2017 RDX with tech/text messaging

Old 01-30-2017, 07:32 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 RDX with tech/text messaging

I just purchased/leased a 2017 RDX with tech package. I have an LG V10. I cannot get the text messaging feature to work. Everything else is fine but no text message pop-ups at all. Two salespersons at the dealership who were supposedly trained in this package couldn't figure it out. A tech at Acura tech support also couldn't figure it out after an hour on the phone.

By comparison, I also leased a 2016 Toyota Highlander and the text message function works perfectly. So, I know it is an Acura problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The problem I had with my I-phone 6 was you need to have it send a message. There is an icon I, in the blue tooth setting you need to press. Maybe it is something similar with your phone.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 PM
9th Gear

Unfortunately, I already checked that and the option to have access to messaging was okay. It's strange because it shows an envelope in the upper screen indicating that I have an email, which I don't care about at all. However, it will not display a pop up/drop down when I get a text message.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by johnjrval424
Unfortunately, I already checked that and the option to have access to messaging was okay. It's strange because it shows an envelope in the upper screen indicating that I have an email, which I don't care about at all. However, it will not display a pop up/drop down when I get a text message.
Text messaging works fine with my GF's '16 and her Samsung Galaxy Edge 7. We just paired the phone and it worked. Wish I could help.
The following users liked this post:
johnjrval424 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
make sure you have notifications turned on in your bluetooth settings for handsfree link. also make sure the text messaging is map to the IOS in phone settings. i havent had a issue with the Tech package receiving text messages with any phones. iphones have some issues with the base model.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Nexx
make sure you have notifications turned on in your bluetooth settings for handsfree link. also make sure the text messaging is map to the IOS in phone settings. i havent had a issue with the Tech package receiving text messages with any phones. iphones have some issues with the base model.
Thanks, Nexx. I've double checked the settings. Here is a screenshot of my phone settings so everyone can verify that they are correct.

I'm not sure about this: "make sure the text messaging is map to the IOS in phone settings." Where would I find that?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - I really hope to get this figured out very soon.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 RDX with tech/text messaging-screenshot_2017-01-31-10-25-30.png  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had similar problem with HTC M9 (I think) just would not sync the text. I've googled the problem and came across the post that said "I've deleted my MMS messages and it started working". I did the same thing, deleted all multimedia messages and text started working... until the next MMS. Once deleted, it would start work again.

On the other hand I also used Sony and Samsung without any issues.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:41 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by strykme
I had similar problem with HTC M9 (I think) just would not sync the text. I've googled the problem and came across the post that said "I've deleted my MMS messages and it started working". I did the same thing, deleted all multimedia messages and text started working... until the next MMS. Once deleted, it would start work again.

On the other hand I also used Sony and Samsung without any issues.

Hope that helps.
Yep - that's exactly what I had to do for my Toyota Highlander. Apparently, that system can only hold so many messages. Once I deleted out all of my conversations, the pop-up starting coming into the radio. That was solved at the dealership within about 10 minutes (yay Toyota). Unfortunately, Acura is not having the same luck. I'm becoming more and more convinced that it has to do with my brand phone (LG). Apparently, Samsung doesn't have this problem and, as luck would have it, I just got rid of my Samsung Galaxy 6 about 4 months ago. I can't imagine, in this day and age (and, quite frankly, the premium they charge for this "tech package") that there would be compatibility issues. However, I'm beginning to tire of all the research (I bought this RDX in December 2016) and more frustrated that Acura can't seem to answer questions for their own system.

I'm stopping just short of saying that I may begin regretting my decision to purchase this Acura (my first) given that they have not been much help in getting this resolved. I realize that the feature may not seem very important in the scheme of things but it burns me that they claim to have a premium product, for which you pay a premium price, and then it doesn't work - and the only answer I seem to get from them is either silence (dealership) or "I don't know" (Acura Tech Support).

