realigned" it but I seem still have the same issue...
Old 12-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Realigning the LKAS is what they call a smoke break.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
I find the LKAS system often fails in wet weather - evidently the moisture makes the lane markings more difficult to detect.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
If you can't see the markings, neither can the system. I find Oklahoma's markings especially bad when they're wet. Kansas' are surprisingly good.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
To sum up my reflections on this thread... I think that LKAS is best understood as a helpful, fallback system when (a) you're going more than 45 mph; (b) you remembered to engage the system; (c) conditions are appropriate for lane detection, and (d) you've taken your eyes off the road momentarily for some reason and start to drift out of your lane. I agree that the system isn't very effective at recovery in such situations, but at least you're given an audible alarm.