Any reason to wait for a 2018 RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
I see that competition with turbo 4s have low end torque.

That seems like an advantage
Old 01-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on how Acura manages the torque curve and how well the front tires put down the power. My car has loads of front tire shredding torque that is great for passing on 2 lane back roads but it is a bit harsh for stop and go city driving p. AWD would likely help that out a bit and honestly I haven't driven any of the competitors vehicles to give a real life answer.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Depends on how Acura manages the torque curve and how well the front tires put down the power. My car has loads of front tire shredding torque that is great for passing on 2 lane back roads but it is a bit harsh for stop and go city driving. AWD would likely help that out a bit and honestly I haven't driven any of the competitors vehicles to give a real life answer.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by silental
If they turbo the 6cyl...OK. But not a 4cyl. "4cyl. torque beast". PLEASE!
?? The old 1G turbo 4 cyl still puts down more torque than the current V6, and it goes way up with a few easy mods. It's the uneven, angry mid-range power delivery that make it a poor fit for the current style RDX.

If Acura goes I4 turbo, they will surprise us and get it right. The last iteration was not successful since Acura buyers didnt want a sporty RDX. They have hopefully learned and will stick with something that maintains the current popularity of the RDX.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 01-03-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
And give us back the sport suspension with the turbo option so we can throw the RDX in/out of corners like the 1G

Acura seems squarely focused on those that favor a soft and quiet ride with the RDX. I don't see the options range unless Acura decides to target a wider audience with this vehicle.
Lol at throwing the 2G RDX into a curve like the 1G, it would roll over so horrendously. I literally think it would fail the moose test like the grand cherokee did. Hell I almost rolled my loaner when I tried driving it like my 1G.

Originally Posted by bmllr8
New user here who literally joined the forum this morning as I am looking at the 2017 RDX as my next car. I had the same question about getting a '17 or '18 RDX until I saw this speculative article about what the '18 could look like:

Redesigned 2018 Acura RDX Preview, Release Date, and Pricing

Turbo 4 cylinder and a CVT would be deal breaker for me, so leaning towards a 2017 instead.
I am pretty much 100% certain you will not see a CVT in an RDX ANYTIME soon. Don't worry about that anytime soon.

I'm liking it! Another torque beast!

If I wanted a pillowy soft ride and a V6, I'd buy a Lexus RX.
Exactly, the J series is breathless at low rpms, give me a turbo 4 over a J35 any day of the week.

Originally Posted by silental
If they turbo the 6cyl...OK. But not a 4cyl. "4cyl. torque beast". PLEASE!
Turbo 6 in an RDX? Are we looking at the same brand?

Originally Posted by BC01191980
I see that competition with turbo 4s have low end torque.

That seems like an advantage
It really is, in my experience the J series V6 really lacks low end torque and a turbo 4 could remedy that. But no stupid 1.5l, give us at least a 2.0l.

?? The old 1G turbo 4 cyl still puts down more torque than the current V6, and it goes way up with a few easy mods. It's the uneven, angry mid-range power delivery that make it a poor fit for the current style RDX.

If Acura goes I4 turbo, they will surprise us and get it right. The last iteration was not successful since Acura buyers didnt want a sporty RDX. They have hopefully learned and will stick with something that maintains the current popularity of the RDX.
If they have learned, you will never see a sporty RDX ever again. But honestly, I don't know if it was the move to a V6 that improved RDX sales as much as it was increasing the size and toning down the looks. They should have kept the SH-AWD and turbo 4...in a world where EVERYONE is moving to turbo 4's, Acura decides to take out their turbo 4 and install a V6. I maintain that multiple engine options should be available.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

RDX10 - I hope you are correct about the CVT. My wife has had several Nissan's with CVT's which were 6 cylinder engines and while we had zero issues (she always parts with them at 50k miles) I just never warmed up to them. I am guessing there will be a big change in the near future for the RDX transmission as Acura can't stay competitive for very long using the 6 speed automatic when others (including their own sedans/SUV's) are adding more gears to their transmissions to improve efficiency. I wouldn't be totally opposed to Acura offering the dual clutch transmission with a torque converter similar to what they currently run on the TLX,
Old 01-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
If they have learned, you will never see a sporty RDX ever again. But honestly, I don't know if it was the move to a V6 that improved RDX sales as much as it was increasing the size and toning down the looks. They should have kept the SH-AWD and turbo 4...in a world where EVERYONE is moving to turbo 4's, Acura decides to take out their turbo 4 and install a V6. I maintain that multiple engine options should be available.
I doubt 95% of buyers appreciated that Acura went from an I4 turbo to a V6. Or that there even was a 1G RDX. I suspect Acura came out with an great all-around package that was discovered by the family types, soccer moms, etc those looking for a more affordable option to the RX or more premium small SUV. I think Acura hit the nail on the head as far as finding a market niche.

