If not the RDX then what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:09 PM
KDX
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
For those referring to Kia and Hyundai cars, kindly check out the new CRV (which is essentially their competitor). It's gorgeous and simply will annihilate the competition. The Koreans were having a field day just because their product cycles were off by a few years and the cars looked up to date. Not any more. Guess they didn't se the CRV coming. .
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I agree, the new CRV is a real step up from the old one, and IMHO is a knockout. If that is a prelude to what we can expect from the new RDX, it's going to be amazing. I think Acura knows where their bread is buttered and need a home run with the RDX.
Originally Posted by chickdr
I guess time will tell. Honda just copied Hyundai by moving to a smaller turbo 4 from the older 2.4l power plant. I expect Hyundai will up the power of the Tuscon as they have a 201hp version used in other models. They still don't offer all the bells and whistles the Tuscon has either. Hopefully the next gen RDX will offer at least as much as the '16 Tuscon has now.
I bought a 2017 CR-V Touring today. It's very nice.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
For those referring to Kia and Hyundai cars, kindly check out the new CRV (which is essentially their competitor). It's gorgeous and simply will annihilate the competition. The Koreans were having a field day just because their product cycles were off by a few years and the cars looked up to date. Not any more. Guess they didn't se the CRV coming. .
The CRV has nothing on the Koreans. Nothing to write home about with a cvt and 1.5T combo. Looks are subjective but if it were up to me, I would be driving a tucson 1.6T with the 7 speed DCT or the sportage with the 240hp engine any day of the week over a CRV. Though the one thing I love about the new CRV is that is really pushes the envelope for what a honda has ever offered. Things like full LED headlights, heated steering wheel, auto rear lift gate, pano roof, heated rear seats, auto highbeams, auto wipers....etc. But this is still not as well equipped as some koreans.

I haven't seen the new CRV in person (I think from online pics it looks awesome, certainly better than the Sportage though, tucson maybe as well) just that the uber conservative powertrain makes me not able to consider it seriously. With that note, the CRV still hits 60 in 7.5s...VERY impressive for the powertrain. But I want to preface this by mentioning that I am talking about the Santa fe (which is due for a FMC soon and I am certain is going to be simply amazing) and the Sorento exclusively when I say the CRV has nothing on the Koreans, even though I said I would take the tuscon and sportage over it.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Looking to replace our 1G RDX. We're close to narrowing down to the Q5. Looked at the Macan as well but economically it didn't make sense. For fun, hell yah! It's too bad Acura dumb down the fun factor in the RDX.

I would absolutely stay away from the NX or heck even the latest RX. Had both for 2 days each as loaners. Absolutely disgusted to find the same joystick crap navigation in both. I current have the new IS with the same crap infosystem. It's the one thing that make me hate my IS and would never buy a Lexus again. Trust me, you will absolutely hate it to the point of not wanting to use it to change anything in the car. Just watch the latest episode of The Grand Tour. Lexus absolutely f up ergonomic in all their new cars. The interior looks nice but the layout and equipments are completely useless.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by KDX
I bought a 2017 CR-V Touring today. It's very nice.

Congrats - they look like a really nice SUV. Be interested to hear your impressions soon. I'm wondering about how they feel power-wise? I recently drove a new Mazda CX-5, with the larger engine option (I think 180 HP) up to Tahoe and there were no issues with lack of power. Doesn't blast up the mountain like my 08 RDX , which a beast on the mountain roads, but plenty of power nonetheless.

Originally Posted by cFoo
I'm in the same boat. Looking to replace our 1G RDX. We're close to narrowing down to the Q5. Looked at the Macan as well but economically it didn't make sense. For fun, hell yah! It's too bad Acura dumb down the fun factor in the RDX.
Welcome to dilemma of us 1G owners looking to move to a newer vehicle without losing the fun factor. I'm holding tight right now, since I'm only at 57k miles and no issues. Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 01-31-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Congrats - they look like a really nice SUV. Be interested to hear your impressions soon. I'm wondering about how they feel power-wise? I recently drove a new Mazda CX-5, with the larger engine option (I think 180 HP) up to Tahoe and there were no issues with lack of power. Doesn't blast up the mountain like my 08 RDX , which a beast on the mountain roads, but plenty of power nonetheless.

