2017 Acura rdx

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:35 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Acura rdx

Hi,

I just signed the paperwork for the brand new 2017 rdx yesterday. I haven't yet taken delivery of the vehicle, will be in few days once I get check from bank. I was going through the TSB list and I see couple of them applies to my car's vin too. Does it mean the dealer is supposed to fix this before giving me delivery of the vehicle? Should I talk to them about this? Or do I need to take it to service after taking delivery.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2016, 06:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
yes, you should talk to them about the TSB's

get first hand knowledge from the source by asking them! if they refer you to an appointment to take care of the TSB's, then you have your answer
Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
It is important to understand that TSBs are not the same as recalls.

Recalls are normally items related to safety concerns. For example suspension bolts that may break and cause a loss of control, or the power window switch might overheat and cause a fire. Every vehicle that may be affected by recall MUST be repaired.

TSBs, or Technical Service Bulletins are simply a set of instructions to make it easier for a mechanic to repair frequently occurring problems.

So for example, let's say many RDXs developed a vibration at 50MPH. The mechanic might change a dozen different components before he discovers the actual cause of the vibration. When this happens many times across the entire continent, it gets expensive for Acura. So to avoid this, Acura issues a TSB so that when mechanics come across the same problem in the future, they know how to fix it on their first attempt.

Based on this information, you can see that it is not mandatory that a TSB should be performed. A TSB is only a guide to repair common problems. If you don't have the problem, then you don't need the repair. For example my infotainment system was displaying random characters which is described under one of the TSBs, so I got a replacement unit. They will not be giving you a replacement stereo the day you pick up your new RDX, just because there is a TSB, unless your original one is defective.

So to answer your question, the RDX dealership is not going to perform all the repairs that the TSBs address unless you actually have the problem, and it will take you a period of time to discover if you do have any of the problems. You probably know the old saying "don't fix it if it ain't broke".
Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 AM
5th Gear

Hey Steve,

Something unplanned has come up, I need to leave at 3 today. I will put it as unplanned floating.
Thanks

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
It is important to understand that TSBs are not the same as recalls.

Recalls are normally items related to safety concerns. For example suspension bolts that may break and cause a loss of control, or the power window switch might overheat and cause a fire. Every vehicle that may be affected by recall MUST be repaired.

TSBs, or Technical Service Bulletins are simply a set of instructions to make it easier for a mechanic to repair frequently occurring problems.

Great. I appreciate your lengthy response and it makes sense. I will take the delivery without it and see how it rides and keep those issues in mind if i notice it.

Thanks

So for example, let's say many RDXs developed a vibration at 50MPH. The mechanic might change a dozen different components before he discovers the actual cause of the vibration. When this happens many times across the entire continent, it gets expensive for Acura. So to avoid this, Acura issues a TSB so that when mechanics come across the same problem in the future, they know how to fix it on their first attempt.

Based on this information, you can see that it is not mandatory that a TSB should be performed. A TSB is only a guide to repair common problems. If you don't have the problem, then you don't need the repair. For example my infotainment system was displaying random characters which is described under one of the TSBs, so I got a replacement unit. They will not be giving you a replacement stereo the day you pick up your new RDX, just because there is a TSB, unless your original one is defective.

So to answer your question, the RDX dealership is not going to perform all the repairs that the TSBs address unless you actually have the problem, and it will take you a period of time to discover if you do have any of the problems. You probably know the old saying "don't fix it if it ain't broke".
Old 12-01-2016, 08:28 AM
5th Gear

Sorry for the earlier response. I appreciate your explaination about the TSB. It makes sense. I will take delivery without and keep those issues in mind if i notice it.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I forgot to mention another misconception about TSB's.

Let's say (as an example) that there is a TSB to repair an engine that burns oil. Hopefully the majority of owners will never experience the problem and never need the repair. However some people will not experience the problem until after the warranty expires. These people will then insist that the repair be made for free because there is a TSB issued regarding the problem.

