Key fob and emergency key.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key fob and emergency key.

Hi Folks,
I just purchased a 2017 Rdx tech with remote start. So I received 4 key fobs. Are 2 of the key fobs suppose to have the emergency key in the keys fob? Looks like I'm missing it.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Did you buy new? The RDX Loaner I had did have a silver metal bottom that was the emergency key - Can't tell from the angle you're holding the key, but looks like its the key I had that should have the emergency key.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you got 4 keys?! I only got 2 with mine. And yes, it looks like the emergency is missing, unless when you get the remote start option, they give you a different set of fobs and reuse the emergency key. This can be because they dealer installed the remote start feature instead of it coming from the factory, which explains why you got 4 keys instead of 2. (2 original keys, 2 keys that have the remote start function)

Old 06-27-2016, 07:19 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Contact the dealer ASAP and report the missing keys. You just paid for it.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks folks. I contacted the dealer and since I got the remote start option, they do reuse the emergency key which explains the blanks on the original key fobs.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
So --- you had remote start installed by dealer?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I don't understand it. So you got remote start installed at dealer. Why would they take your original key out? What use could they possibly have with it? It's already cut for your car. They can't use it for any other car. I would demand it to be returned. Or call Acura corporate for an explanation.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
I don't understand it. So you got remote start installed at dealer. Why would they take your original key out? What use could they possibly have with it? It's already cut for your car. They can't use it for any other car. I would demand it to be returned. Or call Acura corporate for an explanation.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like they simply didn't give/cut OP emergency keys for the remote start fobs - they "reused" the original. OP has 2 original fobs and 2 remote start fobs - they simply used the emergency keys from the original fob in the remote start fob... I'd be a little pissed (since the remote start is likely $700-$1000+) that they didnt cut me 2 more emergency keys for a full set (given that they aren't that expensive)
Old 06-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like they simply didn't give/cut OP emergency keys for the remote start fobs - they "reused" the original. OP has 2 original fobs and 2 remote start fobs - they simply used the emergency keys from the original fob in the remote start fob... I'd be a little pissed (since the remote start is likely $700-$1000+) that they didnt cut me 2 more emergency keys for a full set (given that they aren't that expensive)
You are correct, they don't come with the emergency key if the Remote Start was an after build install so they reuse the original cut keys. For example, if any of us wanted to purchase the remote start module from the parts department and install it ourselves, we can. Obviously, we wouldn't get another set of emergency keys with our "kit" since they are not universal. The fact that the poster got 4 fobs is awesome, that's two extra fobs. I bet they got 2 Driver 1 keys and 2 Driver 2 keys. One set of original fobs and the second set of remote start fobs that have the extra button.

If this remote option was installed from the factory, the owner would have only received 2 fobs in total which are the Remote Start fobs. Mystery solved.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:42 PM
Pro

"The fact that the poster got 4 fobs is awesome, that's two extra fobs."

Hardly "awesome" --- they paid for the two extra fobs as part of the remote start package. I'm sure the OP can get two more keys cut ----- at about $125 per.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Ok so someone please enlighten me. If I take my RDX to a dealer to install the remote start, they will give me two extra remote fobs, right.... ... and.... will they remove my existing metal key???
Old 06-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Yes comfy, they use your existing metal key for the Remote start remote. So you'll have 4 key fobs, 2 emergency metal keys.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why didnt u just get the Adv that comes with remote start?
Old 07-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Pro

Less than scrupulous dealers (is there some other kind?) have been known to not return the original fobs once the keys are removed and placed in the new remote ones. I would want to keep the "old" fobs as a back-up.

Question for OP or anyone: Are the new remotes labeled Driver 1 and Driver 2?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageRDX
You are correct, they don't come with the emergency key if the Remote Start was an after build install so they reuse the original cut keys. For example, if any of us wanted to purchase the remote start module from the parts department and install it ourselves, we can. Obviously, we wouldn't get another set of emergency keys with our "kit" since they are not universal. The fact that the poster got 4 fobs is awesome, that's two extra fobs. I bet they got 2 Driver 1 keys and 2 Driver 2 keys. One set of original fobs and the second set of remote start fobs that have the extra button.

If this remote option was installed from the factory, the owner would have only received 2 fobs in total which are the Remote Start fobs. Mystery solved.
Actually no. With our Advance package we received two fobs. Driver one has remote start, Driver two does not. Kind of silly, but it does allow you to carry a smaller fob when you want to.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya with the Advanced, Driver1 key fob(bigger) has the remote start-Driver 2 is just normal smaller size.
but she has the Tech package and had it installed at the dealer, so im assuming she has 2 New Big key fobs(both with remote start up)
and she has the two original key fobs (which they took the keys out of and put in the new key fobs)
Old 07-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Yes new remotes are labeled driver 1 and 2 and can set seat memory etc.

Originally Posted by dirleton
Less than scrupulous dealers (is there some other kind?) have been known to not return the original fobs once the keys are removed and placed in the new remote ones. I would want to keep the "old" fobs as a back-up.

Question for OP or anyone: Are the new remotes labeled Driver 1 and Driver 2?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 PM
Pro

Odd that you can't buy a "Driver 1" fob with remote from parts. If one exists why not make it available to those of us who would like one for each driver?