Was considering the RDX but

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 11:53 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was considering the RDX but

I started comparing features and for roughly the same price I can get a Nissan Murano with panoramic roof, reclining back seats, ventilated front seats, and around view camera.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:56 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Junior8121
I started comparing features and for roughly the same price I can get a Nissan Murano with panoramic roof, reclining back seats, ventilated front seats, and around view camera.
I have yet to test drive either car but wanted to know if anyone hear has. I know the different opinions on the cvt so that's a non issue for me.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I have not driven the new Murano, but I will say that it presents a major competitior to the RDX. It looks amazing IMHO and the interior is built better and looks better. It also has other things you forgot to mention like heated steering wheel, 360 degree cameras, heated rear seats (not available on US rdx's), 20" wheels, power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, better infotainment setup...etc. But with all that said, the CVT kinda makes it a tough sell for me.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
As with many other offerings from other car makers, the list of features can be very long and enticing. And they stack up well nowadays against luxury vehicles. But some of us care about other things besides features such as panoramic roof. (a feature I personally wouldn't even want in my vehicle, let alone care about). I think the Murano is a very good option and a decent value for sure.
I sold my Murano 2 months ago and got my RDX.
I will venture that there is no reason at all to worry about the CVT. What exactly is your concern? When they first came out in the Murano back in 2003, there were some glitches and failed trannies here and there but Nissan resolved the issues and since 2005 the CVT's have been good. I loved mine. And to my technical engineery brain, they just make sense...less moving parts, no shifting of gears that you can feel...the only downside which is a minor issue to me (and i'm kinda just speculating here) is that due to friction in the belt, it robs a very small amount of power so fuel efficiency is affected by maybe 1 MPG.
Another thing that drew me to the RDX is that it lacked some of the features I considered a waste of money. (why would you possibly need a "power" adjustable steering wheel??...good grief...) So I automatically (I don't really care if this is valid anyway) made the assumption that my money went towards things like a reliable engine and tranny, a smooth ride, great sound system, quality interior materials, brand recognition, etc etc.
The following users liked this post:
silental (01-23-2017)
Old 11-24-2016, 01:36 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
One could say the same about powered seats.

The whole purpose of the powered steering wheel and seats is so drivers can set their seating and reach preferences. If you're the only one driving the vehicle, I can understand not needing these features. Also if you like your steering wheel extended while driving, the fact it retracts once you turn the car off for easy exit is a nice touch.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Racer

true!
Old 11-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
One could say the same about powered seats.

The whole purpose of the powered steering wheel and seats is so drivers can set their seating and reach preferences. If you're the only one driving the vehicle, I can understand not needing these features. Also if you like your steering wheel extended while driving, the fact it retracts once you turn the car off for easy exit is a nice touch.
Exactly! Not to mention that quite frankly a 50K vehicle should have it as standard equipment.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Today was a cold day and I thought as my RDX heated seats were making my butt warm, why no heated steering wheel. It should come standard with the model I have (Elite), USA models (Advance).

The main reason I would not go with the Murano, is that I don't like the look of it. I know a lot of Manufacturers are doing it now but that black below the roof making the roof look like it is floating does not look good to these eyes, especially with light coloured vehicle like silver. Oh yeah, and that new Maxima, OMG that is fugly. I do not think they have made a nice looking Maxima since the 80's.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Just another example of Acura needs to step up. Although the prices are very close, there's no point to buy a so called luxury vehicle while the same or better features are offered in the non-luxury market.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
i am thinking of rdx next year

6 speed transmission is something you will find in cheap car

also I drove glc at SF auto show today and it had all around camera

Acura needs to step up some features for sure
Old 11-24-2016, 11:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Lol judging by the last 3 replies, I am REALLY not alone in my opinion. I am almost certain the next gen RDX will not have a 6 speed. But I am REALLY hoping it won't have a zf 9 speed either.
quantum7 (01-24-2017)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:37 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I don't think Acura puts a lot of effort into the RDX. The current model is an update of the original 2013 version; which, probably started development in 2010-2011. I don't see the RDX pushing the limits in its segment, ever. It seems the RDX will always being playing catch-up at best and always 3-8 features below the MDX trim levels. The advantage with the RDX is the styling will stand the test of time and you will have long term reliability with a cheaper cost of ownership.

Short term: A lot of viable choices in the 2-4 year ownership time

Long term: Acura is top on my list for +100,000 miles and or +6 years for styling, features, performance, reliability, and long term cost of ownership.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Racer

A 6 speed tranny is totally adequate. Absolutely no need for more gears unless our highway speed limits are 120 MPH. What's important is the quality and execution of the design which is sorely lacking in many vehicles.

We are too caught up in modern tech gadgetry which hardly gets used. What good is a vehicle loaded with all sorts of semi-useless fancy bells and whistles if the reliability and driving experience has become a lower priority for the carmaker?
romer (12-19-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
One final comment, when you start putting new technology into cars, there will be issues, like when Acura changed their 6 cylinder transmissions from 4 to 5 speed. What a disaster. Now the 6 speed is reliable, at least mine has been but the 9 speed is bringing Acura down. That's why the German cars are not as reliable, because their technology is cutting edge and not proven and tried and true yet.
romer (12-19-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
One final comment, when you start putting new technology into cars, there will be issues, like when Acura changed their 6 cylinder transmissions from 4 to 5 speed. What a disaster. Now the 6 speed is reliable, at least mine has been but the 9 speed is bringing Acura down. That's why the German cars are not as reliable, because their technology is cutting edge and not proven and tried and true yet.
that's true.

so far I feel the 9sp is smooth on my 17 MDX. Kept my fingers crossed
Old 11-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I bought my 2016 RDX in June 2015. I made that decision after doing several weeks of on-line research. I created a spreadsheet and entered the features, dimensions, fuel economy, acceleration, etc., etc, available on every model SUV I could find. Right off the bat I eliminated many models that were simply too long too park in my garage. After comparing the features available on the remaining models, I chose the RDX.

Several months later I attended the largest "outdoor" auto show in North America, which is held annually at our local college. I sat in each of the competitors models, and at the end of the day I had no doubts I had chosen the model that best suited me.

Sure, some cars have features that the RDX doesn't have, but the RDX has features the competitors don't have, or if they do, they cost a fortune to get. I feel the RDX offers the most features that I actually fine useful. In other words if you could create a list of 100 features or gadgets available on all models, RDX might only have half of them, but they are the 50 features that I find most useful. So when I hear someone describe the RDX as an inferior product because they stumbled across a feature that Lexus has, and the RDX doesn't, it really sounds like nitpicking to me. If you really want all 100 possible features/gadgets you will never find them in a single vehicle.

For example one of the most irritating things I found in many of the more expensive models was the Ipad like thingy that was stuck on the top of the dash. It looked like if you bumped it, it would break off. It was also difficult to read without a shade like the RDX has. That feature alone was more important to me than a heated steering wheel. The built in appearance of the screens on the RDX looks much more high tech than an Ipad that was stuck on like the original design team had forgotten about it.

Another example is that the RDX might not have the nice looking "double lines" of stitching in the leather seats and dash (the appearance of "Luxury"), but the seats are just as durable, and I don't want to pay several $1000's for stitching. Also the Honda brand name means quality, with more reliability and therefore more economical to maintain than any of the competitors, and that means higher resale value.

I have bought many new vehicles over the last 40 years, and after having them for 3 months I often felt I should have purchased something different. I have always been pleased with the decision to purchase the RDX since day 1.