An I4 turbo and CVT in a new RDX seems too redundant with the CRV. I think (hope) they will continue with a powertrain to clearly distinguish the two vehicle lines.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I doubt 95% of buyers appreciated that Acura went from an I4 turbo to a V6. Or that there even was a 1G RDX. I suspect Acura came out with an great all-around package that was discovered by the family types, soccer moms, etc those looking for a more affordable option to the RX or more premium small SUV. I think Acura hit the nail on the head as far as finding a market niche.

An I4 turbo and CVT in a new RDX seems too redundant with the CRV. I think (hope) they will continue with a powertrain to clearly distinguish the two vehicle lines.
I was thinking about this and I am not so sure anymore. The move from 1G to 2G saw the RDX really shift closer to the CRV. Before it had a completely different drivetrain and I never thought I would see the day where they would take SH-AWD out of a product and install the same AWD system from the CRV, to top it off they took the V6 from the accord and not the one they are using in other Acura's/Hondas with direct injection tech.

If they keep a V6, or if they install their rumoured larger 2.0 turbo, they will not be installing a CVT, however if someone at Acura HQ is sniffing the koolaid and they install a 1.5l like the civic and CRV, you can almost guarantee a CVT.

I guess perhaps the biggest shame is that they have so much access to tech not available during the 1G RDX time and don't seem interested in using them to bring back at least a sport trim for the RDX. Imagine our 1G RDX's had direct injected 2.3l turbos making close to 300hp/lbft mated to the new generation SH-AWD, with the new 8 speed DCT. Would be an absolute fricken beast.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Instructor

2.0 turbo and 8 speed transmission would be great
Old 01-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I really hate the never-ending usage of "soccer Mom" when describing RDX owners and I'm sure I'm not alone.... Very emasculating ....every time I see that, I wanna check to see if I still have a penis...I thought soccer Moms drove minivans, dammit.

How many of us got an RDX cuz we wanted a premium yet very versatile vehicle?
Old 01-04-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor
I really hate the never-ending usage of "soccer Mom" when describing RDX owners and I'm sure I'm not alone.... Very emasculating ....every time I see that, I wanna check to see if I still have a penis...I thought soccer Moms drove minivans, dammit.

the gays use that word...versatile.
LOL
Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM

but who really cares about stereotypes?
the machine doesnt make the man, the man makes the machine.
remember that.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Racer

wow, I've never received so many PM's...settle down boys, one at a time...and I don't need any help ensuring I still have a peepee.....justnspace, help me out here, maybe you can be vers for awhile?
Old 01-04-2017, 02:24 PM

power bottom, baby!
:gheyhug:
Old 01-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Racer

was just looking at your avatar, I'd need to see a lab test
Old 01-04-2017, 02:52 PM

pinch. pinch!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Pro

Reality is in my area, Marin County, mostly who I see driving RDXs and MDXs are soccer mom types, including lil' one car seats aplenty. No offense intended, and after all I did state the following which includes your sentiment: "I suspect Acura came out with an great all-around package that was discovered by the family types, soccer moms, etc those looking for a more affordable option to the RX or more premium small SUV."

I own an S2000 and I swear, around here 75% of the drivers in them are old ladies. My 75 year aunt has one as her DD. Interpret how you see fit
Old 01-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Racer

ya, its the same thing here, and it doesn't help when my RDX is white...lol...The neighbours had a black RDX for her and a black Infiniti EX35 for him, and after I brought my RDX home, she switched to a white RDX!....and he just turns his nose up at me when he drives by.....aarrggghhh
Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmllr8
After years of having 6 cylinder powered cars my latest ride is a turbcharged 4. Good power, great torque but that nonlinear build up of power as the turbo comes online is maddening for me. I am looking forward to going back to a 6 cylinder.
Based on simple physics alone, I could not agree more. I remember when going from an 8 to a 6 sucked.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Don't think the new RDX will be turbo 4, assuming it will be direct-injection V6 with the ZF 9-speed. Logical for several reasons:

1- 2G RDX was successful partly due to the smooth V6. Without the RDX Acura is in trouble, so they're not going to risk going back to 4-cyl when the V6 was so successful
2- Doubtful the RDX will debut a turbo 4-cyl / automatic or DCT. The L-series turbo from the CR-V and Civic doesn't have enough power for the RDX, and the K-series turbos have only ever been mated to manuals thus far. If they put turbo-4 and DCT, what other applications does it have? Would that replace the V6 TLX being in the high 200 hp range?
3-Acura isn't putting CVTs in its cars. It had the chance with the TLX and ILX (their 4-cyl engines were designed with the current Accord's 4-cyl, that would've been logical and easy, but the two got different transmissions for a reason. Acura isn't doing CVTs in their new products)
4- They already have the DI Earth Dreams V6 and 9-speed developed...More efficient, potentially more power, and way lower development costs.

Anyone agree/disagree? I certainly would like to see a DCT and K-series turbo, that would make the TLX more competitive and would probably work well in the RDX too. But Acura is leaning towards NA right now.

Last edited by panamera125; 01-04-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BC01191980
2.0 turbo and 8 speed transmission would be great
Agreed!

Honestly, don't let that crap get to you. I have only ever owned crossovers (6 so far) and I am also a younger male and while all my friends own manual, 2-door sport cars...I roll around in the QUEEN of mommy mobiles, a 2007 MDX. Every crossover is considered a mommy mobile, my friend used to call my 07 RDX a mommy mobile until he rode with me and I completely annihilated his expectations. Thing is, even crossovers like the X5M and cayenne turbo S are considered mommy mobiles when we all full well know those 2 can annihilate most sport cars. At the end of the day, if you were to buy a sports car, people would be saying you were having a "X-life crisis"...moral of the story, who cares.

Originally Posted by justnspace
LOL

power bottom, baby!
:gheyhug:

Originally Posted by panamera125
Don't think the new RDX will be turbo 4, assuming it will be direct-injection V6 with the ZF 9-speed. Logical for several reasons:

1- 2G RDX was successful partly due to the smooth V6. Without the RDX Acura is in trouble, so they're not going to risk going back to 4-cyl when the V6 was so successful
2- Doubtful the RDX will debut a turbo 4-cyl / automatic or DCT. The L-series turbo from the CR-V and Civic doesn't have enough power for the RDX, and the K-series turbos have only ever been mated to manuals thus far. If they put turbo-4 and DCT, what other applications does it have? Would that replace the V6 TLX being in the high 200 hp range?
3-Acura isn't putting CVTs in its cars. It had the chance with the TLX and ILX (their 4-cyl engines were designed with the current Accord's 4-cyl, that would've been logical and easy, but the two got different transmissions for a reason. Acura isn't doing CVTs in their new products)
4- They already have the DI Earth Dreams V6 and 9-speed developed...More efficient, potentially more power, and way lower development costs.

Anyone agree/disagree? I certainly would like to see a DCT and K-series turbo, that would make the TLX more competitive and would probably work well in the RDX too. But Acura is leaning towards NA right now.
I would agree (and do) with mostly everything you have said except you are wrong on one major thing you mentioned. To look at the future, you must look at the past and remember that the 1G RDX was running a K23 turbo with a 5 speed automatic....in fairness that engine is dead...but who is to say it can't be modified slightly to work? Back in 2007 it was pushing 240hp and 260lb/ft, had it been direct injected as well, I can easily see it pushing 300hp and 300lb/ft. I always read about reviews complaining about turbo lag with the K23 and I strongly disagree, it actually jumped online very smoothly and with max torque appearing at 4500rpm..the numbers support the way I feel.

Edit: Wait a minute! You drive a 2008 RDX and forgot that it has a K-series turbo?
Old 01-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Agreed!

Honestly, don't let that crap get to you. I have only ever owned crossovers (6 so far) and I am also a younger male and while all my friends own manual, 2-door sport cars...I roll around in the QUEEN of mommy mobiles, a 2007 MDX. Every crossover is considered a mommy mobile, my friend used to call my 07 RDX a mommy mobile until he rode with me and I completely annihilated his expectations. Thing is, even crossovers like the X5M and cayenne turbo S are considered mommy mobiles when we all full well know those 2 can annihilate most sport cars. At the end of the day, if you were to buy a sports car, people would be saying you were having a "X-life crisis"...moral of the story, who cares.

I would agree (and do) with mostly everything you have said except you are wrong on one major thing you mentioned. To look at the future, you must look at the past and remember that the 1G RDX was running a K23 turbo with a 5 speed automatic....in fairness that engine is dead...but who is to say it can't be modified slightly to work? Back in 2007 it was pushing 240hp and 260lb/ft, had it been direct injected as well, I can easily see it pushing 300hp and 300lb/ft. I always read about reviews complaining about turbo lag with the K23 and I strongly disagree, it actually jumped online very smoothly and with max torque appearing at 4500rpm..the numbers support the way I feel.

Edit: Wait a minute! You drive a 2008 RDX and forgot that it has a K-series turbo?

Haha you caught me! I know the RDX has a K23, but I really meant the K20C series turbos with DI and the more modern turbo. The K23 was a great engine with huge potential, but it's just not efficient enough to be resurrected. I really doubt they'd tweak that engine when they already have a new, more powerful and more efficient 4-cyl that could be used, especially being as a 5-speed would never cut it anymore.

As far as turbo lag, it's interesting you say that being as you had the 2007 RDX. I agree that the car is responsive, but it gets you moving by downshifting and spooling the turbo with more revs. I've experimented, and if you're gentle enough to keep it in 5th, say, on the highway, the car doesn't have boost for a full 5-8 seconds. Very different from other modern turbos I've driven, where you can just put your foot down in any gear and there is almost instant response (less than a second). I do love that kick you get in the RDX when you actually get boost though, that's fun.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by panamera125
Haha you caught me! I know the RDX has a K23, but I really meant the K20C series turbos with DI and the more modern turbo. The K23 was a great engine with huge potential, but it's just not efficient enough to be resurrected. I really doubt they'd tweak that engine when they already have a new, more powerful and more efficient 4-cyl that could be used, especially being as a 5-speed would never cut it anymore.

As far as turbo lag, it's interesting you say that being as you had the 2007 RDX. I agree that the car is responsive, but it gets you moving by downshifting and spooling the turbo with more revs. I've experimented, and if you're gentle enough to keep it in 5th, say, on the highway, the car doesn't have boost for a full 5-8 seconds. Very different from other modern turbos I've driven, where you can just put your foot down in any gear and there is almost instant response (less than a second). I do love that kick you get in the RDX when you actually get boost though, that's fun.
hahah no I totally see where you were going with that. I was just being a little brat. I am almost 100% sure they would not resurrect that engine based solely on the fact that it uses a top mount inter cooler and the design may not allow for use in sedans. I do find it kind of funny though that Honda uses DOHC in their 4 cylinder engines but not their V6's...some of which they use in 70k vehicles...Oh and lmao something tells me that old 5 speed would shift better than the new 9 speed haha.

I think that lag on the highway may have to do with the fact that it has a "variable geometry turbo" with that whole fancy nozzle deal. But I am not entirely sure if that explains why it doesn't come online for that long of a time. I guess all I can say for the newer turbos is they have roughly 5 years of advances over the one in the RDX and the engines are also better engineered with direct injection and all that extra fluffy stuff. I also can't say I have ever experienced that lag either, actually quite the opposite, but then again I have never driven it that way. I miss the passing power when prodding the pedal nicely, I could zip through cracks in traffic like nothing. But I do agree completely that the newer generation of turbo vehicles are pretty impressive, for example we had a 2014 ford escape with the 1.6l turbo and that thing would have NEVER made me feel it was a 1.6l unless I checked.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Wow.... this discussion is getting too technical for me. I guess that's the point of this forum and you guys are only getting started anyways. .
Old 01-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Advanced

LOL
That's it! I'm getting a Corvette!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
Wow.... this discussion is getting too technical for me. I guess that's the point of this forum and you guys are only getting started anyways. .
haha this always happens when a car is really reliable, not enough issues to complain about so threads usually start going all squirrly till the next gen comes out haha.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Pro

