Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Clunking from rear

Now that it's gotten cold outside and it freezes overnight I've found my RDX makes a clunk while driving over tar strips and expansion joints. It sounds like it's coming from the rear...maybe the tailgate. Never made any noise when it was warm out...anyone else?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB
Now that it's gotten cold outside and it freezes overnight I've found my RDX makes a clunk while driving over tar strips and expansion joints. It sounds like it's coming from the rear...maybe the tailgate. Never made any noise when it was warm out...anyone else?
I noticed a similar noise the day after I took possession of mine.
I have isolated it to the access panel for the spare tire. Its held in place by gravity and tends to bounce up and down over sharp bumps.
The panel combined with the spare tire well do a great job of mimicking the acoustics of a kettle drum.
I have isolated it by placing a 20 pound box of shop rags on the panel and that settled things down.
This is a major engineering oversight in my opinion and I am now forced to engineer my own solution.
The following users liked this post:
AmberB (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I noticed a similar noise the day after I took possession of mine.
I have isolated it to the access panel for the spare tire. Its held in place by gravity and tends to bounce up and down over sharp bumps.
The panel combined with the spare tire well do a great job of mimicking the acoustics of a kettle drum.
I have isolated it by placing a 20 pound box of shop rags on the panel and that settled things down.
This is a major engineering oversight in my opinion and I am now forced to engineer my own solution.
yep, that exactly describes what I think I might be hearing. Thanks for helping me along the path on troubleshooting.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
yep, that exactly describes what I think I might be hearing. Thanks for helping me along the path on troubleshooting.
Interesting. Upon delivery, I filled the nooks and crannies of the interior tray with rolled up heavy duty trash bags(never know when you might need them as bags or ground cover), couple of shop rags and assorted goodies that I reckon offer just enough cushion that nothing is bouncing about, even in our recent cooler weather. I recently added a cargo deck cover, so I guess I'm good to go.
Cooker (06-28-2014)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

No problem. I'm out in the garage applying adhesive backed sound deadening panels to the spare tire well right now. If this works out, I'll post a link with pictures.
h-f
Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear the same clunking. I have had the luggage compartment full and still hear it. I think it is the rear shocks banging.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rodb
I hear the same clunking. I have had the luggage compartment full and still hear it. I think it is the rear shocks banging.
Is it fairly constant or just when you hit a sharp bump?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I have heard the same thing but it is very infrequent. The other day, I was going through an intersection that a bit bumpy and went through it a bit faster than normal and I did hear/feel the thump. Its almost as if the shocks can't react fast enough and absorb the the bump. Not a big deal and certainly not a frequent enough issue for me (based on our great roads here) to make a trip to the dealer. Overall, the ride is very good and planted.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I have heard the same thing but it is very infrequent. The other day, I was going through an intersection that a bit bumpy and went through it a bit faster than normal and I did hear/feel the thump. Its almost as if the shocks can't react fast enough and absorb the the bump. Not a big deal and certainly not a frequent enough issue for me (based on our great roads here) to make a trip to the dealer. Overall, the ride is very good and planted.
Do you have the cargo cover? That might subdue the noise to a degree. The sound I hear is a low frequency boominess. Sort of like a poorly adjusted subwoofer.
I only hear it on sharp bumps like frost heaves for example. Something you encounter frequently in Manitoba.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Could be a bushing creaking due to very cold grease. Maybe amplified through the spare tire well.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Now I'm wondering if it isn't the hatch. I tend to lower it with the built in handles and fling it shut so I don't have to touch the paint surface on the back of the door. It doesn't slam shut, just latches quietly.
I heard it again this morning. I dropped off the dog at daycare and made a point of using more force to get the door shut...it made a more solid closing sound. I didn't hear it any more after that. So now I have to keep up with using more force to shut the hatch and see if it was user error all along.

(I don't have the auto close door in my lowly non-tech RDX.)
Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Now I'm wondering if it isn't the hatch. I tend to lower it with the built in handles and fling it shut so I don't have to touch the paint surface on the back of the door. It doesn't slam shut, just latches quietly.
I heard it again this morning. I dropped off the dog at daycare and made a point of using more force to get the door shut...it made a more solid closing sound. I didn't hear it any more after that. So now I have to keep up with using more force to shut the hatch and see if it was user error all along.