Another thing I find odd about the RDX forums is when current RDX owners complain/criticize about the RDX , the obvious conclusion is that they didn't do enough research before making their purchase. Were these people being forced to buy a new vehicle by the end of the day so they flipped a coin and ended up with the RDX?. It seems funny that they purchased the RDX without knowing it's limitations and yet they became fully educated on the competitors products.
The following 7 users liked this post by RDX-Rick:
carbonTSEX (11-26-2016), Doobiewah (11-27-2016), Froid (12-10-2016), mrgold35 (11-26-2016), MTD (11-26-2016), romer (12-19-2016), SkylineEX-S (11-30-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-2016, 04:31 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I bought my 2016 RDX in June 2015. I made that decision after doing several weeks of on-line research. I created a spreadsheet and entered the features, dimensions, fuel economy, acceleration, etc., etc, available on every model SUV I could find. Right off the bat I eliminated many models that were simply too long too park in my garage. After comparing the features available on the remaining models, I chose the RDX. Several months later I attended the largest "outdoor" auto show in North America, which is held annually at our local college. I sat in each of the competitors models, and at the end of the day I had no doubts I had chosen the model that best suited me. Sure, some cars have features that the RDX doesn't have, but the RDX has features the competitors don't have, or if they do, they cost a fortune to get. I feel the RDX offers the most features that I actually fine useful. In other words if you could create a list of 100 features or gadgets available on all models, RDX might only have half of them, but they are the 50 features that I find most useful. So when I hear someone describe the RDX as an inferior product because they stumbled across a feature that Lexus has, and the RDX doesn't, it really sounds like nitpicking to me. If you really want all 100 possible features/gadgets you will never find them in a single vehicle. For example one of the most irritating things I found in many of the more expensive models was the Ipad like thingy that was stuck on the top of the dash. It looked like if you bumped it, it would break off. It was also difficult to read without a shade like the RDX has. That feature alone was more important to me than a heated steering wheel. The built in appearance of the screens on the RDX looks much more high tech than an Ipad that was stuck on like the original design team had forgotten about it. Another example is that the RDX might not have the nice looking "double lines" of stitching in the leather seats and dash (the appearance of "Luxury"), but the seats are just as durable, and I don't want to pay several $1000's for stitching. Also the Honda brand name means quality, with more reliability and therefore more economical to maintain than any of the competitors, and that means higher resale value. I have bought many new vehicles over the last 40 years, and after having them for 3 months I often felt I should have purchased something different. I have always been pleased with the decision to purchase the RDX since day 1. Another thing I find odd about the RDX forums is when current RDX owners complain/criticize about the RDX , the obvious conclusion is that they didn't do enough research before making their purchase. Were these people being forced to buy a new vehicle by the end of the day so they flipped a coin and ended up with the RDX?. It seems funny that they purchased the RDX without knowing it's limitations and yet they became fully educated on the competitors products.
Very well said. 1+ to this.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Racer

Great post RDXRick. I also did a TON of research and drove many vehicles before settling on my 2014. The key points for me was reliability, smooth quiet ride, fuel economy, looks, comfort and how the interior looks. Unfortunately I don't consider it to be eye candy externally but its OK...will look a bit nicer once I get my summer wheels and 255's on it. Also factors that were important was having around the correct amount of cargo space that I need, the fact that it's not a Hyundai (but I did consider the Kia Sorento for a week or so) and performance. To be honest, the 2014 Ford Edge was a contender, it had good driving characteristics and the right amount of space and power but I don't care much for the moon-buggy look and the front end appearance. Also generally not a big fan of Ford. Also the electronics (MyFordTouch) is crap. But i digress....my RDX is my new best friend.

Last edited by Skidoor; 11-26-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor
As with many other offerings from other car makers, the list of features can be very long and enticing. And they stack up well nowadays against luxury vehicles. But some of us care about other things besides features such as panoramic roof. (a feature I personally wouldn't even want in my vehicle, let alone care about)...........I sold my Murano 2 months ago and got my RDX.........Another thing that drew me to the RDX is that it lacked some of the features I considered a waste of money. (why would you possibly need a "power" adjustable steering wheel??...good grief...) So I automatically (I don't really care if this is valid anyway) made the assumption that my money went towards things like a reliable engine and tranny, a smooth ride, great sound system, quality interior materials, brand recognition, etc etc.
Originally Posted by Skidoor
The key points for me was reliability, smooth quiet ride, fuel economy, looks, comfort and how the interior looks. Unfortunately I don't consider it to be eye candy externally but its OK....
I think you have confirmed the point I was trying to make. Most of us in this forum have presumably purchased a RDX, and when anyone purchases something as expensive as a new vehicle I assume they investigated the vehicle before purchase, and chose the RDX for their own personal reasons. For some it might be financial reasons, for you it was fuel economy, comfort, and looks, and for me it was fast 0-60 times, and the technology (geekiness) that was available.

Like you, I have no idea why anyone would want a power telescoping steering wheel when it is quicker to adjust it manually. If I had placed a heated steering wheel high on my priority list I simply would have purchased another vehicle. I wouldn't be here telling everyone to avoid the RDX because I discovered a missing feature after my purchase. I think I would feel a little embarrassed to admit I didn't do enough research.before my expensive purchase.

Some things that people dislike about the RDX are favorite features to others. For example I am a tech geek with a fully automated home,etc,etc, and I wanted to have as many gadgets as I could in my vehicle. The RDX Elite offered all the "tech" features I could think of except for the birds eye view cameras. Many people have complained that the Acura double screen infotainment system is difficult to use, but after taking the time to learn it, I think it is great. Just having the two screens looks more high tech than the competitors models and that helps satisfy my geek addiction. So what bothers some, is pure joy for others.

When someone starts a new post asking for our opinions of the RDX, I think it's helpful for us current owners to list all the features available as well as any missing features we might be aware of, but quoting the same story about the RDX being an inferior vehicle compared to the competition because of the missing heated steering wheel is getting a little old.
romer (12-19-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Two different SUVs....so why don't you get a Sante Fe, I guarantee you, there are more standard equipments and lower price
Old 11-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The problem with buying a Kia is that you wind up owning a Kia.
verpan (01-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dirleton
Haha, good one...!
Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm...I have purchased a 2013 (Tech) and a 2016 (Advance). My need was simply for a small SUV with AWD and a V-6. Nissan does not offer that unless I buy a Murano, which is too big for me. I agree with other posters that the Rogue has features on it that the RDX does not have. My father in law has a 2015 Rogue and it is nice. However, a key feature to me is the smoothness and power of the V6 engine, which the Rogue does not have. I guess that's worth more to me than a heated steering wheel (I'm in Ohio. It gets cold here...I've learned to wear gloves).

Obviously, decisions on buying cars is very subjective and others may put a higher value on certain features than I do, which is fine. The key is to do your research so that you buy a vehicle that meets as many of your needs as possible.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Checked out the new Murano the NX, and the Ford Edge. Bought an RDX. The Murano was 'OK'.....not impressed with the power or the looks. Wife also preferred the RDX.

Car buying is subjective. Get what you want, like, and can afford, in a color you won't regret buying later and, if you are married, a vehicle the wife enjoys too, so she'll share some of the driving!

Good luck in your hunt.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:05 PM
Racer

The RDX is indeed a very nice car. Although it may not be that luxurious, it's fun to drive and has all the useful features.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
This is important when it comes to "image" and resale, but KIA has been producing better cars than Honda/acura for a number of years now with fewer problems and higher customer satisfaction. As a general rule, they also come with better and/or more features than Honda/acura products (or features not offered in acura/Honda products) as well as longer warranties. We like our 2016 RDX, but it's nothing special. I've driven a Sorrento and I thought it to be a much better car than our RDX. I've rented Optimas and would buy one of those before I'd buy an accord. And before you ask why I bought an RDX? My wife wanted it for her 60th birthday. She knew acura USED TO make a product that was a cut above the industry and doesn't follow the industry. I think those days are gone. Just my opinion. You can agree or disagree, but that is my honest opinion.

Last edited by snorf; 11-27-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:17 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
True. I've rented Optimas and driven the new Accords too. The driving experience and comfort are miles apart in these cars. As far as buying one of those, that is a no contest question in favor of Accord. Go figure.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:27 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
This is important when it comes to "image" and resale, but KIA has been producing better cars than Honda/acura for a number of years now with fewer problems and higher customer satisfaction. As a general rule, they also come with better and/or more features than Honda/acura products (or features not offered in acura/Honda products) as well as longer warranties. We like our 2016 RDX, but it's nothing special. I've driven a Sorrento and I thought it to be a much better car than our RDX. I've rented Optimas and would buy one of those before I'd buy an accord. And before you ask why I bought an RDX? My wife wanted it for her 60th birthday. She knew acura USED TO make a product that was a cut above the industry and doesn't follow the industry. I think those days are gone. Just my opinion. You can agree or disagree, but that is my honest opinion.
I agree too, but the problem is that every time one starts saying something negative about the RDX on this forum, like saying it should be like this or like that, you get crap from members that act like the RDX is the best thing ever made. What I hope is that the 2018 RDX will be so good that it will beat the competition hands down.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
I agree too, but the problem is that every time one starts saying something negative about the RDX on this forum, like saying it should be like this or like that, you get crap from members that act like the RDX is the best thing ever made. What I hope is that the 2018 RDX will be so good that it will beat the competition hands down.
I wouldn't bet on it. The next gen RDX will play it safe the way the current gen did.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
I hope they put all the safety features (lane departure warning, etc) into every new RDX - to include the STOPPING of the vehicle, not just slowing it down, for collision avoidance. Beginning in 2017, EVERY Toyota has every one of these features as standard equipment. In the RDX, one has to purchase the advance (or elite in Canada) to get all these features. Acura typically is perhaps 5 years behind in technology, but when a Toyota corolla comes standard with features that are available only in the top of the line RDX I think that's pretty sad. It's like the people at acura are (and have been) asleep at the switch and paying no attention to the auto industry trends.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
The RDX beats the competition in driving performance. The powertrain is bullet proof. The brakes are some of the best I've had on a vehicle. Others have more creature comforts, maybe more comfortable seats, better noise insulation, but you buy the RDX if you enjoy spirited driving and don't want to be relegated to subpar acceleration and handling just because you're in a larger/taller vehicle. You'd have to spend considerably more $$ to get an SUV this size with better driving characteristics. If you want a plush ride and don't care about performance there are several options in the same price range.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Comfy
True. I've rented Optimas and driven the new Accords too. The driving experience and comfort are miles apart in these cars. As far as buying one of those, that is a no contest question in favor of Accord. Go figure.