Welcome to dilemma of us 1G owners looking to move to a newer vehicle without losing the fun factor. I'm holding tight right now, since I'm only at 57k miles and no issues. Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
This is my current dilemma. I absolutely loved my 1G RDX and still miss it severely. Yes the MDX has a more active sh-awd system, 300hp, wider tires and overall body width and yes it has magnetic shocks but it absolutely doesn't hold a candle to the RDX.

In fact nothing reliable that is currently on the used market does. I considered a used Q5 but man the reliability stuff scares me, I considered a tiguan, again the reliability stuff scares me and also too small for me. I considered the XC60 but reliability is also a concern and it's dated as hell and doesn't handle well from what I read. So my last option and what I have decided on is a 2012-2013 Kia sorento SX and selling my MDX. The Sorento has dual flow dampener shocks for a germanic firm ride and less body roll, it also has true hydraulic steering for amazing steering feel, it is reliable as hell while offering a V6 and a 6 speed auto and lastly it has all the features I want like cooled seats, heated steering wheel, backup cam, nav, power fold mirrors, pano roof...etc. It really checks all the boxes and looks fricken awesome while doing it.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:21 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

My brother has a Tiguan as his family hauler and it has been flawless. This is why the Q5 is on my list.

Just for the purpose of discussion. My Lexus 2014 IS is the most unreliable car I've ever owned. Yes, Lexus is number 1.
- 3 dead batteries (stranded at the worst possible location each times)
- 3 dead fuel injectors (stranded on the highway the day before Xmas). It took 7 days to get all the parts
- bank 2 exhaust manifold just replaced. Caused by failed car due to failed fuel injectors
Old 02-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
My brother has a Tiguan as his family hauler and it has been flawless. This is why the Q5 is on my list.

Just for the purpose of discussion. My Lexus 2014 IS is the most unreliable car I've ever owned. Yes, Lexus is number 1.
- 3 dead fuel injectors (stranded on the highway the day before Xmas). It took 7 days to get all the parts
- bank 2 exhaust manifold just replaced. Caused by failed car due to failed fuel injectors
FYI, VW apparently just surpassed Toyota as the world's best-selling carmaker.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Originally Posted by Skidoor
Not at all surprising. The Japanese sat on their dull asses these last few years hoping reliability will help them sell cars.

Not long ago Honda was pretty much king of 4 cylinders. They attempted turbo in the RDX and gave up. Now they're trying to get back into the 4 cylinders game while stuffing the aging V6 anywhere they can.

It's pretty much the same with Toyota. The same boring V6 in anything they can fit it into.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW’s settlements prohibit the company or its dealers from encouraging consumers to buy a new VW over any other brand. The automaker overcame its diesel scandal to dethrone Toyota Motor Corp. last year as the world’s best-selling automaker for the first time, propelled by surging demand in China.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank you for that, but I am not satisfied with the repair that VW has come out with in subsequent years for the tfsi engine. The Q5 and tiguan are hardly related though, different transmissions and engines. Different AWD systems and platforms. So you can't really relate one to the other. However I beleieve the V6 q5's are very reliable now.

Not at all surprising. The Japanese sat on their dull asses these last few years hoping reliability will help them sell cars.

Not long ago Honda was pretty much king of 4 cylinders. They attempted turbo in the RDX and gave up. Now they're trying to get back into the 4 cylinders game while stuffing the aging V6 anywhere they can.