(I don't have the auto close door in my lowly non-tech RDX.)
update, went out for lunch, clunk...I guess it's not the rear hatch.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

My clunk is getting progressively worse. I'm going to bring it in to get it checked out.
I have a 2012 Mustang GT and it is tight as a drum over any road surface. This Acura not so much. Kind of disappointed to be experiencing issues at less than 400 km.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ I am sorry to say that rattles/thumps are not something uncommon to Acura. I have a few TSX and my 2006 TSX was solid and tight as could be, my 2009 TSX, very close. My TL, not so much and so far, the RDX is pretty good except for that thump.

What we lose in rattles is made up in overall long term reliability (major components) and resale value...something North American brands can't even touch
JimV32 (05-06-2014)
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ I am sorry to say that rattles/thumps are not something uncommon to Acura. I have a few TSX and my 2006 TSX was solid and tight as could be, my 2009 TSX, very close. My TL, not so much and so far, the RDX is pretty good except for that thump.

What we lose in rattles is made up in overall long term reliability (major components) and resale value...something North American brands can't even touch
Thumps and rattles in a new car are unacceptable to me. It leaves me with the perception that the vehicle is of lesser quality or poorly engineered.
When you take someone for a ride in your brand new $45,000 vehicle and the first thing they say is what is that noise? Do you tell them that's just a characteristic of Acuras to sound like clunkers. Sorry but I just don't buy into your explanation.
The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
KPACABA (12-22-2013), Spirited Driver (01-03-2013)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am not saying that it is acceptable, not by a long shot. What I am saying though is that when you read these forum threads, it appears that there is a disproportional reports of rattles and thumps. I suspect that because there is nothing else seriously wrong with Acuras in general, people tend to find something to report and that seems to be the common theme. I guess when people are dealing with faulty engines, electronics etc, rattles are on the bottom of their list *lol* That is not to say that there aren't any problems with Acuras, but overall, it is a very solidly built vehicle with very great reliability numbers. Its too bad that they can't seem to build cars that are more tight and not as prone to rattles and squeeks
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ I am not saying that it is acceptable, not by a long shot. What I am saying though is that when you read these forum threads, it appears that there is a disproportional reports of rattles and thumps. I suspect that because there is nothing else seriously wrong with Acuras in general, people tend to find something to report and that seems to be the common theme. I guess when people are dealing with faulty engines, electronics etc, rattles are on the bottom of their list *lol* That is not to say that there aren't any problems with Acuras, but overall, it is a very solidly built vehicle with very great reliability numbers. Its too bad that they can't seem to build cars that are more tight and not as prone to rattles and squeeks
I spent the last hour having a good look at the construction of the liftgate. Solidly built did not cross my mind at any time. Cheaply built certainly did.
I'm not posting here to bash Acuras but during my brief exposure to this vehicle, I have not come away impressed with build quality. I'll post back after my visit to the dealership. Hopefully they can pinpoint the problem and fix it. To me it sounds like the issue is with the lift gate.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
8th Gear

Just got my '13 RDX last week, and noticed the thump on any medium size road imperfection, including slightly low manhole covers. It stands out all the more since the 11 year old Audi A4 I traded in on the RDX was still as tight and quiet as can be.

When I come up with these annoyances (thump, terrible sounding AM radio reception, surging transmission in stop and go driving, and bluetooth and voice recognition that is so poor it may as well not exist), I just keep reminding myself that this vehicle was about $4K less than a Volvo or a Q5, and that's real money. Nevertheless, the annoyances provide me with a daily reminder of that trade-off, rather than with the joy of driving a new vehicle.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I would urge everyone that is having this problem to take their car back to the dealer to have the problem checked out. At the very least this way it will be documented and forwarded to Acura.
If it can't be resolved by the dealer, contact Acura and voice your concerns.
This is not acceptable performance for a so called luxury brand.
No one should have to put up with this or consider it as being a normal characteristic of the brand.
Mine goes in next Wednesday.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

hand-filer.....If I was closer to the dealer, I'd do it this week. When I get a chance to go to NS, 'll get it checked and documented then. Again though, I've been driving the RDX since May and I can think of 2 or 3 times where I said to myself...what is that thump?!