I've owned Accords and now I own a '15 Sonata and love it.I love it so much that I'm considering getting a loaded Santa Fe Sport lease next time.The only thing I'll miss is the RDX V6 which is great.
Maybe the V6 will be history in the near future ,anyway.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:10 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The RDX (and ILX) is in a awkward position since being available first in 2013 compared to the newer offerings from Acura starting in 2014. The 13-15 RDXs had the newer exteriors; but, was stuck with the old previous Gen interior tech/styling. The +16 MMC only updated the RDX to the current interior tech available across most Acura models. Chances are the 2019 RDX (with the updated styling) will be the first out the gate before the all new 2020 MDX a few months or a year later. I think the same thing will happen to the 2019-2021 RDX with updated 4th Gen MDX exterior styling with current 16-18 RDX interior and technolog. Most we might get is Ridgeline/Pilot awd (without the "sh") and maybe apple/android compatibility. I don't think we will see the new precision dash until the RDX MMC in 2022.

I rather Acura keep an extra model year for the current RDX and release the 3rd Gen RDX after the all new 4th Gen MDX (and trickle down 4th MDX Gen tech in 2020 instead of waiting for a 3rd Gen RDX MMC +3yrs later in 2022).

The wife and I had an empty nest for +6 months now and I would love to have the MDX tech in the RDX body as the perfect vehicle (sh-awd, bump in towing, sh-sh-awd option, etc...).

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-29-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
The RDX beats the competition in driving performance. The powertrain is bullet proof. The brakes are some of the best I've had on a vehicle. Others have more creature comforts, maybe more comfortable seats, better noise insulation, but you buy the RDX if you enjoy spirited driving and don't want to be relegated to subpar acceleration and handling just because you're in a larger/taller vehicle. You'd have to spend considerably more $$ to get an SUV this size with better driving characteristics. If you want a plush ride and don't care about performance there are several options in the same price range.
Interesting since one of the main reasons I bought the RDX was the ride quality.....I found most other SUV's in this size to have a more jittery and bumpy/harsh ride...and I actually didn't care about 0-60 performance.
Also, on the highway I found the RDX rode at least as good as a 2013 RX I test drove.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Racer

