Canadian MSRP for 2016 RDX - Elite

Old 09-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Canadian MSRP for 2016 RDX - Elite

New user here.

I am currently looking to lease a 2016 Acura RDX. Can anyone who purchased this vehicle in Canada (specifically Ontario) tell me how much MSRP they paid for it? Dealers around the GTA have ads listing this trim at about $48K. I am wondering how much I can get away with keeping in mind that the dealer also needs to make a profit, which is fair. I was thinking of negotiating the price from $44K and upwards and am willing to settle at $45K which is about $3K under the MSRP. Is there enough room for the dealer to make their buck without me overpaying?

Also, I have read here about the RDX’s problems with squeaking brakes. Anything else I should be aware of?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Karen.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by kmawani
New user here.

I am currently looking to lease a 2016 Acura RDX. Can anyone who purchased this vehicle in Canada (specifically Ontario) tell me how much MSRP they paid for it? Dealers around the GTA have ads listing this trim at about $48K. I am wondering how much I can get away with keeping in mind that the dealer also needs to make a profit, which is fair. I was thinking of negotiating the price from $44K and upwards and am willing to settle at $45K which is about $3K under the MSRP. Is there enough room for the dealer to make their buck without me overpaying?

Also, I have read here about the RDX’s problems with squeaking brakes. Anything else I should be aware of?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Karen.
You can check out some car buying websites and unhaggle websites and check out the dealer cost price.

For a 2016 RDX Elite, the dealership invoice price is ~$42,863. Most dealers want a 4-5% profit so you will probably be able to knock off ~ 1500 or so. If you are good at haggling you might be able to get them to knock off VIN etching and admin fee, and may be portions of PDI.

A skilled sales person will knock $ off the PDI and admin fees and leave the cost of the car the same. If you are skilled then you can have him (or her) focus on giving you the $1500 discount off the car and then focus on the PDI afterwards.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
It is listed at $48,759.75 Canadian. If you purchase it cash, I believe you get $1500 off automatically. I was able to negotiate to below $45,000 but I have a friend in the car industry. Also, I looked at the report from carcostcanada for detailed financials including dealer cost and any special factory rebates that are not advertised.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
hi kmawani
I got my 2016 elite in July 2015 from a dealer in the GTA
dealer cost at the time for the elite was $43,027 (does not include the freight / pdi charge, which cannot be discounted; the $43,027 was confimed via 2 independent sources)
I was able to get it for $1,000 over dealer cost, or $44,027 which included locking wheel nuts and front and rear all-season floor mats
BTW, I was referred to the dealer by the automobile protection association
I also checked unhaggle.com; the best quote I got from them (8 in total) was within $30 of the APA dealer quote
I had the squealing brake issue but it has since been fixed by the dealer near me
no other issues / am really liking this vehicle

Last edited by johnrh; 09-06-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for responses everyone. The information was really helpful. Knowing the dealer invoice price allows me to select a reasonable starting point for my negotiations.

About the VIN etching: is this done automatically on all cars that the dealer purchases from the manufacturer? I was told that in Ontario, as with many provinces and states, this is not mandatory. Do you know if VIN etching lowers your monthly insurance premiums? I am going to ask my insurance company (Allstate) about this.

Thanks again for your helpful information.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Thanks for responses everyone. The information was really helpful. Knowing the dealer invoice price allows me to select a reasonable starting point for my negotiations.

About the VIN etching: is this done automatically on all cars that the dealer purchases from the manufacturer? I was told that in Ontario, as with many provinces and states, this is not mandatory. Do you know if VIN etching lowers your monthly insurance premiums? I am going to ask my insurance company (Allstate) about this.

Some dealers will put them on the cars and "force" the customer to pay for it, some don't.

VIN etching lowers your premium? It was a great idea 10 years ago, but it does nothing to your insurance premium now. Most insurance companies will have statistical info about your car. The VIN etching will not lower your premiums, if not increase it because: 1) you pay for it, thus your net price for your car increases; 2) It's useless to you.

Read the fine print on the VIN Etching and you will understand why I will not pay a penny for it.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
Some dealers will put them on the cars and "force" the customer to pay for it, some don't.

VIN etching lowers your premium? It was a great idea 10 years ago, but it does nothing to your insurance premium now. Most insurance companies will have statistical info about your car. The VIN etching will not lower your premiums, if not increase it because: 1) you pay for it, thus your net price for your car increases; 2) It's useless to you.

Read the fine print on the VIN Etching and you will understand why I will not pay a penny for it.
Thanks RSX. Last night someone told me the exact same thing you told me. Its good to have this information when dealing with the dealers. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Thanks RSX. Last night someone told me the exact same thing you told me. Its good to have this information when dealing with the dealers. Thanks again for your help.
You are welcome. Always my pleasure.

By the way, if you really want the window etching, you can buy those kits for $30 dollars off ebay. You have to send the VIN number to them and they send you a kit complete with stickers and window etching solution.

Realistically, there is little to no value to it until you decide to sell the car and you can tell the potential new buyer that these windows have never been replaced as they have been etched by the "dealership".

In summary: no value added.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Kmawani - also found this (assume you are in Ontario)
"The Consumer Protection Act (2002) prohibits motor vehicle dealers from taking payment for unsolicited goods and services including add-ons or upsells like window etching. The dealer can offer them but he cannot demand payment unless you have agreed to the service and its cost. Add-ons cannot be deemed mandatory, you must be given an opportunity to decline them. Contact the dealer for a full refund. Failing this request assistance from the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC)".
Old 02-08-2023, 05:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Offer it, they will say we can;t even stock it for that price and say call me if you can. At the end of the month if it has been sitting they will call. Trying to figure out these numbers is not often how it goes. Since 1990 I have been at dealerships with my brothers and their friends--buying numerous cars--often I can't believe my brothers nerve and think they are just out there but within two months they end up with the car.Once in 1999 I was buying a civic and I happened to ask my brother to go to the dealership and tell this saleslady I can't bring in the trade in tonight--when he went there it was one of his patients--she told him these accord special editions are going to be cleared for the newer models. So he decided to put an offer on one--for 10m-they in a low tone say 'we can't sell it for that much'--there is an awkwardness for many minutes (where most people leave of change the offer)--the salesperson looked at us and motioned for us to stay--and after acting like they crunched the numbers the manager said he can sell it. I have seen this over and over.If there are many in stock and a few months go by then you have an advantage.

Last edited by freddieb; 02-08-2023 at 05:15 AM.