Any reason to wait for a 2018 RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
I don't think the 2018 model will be redesigned BTW. It's too early in the produce cycle for them . They would need to get at least three to four full years out of the current product. May be the 2019 model will be a redesign. Yes the current model will be a dinosaur by then .
I've seen several articles out there saying that it will be redesigned this year and some of the dealers have told me the same. Here's one; Redesigned 2018 Acura RDX Preview, Release Date, and Pricing
Crossing fingers as I'd like to keep my options open!

Kaputnik: Yes, we are in Auburn, Ca! We were skiing at Sugarbowl last Friday. Last week was epic as long as you got up there early enough to avoid the traffic.
We have a VR in Truckee, but it's been rented, so cannot use right now. My husband is so annoyed! But, more snow this week...
The following users liked this post:
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AuburnCa
I've seen several articles out there saying that it will be redesigned this year and some of the dealers have told me the same. Here's one; Redesigned 2018 Acura RDX Preview, Release Date, and Pricing

When will it come out?

Release date for the 2018 Acura RDX could come as early as spring 2017, with the vehicle reaching showrooms by summer.

Thanks AuburnCA!!! Great, informative article. I guess without too much of a wait, I'll be able to compare them side by side.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
if these rumors are true I will wait in line for rdx like people wait in line for iPhones
Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by AuburnCa

Kaputnik: Yes, we are in Auburn, Ca! We were skiing at Sugarbowl last Friday. Last week was epic as long as you got up there early enough to avoid the traffic.
We have a VR in Truckee, but it's been rented, so cannot use right now. My husband is so annoyed! But, more snow this week...
That is the most generic and broad article I have read in a long time. They keep using general language so that they don't come off as incorrect such as may, and should, and probably. There is a few points if high contention as well, such as the use of a CVT and the return of SH-AWD. Both of which have never been stated anywhere by Honda or Acura. The only thing that I kind of agree with is the use of a 2.0 turbo because Honda released an article in japanese a couple months back showing a family of turbo 4's with the largest being 2.0l and I in absolutely no way see there being a 1.5l in something the size of the RDX and in the RDX's price class.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
That is the most generic and broad article I have read in a long time. They keep using general language so that they don't come off as incorrect such as may, and should, and probably. There is a few points if high contention as well, such as the use of a CVT and the return of SH-AWD. Both of which have never been stated anywhere by Honda or Acura. The only thing that I kind of agree with is the use of a 2.0 turbo because Honda released an article in japanese a couple months back showing a family of turbo 4's with the largest being 2.0l and I in absolutely no way see there being a 1.5l in something the size of the RDX and in the RDX's price class.
My thoughts exactly. It's fun to speculate on this though.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by silental
Agreed. I'm old school and not a fan of less cylinders, more HP and torque from a turbo.. I grew up in the "real" muscle car era of the '60s. The thought of an electric Harley tells me I am a dinasaur. Enjoy the heat, millennials.
I am also a product of the '60s but went the alternative route, handling over brute force. Starting with a '60 Volvo 544 in which I learned to 4-wheel-drift in the snow. Then a much-modified-for-handling '66 Corvair Corsa. If my Volvo's 3-main engine hadn't cratered itself in May '66 I would have held on a few months for a '67 Mustang GT coupe instead of the Corvair. I would have spec'd 289 4-bbl,, 4-spd, dark green with black vinyl, which would have put me in the muscle car crowd. After that, marriage and kids meant a lengthy dismal run of American cars with a brief interlude of a couple of VW Rabbits. Then, beautiful music, rose petals in my path. Honda and Acura happened. All is well. That continues with the TLX and RDX.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:39 AM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Honda is already using a higher output Earthdreams 2.0T in the Honda Avancier, so the powertrain is out there for them to use in other vehicles.

Last edited by MTD; 01-18-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Question

This photo is from: 2018 Acura RDX - review, changes, features, release date, price, spy.

This quote is from: 2018 Acura RDX Redesign, Release date, Rumors, Review
The upcoming 2018 Acura RDX will definitely get to use their all new single-screen infotainment unit which is faster and a lot better in terms of usability.
Any chance this is the 2018 RDX? Or some other model with a single screen?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by silental

This photo is from: 2018 Acura RDX - review, changes, features, release date, price, spy.

This quote is from: 2018 Acura RDX Redesign, Release date, Rumors, Review
Any chance this is the 2018 RDX? Or some other model with a single screen?

LOL, that's the RDX alright. 2013-15.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Exactly... If there was going to be a new RDX launched this year, we would have seen it at an auto show already. No possible way Acura has kept it out of view as there is no reason to do so. This isn't the NSX.....

I bet it will be spring of '18 that we see the new one and it will be sold as a '19.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
LOL, that's the RDX alright. 2013-15.
What I figured.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chickdr

I bet it will be spring of '18 that we see the new one and it will be sold as a '19.
Would not be surprised. My first Acura was a 2002 TL Type S purchased in 2000.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would hardly complain about the RDX front end as compared to the butt ugly Lexus screen door look
Old 02-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmllr8
New user here who literally joined the forum this morning as I am looking at the 2017 RDX as my next car. I had the same question about getting a '17 or '18 RDX until I saw this speculative article about what the '18 could look like:

Redesigned 2018 Acura RDX Preview, Release Date, and Pricing

Turbo 4 cylinder and a CVT would be deal breaker for me, so leaning towards a 2017 instead.
I just joined 'after' buying the RDX AWD w/Tech Pkg.
What a great vehicle, like nothing I have owned before. Fighting with my wife for more drive time, even though it is sort of primarily for her..sort of.
In doing my own research on the 2018, I decided, 'why wait?'
Chasing the latest and greatest will drive you nuts, be it a car or a cell phone. The 2017 is hardly chopped liver.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:02 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayBear
I just joined 'after' buying the RDX AWD w/Tech Pkg.
What a great vehicle, like nothing I have owned before. Fighting with my wife for more drive time, even though it is sort of primarily for her..sort of.
In doing my own research on the 2018, I decided, 'why wait?'
Chasing the latest and greatest will drive you nuts, be it a car or a cell phone. The 2017 is hardly chopped liver.
Congratulations and welcome to the club. It's an awesome car and you'll love it as time goes on. This is a great forum to ask your questions and voice your opinions. I like your philosophy with regards to buying new cars and cellphones. .
Old 03-02-2017, 12:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Audi Q5 and Mercedes GLC are going to continue to be tough competitors for the RDX unless they truly hit a home run with the next gen RDX. Even the Lexus NX is superior in styling and options then current gen RDX. Honda is getting passive.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Beamer
The Audi Q5 and Mercedes GLC are going to continue to be tough competitors for the RDX unless they truly hit a home run with the next gen RDX. Even the Lexus NX is superior in styling and options then current gen RDX. Honda is getting passive.
Getting? Where have you been the past 10 years? Honda has been passive for well over a decade.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Beamer
Everyone's opinion of "superior styling" is different, otherwise there would be just one car available.
As far as Honda getting "passive" goes, that again is an opinion, not a fact, and of course, you are entitled to both of your opinions.
The fit, finish, refinement and power of the RDX does not seem "passive" at all, IMHO.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Skidoor
I really hate the never-ending usage of "soccer Mom" when describing RDX owners and I'm sure I'm not alone.... Very emasculating ....every time I see that, I wanna check to see if I still have a penis...I thought soccer Moms drove minivans, dammit.

How many of us got an RDX cuz we wanted a premium yet very versatile vehicle?
I will second your comment!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by GrayBear
I will second your comment!
LOLS Hey I'm a guy and I drive an RDX too!! But the fact is there are lots of RDXs around here in Marin County - and I almost never see a man driving one.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Y'day, i watched Alex's reivew of f-pace. He mentioned q5, x3, xc60 and gle as competitors. Did not even mention RDX. I think Acura needs a version with more power, better interior (atleast on par with MDX) and sh-awd to move up the chain.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alpha0
Y'day, i watched Alex's reivew of f-pace. He mentioned q5, x3, xc60 and gle as competitors. Did not even mention RDX. I think Acura needs a version with more power, better interior (atleast on par with MDX) and sh-awd to move up the chain.
Didn't know Alex did a review on the F-pace, is that recent?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Just checked and he did in fact do an F-Pace review. This is fricken awesome, I have been waiting for him to do one for months!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:48 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The F-Pace is a very enticing proposition in this segment.
I'm afraid Acura will need a lot more than more power and interior. Honda is running dry on innovation. They've got nothing but an uninspiring V6, aging gearboxes, and sh-AWD that they can't over use for fear of cannibalizing the lineup. I'm a huge Honda fan but I see the writing on the wall for this company in the way of Mitsubishi. Their F1 program is very indicative of what is happening at Honda. They no longer can innovate, and when they do they lose reliability. When you are neither reliable (Japanese) or innovative (German) what do you have left? Value? The Korean is taking everyone to school in that category.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cFoo
The F-Pace is a very enticing proposition in this segment.
I'm afraid Acura will need a lot more than more power and interior. Honda is running dry on innovation. They've got nothing but an uninspiring V6, aging gearboxes, and sh-AWD that they can't over use for fear of cannibalizing the lineup. I'm a huge Honda fan but I see the writing on the wall for this company in the way of Mitsubishi. Their F1 program is very indicative of what is happening at Honda. They no longer can innovate, and when they do they lose reliability. When you are neither reliable (Japanese) or innovative (German) what do you have left? Value? The Korean is taking everyone to school in that category.
But you are wrong here, the Koreans are currently doing both AND VALUE! They have reliability AND innovation down pat and quite frankly are doing luxury better than some Japanese brands are.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:08 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Come on. The current RDX is at the end of its life and awaiting a rebirth. It doesn't even compare remotely to the brand new European offerings and rightfully so. Wait till the new RDX is released and all those mongers will leave the Europeans citing high cost / reliability issues and line up for Acura again. .
Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
Come on. The current RDX is at the end of its life and awaiting a rebirth. It doesn't even compare remotely to the brand new European offerings and rightfully so. Wait till the new RDX is released and all those mongers will leave the Europeans citing high cost / reliability issues and line up for Acura again. .
You have quite a bit of confidence in Acura don't you? Don't hold your breath, they have been ruining dreams for over a decade lmao.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Pro

You have quite a bit of confidence in Acura don't you? Don't hold your breath, they have been ruining dreams for over a decade lmao.
Agreed. Look at the TLX. Not exactly a leap over either the TSX or TL. They just recycle things and keep trudging along. I did notice the brand new CRV Touring in front of me had full LED lights which looked pretty nice. Even had LED turns which the RDX lacks. It will be interesting to see what Acura comes up with for the next RDX. My girlfriend has already said she will never buy another Acura after the experience we have had with the RDX.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Agreed. Look at the TLX. Not exactly a leap over either the TSX or TL. They just recycle things and keep trudging along. I did notice the brand new CRV Touring in front of me had full LED lights which looked pretty nice. Even had LED turns which the RDX lacks. It will be interesting to see what Acura comes up with for the next RDX. My girlfriend has already said she will never buy another Acura after the experience we have had with the RDX.
Exactly! Just a note though, the 2016+ RDX with the jewel eyes do have LED turn signals in the headlight (if that's what you are talking about, unless you mean the rear lights?). I just bought a 2012 Kia Sorento SX and it is honestly 10X the car my garbage MDX was. I don't care that it is newer, it puts the new RDX to shame in so many areas as well and the 2016 Sorento simply annihilates the RDX in every imaginable area. I don't blame your girl friend at all.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Pro

Exactly! Just a note though, the 2016+ RDX with the jewel eyes do have LED turn signals in the headlight (if that's what you are talking about, unless you mean the rear lights?). I just bought a 2012 Kia Sorento SX and it is honestly 10X the car my garbage MDX was. I don't care that it is newer, it puts the new RDX to shame in so many areas as well and the 2016 Sorento simply annihilates the RDX in every imaginable area. I don't blame your girl friend at all.
Yes it was the rear turns. The entire cluster is LED.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes it was the rear turns. The entire cluster is LED.
That's a joke to be honest. They put full LED headlights but give you Bulbs for the tail lights? Like why?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:12 AM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But you are wrong here, the Koreans are currently doing both AND VALUE! They have reliability AND innovation down pat and quite frankly are doing luxury better than some Japanese brands are.
Can't argue with you there. I'm still not completely sold on the innovation as most of their techs are copy cats but arguably reliability, luxury, and value are definitely there.