On a side note, yesterday on the highway I was a little ways behind and a couple lanes over from an MDX and thought it was an RDX until I was close to enough the see the badge on the rear. I thought I was seeing things.
And has anyone else noticed how the front wheels on the RDX seemed tipped outwards as compared to the rear? (positive camber) ...not a big fan of the way that looks....
Old 11-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colt427
I've owned Accords and now I own a '15 Sonata and love it.I love it so much that I'm considering getting a loaded Santa Fe Sport lease next time.The only thing I'll miss is the RDX V6 which is great.
Maybe the V6 will be history in the near future ,anyway.
In 2014, I wanted to downsize from MDX to RDX, so did a test drive of both RDX & SantaFe Sport and ended up buying the SantaFe Sport. It had more technology and features than RDX. I absolutely loved it. No problem with the car and visited the dealer only for oil changes. After a while, I felt that I'm missing the brand name and ended up getting 2017 RDX. It's been few months and I had loaner car twice and the RDX has been to the dealer many times for issues. I still have few issues that need to be addressed. I miss the Panaromic sunroof, heated steering wheel, Navigation that shows speed limits, heated & reclining rear seats.....etc....
But, please be advised you will not get good resale value for Hyundai. Dealers were not happy to take the my Hyundai as trade-in. I was quoted less than blue book value and they claimed it will be hard for them to sell it. I'm happy that I was able to switch. Just sharing my experience.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sathiyan
In 2014, I wanted to downsize from MDX to RDX, so did a test drive of both RDX & SantaFe Sport and ended up buying the SantaFe Sport. It had more technology and features than RDX. I absolutely loved it. No problem with the car and visited the dealer only for oil changes. After a while, I felt that I'm missing the brand name and ended up getting 2017 RDX. It's been few months and I had loaner car twice and the RDX has been to the dealer many times for issues. I still have few issues that need to be addressed. I miss the Panaromic sunroof, heated steering wheel, Navigation that shows speed limits, heated & reclining rear seats.....etc....
But, please be advised you will not get good resale value for Hyundai. Dealers were not happy to take the my Hyundai as trade-in. I was quoted less than blue book value and they claimed it will be hard for them to sell it. I'm happy that I was able to switch. Just sharing my experience.
This is standard tactics, taught day two in the "How to be a Complete Slimeball" class all prospective car dealers are required to take.

Last edited by dirleton; 11-29-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Racer

The problem with Hyundai resale value is new Hyundai's are discounted big (with great haggling) so trade in value are going to be lower.
I'd rather have the options you posted than the badge.Acura isn't Tier 1 luxury anyway.
I've had 3 RX350's and would have one now but I don't like the new styling at all.The only reasons I went with the RDX is because of the V6 and lease numbers but those two things may not be that important next time.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:44 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I think you have confirmed the point I was trying to make. Most of us in this forum have presumably purchased a RDX, and when anyone purchases something as expensive as a new vehicle I assume they investigated the vehicle before purchase, and chose the RDX for their own personal reasons. For some it might be financial reasons, for you it was fuel economy, comfort, and looks, and for me it was fast 0-60 times, and the technology (geekiness) that was available.

Like you, I have no idea why anyone would want a power telescoping steering wheel when it is quicker to adjust it manually. If I had placed a heated steering wheel high on my priority list I simply would have purchased another vehicle. I wouldn't be here telling everyone to avoid the RDX because I discovered a missing feature after my purchase. I think I would feel a little embarrassed to admit I didn't do enough research.before my expensive purchase.

Some things that people dislike about the RDX are favorite features to others. For example I am a tech geek with a fully automated home,etc,etc, and I wanted to have as many gadgets as I could in my vehicle. The RDX Elite offered all the "tech" features I could think of except for the birds eye view cameras. Many people have complained that the Acura double screen infotainment system is difficult to use, but after taking the time to learn it, I think it is great. Just having the two screens looks more high tech than the competitors models and that helps satisfy my geek addiction. So what bothers some, is pure joy for others.

When someone starts a new post asking for our opinions of the RDX, I think it's helpful for us current owners to list all the features available as well as any missing features we might be aware of, but quoting the same story about the RDX being an inferior vehicle compared to the competition because of the missing heated steering wheel is getting a little old.

Thanks rdx Rick. When I started the topic I was not and am not looking for bashing for or against but informative opinions. Again I have not test driven either car and once I do I will definitely have a better idea of which one to go with. After reading all the input it helps me focus on some of the reasons for and against each one. I agree that someone should not be fully taken in by technology only. I've worked on cars since I was a teen and I'm now 35 so I can appreciate the parts no one really sees. Currently I have an 06 accord exl v6 with 170k mile on it. Last year I had to rebuild the tranny. So I am looking for a long term vehicle. I haven't even gone on a test drive because I wanted to see if Acura would debut the 2018 at the la auto show but they didn't.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
So you traded a perfectly good SantaFe with no issues for the RDX with less features because of a brand name? Crazy.... In exchange it sounds like you got an RDX with more issues too. Amazing to me how folks will fall for the brand name marketing game instead of being happy with a car that works well.

If you had kept the SantaFe for the long haul, resale(which seems to be ONE complaint you have with Hyundai) wouldn't have been an issue either...

Quick Reply: Was considering the RDX but