Acura Newbie

Old 10-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile Acura Newbie

Hi all! I have been a member of this forum for several years and have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's comments. My lease is almost up on my 2013 Accord and I knew I didn't want Accord #5-just need a change. I am a teacher and travel for my school and pleasure and need the extra utility. I decided to take the leap into a 2016 Acura RDX Advanced AWD Black/Black. The dealership I have been working with forever really came through for me on this one as I have tried so hard to become an Acura customer for awhile now. The sales manager told me it will be ordered today from the factory and will be here by the end of the month. Just wanted to say thanks so much for all the comments and information to help me make my decision easier! I am really excited about my very first Acura (and CUV)!

I do have a question...I plan on purchasing the cargo tray, all weather mats, and having the two front windows tinted. Do I need splash guards and wheel locks or are there any other "pressing" accessories you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Factory order sounds fishy. More likely he "put your name" on a car that's coming down the pipe anyway. I have the OEM splash guards and Weathertech cargo tray/mats and recommend the same for you. I also think door edge film and body side molding is a good idea. I got the moonroof visor as well but that's just personal preference. Wheel locks are a waste of money given that nobody would want to steal those wheels.

Last edited by dirleton; 10-05-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
This thread has some good info on accessories: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ve-why-932263/
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Congratulations on your new car selection. Window tinting, cargo tray and mats are all your personal preference (OEM or weathertech). They will be much cheaper if you buy online through other Acura dealers (unless your dealer offers a combined deal). Personally I feel that the splash guards are too small to serve any useful function but cosmetically they make the side moldings "look complete".
Old 10-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
I got the OEM cargo mat and OEM all-weather mats for my 2016 RDX Elite (that's the Canadian fully loaded). I'm pretty happy with it... like the fact that it says RDX on the mats and cargo tray .

Thus far, overall I am very happy with this vehicle. It's so cool!

Originally Posted by Bamagirl77
Hi all! I have been a member of this forum for several years and have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's comments. My lease is almost up on my 2013 Accord and I knew I didn't want Accord #5-just need a change. I am a teacher and travel for my school and pleasure and need the extra utility. I decided to take the leap into a 2016 Acura RDX Advanced AWD Black/Black. The dealership I have been working with forever really came through for me on this one as I have tried so hard to become an Acura customer for awhile now. The sales manager told me it will be ordered today from the factory and will be here by the end of the month. Just wanted to say thanks so much for all the comments and information to help me make my decision easier! I am really excited about my very first Acura (and CUV)!

I do have a question...I plan on purchasing the cargo tray, all weather mats, and having the two front windows tinted. Do I need splash guards and wheel locks or are there any other "pressing" accessories you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
I got the OEM cargo mat and OEM all-weather mats for my 2016 RDX Elite (that's the Canadian fully loaded). I'm pretty happy with it... like the fact that it says RDX on the mats and cargo tray .

Thus far, overall I am very happy with this vehicle. It's so cool!
Please tell the nice lady what you have told us about the RDX!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Bamagirl77 - Not sure if you have finalized the deal on the RDX, but often times many of these accessories are or can be thrown in for free as part of the deal.

Rockyboy - She is likely out of your league........

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 10-06-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:47 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
If you do travel a lot, I would look into a clear bra for the front end, headlights, and side mirrors. I've used 3M clear bra products on my TSX, RDX and MDX going on for almost 10 yrs. It has saved my front end from road debris, sandy conditions, tumble weeds, UV damage, and occasional front bumper scrapes that would caused damage. It might be too early to tell if UV light will haze the outer cover for the headlights (don't know if outer cover is plastic or glass).

I would also 2nd the all weather floor mats, cargo tray and window tint. You might even think about the cargo area cover if you travel and you want/need to keep something in the trunk area (out of sight, out of mind).

Does the 16 RDX Elite come with a donut spare?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

It comes with a big spare under the cargo floor which has sound dampening cushions.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
If you do travel a lot, I would look into a clear bra for the front end, headlights, and side mirrors. I've used 3M clear bra products on my TSX, RDX and MDX going on for almost 10 yrs. It has saved my front end from road debris, sandy conditions, tumble weeds, UV damage, and occasional front bumper scrapes that would caused damage. It might be too early to tell if UV light will haze the outer cover for the headlights (don't know if outer cover is plastic or glass).

I would also 2nd the all weather floor mats, cargo tray and window tint. You might even think about the cargo area cover if you travel and you want/need to keep something in the trunk area (out of sight, out of mind).

Does the 16 RDX Elite come with a donut spare?
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 AM

It comes with a big spare under the cargo floor which has sound dampening cushions.
does it also come with a magnet?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

It is a magnet--very attractive design. The brilliance of this design is that from the front, it looks like a sedan. It has the coolness factor of a sporty looking sedan and the comfort and practicality of an SUV with powerful road presence.

Originally Posted by justnspace
does it also come with a magnet?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 AM

It is a magnet--very attractive design. The brilliance of this design is that from the front, it looks like a sedan. It has the coolness factor of a sporty looking sedan and the comfort and practicality of an SUV with powerful road presence.
what does it attract?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 AM

aww hell, stop playing coy!

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblin...umbers-937025/

Some here doubted that the 2016 RDX can attract women. Acura brothers, hear me! I put it to the test this Saturday evening:

Four girls flirted with me today after they saw the 2016 RDX. Two were 6/10, one was an 8/10, and the final one 8.5/10.
For full disclosure, I was wearing very expensive leather, semi-formal dress shoes. In addition I wore a nice dress shirt and dress pants from Costco with a Perry Ellis belt. It was cold and windy so I wore a lamb skin leather jacket (very expensive jacket that I got as a gift). Also, I wore a cap. These apparel items may also have factored in.

However, it was very clear they were most impressed by the 2016 RDX. They saw it in the evening when it was dark and full headlights were on. Very cool! Some guys in the group also loved the car.

I ended up with two new phone numbers from the girls (I had one of their numbers already and one I didn't bother to ask). So I got the phone numbers of the two 6/10 and the 8.5/10. Flirty behaviour from them included laughing hysterically at all my jokes, obvious fishing for me to compliment their looks, attempt at footsies, talking to me a lot, walking beside me closely, playful insults, and complimenting me on various things including my sense of style.

I'm not trying to show off. Just demonstrating the attractive power of a nice luxury vehicle plus nice clothing. This information might help some guys out there hopefully. Note: be careful of potential gold diggers though!

Last edited by justnspace; 10-06-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:34 AM

cant forget this one either; https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblin...please-936724/

For the few ladies here (I'm assuming most Acura buyers are men since it's a more masculine brand vs say Lexus), three questions, please provide reasons:

1) Do you view a man who wears a pristine Calvin Klein suit more attractive than if he were wearing a T shirt and sweat pants with holes in it?

2) A man who drives a luxury vehicle like a 2016 Acura, do you find them more attractive than if they drove a beater vehicle, say a 1982 Oldsmobile?

3) Do you view a man who drives luxury vehicles such as a 2016 Acura differently than if say the same man were in a Hyundai (that is not Genesis)?

Thank you kindly.

Last edited by justnspace; 10-06-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Pro

I endorse the cargo cover as well. Another very nice touch is the Weathertech "PlateFrame" License Plate Frames. A little spendy but they look great --- for those who don't like providing the dealer with free advertising.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Thank you all so much for the input. I must admit even though I am so excited, I am nervous as well. LOL. I have been a Honda customer for 15 years and am very happy to stay in the family. I drove the Pilot and the Highlander but have no use for a 3 row SUV. I felt very comfortable driving the RDX-not too big and not too small. Plus Acura offered a much better deal than Honda did on the Pilot. Plus it was way too big for me. I will post pics when I take delivery!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Thank you all so much for the input. I must admit even though I am so excited, I am nervous as well. LOL. I have been a Honda customer for 15 years and am very happy to stay in the family. I drove the Pilot and the Highlander but have no use for a 3 row SUV. I felt very comfortable driving the RDX-not too big and not too small. Plus Acura offered a much better deal than Honda did on the Pilot. Plus it was way too big for me. I will post pics when I take delivery!
Just curious, but what is it that entices you about the RDX? Is it the added "luxury"? You could always buy two brand new base model Honda CRVs for the price of one decked out RDX or buy one Honda CRV and pocket the other $20K for a rainy day. I ask because you seemed to have crossed out the Pilot and Highlander because it has 3rd row seats. You could always fold them down and pretend they are not there. The size difference between a Highlander and the RDX is about 7 inches or about 4~5 percent in length.

What kind of deal are you getting on the RDX? You won't find much room for negotiation on the new Honda Pilot due to simple supply/demand.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Let me explain why someone would buy the RDX:

I was driving at night today on an almost rural road. Another car was behind me, driving really close, pretty much tailgating. I didn't bother to gas my car because a red light was approaching. We both stopped at the red light with me in front. When the light turned green, I stepped on the pedal and went from 0 to 80 km/h seemingly almost instantly (I just broke my engine in by the way, reached over 1000 km so now the fun really starts). I looked in my rearview mirror, the guy behind me was almost nowhere to be seen. He was FAR behind. He was driving some sort of SUV probably a 4 cylinder like the CRV.

That's an example of the thrill of driving the 2016 RDX. The power, the control, the road presence. That is R D X.

Originally Posted by yeoyes
Just curious, but what is it that entices you about the RDX? Is it the added "luxury"? You could always buy two brand new base model Honda CRVs for the price of one decked out RDX or buy one Honda CRV and pocket the other $20K for a rainy day. I ask because you seemed to have crossed out the Pilot and Highlander because it has 3rd row seats. You could always fold them down and pretend they are not there. The size difference between a Highlander and the RDX is about 7 inches or about 4~5 percent in length.

What kind of deal are you getting on the RDX? You won't find much room for negotiation on the new Honda Pilot due to simple supply/demand.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Instructor

I was driving at night today on an almost rural road. Another car was behind me, driving really close, pretty much tailgating. I didn't bother to gas my car because a red light was approaching. We both stopped at the red light with me in front. When the light turned green, I stepped on the pedal and went from 0 to 80 km/h seemingly almost instantly (I just broke my engine in by the way, reached over 1000 km so now the fun really starts). I looked in my rearview mirror, the guy behind me was almost nowhere to be seen. He was FAR behind. He was driving some sort of SUV probably a 4 cylinder like the CRV.

That's an example of the thrill of driving the 2016 RDX. The power, the control, the road presence. That is R D X.
Dude, just reading that made me jizz in my pants.

You heard that correctly, Bamagirl77. Dudes and little boys will be jizzing all over your car when you accelerate in the RDX. I'd option for the interior protection package if I were you.
The following 2 users liked this post by yesrdx:
Curious3GTL (11-03-2015), snorf (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 06:29 AM

Old 10-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Instructor

Hi yeoyes! I have always liked the RDX-even the 1st generation. The reason I chose the RDX over the CRV is the V6 engine. The seats in the RDX are more comfortable for me as well. Plus, my Acura dealer gave me $1000 equity on my Touring while Honda said I have none. The Acura sales manager is throwing in all weather mats for me. My payments only went up $19 a month from my Accord. The dealership I have done business with for 15 years was $250 more a month with the same amount of money down for a Touring Pilot AWD (same sticker price as the RDX), which I am sure is due to supply/demand. Plus, they treated me like I was a nobody. The 9 speed tranny in the upper trim Pilots scare me due to the "bad reviews" I have read. I suppose I could get a quote on an EXL NAVI AWD Pilot...Hmm...

As for the Highlander...my Mom leased a Camry 2 years ago and I could always call her salesman and get a lease quote on a Limited AWD. It did drive well though.

The RDX was supposedly "tagged" on Monday since they found one in the factory to be built. I have until the end of the month to decide as it is supposed to be here around the 25th.

As for the other comments....

I still appreciate all the input!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 AM

LOL at this guy! he's a loser

The 8.5 / 10 texted me for over 2 hours and was flirty. I've arranged to hang out with her again. She has the most potential. Combination of fun and beauty and pretty laid back.

The first 6/10 I already friendzoned her from before.

The second 6/10 she really likes me, complimented my eyes and other stuff. She has a really nice personality, easy to talk to and fun. She has some self-esteem issues so I encouraged her. She will be friendzoned since she is a 6/10. Hey, at least I'm honest!

BTW, something strange has been happening lately ever since more people found out I'm driving the 2016 RDX. Today, a girl that never ever called me this... she told me I look handsome and told her friends also (she's a 4/10 but still...). The strange thing is, I look exactly the same as before. I suspect the only difference is she found out I'm driving a luxury car. Another girl that didn't really notice me has started acting pretty flirty. I got some free donuts the other day (now 2 days old) and offered it to her and she gleefully took it. This girl, her face is 6/10 but her body is like 7.5/10.

So in conclusion, I'm focusing mainly on the 8.5/10 right now but will see if there are others who rate higher.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Bamagirl, owned the car about a month - it's been great so far. You will love the power of the engine and handling is not bad at all for this SUV. In Comparison, much nicer vehicle IMO than the NX. Please post pics of your ride...love black on black!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Dude, just reading that made me jizz in my pants.