gzvette61...I am sorry to see that you are not enjoying your RDX as much as most of us are. I did not even know people still listened to am radio stations and often wondered why these are still offered. The surging transmission is not something I really experience, at least, not that I am aware. Never had a bluetooth issue since I have the RDX. I lost a few connection on my 2012 TL, but not the on the RDX (yet).
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Weather
Yes take it in and have it looked at when you are able. The only way Acura or Honda will address this is if they know about it and enough people complain about it.
The thunk or low frequency thrumming sound that most people notice is more than likely the inner panel of the lift gate. It resonates like a base drum. I found this out tonight by crawling into the back and rapping on the panel with the palm of my hand. This is a problem that can easily addressed with sound deadening panels. What I can't understand is how this was overlooked (or ignored) by the interior design group.
The tailgate appears to be solid when its latched shut so I am leaning towards the clunking noise being suspension related. In my case the clunk is very loud.
The sound system would also be more enjoyable if these irritants can be rectified.
Do you live in a province or territory without a dealer? We only have one in Winnipeg but they have a good reputation so I am still optimistic that this will get taken care of.

Last edited by hand-filer; 12-05-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ There is a dealer in my province (about 2h away) but I will not deal with them...I would rather take it to where I purchase my vehicles which is about 4h away. When I do go there next, I will have it checked for sure.

Hope things are well in Winnipeg...I go there a few times a year for work related meetings.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 AM
8th Gear

Just got back from a 400 mile jaunt today. This past week I installed the window shade type cargo cover hatch and cargo tray I got from Bernardi. Took about 5 minutes and no skill. Amazingly, with these in place on today's journey, the very loud, sharp thumps weren't heard despite some of New York's best pothole attempts. The noise was a very normal suspension bumping sound

Then we stopped on the way home at the grocery store and I retracted the cover when I put the groceries in the wayback. Lo and behold, the loud thumping was back when I hit sharp bumps. Looks like I will be keeping the cargo cover closed to not have to listen to Acura's poor noise attenuation design. Overall, a cheap fix, if it lasts!
hand-filer (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Interesting! I have the cargo cover and a WeatherTech cargo liner on order at present.
It was my hope that the cover would help to subdue the noises. If this is the cure I'd be very happy.
I'll post my findings next week after I install and test this.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Interesting! I have the cargo cover and a WeatherTech cargo liner on order at present.
It was my hope that the cover would help to subdue the noises. If this is the cure I'd be very happy.
I'll post my findings next week after I install and test this.
I have not heard any kind of thump coming from the rear. I drove about 100 miles around Chicago suburbs yesterday and specifically listned for it but there was nothing. I don't believe this is a normal sound for you to be hearing. I don't have the cargo cover and don't plan on getting it. I had one on an Infiniti for ten years and very rarely used it. It seemed to be more in the way than being useful because I always had to take it out and store it someplace when I needed to haul something. Kind of a pain in the butt actually. Ended up leaving it out alot and putting it back in when I traded it. The one in the Infiniti was fairly heavy as well so I didn't like carrying the extra weight around when it wasn't needed. I have the black interior in the RDX so I bought a black blanket and keep it in the car. They say you should have one for winter safety anyway and it is very light. When I have something I want to hide I just throw the blanket over it. Can't see anything then and the blanket was about 1/15 the price.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mentioned this issue to my dealer some time ago. I took the service tech out for a test drive and he definitely "noticed" it and thought it to be worth investigation. He was going to take the "tester" out for a spin to see if it did the same thing but I haven't heard back yet. I am relieved that others are experiencing this noise because I certainly did not during my initial test drive.

I will monitor this thread in the mean time to see if anyone gets any resolution from the dealer.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
I have not experienced this problem. Just a thought. Maybe a loose rear side panel as installing the cargo cover may stabilize them?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 AM

I took the tire out yesterday. The tire well has patches of sound deadening material applied in a loose checker board pattern. As mentioned before that well is a drum. I noticed the left side black foam block seemed loose and would easily wobble by hand. I took a towel and laid it out stuffing it under the foam block preventing it from knocking on the floor of the tire well. I put the tire back in and it appears some of the thump is gone. Could be the towel, could be the foam block being shimmed...I do still hear a resonant sound when going over bumps, but the thump is lessened.
I still want to tighten up the rear hatch. I think the way to do that is to use an allen wrench to back out the two black stops in the hatch frame...can anybody confirm the procedure...I think my resonant sound is related to the hatch still...it sounds to me like the hatch is allowed 1/16th of an inch too much play.