It's pretty much the same with Toyota. The same boring V6 in anything they can fit it into.
Not sure if you are new here, but I already really like you because of this post. My sentiments exactly.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RDX10
So my last option and what I have decided on is a 2012-2013 Kia sorento SX and selling my MDX. The Sorento has dual flow dampener shocks for a germanic firm ride and less body roll, it also has true hydraulic steering for amazing steering feel, it is reliable as hell while offering a V6 and a 6 speed auto and lastly it has all the features I want like cooled seats, heated steering wheel, backup cam, nav, power fold mirrors, pano roof...etc. It really checks all the boxes and looks fricken awesome while doing it.
pretty happy with our new sorento.
Attached Thumbnails If not the RDX then what?-img_0179.jpg   If not the RDX then what?-img_0204.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 07:12 PM
KDX
Cruisin'

Thanks. I just put approx 1300kms on it in 2 days. It's comfortable to drive and I like it a lot. My Santa Fe had 265hp so it's not comparable, but it does have enough power to satisfy me.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 PM
KDX
Cruisin'

The 2017 CR-V has a 12 way adjustable drivers seat, heated steering wheel (Canada), panoramic sun roof (Canada) and 2 USB ports in the rear. The next generation RDX will be a lot nicer than this generation.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jason330i
pretty happy with our new sorento.
That Sorento looks sick! I wanted a 2012 SX in titanium as well, but in Canada that wasn't available until 2014 on the SX. If I was to get a brand new Sorento SXL right now, I would be a tough choice between black, Titanium, and Silver. I would likely get silver though.

How do you like it and what color interior did you go with? I am currently between getting new and buying a good conditon used 2012-2013 model (I love the exterior design of that model the most).

By the way I am sorry Silental, I don't mean to derail your thread and turn it into the Korean celebration thread. I'm really sorry about that.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KDX
Thanks. I just put approx 1300kms on it in 2 days. It's comfortable to drive and I like it a lot. My Santa Fe had 265hp so it's not comparable, but it does have enough power to satisfy me.

Holy cow! What were you doing, driving around the block all night in your new ride? Seriously though, glad you enjoying it.

I was just watching the Redline review on YouTube for the new CRV. That was filmed right here where I live, just over the Golden Gate Bridge. Cracked me up about the USB ports in the back seat for the "screaming kids" Lol.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

That Sorento looks sick! I wanted a 2012 SX in titanium as well, but in Canada that wasn't available until 2014 on the SX. If I was to get a brand new Sorento SXL right now, I would be a tough choice between black, Titanium, and Silver. I would likely get silver though.

How do you like it and what color interior did you go with? I am currently between getting new and buying a good conditon used 2012-2013 model (I love the exterior design of that model the most).
Very happy with the Sorento so far. It is pretty much a top of the line 2017 SXL AWD. Only two interior choices for this trim in the USA so went with black. The ivory is way too light for us.

Comparing the Sorento to our 16 RDX, I would say the Sorento beats the RDX in every way except with the engine (RDX is faster), headlights (jewel eye perform better), lane keep assist (Sorento has none and I actually like Acuras), and of course name recognition/resale value.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Very happy with the Sorento so far. It is pretty much a top of the line 2017 SXL AWD. Only two interior choices for this trim in the USA so went with black. The ivory is way too light for us.

Comparing the Sorento to our 16 RDX, I would say the Sorento beats the RDX in every way except with the engine (RDX is faster), headlights (jewel eye perform better), lane keep assist (Sorento has none and I actually like Acuras), and of course name recognition/resale value.
I think we have thr same options here. My favorite is the merlot. I love the ivory but imagine cleanup would be a daily thing. The RDX is smaller and possibly lighter. But I like the MUCH more modern KIA engine (DOHC vs SOHC and DI for port injection). In my experience with multiple iterations of the jewel eyes they only light up the road right in front of the car, otberwise good HID's are better any day of the week. You have the adaptive lights too right? I love those as well.

I don't think that resale is as bad on Kia's anymore. I still see 2011 sorento EX-Lux models with mid decent mileage going around 20k. With every subsequent generation resale has been stronger and the resale of top end models is MUCH better than that of low end models.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Smile

Cantex, You need an avatar, man! Here's one you can use.