Once again the point to remember is that the TSB is just a procedure on how to repair the problem. Once the warranty has expired, the procedure in the TSB may still be followed, but if the warranty has expired, you the owner are still responsible for the cost. In fact you better hope that the TSB is followed and that your not paying the mechanic to change a dozen parts before he stumbles across the correct part.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 AM
5th Gear

ok great. About the gas you can use, sales person saying u can use 87 grade. Does premium increase gas mileage significantly? he said might increase may be 1 or 2 miles max. not worth in his opinion to use premium gas
Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin347
ok great. About the gas you can use, sales person saying u can use 87 grade. Does premium increase gas mileage significantly? he said might increase may be 1 or 2 miles max. not worth in his opinion to use premium gas
It's your choice. You also lose performance with regular. Personally I would go for premium.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin347
Hey Steve,

Something unplanned has come up, I need to leave at 3 today. I will put it as unplanned floating.
Thanks
Hey Kevin, its Steve. No problem but haven't you been leaving early quite a bit lately? And Sharon in HR is curiously doing the same, and people are talking!
Old 12-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor
Hey Kevin, its Steve. No problem but haven't you been leaving early quite a bit lately? And Sharon in HR is curiously doing the same, and people are talking!
Sure it isn't Dale in receivables?
Old 12-03-2016, 10:16 AM
5th Gear

LOL Funny guy..
Old 12-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Racer

I also recommend you run premium, not 87...I think the engine is largely designed for optimum operation on 91, and when you run 87, the engine management system may have to do things like retard the timing to prevent knock...lower octane fuel gives you a faster flame front during combustion...or so I understand. My old Murano used to knock a bit during stop and go driving (when touching the gas) but never did with premium. (which is recommended by Nissan for that car)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I also recommend you run premium, not 87...I think the engine is largely designed for optimum operation on 91, and when you run 87, the engine management system may have to do things like retard the timing to prevent knock...lower octane fuel gives you a faster flame front during combustion...or so I understand. My old Murano used to knock a bit during stop and go driving (when touching the gas) but never did with premium. (which is recommended by Nissan for that car)
I highly doubt this is the case as the 2016/17 Accord V6 uses the IDENTICAL engine and requires 87. We have run regular for months and notice no issues. Premium was used initially. No difference at all.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
My .02 comes from a 20+ year Honda/Acura Shop Foreman, who is an acquintance of mine . He said that the 3.5 in the RDX is not one of Honda's EarthDreams engines, like the 3.5 in the Ridgeline, Pilot, or the MDX. He said IF it was the EarthDream engine, then 87 would be OK....since it is not, and is tuned differently, he said he would only put 91Octane in it as performance degradation is noticeable. I trust him, so all we are putting in our RDX is premium top-tier.

Some claim to notice no difference in 87 and 91. That might be true; however, it is a personal choice in how you decide to take care of your vehicle. I go with the recommendation I got and am comfortable with it. The cost, realistically, is minimal. I don't disagree with what some say about 87 being OK....I just choose to go a different route.

As always, YMMV.

JMHO.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Doobiewah
My .02 comes from a 20+ year Honda/Acura Shop Foreman, who is an acquintance of mine . He said that the 3.5 in the RDX is not one of Honda's EarthDreams engines, like the 3.5 in the Ridgeline, Pilot, or the MDX. He said IF it was the EarthDream engine, then 87 would be OK....since it is not, and is tuned differently, he said he would only put 91Octane in it as performance degradation is noticeable. I trust him, so all we are putting in our RDX is premium top-tier.

Some claim to notice no difference in 87 and 91. That might be true; however, it is a personal choice in how you decide to take care of your vehicle. I go with the recommendation I got and am comfortable with it. The cost, realistically, is minimal. I don't disagree with what some say about 87 being OK....I just choose to go a different route.

As always, YMMV.

JMHO.
If you get a chance please ask the shop foreman why it would be the exact same engine in the Accord V6 requires 87 while the RDX is said to require 91.....

