Was considering the RDX but

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Junior8121
When I started the topic I was not and am not looking for bashing for or against but informative opinions.
I understand completely what you were looking for on this forum. Who better to ask about the RDX than someone who already owns one.

The great thing, and somewhat unusual thing, is that the RDX appeals to a wide variety of buyers with different wants and needs. For example it is one of the least expensive models in it's "class" considering all the available options. It is comfortable, smooth riding, and gets good fuel economy, for those looking for those characteristics. And for my wants, it is very quick, handles not too bad with more air in the tires ( BTW resulting in a harsher ride), and has a lot of geeky tech.

So sure, it's normal for an owner to say they wish they had a heating and/or telescoping steering wheel, but unfortunately a prospective buyer can be turned away from the RDX when owners make it sound like the RDX is a complete ripoff, and an inferior vehicle because it lacks those features

When reading these types of comments, just make a note of what features are missing in the RDX if they are important for you, and always remember that the person complaining still bought the RDX because it was the vehicle that best met all his needs and wants.

For example this recent post is a good example of how reading only one post could make you want to avoid the RDX. It's only by chance that someone asked a question that we learned the RDX isn't that bad after all.

Member #1
"I just got a 2013 RDX, so far 3 things bug me, parking brake won't disengage when shifting from park, always have to push the button for the nav for the acknowledgement B.S., third, cargo lights are on top, not in the cargo area, cargo lights are there to light up the cargo area not the top of your head, crap is dumb, and the cargo area has no compartments to put small stuff in, just a plain flat floor, might as well drive a pick up truck."

Member #2
"So --- why did you buy it?"

Member #1
"Because I like it, genius,.....

That is not the answer I would have anticipated!!!!!

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 11-30-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:30 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Ha ha. This thread is getting funnier by the pages. .
Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I just purchased my 2017 RDX. I got just the base, which has everything I need. The nav with 2 screens...don't need that distraction, iPhone is good enough if I need any nav. Anyways, I kept my previous SUV - 2008 CRV with 460k actual miles ....& it still runs good. Stepping up to the RDX as my main drive - best decision this year.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by SarasotaAL
I just purchased my 2017 RDX. I got just the base, which has everything I need. The nav with 2 screens...don't need that distraction, iPhone is good enough if I need any nav. Anyways, I kept my previous SUV - 2008 CRV with 460k actual miles ....& it still runs good. Stepping up to the RDX as my main drive - best decision this year.
460 k miles. Awesome. Well done.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:49 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I understand completely what you were looking for on this forum. Who better to ask about the RDX than someone who already owns one.

The great thing, and somewhat unusual thing, is that the RDX appeals to a wide variety of buyers with different wants and needs. For example it is one of the least expensive models in it's "class" considering all the available options. It is comfortable, smooth riding, and gets good fuel economy, for those looking for those characteristics. And for my wants, it is very quick, handles not too bad with more air in the tires ( BTW resulting in a harsher ride), and has a lot of geeky tech.

So sure, it's normal for an owner to say they wish they had a heating and/or telescoping steering wheel, but unfortunately a prospective buyer can be turned away from the RDX when owners make it sound like the RDX is a complete ripoff, and an inferior vehicle because it lacks those features

When reading these types of comments, just make a note of what features are missing in the RDX if they are important for you, and always remember that the person complaining still bought the RDX because it was the vehicle that best met all his needs and wants.

For example this recent post is a good example of how reading only one post could make you want to avoid the RDX. It's only by chance that someone asked a question that we learned the RDX isn't that bad after all.

Member #1
"I just got a 2013 RDX, so far 3 things bug me, parking brake won't disengage when shifting from park, always have to push the button for the nav for the acknowledgement B.S., third, cargo lights are on top, not in the cargo area, cargo lights are there to light up the cargo area not the top of your head, crap is dumb, and the cargo area has no compartments to put small stuff in, just a plain flat floor, might as well drive a pick up truck."

Member #2
"So --- why did you buy it?"

Member #1
"Because I like it, genius,.....

That is not the answer I would have anticipated!!!!!
My answer would have been different if you hadn't insinuated I was stupid for buying it, nothing is perfect and neither is the RDX.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
My answer would have been different if you hadn't insinuated I was stupid for buying it, nothing is perfect and neither is the RDX.
Asking why you bought the RDX while making statements such as "might as well drive a pick up truck" is not the same as insinuating you are stupid. And, if "nothing is perfect" that would include the RDX without saying.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
My apologies folks, I wasn't attempting to start a personal battle.

When the OP asked our opinion of the RDX (as owners), I was trying to show him that many people on the forum had complaints about the RDX, and yet they still purchased one. I was attempting to show him that although the RDX has a few shortcomings, the benefits of the vehicle outweighed them and that is why we all purchased one.

When I came across the post by Joe Las Vegas, it seemed that it was perfect example of the point I was trying to make. When dirleton asked why he bought one, I considered his question to be an attempt at humor and not an insinuation of being stupid at all. It was the kind of response I would have made myself in an attempt to be funny.

I deliberately omitted the members names because I was only using this exchange of dialog as an example to prove a point to the OP.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Since the 2nd gen RDX is a newer and presumably a pretty reliable vehicle, this forum is different from others I have been on, where the vehicles in question are older and starting to have problems. Let's all be happy about that. In 8 years it will be full of people reporting problems and repair bills. Or mods such as putting the new fish-eye headlights into a 2014.... No talk of lack of heated steering etc etc. -and bickering will be non-existent as there will be bigger fish to fry.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm not sure that pointing out perceived shortcomings is the same as complaining. There are things that would be nice to have - low washer fluid warning and heated steering come readily to mind - but I'm not complaining. I think there's a list here somewhere of features we, collectively, would like the RDX to have.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...

Woah guys, breath! Not only are you on a luxury car forum complaining about luxury cars that you can afford, but you're doing it on the internet most likely from the comfort of your home; life isn't THAT bad! Lol

id challenge anyone to tell us what the "perfect car"; doesn't exist.

I'll explain how we came about buying a 16' RDX Advance AWD for my wife. First off, I LOVE cars and she could for the most part care less about them. I spent about 6 months looking over every SMALL suv with AWD. She was driving a VW bug and was a newly minted physician so the car was to celebrate and get something reliable in any weather.

The tricky part was keeping it small enough to comfortably fit in the garage, but big enough to put rear facing child seats in. Some of the competition front leaders we had were the Audi Q3 and Lincoln MKC, but they don't have enough room for rear facing child seats without moving the passenger seat up a good bit. The RDX is gorgeous in our opinion, the dark blue with the jewel headlights is incredible. She also was 100% against getting a big three luxury vehicle because it sends an image that...we don't want people thinking about us (gotta love that :-). So the Acura was this gorgeous car, a little less in your face than the major luxury cars and still something you can out of the grocery store and appreciate its beauty and our hard work (why we couldn't go for something like an CRV

Now, I will say that I don't understand not bringing power folding mirrors to the states. Or having the heated and cold seats turned on when the remote start is activated, both things I really appreciate in my car.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
The problem with buying a Kia is that you wind up owning a Kia.
I do not see much difference these days between a KIA and an Acura. In my opinion Acura is not what it used to be ...

PS: For the OP, If I were you I would look elsewhere. The RDX is not what it appears to be and the Murano' CVT is crap

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 12-16-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
A difference I see with Kia & Acura.....you only see the new Kia's on the road....there isn't any older ones. With Acura, you see new ones & older ones. The Kia just doesn't hold up.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I specified "these days"

5 years ago: Acura >>>>> Kia
Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
I specified "these days"

5 years ago: Acura >>>>> Kia
So true. In Atlanta anyway, I see lots of older KIA's. Remember, they have a 10yr/100k warranty on the power train. The warranty on a new KIA is better than Acura's.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Racer

did you know that Kia is partly owned by Hyundai? Hyundai has a 34% stake in the company, (it used to be 51%) and Kia owns portions of many Hyundai subsidiaries.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
you guys are going to hate me for this.... oh well...

The LAST great Acura was the 2004 TL... After that they just stagnated... I was seriously considering a RDX back in 2014... and then I took my 2003 Subaru in for service in early 2015 and they gave me an Outback and it was snowing like MAD... Now I have noted in previous threads the RDX is nice and drives fine in the snow... but the Outback excels in so many areas... better tech, better AWD performance and just as comfy on the inside and it costs significantly less in H6 trim. I would gladly trade the 23hp for the additional tech features like HID and eyesight.

Back when Acura first came on the scene, they were HUNGRY and made outstanding cars... Now they are gussied up Hondas and it's sad...

back in 2004 they had a 270HP sport sedan, forward 13 years and we get only a 20 HP gain? and basically the same 0-60 times? Seriously?
The following users liked this post:
snorf (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai

The LAST great Acura was the 2004 TL... After that they just stagnated... I was seriously considering a RDX back in 2014... and then I took my 2003 Subaru in for service in early 2015 and they gave me an Outback and it was snowing like MAD... Now I have noted in previous threads the RDX is nice and drives fine in the snow... but the Outback excels in so many areas... better tech, better AWD performance and just as comfy on the inside and it costs significantly less in H6 trim. I would gladly trade the 23hp for the additional tech features like HID and eyesight.

Back when Acura first came on the scene, they were HUNGRY and made outstanding cars... Now they are gussied up Hondas and it's sad...

back in 2004 they had a 270HP sport sedan, forward 13 years and we get only a 20 HP gain? and basically the same 0-60 times? Seriously?
I think you nailed it!! I think acura has pretty much been "asleep at the wheel" and has become an "also ran" vehicle. IIRC the company ranked #18 with consumers - just a couple points lower than Honda. The Koreans (and others) have been building better cars for quite some time and I think it's a matter of time before the market catches up. I think many people buy based on reputation or they buy (and pay dearly for) a badge.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
So true. In Atlanta anyway, I see lots of older KIA's. Remember, they have a 10yr/100k warranty on the power train. The warranty on a new KIA is better than Acura's.
Recently spent a few days riding around in my buddy's new KIA Sorrento. I thought it was pretty impressive. The first thing that jumped out to me is that the seats seemed better constructed compared to the squishy and flat RDX front seats. Not as if that tells the whole story of course...
Old 12-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Interesting article on acuras worthy of a read:

Honda, Acura miles apart in rankings - The Columbus Dispatch, Dec 23rd Honda, Acura miles apart in rankings | The Columbus Dispatch

Honda has reason to cheer and Acura has reason to cringe based on results of Consumer Reports' survey of customer satisfaction.
Honda-brand vehicles ranked sixth out of 29 brands, an improvement of four slots from last year.
Acura, the Honda-owned luxury brand, ranked 26th, down seven slots.
The top four brands are the same as a year ago, led by Tesla and followed by Porsche, Audi and Subaru.
Acura's poor showing was due in part to the Marysville-made ILX sedan, which ranked at the very bottom of all models for all brands. Other models near the bottom were the Dodge Dart and Jeep Compass.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by snorf
Interesting article on acuras worthy of a read:

Honda, Acura miles apart in rankings - The Columbus Dispatch, Dec 23rd Honda, Acura miles apart in rankings The Columbus Dispatch

Honda has reason to cheer and Acura has reason to cringe based on results of Consumer Reports' survey of customer satisfaction.
Honda-brand vehicles ranked sixth out of 29 brands, an improvement of four slots from last year.
Acura, the Honda-owned luxury brand, ranked 26th, down seven slots.
The top four brands are the same as a year ago, led by Tesla and followed by Porsche, Audi and Subaru.
Acura's poor showing was due in part to the Marysville-made ILX sedan, which ranked at the very bottom of all models for all brands. Other models near the bottom were the Dodge Dart and Jeep Compass.
I'm not surprised.
Acura badge has been living on it's laurels and it's starting to show more and more.
The car line is dead and the RDX and MDX had half of the total Nov sales as the Lexus NX and RX.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

I have a $40k, 2014 RDX Advance. 28k Miles. Also a $5000, state surplus, 2011 Ford Fusion 138k miles. The Ford is better car any day. My next will be a US car. Acura is junk and dealers are stealers. Corporate is worse.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai

At the time the closest I could come to that '90s Acura feeling was my '10 TSX, which was an Acura-ized European Accord. That was such a well-balanced fun little car compared to current offerings. My TLX is exactly what I need right now (except for a ingress/egress) as age has encouraged me to move on from flat-out sporty. But as everyone knows it is a compromise and compromises aren't always a good thing. In our case it won't matter when the lease runs out in October and we stay with our new RDX as our main car with Uber for conflicts. We picked a good one, Acura's best. Good balance all around, nothing outstanding, it just gets the job done in a very satisfying and seamless manner.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Cruisin'

I agree this is not Acura bashing but opinions of people who already own Acuras and generally auto enthusiasts. As posted elsewhere, I have a 2014 RDX. 28k miles. Paid 40k. I also have a 2011 Ford Fusion, state surplus, $5k. 130k miles. In many ways, the Fusion is a better car. From malfunctioning switches, busted outside mirror motors, shocks to bushings, rattles, squeaks, the Acura is one of lowest quality I've owned. Never would buy an Acura. I would look at an American, especially Ford.

Acura America (and Honda Japan) customer service is less than worthless. Hopefully, the reputation of previous Acura will carry through for resale value.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:37 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by gamini
. Never would buy an Acura. I would look at an American, especially Ford. Acura America (and Honda Japan) customer service is less than worthless. Hopefully, the reputation of previous Acura will carry through for resale value.
Worthless. .....? Just remember when the airbag issue blew out, Acura was one of the very few manufacturers offering replacement cars till the airbag was replaced (I know that for sure, since I was offered one). Most of the other so called luxury cars (with excellent customer services) just kept their customers at arms length..... no replacement cars ...nada. .
Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Worthless. .....? Just remember when the airbag issue blew out, Acura was one of the very few manufacturers offering replacement cars till the airbag was replaced (I know that for sure, since I was offered one). Most of the other so called luxury cars (with excellent customer services) just kept their customers at arms length..... no replacement cars ...nada. .
They gave me a new loaner RDX for the day when I took my 8 year-old RDX in last year. Can't complain about that.