Awesome! Done. Now every time I logon I can remind myself what a wise decision it was to move on from the RX350. This will cause bad dreams for sure. I am remided of the dozens of times I did Cancel instead of Resume because of my clumsy fingers. Ergonomically it just sucked. This is just a cost saving to reduce the complexity of steering wheels across the Toyota/Lexus spectrum and diminshes the brand in my eyes. We were so happy to be cruising down road with usable controls in our (1 Honda and 4 Acuras after that - Crosstour, TSX, TLX and 2 RDXs).

Last edited by CanTex; 02-03-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:10 AM
KDX
Cruisin'

Holy cow! What were you doing, driving around the block all night in your new ride? Seriously though, glad you enjoying it.

I was just watching the Redline review on YouTube for the new CRV. That was filmed right here where I live, just over the Golden Gate Bridge. Cracked me up about the USB ports in the back seat for the "screaming kids" Lol.
I went to visit one of my brothers who put on a full paint protection kit (3M Pro) on my vehicle. I like to have it done as soon as possible.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:31 AM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Not sure if you are new here, but I already really like you because of this post. My sentiments exactly.
I grew up with Honda. Learned to drive in a civic, bought a Prelude as a first car. Upgraded to S2000, girlfriend had a 1st gen CRV, upgraded her to a 2G CRV when she became a wife, 1G RDX when we had our first kid, gave up the S2K for a TL, gave up the TL because FWD torque steer bored me to death, got the IS thinking it'll be fun and reliable. Bitterly disappointed in the reliability department. Now I need to upgrade the RDX. Bitterly disappointed to see where Honda has taken the company over the years. Just another bitter old man missing his glory days Glad to see someone agreed with my sentiments!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I grew up with Honda. Learned to drive in a civic, bought a Prelude as a first car. Upgraded to S2000, girlfriend had a 1st gen CRV, upgraded her to a 2G CRV when she became a wife, 1G RDX when we had our first kid, gave up the S2K for a TL, gave up the TL because FWD torque steer bored me to death, got the IS thinking it'll be fun and reliable. Bitterly disappointed in the reliability department. Now I need to upgrade the RDX. Bitterly disappointed to see where Honda has taken the company over the years. Just another bitter old man missing his glory days Glad to see someone agreed with my sentiments!
I have owned so far a 1G RDX and a 2G MDX but this is where my Acura days end for a long time. Besides my MDX being a lemon, the RDX was bullet proof. But sadly no current Acura product really speaks to me. They are boring, and laid back, and nothing really grabs my attention. The lastest gen of RDX is moved to the opposite side of the spectrum and doesn't appeal to me for that reason. The latest MDX is nice, but over priced and the interior feels of a lesser quality than other vehicles at that price range IMHO. I don't want a sedan or car so Acura and Honda are out of my search pool. You might want to consider the Koreans, that is where I am going next. I only ever owned Germans, got sick of the constant headache. I then decided to try Japanese models and thought to go Acura rather than Lexus or Infiniti, RDX was nice but too small, moved to MDX, total lemon. That leaves me between the Americans and Koreans. Going Korean this time I hope, possibly even American.

By the way I like the story, thanks for sharing
Old 02-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
If you want something that offers a better safety system and does not bust a budget in 2... then get an outback 3.6R with Eyesight. A totally loaded Outback will cost you $40,1XX here and you most likely could get it for less.