LOL at least we are not debating child car seats!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL at least we are not debating child car seats!
That stings a little haha
Old 01-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by doobiewah
and if you like the smooth v6...with the crv going 4 cylinder turbo, could the rdx be too far behind? I'm thinking whenever the update does occur, we may see a 4 cylinder turbo, and for the v6 alone (along with the smooth, well tested 6 spd a/t) we went with the '17. Turbos are ok...just not as smooth and refined as a v6, imho.
+1
Old 01-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by romer
+1
+2
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by romer
+1
+3.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 AM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I think that the current various 1.5T motors Honda is using in the Civic and new CRV might be a great choice for those vehicles, but might not be so great for the RDX. They do however have a 2.0T being used in the CTR coming out. Im also thinking the 2.0T varients would power the next Gen Accord and RDX.

2.0T with around 275hp/lb mated to the 8DCT and SH-AWD would be a wonderful combo. The CRV is getting great reviews for its driving dynamics and lighter, stiffer chassis. Combine that with more power in the RDX version and they should have a winner.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Instructor

I hope there is new rdx in 2018

a lot of competition is coming out with new modes

qx50
q5
x3

to name a few
Old 01-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
We did our due diligence plus the "rumors" about 4-cyl with CVT for the '18 and decided a '17 Advance was the answer, replacing our '13 Tech, which went to our son. My wife did NOT want a 4-cyl. based on the "noise" from my TLX when driven like it should be driven. Photos of our 3 RDX family over on VTEC.net. For us another RDX was the ideal choice.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm liking it! Another torque beast!

If I wanted a pillowy soft ride and a V6, I'd by a Lexus RX.
We had an RX350 and you can have your cushy ride, imprecise handling and poor on-center steering (too much work to keep it going straight.). We prefer the slightly-rough ride and growly engine of Honda/Acura. The Crosstour and two RDXs that followed have been far less tiring to drive on long hauls and we love the secure handling. All three had a V6 with 6-speed, our powertrain of choice. If we're saddled with undersized engines and funky transmissions in the future, well, our latest RDX is going to have to last a while.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CanTex
We had an RX350 and you can have your cushy ride, imprecise handling and poor on-center steering (too much work to keep it going straight.). We prefer the slightly-rough ride and growly engine of Honda/Acura. The Crosstour and two RDXs that followed have been far less tiring to drive on long hauls and we love the secure handling. All three had a V6 with 6-speed, our powertrain of choice. If we're saddled with undersized engines and funky transmissions in the future, well, our latest RDX is going to have to last a while.
Agreed. I'm old school and not a fan of less cylinders, more HP and torque from a turbo.. I grew up in the "real" muscle car era of the '60s. The thought of an electric Harley tells me I am a dinasaur. Enjoy the heat, millennials.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, I've just started reading this thread and you guys are hilarious! I'd actually be ok with the soccer mom label. I was really thinking that this car is more for little old ladies and was feeling kind of bad about that, lol!
Now that I've made up my mind about the RDX vs other cars, the 2018 cannot get here soon enough for me! I want to look at it, drive it and if I like it, buy it. If I don't, then hoping there will be a few 2017 advanced package awd's left at a very good deal...
Old 01-15-2017, 09:05 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I don't think the 2018 model will be redesigned BTW. It's too early in the produce cycle for them . They would need to get at least three to four full years out of the current product. May be the 2019 model will be a redesign. Yes the current model will be a dinosaur by then .
Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think the 2018 model will be redesigned BTW. It's too early in the produce cycle for them . They would need to get at least three to four full years out of the current product. May be the 2019 model will be a redesign. Yes the current model will be a dinosaur by then .
What comfy said. There is nothing broken for them to fix with the 2G rdx and therefore they are not going to do anything. But rest assured that the fact we have mules running around means that you should expect a very large change for the 3G RDX. The 1G RDX ran from 2007-2009 and then 2010-2012, so this will follow suit and you may even see it pushed to 2020 so that the new MDX can come out with the new look and tech first.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AuburnCa
Wow, I've just started reading this thread and you guys are hilarious! I'd actually be ok with the soccer mom label. I was really thinking that this car is more for little old ladies and was feeling kind of bad about that, lol!

BTW are you from Auburn? I just spent a few nights there at a friends house last week, as a base for skiing at SugarBowl.

Quick Reply: Any reason to wait for a 2018 RDX?