You heard that correctly, Bamagirl77. Dudes and little boys will be jizzing all over your car when you accelerate in the RDX. I'd option for the interior protection package if I were you.
LMAO - I'm glad I didn't have a full bladder when I read this or I may have wet myself! TOO FUNNY!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Congrats Bamagirl77. You'll love the RDX!

I can't comment on the Pilot or much about the Highlander. I can only say that I drove Toyota Tacomas for 25 years before moving to the RDX. I found the Toyotas to be rock solid.

BTW, please don't judge the rest of us by anything Rockyboy posts - he's a 16 year old troll infatuated with his mom's RDX.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Congrats Bamagirl77. You'll love the RDX!

I can't comment on the Pilot or much about the Highlander. I can only say that I drove Toyota Tacomas for 25 years before moving to the RDX. I found the Toyotas to be rock solid.

BTW, please don't judge the rest of us by anything Rockyboy posts - he's a 16 year old troll infatuated with his mom's RDX.

Thanks so much all for making me feel welcome! I'm not. I have been a member here long before he came on this site.

On a crazier note...my Honda dealer just contacted me and said they guarantee they can get me into a 2016 Accord Touring or a Pilot AWD EXL NAVI and with a stellar deal.

I am supposed to pay my deposit on my RDX today.

I have had my mind made up for let's see-since 2013 when the 2nd gen RDX came out...
Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM

So with your Honda dealer contacting you, what are you going to do? I guess there is no harm in finding out what they have to say (read details of the deals) other than perhaps some investment of time.
Not sure if there is any additional wiggle room in the deal you have with your Acura dealer, but you might want to mention that your Honda dealer is looking to keep you in a Honda and have come up with some sweet deals. This might get you some traction, but hard to tell. In the end it is obviously up to you and what you want to do for your wallet and your butt. Maybe it's time to satisfy your want for an RDX? Maybe you should go and spend some quality time behind the wheel of all three. Another comparison point is insurance. Reach out to your agent, get some quotes and see if there are any major swings from where you are now that need/should be considered.
Sounds like you have some good "problems." Keep us posted on how things progress.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
So with your Honda dealer contacting you, what are you going to do? I guess there is no harm in finding out what they have to say (read details of the deals) other than perhaps some investment of time.
Not sure if there is any additional wiggle room in the deal you have with your Acura dealer, but you might want to mention that your Honda dealer is looking to keep you in a Honda and have come up with some sweet deals. This might get you some traction, but hard to tell. In the end it is obviously up to you and what you want to do for your wallet and your butt. Maybe it's time to satisfy your want for an RDX? Maybe you should go and spend some quality time behind the wheel of all three. Another comparison point is insurance. Reach out to your agent, get some quotes and see if there are any major swings from where you are now that need/should be considered.
Sounds like you have some good "problems." Keep us posted on how things progress.

My Honda dealer asked for 15 minutes of my time. The Acura dealer is in the same parking lot but not owned by the same company like in major cities.

As for insurance, the quote I received on the RDX is $65 lower for 6 months.

I will keep you all posted!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:06 PM

Ha - 15 minutes. You know that will be a couple of hours at least, but maybe they think you are easy pickings as you are a devoted Honda customer. Good news on the insurance and am going to guess the comprehensive on the Accord is higher because of theft.
Still sounds like there might be an opportunity to play one dealer against another. Best of luck!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

The RDX is better than the CRV in every area. You will be very pleased with the fully loaded 2016 RDX. I find I look forward more to driving places because the RDX is so much fun to drive. The infotainment system is the best out there: up to 3 screens for GPS (one on instrument panel, top big screen splits into two screens--all this gives you GPS info for close, medium, and long range from where you are to your destination). Bottom touch screen or you can use buttons and dials. Amazing options for command and control!!

Hi yeoyes! I have always liked the RDX-even the 1st generation. The reason I chose the RDX over the CRV is the V6 engine. The seats in the RDX are more comfortable for me as well. Plus, my Acura dealer gave me $1000 equity on my Touring while Honda said I have none. The Acura sales manager is throwing in all weather mats for me. My payments only went up $19 a month from my Accord. The dealership I have done business with for 15 years was $250 more a month with the same amount of money down for a Touring Pilot AWD (same sticker price as the RDX), which I am sure is due to supply/demand. Plus, they treated me like I was a nobody. The 9 speed tranny in the upper trim Pilots scare me due to the "bad reviews" I have read. I suppose I could get a quote on an EXL NAVI AWD Pilot...Hmm...

As for the Highlander...my Mom leased a Camry 2 years ago and I could always call her salesman and get a lease quote on a Limited AWD. It did drive well though.

The RDX was supposedly "tagged" on Monday since they found one in the factory to be built. I have until the end of the month to decide as it is supposed to be here around the 25th.

As for the other comments....

I still appreciate all the input!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM

The RDX is better than the CRV in every area. You will be very pleased with the fully loaded 2016 RDX. I find I look forward more to driving places because the RDX is so much fun to drive. The infotainment system is the best out there: up to 3 screens for GPS (one on instrument panel, top big screen splits into two screens--all this gives you GPS info for close, medium, and long range from where you are to your destination). Bottom touch screen or you can use buttons and dials. Amazing options for command and control!!
so, more screens attract more women?
Old 10-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Pro

Ah yes --- the old dealer phone call trick.
2012wagon (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 03:51 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
so, more screens attract more women?
I assume that 'bama is over 16 so she is way out of his league.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Well, it looks like my new RDX will be here October 25th!!! I stopped by the dealership once I left Honda and the sales manager told me it is now in their inventory. He was able to intercept it before it shipped to El (something but not Paso) TX. He called that dealership and made a swap while it was still in production.

I guess you can tell how my visit to Honda went. I was there a total of 10 minutes. They tried to lease me a 2015 CRV EXL NAVI, or a 2015 Honda Accord V6 NAVI (not even a 2016 or equal trim) for my current Accord payment. Oh, and a Pilot Touring AWD was $750 a month with my car and $2K down. They said they maybe could do an EXL (no NAV) Pilot for what I was offered for the RDX.

The sales manager at Honda didn't even acknowledge me. My salesman told me to go lease the RDX. That is "the deal of the century."

They are going to throw in all weather mats and get my windows tinted for me but I am going to drive it first and inspect it before they do all that. I am scheduled to take delivery October 31!!

I cannot thank you all enough for all the advice! I will be posting pics!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Thanks so much all for making me feel welcome! I'm not. I have been a member here long before he came on this site.

On a crazier note...my Honda dealer just contacted me and said they guarantee they can get me into a 2016 Accord Touring or a Pilot AWD EXL NAVI and with a stellar deal.
There used to be another female member on here about 2~3 months ago. I believe her username was Jennifer or something. She didn't stick around too long. Probably felt disgusted by all the guys dry-hump posting to her replies. Hope you stick around longer. Sausage fests are never fun except during Oktoberfest.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:48 PM

Congrats Bamagirl
Bamagirl77 (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Instructor

There used to be another female member on here about 2~3 months ago. I believe her username was Jennifer or something. She didn't stick around too long. Probably felt disgusted by all the guys dry-hump posting to her replies. Hope you stick around longer. Sausage fests are never fun except during Oktoberfest.

Thanks! I teach 7th grade (12-13 year olds) so nothing surprises me. :wink:
Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Instructor

I guess you can tell how my visit to Honda went. I was there a total of 10 minutes. They tried to lease me a 2015 CRV EXL NAVI, or a 2015 Honda Accord V6 NAVI (not even a 2016 or equal trim) for my current Accord payment. Oh, and a Pilot Touring AWD was $750 a month with my car and $2K down. They said they maybe could do an EXL (no NAV) Pilot for what I was offered for the RDX.

They are going to throw in all weather mats and get my windows tinted for me but I am going to drive it first and inspect it before they do all that. I am scheduled to take delivery October 31!!
Are you doing a 60-month financing or 36-month leasing? Financing through Acura/Honda or a credit union? What's your interest rate? Monthly payment figures doesn't really mean much to the rest of us. What's the purchase price (price of vehicle + destination fee)? I'm surprised that one of our members, dirleton, hasn't chimed in to ask what you're paying for documentation fee. He thinks dealerships are the devil with their documentation fee.

I was able to discount a little over 8% off the sticker price + destination fee ($44,340). Hope you can do better.

I don't think you'll find that kind of a deal for the new Accord or Pilot. You should definitely seek 10%+ for the 2015 CRV. Not too sure about the Highlander.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:54 PM

Thanks! I teach 7th grade (12-13 year olds) so nothing surprises me. :wink:
Old 10-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Congrats on your new RDX. I think you made a good choice. The CR-V is really cheap! I've only been in one highlander and don't remember much about it, but if it's typical Toyota it will have an econobox interior - i.e. dirt cheap. (What do you call a Toyota with a decent interior? A lexus.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura Newbie