There is absolutely no logic to this. If you told me the earth dreams motor required 91 I would understand as it is more advanced and better able to adapt/benefit from the higher octane.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Racer

chickdr, its possible you are assuming that the more advanced engine should be the one that would get the 91. I don't personally think how advanced an engine is should matter with regard to preferred octane. The only difference between the 2 fuels is that the hi octane is more compressible without detonation, so in a higher compression (possibly higher HP) engine, the use of higher octane may be required or recommended.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Pro

chickdr, its possible you are assuming that the more advanced engine should be the one that would get the 91. I don't personally think how advanced an engine is should matter with regard to preferred octane. The only difference between the 2 fuels is that the hi octane is more compressible without detonation, so in a higher compression (possibly higher HP) engine, the use of higher octane may be required or recommended.
Not at all. What I assume is the more advanced engine may be able to better make use of the higher octane. I have no problems buying premium when there is a good reason for it. I have a BMW M Roadster with an S54 engine. This motor has always required premium. There are no BMW's which used it and were labeled as ok with 87 octane gas. This is not the case with the RDX. We have the exact same motor used in the Honda Accord V6 Sedan and Coupe which require 87 octane and the RDX which "requires" 91 octane. I want to hear a concrete reason why the RDX would need 91 while the Accord is fine with 87. The fact the owners manual says it isn't good enough for me. The RDX doesn't have an uprated version of the motor either. If it made 290-300hp in the RDX I would understand the extra octane, but it makes the same power (at the same compression ratio) as the Accord (well... technically 1hp more, but I would bet this is just a difference in the exhaust flow).

Last edited by chickdr; 12-05-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Racer

Well you do bring up an interesting point in general. My first question would be, Does the Accord engine have the same HP, torque, and valve timing specs? And are the engine codes the same? If so, you could be onto something.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Since I spent the extra money to buy an Acura, I decided not to cheap-out on the gasoline.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Racer

Well you do bring up an interesting point in general. My first question would be, Does the Accord engine have the same HP, torque, and valve timing specs? And are the engine codes the same? If so, you could be onto something.
sorry I didnt see your last edit...i understand your skepticism on this.....
Old 12-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't understand either. Why can't they put the Accord engine into RDX? It seems the engines are different based on the hp and emission tier

RDXEngine3.5-litre, 24-valve SOHC i-VTEC® V6Horsepower279 hp @ 6200 rpmTorque252 lb.-ft. @ 4900 rpm Displacement3471 cc Bore and stroke89 x 93 mmCompression ratio 10.5:1EmissionsTier 2 Bin 5 Active Control Engine Mount (ACM) systemVariable Cylinder Management® (VCM®)Multi-Point Programmed Fuel Injection system (PGM-FI®)Recommended fuelPremium unleadedHorsepower and torque calculations reflect SAE net, Rev. 08/04, SAE J1349 procedures.

Accord

3.5-litre, 24-valve, SOHC, i-VTEC® V6
Engine horsepower @ rpm 278 @ 6200
Engine torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 252 @ 4900
Displacement (cc) 3471
Emissions rating Tier 3 Bin 125
Bore and stroke (mm) 89 x 93
Compression ratio 10.5:1
Multi-Point Programmed Fuel Injection system (PGM-FI®)
Variable Cylinder Management® (VCM®)
Recommended fuel Regular
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
If you get a chance please ask the shop foreman why it would be the exact same engine in the Accord V6 requires 87 while the RDX is said to require 91.....

There is absolutely no logic to this. If you told me the earth dreams motor required 91 I would understand as it is more advanced and better able to adapt/benefit from the higher octane.
He's in Phoenix. I will ask him next time I see him. I understand your issue, fully. Note, though, that premium is only 'recommended', not required. His comment is the engine is tuned for best performance with hi test. Interesting in Kareshi's post that the emissions is different between the two; however, I have no idea what causes that difference????

I know he is pretty knowledgeable about Honda/Acura products, so maybe he can tell me if there is any difference between the Accord V6 and the RDX V6....Now you have me interested.

To be honest, I always figured it was an EarthDream motor in our RDX, even though the engine cover doesn't say it, like it does on my Ridgeline. He said the EarthDream is an evolutionary step up from the regular 3.5, with a much cleaner burn and less emissions...
Old 12-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Doobiewah
He's in Phoenix. I will ask him next time I see him. I understand your issue, fully. Note, though, that premium is only 'recommended', not required. His comment is the engine is tuned for best performance with hi test. Interesting in Kareshi's post that the emissions is different between the two; however, I have no idea what causes that difference????

I know he is pretty knowledgeable about Honda/Acura products, so maybe he can tell me if there is any difference between the Accord V6 and the RDX V6....Now you have me interested.

To be honest, I always figured it was an EarthDream motor in our RDX, even though the engine cover doesn't say it, like it does on my Ridgeline. He said the EarthDream is an evolutionary step up from the regular 3.5, with a much cleaner burn and less emissions...
While I don't see wikipedia as a reliable source of info, the engine codes for the accord and RDX are identical. My one question though, is does the Accord V6 also shut off cylinders? If the answer is yes, then I don't understand why they want premium. If the answer is no, then I think that is the key as to why the RDX recommends premium and the Accord does not.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
While I don't see wikipedia as a reliable source of info, the engine codes for the accord and RDX are identical. My one question though, is does the Accord V6 also shut off cylinders? If the answer is yes, then I don't understand why they want premium. If the answer is no, then I think that is the key as to why the RDX recommends premium and the Accord does not.
Considering the fact the plants which make the Accord and RDX are equidistant from Honda manufacturing in Ohio it makes sense they would use the same motor.

The Accord has the same cylinder deactivation as well.... They talk about it in this C&D review of the '16 Accord V6: 2016 Honda Accord V-6 Sedan Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Last edited by chickdr; 12-06-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kareshi
I don't understand either. Why can't they put the Accord engine into RDX? It seems the engines are different based on the hp and emission tier

RDXEngine3.5-litre, 24-valve SOHC i-VTEC® V6Horsepower279 hp @ 6200 rpmTorque252 lb.-ft. @ 4900 rpm Displacement3471 cc Bore and stroke89 x 93 mmCompression ratio 10.5:1EmissionsTier 2 Bin 5 Active Control Engine Mount (ACM) systemVariable Cylinder Management® (VCM®)Multi-Point Programmed Fuel Injection system (PGM-FI®)Recommended fuelPremium unleadedHorsepower and torque calculations reflect SAE net, Rev. 08/04, SAE J1349 procedures.

Accord

3.5-litre, 24-valve, SOHC, i-VTEC® V6
Engine horsepower @ rpm 278 @ 6200
Engine torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 252 @ 4900
Displacement (cc) 3471
Emissions rating Tier 3 Bin 125
Bore and stroke (mm) 89 x 93
Compression ratio 10.5:1
Multi-Point Programmed Fuel Injection system (PGM-FI®)
Variable Cylinder Management® (VCM®)
Recommended fuel Regular
10.5:1 is a relatively high compression ratio in the world of consumer vehicles. Back in the 80's and 90's it was more typical to see compression ratios of 9.5 max This is one of the tactics they use to extract a little more power from an engine these days. and in a very general sense, 91 octane would be a better choice . FWIW my hopped-up 69 Cougar had a 10.4 compression ratio and I always had to use 91 to eliminate knocking. If I retarded the ignition timing that would also eliminate it but overall power was then very negatively affected.
Does anyone know if these engines have variable valve timing?
Also, I tend to think that even if the engines are identical, I bet they download different fuel mapping and ignition timing matrices into the engine ECU at the factory since the RDX is a heavier more truck-like vehicle than the Accord, so there is probably a difference in programming making more low-end torque available on the RDX . I find the RDX already quite jumpy off a standing start with just a little movement of the accelerator, I bet if they used the same mapping in the Accord, it would be unpleasant to drive. The opening of the throttle body plate is electronically controlled in the RDX, there is no cable between the pedal and throttle body, so the response of the throttle plate opening is (and is most likely) controlled by programming. The point of all this is that nowadays, programming the engine management system controls a helluva lot more than it used to.

Now I am willing to consider running 89...but not so sure I am willing to run 87.

Last edited by Skidoor; 12-06-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Pro

I don't understand why folks continue to beat this one to death. The mfr. recommends 91 so why not just use 91 and find something else to complicate your life?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Racer

its because 91 costs a lot more...this matters to some of us and we want to see justification in cold hard facts.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Pro

You knew about 91 going in - or should have.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Acuras cost a lot more than other cars too..
Old 12-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I am interested in this premium vs. regular fuel topic. Consumer Reports (Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas - Consumer Reports ) and AAA ( U.S. Drivers Waste $2.1 Billion Annually on Premium Gasoline | AAA NewsRoom) both say that premium fuel is a waste of money if the owner's manual only ' recommends ' premium. They both recommend Top Tier detergent Fuels (Home | Top Tier Gas) to help keep the engine clean.

I have been running regular Exxon and Shell in my '17 RDX. I can't tell the difference. The mileage looks the same. Saving about 40 cents per gallon.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

it's been beaten to death already and there is no conclusion. Do what you'd like in your own car.

https://www.google.com/search?q=regu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Here's the first page of Google results from our site alone:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...remium-859183/
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...ar-gas-950688/
https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...please-870434/
https://acurazine.com/forums/first-g...ar-gas-657730/
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...um-gas-820356/
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...m-fuel-942196/
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p...-times-886987/
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...r-fuel-504813/
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...r-fuel-504813/
Old 12-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dirleton
You knew about 91 going in - or should have.
was not one of my decision factors

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Acuras cost a lot more than other cars too..
irrelevant
Old 12-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

was not one of my decision factors

irrelevant

Why irrelevant? Isn't the point of any of these threads potential 'cost savings'? If you bought a car that only asked for regular gas, you could have saved money on the car outright AND save 40 cents per gallon!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by R. White
I am interested in this premium vs. regular fuel topic. Consumer Reports (Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas - Consumer Reports ) and AAA ( U.S. Drivers Waste $2.1 Billion Annually on Premium Gasoline AAA NewsRoom) both say that premium fuel is a waste of money if the owner's manual only ' recommends ' premium. They both recommend Top Tier detergent Fuels (Home Top Tier Gas) to help keep the engine clean.

I have been running regular Exxon and Shell in my '17 RDX. I can't tell the difference. The mileage looks the same. Saving about 40 cents per gallon.

"AAA cautions drivers that premium gasoline is higher octane, not higher quality, and urges drivers to follow the owner’s manual recommendations for their vehicle’s fuel."

"To protect vehicle investments, AAA urges drivers to use the appropriate gasoline as determined by their car’s manufacturer --- "
Old 12-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Racer

A lot of previous discussion there, that for sure. But this is what's gonna happen in a forum where the vehicles in question don't give us much else to talk about due to newness and reliability
Old 12-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Why irrelevant? Isn't the point of any of these threads potential 'cost savings'? If you bought a car that only asked for regular gas, you could have saved money on the car outright AND save 40 cents per gallon!
well just because I spent extra $$ on the vehicle itself doesn't mean I'm OK with spending extra money just to operate it for the next 10 years..unless running regular fuel means a blown head gasket in 8 years time
Old 12-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Pro

well just because I spent extra $$ on the vehicle itself doesn't mean I'm OK with spending extra money just to operate it for the next 10 years..unless running regular fuel means a blown head gasket in 8 years time

Time to take your tilting to a different windmill.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
More likely, it'll be a hole in a piston...or two.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jcross1231
More likely, it'll be a hole in a piston...or two.
Oh yes- using 87 octane in an engine that requires 87 in the Honda version will certainly ruin the motor.....

The argument about buying a "premium car" doesn't hold water in light of the engine in the V6 Accord. Nobody has come up with a justification yet other than that it says it in the manual. I wouldn't call it "cheaping out" when there is no reason to be spending .40 gallon more.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dirleton
Time to take your tilting to a different windmill.
I can only assume you're saying I should buzz off.......nice....