eyesight
HID lighting
Reverse auto-brake
blind spot detection (side and rear with cross traffic)
adaptive cruse control
Real AWD, no slip and grip here..
Leather
Moon roof
keyless entry/push button start
auto up down front windows

plus a ton of stuff I have no room to list
Old 02-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Gonna check out all the models, RDX, F-Pace, MKC, Jeep Cherokee, etc., at the upcoming Chicago auto show in about a week. Can't wait. Not waiting for a 2018 Acura to find out what it's gonna be. Might even look at the Korean offerings.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by silental
F-Pace
I have a colleague at work that has with a red one. Sure are nice looking.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Gonna check out all the models, RDX, F-Pace, MKC, Jeep Cherokee, etc., at the upcoming Chicago auto show in about a week. Can't wait. Not waiting for a 2018 Acura to find out what it's gonna be. Might even look at the Korean offerings.
Good move! Keep an open mind with the Koreans, I promise you are going to be VERY impressed. Also come back here and let us know how you feel about the MKC (it is one of my favorites, but I feel like it's too small). I am in LOVE with the F-Pace, absolutely love it. But it needs a couple years to work out some kinks.
silental (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
If you want something that offers a better safety system and does not bust a budget in 2... then get an outback 3.6R with Eyesight. A totally loaded Outback will cost you $40,1XX here and you most likely could get it for less.

eyesight
HID lighting
Reverse auto-brake
blind spot detection (side and rear with cross traffic)
adaptive cruse control
Real AWD, no slip and grip here..
Leather
Moon roof
keyless entry/push button start
auto up down front windows

plus a ton of stuff I have no room to list
The Outback has matured significantly since we first drove one in 2010. A longtime colleague surprised us - after years of Acuras starting with an Integra he bought a fully-loaded Outback and wondered why he waited so long. He also owns a Lexus EX350 that his wife won't get into because of the "bomb" of a passenger airbag that still awaits replacement. On the Outback it is still a hard sell with my wife because it looks like a station wagon. But now there's a new Subaru dealer just a few miles away near DFW airport *. Though we are commited to becoming a one-car family again when the TLX lease expires, if I ever decided to get that second car again the Outback would be on my list. Acura has nothing for me - we don't need two RDXs.

* There's also a rumor of a new Acura dealer negotiating for land in the same area. Yay! Less travel for service.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 1G RDX with 180k miles on it. No major issues other than the clutch/stator on the AC requiring replacement ~ 150k. I am also looking at the Outback, went for test drive, got quotes, etc, but will now wait until the 18' models because word out of Chicago auto show is the infotainment unit is set to receive many upgrades like android auto and apple car play to name a few. The Outback 3.6R Touring model is most likely going to be my next vehicle. It was smooth, and very quiet.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

I owned a couple of Subarus and I really wanted to like them. But their reliability and refinement is just not up to the level of Toyota or Honda yet.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:33 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I owned a couple of Subarus and I really wanted to like them. But their reliability and refinement is just not up to the level of Toyota or Honda yet.
1+ to this. I'd done it with the recent Subaru and that was my impression as well. May be they'll improve in future, but Acura isn't gonna lay quiet for that long. The indication being the current CRV which in my opinion will be a home run by the year end.
As said before the new RDX will give a knockout punch. Just because its product cycle is long in the tooth, doesn't mean RDX is an inferior car. If you like Hyundai or Subaru or Chinese , go for it by all means. We'll be here. .
Old 02-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

This is exactly what I was thinking. I like the current styling direction of Subaru and they are starting to have some really cool features like adaptive headlights and that eyesight system. But at the end of the day I can't help but feel they are cheap as hell when I sit in them. Otherwise the interiors don't look that good and overall the drivetrains disappoint me. The other thing is that there is always a common list of issues with each subaru model that is huge (cost wise) and isn't fixed for the whole product cycle. A.K.A head gasket leak, or CVT failure. We have a member who just joined who had to replace the CVT on his forester MULTIPLE times. I was looking at buying a 2010 Forester XT before I bought my RDX and something really stuck out to me, multiple owners were stating things like "new turbo" or "new engine"....etc. Some people even changed multiple large components on the same car. For that reason I decided to stay far away.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Good move! Keep an open mind with the Koreans, I promise you are going to be VERY impressed. Also come back here and let us know how you feel about the MKC (it is one of my favorites, but I feel like it's too small). I am in LOVE with the F-Pace, absolutely love it. But it needs a couple years to work out some kinks.
Will do on the MKC. One of my neighbors has one (just noticed it while walking my dog) and it is really sharp looking. Not sure what year. It has an "EcoBoost" badge on the rear. "Too small" sounds like a problem for me since I'm trying to go to something bigger/taller (mostly taller), for my frame (6'3, 225 lbs.) from an '05 TL.. My wife will be with me...and knowing her...if she likes it...it's a GO!!!! You married guys will know what I mean.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Will do on the MKC. One of my neighbors has one (just noticed it while walking my dog) and it is really sharp looking. Not sure what year. It has an "EcoBoost" badge on the rear. "Too small" sounds like a problem for me since I'm trying to go to something bigger/taller (mostly taller), for my frame (6'3, 225 lbs.) from an '05 TL.. My wife will be with me...and knowing her...if she likes it...it's a GO!!!! You married guys will know what I mean.
They really do look quite good. I haven't sat in one yet, I have sat in/drove the escape for a couple months as a rental and was alright at 6'1 but I remember really hating the lack of storage (but that's unrelated). I sold my 2007 RDX because it was too small for me but other taller people who weigh more found it more comfortable than the MDX so don't take my word for it obviously. All MKC's have an ecoboost, but the one you want is the 2.3T with 280hp and 305lb/ft lol. The reason I really like the MKC is that engine, the design, and the fact it comes with a lot of really nice small luxury touches like a powered steering column and real wood vs the manual one and plastic in the RDX. The one largest knock (and you will notice this immediately) is the lack of rear seat legroom. I can tell you right now that at 6'3 nobody can sit behind you taller than 4' tall comfortably.

But yeah thanks for keeping us updated! Excited to see what you decide on.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
mtc46jw (02-06-2017), silental (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Advanced

the one you want is the 2.3T with 280hp and 305lb/ft l
Absolutely!
I can tell you right now that at 6'3 nobody can sit behind you taller than 4' tall comfortably.
LOL!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
cr notes long term reliability issues
Old 02-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
cr notes long term reliability issues
I personally do not consider CR a valid resource. But in the event they are correct, it has been 2-3 years since the MKC came out. PLENTY of time to work out kinks.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Advanced

I personally do not consider CR a valid resource.
I agree with CR when CR agrees with me.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree with CR when CR agrees with me.
Haha I like you!
silental (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I personally do not consider CR a valid resource. But in the event they are correct, it has been 2-3 years since the MKC came out. PLENTY of time to work out kinks.
CR is like one piece of the pie, but it severely overrates reliability. Between C&D, CR, and USNews you can get a fairly good understanding of what's going on in the industry.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
CR is like one piece of the pie, but it severely overrates reliability. Between C&D, CR, and USNews you can get a fairly good understanding of what's going on in the industry.
Personally what I like to do is wait a year minimum when a new model comes out and in the mean time create an account/incognito creep the forums and really see what is up. IME it is actual people who bought the cars and live with them day to day that really know the major issues, areas that need fixing, major pros, and major cons. The issue with that of course and with these other companies like CR that rely on consumer honesty, is that people who either EXTREMELY love their car or those who HATE their cars will chime in. With a huge portion of those responding being unhappy people. Those who are absolutely fine will not bother to come in.

So what you have to do is go on to forums and pay attention to what pops up multiple times and then use your personal judgment in deciding what you can and cannot live with. As I am sure you are aware, forums tend to blow some issues WAY out of proportion. Like personally I could live with the TLX having 280hp but I however could not live with the transmission (no matter how much better it is now). Unfortunately this method works WAY better when dealing with older cars that are >5 years old.

The other issue is that some problems are mileage/time sensitive. Sometimes something won't happen until the car has 80k miles or more or it has to have been 6-8 years for example where something fails.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:43 PM
KDX
Cruisin'

Not sure if the Kia Stinger falls into your interest group. It would be very nice to own.