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:44 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I can tell you it worked fine with my girlfriends LG G4 and currently works with my LG Tribute HD....
johnjrval424 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by johnjrval424
I just purchased/leased a 2017 RDX with tech package. I have an LG V10. I cannot get the text messaging feature to work. Everything else is fine but no text message pop-ups at all. Two salespersons at the dealership who were supposedly trained in this package couldn't figure it out. A tech at Acura tech support also couldn't figure it out after an hour on the phone.

By comparison, I also leased a 2016 Toyota Highlander and the text message function works perfectly. So, I know it is an Acura problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?
I have a 2017 base and an iPhone 6 Plus. In the 8 months I've had it, I've gotten about 10 texts though the system. It appears (at least for me) that the only time the texts come through it when my phone screen is not locked and is "active."
Old 01-31-2017, 07:08 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by matman1215
I have a 2017 base and an iPhone 6 Plus. In the 8 months I've had it, I've gotten about 10 texts though the system. It appears (at least for me) that the only time the texts come through it when my phone screen is not locked and is "active."
That is an interesting theory. While we were at the dealership and the two salespersons were trying to get it to work, we sent text messages to each other in the car and they still wouldn't come through. I had the same phone then that I do now. I was going to test another phone this afternoon with my employee but we ran out of time. I may try it later this week and see what happens.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The dealer should work this out for you. Certainly if there is an envelope on the screen then a message was for sure received. What a pain in the you know what.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
The dealer should work this out for you. Certainly if there is an envelope on the screen then a message was for sure received. What a pain in the you know what.
Agreed. I may contact another dealership outside of this area and see if someone will talk to me about it. Maybe the guys at my dealership don't know what they are doing. Hopefully, I'll get an answer soon.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
You might have already done it, but just in case please delete the phone from the car, reboot the phone and re- pair them a few times. It worked for me. I assume you have turned in the
"Notifications" on the iPhone. I feel for you but can sssure you that it works in RDX.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
If you are ultimately unable to get the RDX to handle the functionality, you can just let the phone handle the message reading/composing duties. This is what I do with my car and it works just fine. Windows Phone will ask if I want to read or ignore and if I want to reply after reading it.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:25 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Comfy
You might have already done it, but just in case please delete the phone from the car, reboot the phone and re- pair them a few times. It worked for me. I assume you have turned in the
"Notifications" on the iPhone. I feel for you but can sssure you that it works in RDX.
Although I followed your advice (I've done this about 7 times now), it still doesn't work. I have an Android - not an iPhone - but I don't think it matters at this point. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:29 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
If you are ultimately unable to get the RDX to handle the functionality, you can just let the phone handle the message reading/composing duties. This is what I do with my car and it works just fine. Windows Phone will ask if I want to read or ignore and if I want to reply after reading it.
And this precisely what I've been doing since I've been driving it. Again - this complaint is not so much the fact that its not working but more about the fact that you pay a premium for a product with an alleged "luxury" level vehicle and they can't overcome compatibility issues. For a first-time Acura buyer, and being a previous Lexus owner and a current BMW owner, I have to say that this first impression is not a good one.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Yeah, I know it sucks but, with so many permutations of Android out there, issues are bound to arise. Some people have gotten issues like this to resolve by flattening their phones (factory reset( and then pairing...
johnjrval424 (02-04-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear

Can anyone suggest the best phones to use with an 2017 RDX. Mine only supports some of the features. I have a Galaxy note 5. Thanks
Old 08-29-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Marshall Ramsey Berra
Can anyone suggest the best phones to use with an 2017 RDX. Mine only supports some of the features. I have a Galaxy note 5. Thanks
I use Siri Eyes Free in my TLX (assuming your RDX has the same capabilities) with my iPhone - love it. Great for texting while driving.

Marshall Ramsey Berra (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
call me old school - but you're really not that important to be distracted texting/calling while driving
Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Works on my '15 RDX after they added the Siri Eyes Free firmware update at no charge.

Search this Thread