DRL LED Conversion

Old 12-21-2016, 08:14 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DRL LED Conversion

Merry Christmas. I have a 13 new to me RDX AWD w/ Tech Pkg. I've converted all the interior lights to LED, I'd like to convert the daytime running lights as well. Since the high beams and drl share the bulb, I understand a decoder of some sort is required so the light operates in the drl low power mode without throwing a dash warning. However, the sites I am finding offer several options. Anyone here do it already and have some advice? I'd appreciate it.

Also, if you're considering an interior conversion, it's great. It's a cheap upgrade and makes a big difference IMHO. Just a heads up, skip the visor lights, way too bright, blinds the wife.

Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:34 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Before making a non approved change on the DRL / high beam bulbs, you have to ask this question. Do you ever use your high beams? If yes, then forget about this mod.
LED bulbs (even the newer high powered ones) are not suitable for those reflector headlights which are designed specifically for halogen bulbs. Just because the base of bulb fits in the headlight housing doesn't mean that all is okay. The light will be scattered all over and not in a focused beam as needed for high beams. Essentially it will be useless if you are traveling at high speeds in an unlit interstate at night.
If your driving involves only city driving (in well lit areas) and you never use your high beams except for flash to pass, then it may be okay. But, if you ever really need the high beam function for its intended safety function, then you will be putting yourselves and others in danger.
You don't have to believe me. Just don't check your high beams inside the closed garage door 3 feet away and say that it is brighter than the original lights. Check it on a perpendicular wall at least 300 ft away at night and compare it with your original bulbs. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, thanks. Yes, I use the high beams on occasion, not willing to give it up. Appreciate the response.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
You can still make an improvement if the color of the light bothers you. You can use the superbright halogens (4300 K) which are somewhat whiter compared to the OEM halogens which Honda / Acura uses (3600 K). They are available from all major manufacturers such as Philips / Osram / sylvania, etc and are street legal. Using an approved halogen light won't affect your high beams.

Search this Thread