Can everybody experiencing the issue confirm tech or non tech package? Tech units having the auto open/close door create a data point here. I'm non tech.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM
8th Gear

I'm non tech. Haven't dug into the well yet. Will add it to my spare time list.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

I took the tire out yesterday. The tire well has patches of sound deadening material applied in a loose checker board pattern. As mentioned before that well is a drum. I noticed the left side black foam block seemed loose and would easily wobble by hand. I took a towel and laid it out stuffing it under the foam block preventing it from knocking on the floor of the tire well. I put the tire back in and it appears some of the thump is gone. Could be the towel, could be the foam block being shimmed...I do still hear a resonant sound when going over bumps, but the thump is lessened.
I still want to tighten up the rear hatch. I think the way to do that is to use an allen wrench to back out the two black stops in the hatch frame...can anybody confirm the procedure...I think my resonant sound is related to the hatch still...it sounds to me like the hatch is allowed 1/16th of an inch too much play.

Can everybody experiencing the issue confirm tech or non tech package? Tech units having the auto open/close door create a data point here. I'm non tech.
Mine has the tech package. I lined the entire spare tire well with Dynamat sound deadener. It had no effect.
Ive driven the vehicle with the spare tire removed, the spare tire cover removed and with both removed. No effect.
The sound is coming either from the hatch or from behind the panel on the sub woofer side.
It goes back to the dealer on Wednesday.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine has the tech package. I lined the entire spare tire well with Dynamat sound deadener. It had no effect.
Ive driven the vehicle with the spare tire removed, the spare tire cover removed and with both removed. No effect.
The sound is coming either from the hatch or from behind the panel on the sub woofer side.
It goes back to the dealer on Wednesday.
Let us know what you find out at the dealer. Sometimes I notice a sound from back there and sometimes not.

Regards, Jim
Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll post the outcome immediately or sooner.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jjust wanted to contribute my dealings with the clunking issue. My “clunking” was happening in the right rear. Was driving myself crazy trying to find the cause. Couldn't see anything under the car, couldn't find anything in the spare tire well.

Took it to the dealer yesterday. Ended up being the strut. They replaced the strut and all is well.

Anyone else having this issue may want to bring it to a dealer and tell them to check the struts.

BTW, had a TL for a loaner, very nice, but I like the RDX better. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by DRDX:
AmberB (12-13-2012), kfhughes (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRDX
Jjust wanted to contribute my dealings with the clunking issue. My “clunking” was happening in the right rear. Was driving myself crazy trying to find the cause. Couldn't see anything under the car, couldn't find anything in the spare tire well.

Took it to the dealer yesterday. Ended up being the strut. They replaced the strut and all is well.
Anyone else having this issue may want to bring it to a dealer and tell them to check the struts.

BTW, had a TL for a loaner, very nice, but I like the RDX better. :-)
That's what mine was diagnosed with. Both sides in my case. The dealership only had one in stock so they replaced the left side for now. It only sounds half as bad now.
The service manager mentioned that they have replaced a number of them on the RDX's and thinks a recall may come out of this.
The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
AmberB (12-13-2012), kfhughes (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 PM
6th Gear

2013 RDX with tech
I am also experiencing this clunking sound from the rear of the vehicle when going over bumps. Quite noticeable, and quite annoying. I'll have the dealer check the struts as others have mentioned.

The loud clunking sound, low rpm shuddering/vibration, excessive brake squeal, lousy steering feel compared with 2007 RDX.......cumulative effect is real disappointment with this car.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm having this sound also going over potholes and bumps.
Will have the dealer check the struts for me hopefully next week.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM

Finally, a diagnosis! Mine's either been getting a lot worse or my patience with a 3 month old car sounding like a junker is wearing quite thin. Maybe both.

Now, do I wait until I need an oil change or do I go get this fixed up? Can it wait or is it unsafe?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Finally, a diagnosis! Mine's either been getting a lot worse or my patience with a 3 month old car sounding like a junker is wearing quite thin. Maybe both.

Now, do I wait until I need an oil change or do I go get this fixed up? Can it wait or is it unsafe?
I wouldn't wait, I'd take it in and get it dealt with. Once fixed, you will start to feel much better about the car and your decision to buy it.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AmberB,

I agree with hand-filer, I'd get it fixed now.

I have to say driving home from the dealer last night was a lot more enjoyable knowing I wasn't going to hear that clunk anymore.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I wonder if our RDX makes noise. We always have the radio on, so who knows what kinda random noises it makes.

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear